008

Up To Chance

 

008

 


 

It was almost ten o’clock when Junhong and Yongguk finally had their dinner, seated at a low table in front of the TV. Junhong was shovelling the noodles into his mouth at the speed of light as Yongguk browsed through the channels beside him. The man wasn’t lying when he said he made really awesome ramen.

Mochi and Tigger were curled together lazily, getting ready to sleep. For once, Junhong’s dog didn’t seem eager for his attention, but the omega was too busy eating to care.

Yongguk paused for a bit on a specific channel, and Junhong recognised the crescent logo in the corner of the screen.

“Oh, that’s Jongup’s family’s channel,” he said through a mouthful of noodles.

MoonTV was a very popular channel. According to research, it had the second highest ratings for a national channel last year, which was why Jongup’s parents were so busy all the time. Moon Juhyeon had her own talk show, where she revealed exclusive stories that were unheard of. No one knew where she got the news, but Junhong guessed it was from her connections – even his mother had gone to Juhyeon when she wanted to reveal the marriage to the public.

Junhong recognised his best friend’s mother on the screen, and realised that her show had just started.

“Want to watch?” Yongguk asked, and Junhong shrugged. The show wasn’t exactly Junhong’s first choice, but he didn’t mind watching from it every once in a while. The alpha set down the remote and continued eating his dinner.

After a while, Junhong realised that she was talking about corruption in politics, a topic that probably served her conspiracy theorist viewers well. Jongup had occasionally told him about the crazy fans his mother had, who viewed her as a god for ‘revealing the universe’s secrets’ or something.

Yongguk didn’t seem any more interested in the topic, so Junhong interrupted their silence by twisting his body so he was half-facing the screen and half-facing Yongguk. “Hyung, before I forget, are there any rules you want me to follow? I’m living in your house, so...”

Yongguk seemed caught off guard by the question, he was still eating after all. He swallowed his food and shook his head. “I’m not your dad, Junhong. There aren’t any rules in this place; it’s your home just as much as it is mine.”

Junhong nodded happily, returning his attention back to his bowl. Maybe he could ask the elder to go swimming with him sometime, then.

(He didn’t want to admit that he wanted the alpha to swim so he could check him out easily.)

“That reminds me of a few things though,” Yongguk spoke. “I’d like it if you could text me when you’re going to be home late though – like, after 10 – just so I’m not worrying about you,” Yongguk continued, oblivious to the omega’s not-so-innocent thoughts. His eyes searched Junhong’s to see if he was okay with that. The omega agreed; that seemed reasonable and easy enough. Junhong doubted he would ever be out that late anyway, his social calendar wasn’t exactly filled.

Thinking that was the end of the discussion, he shifted around, but Yongguk spoke again, “Don’t bother with those heat suppressants anymore either.”

The boy froze and faced him again.

“But my mother...” he trailed off. His mother probably wouldn’t care anymore, now that she wouldn’t see him.

“She’s not in charge of you,” Yongguk said sharply, but his tone softened when he saw how confused Junhong was. “You can still use the suppressants, if you really want, but I think it’d be better if you didn’t risk your life,” the alpha said, and Junhong could see that he had thought about it a lot – he had thought about him a lot. “If your heat is truly ‘dangerous’, we’ll sort it out together okay? No offense to your mother, but one of the things I learnt in med school was that having heats is better for your health, not the opposite.”

He didn’t mention that one of the lines in the contract directly stated that “under no circumstances will Choi Junhong change his medical prescription, until he is at least 19 years of age.” He frowned, realising that Junhong didn’t say anything either – but he had guessed that the younger hadn’t read the contract before signing it. His parents probably didn’t let him.

“Okay...” Junhong murmured. He still had another three months until his next heat, plenty of time, but he felt anxious already.

Yongguk gave him a reassuring smile, and he felt himself relax. The alpha just had that effect on him. As much as he tried to suppress his feelings, Junhong admitted that his trust for the alpha already surpassed the trust he had for his family.

“Co-CEO of Bang Hospitals Bang Yongguk – ”

The alpha’s head snapped up at the mention of his name and he scowled at the TV screen, seeing Juhyeon.

“ – and Choi Junhong, social media celebrity and son of Choi Pharmaceutics CEO, have recently announced their marriage.”

Junhong cringed at the mention of his name and tucked his legs up to his chest, but Yongguk picked up the remote to increase the volume. The omega glanced at his face, but he was as stoic as usual.

“I’ve personally met Choi Junhong a few times, he’s a lovely boy, but many have begun speculating that there is another motive in their marriage. They never even mentioned they knew each other, and suddenly they’re married. Not to mention that Junhong isn’t even legal yet...”

Junhong’s heart stopped and he could feel a cold sweat forming on his body. So far, the public had adored their relationship – Junhong assumed it had something to do with the fact that they were both young and attractive – but no one had actually stopped to think about sudden it actually was.

Moon Juhyeon was about to reveal something to the public that his parents had tried desperately to keep secret.

During the couple of times that Junhong had seen Juhyeon when he went over to Jongup’s house, he had never gotten the impression that Juhyeon hated him. At least not enough to humiliate his family on national television.

“Let’s see some eviden –

Yongguk switched off the TV. He had seen how upset Junhong looked, and could tell that the younger was deep in thought. Even in the silence, Junhong’s mood didn’t lift. Yongguk commented offhandedly, “I didn’t realise her show was for gossip.”

He fortunately got his desired effect, and Junhong’s frown lifted, “I know right? Uppie-hyung refuses to watch her show because he thinks she acts really fake.”

Yongguk’s lips pressed in a flat line when he noticed the affection in Junhong’s tone when he talked about his ‘Uppie-hyung’. “I see.”

Their ramen bowls, empty, were pushed in front of them, and Junhong made the first move to grab them in an attempt to forget about Moon Juhyeon.

“I can do it.” Yongguk moved to take them from the omega, but Junhong held them protectively to his chest, shaking his head.

“You said this is my home too, so I’ll do some of the chores,” the boy justified, turning around to carry the dishes to the kitchen. He could hear Yongguk’s footsteps following him, and he couldn’t deny that Yongguk’s constant company made him happy.

“You really don’t have to, Junhongie,” Yongguk stood behind the kitchen counter and watched the younger place the dishes in the sink and begin hunting for a sponge and dish detergent.

To his surprise, Junhong turned around and stuck his tongue out childishly, “Too bad, hyung.”

He was honestly too cute, Yongguk thought to himself.

 “Are you sure you don’t need any help?”

“Hyung, please. It’s only two bowls,” Junhong rolled his eyes as he began washing. Yongguk even found the younger’s stubbornness adorable – he really had fallen for him.

Watching Junhong wash the dishes was a sight that Yongguk looked forward to seeing more of; not because he was washing, but because he just looked so natural, in his duck-printed pyjama shorts and hair still damp from his shower.

Without a word, Yongguk started helping by rinsing the soap off the dishes, and Junhong released a cute huff. The alpha laughed and nudged his side, making his pout disappear.

After washing up, they both settled into the living room again. The TV was again, playing a marathon of some comedy show that Junhong seemed a lot more invested in than Yongguk. Junhong sat on the floor with Mochi in his lap, and Yongguk sat behind him on the couch, playing with Tigger.

After a couple of episodes passed, Tigger quickly grew tired and refused to play anymore, scampering into Junhong’s lap as well for some pats. Yongguk got out his phone soon after and sat up straight, his attention solely on his phone.

Junhong’s curiosity piqued, wondering what the older man could be so concentrated on. He placed the two dogs in his lap on the floor before he leaned back to try peeking at the phone screen.

“Hyung, what are you doing?”

Yongguk tried to hide it, but Junhong was too fast, on the verge of laughter when he saw what the man was looking at, “Are you really checking your stocks?”

“Personal economics is important,” Yongguk defended, and Junhong moved so he was sitting on the couch as well, so close that their sides were touching. Almost instinctually, Yongguk wrapped an arm around the boy’s shoulders, as Junhong took his phone from his hands. He stared at the webpage, trying to make some sense out of the numbers but it was late, and he really didn’t like math.

“I thought the sharemarket closed in the afternoon,” Junhong said, and Yongguk smiled.

“Smart,” he pinched Junhong’s cheek, and the other began blushing. Yongguk continued, watching the way the red spread on his cheeks – Junhong was so adorable, “I just do this for fun, sometimes.”

“For fun?” he repeated in disbelief.

Yongguk nodded.

“Hey hyung, were you a nerd in school?” Junhong asked, trying to contain his laughter. “You could do other things that aren’t so boring, you know.”

“I wasn’t a nerd,” Yongguk poked at Junhong’s sides, making the boy laugh even harder. “Junhongie, are you ticklish?” Through his laughter, Junhong tried to shake his head, but Yongguk wasn’t fooled.

Junhong gasped for air, trying to grab at the man’s wrists but failing. He wriggled and scrambled away from the man, but Yongguk wrapped his arms around the younger’s waist to stop him from leaving. The man pulled him back, and Junhong fell into his lap with the grace of an elephant, arms flailing and laughing all the while.

“Okay, hyung, I’m sorry!” Junhong was red and flustered, and at the sight of watery eyes, the alpha stopped teasing him with his fingers. Junhong wasn’t upset at all, but he rubbed his sides as he sat up.

“Did it hurt?” Yongguk questioned apologetically, and Junhong shook his head, still smiling. Even in his crumpled pyjamas with his hair ruffled, Junhong was the picture of angelic innocence. The alpha pinched his cheek again, “You’re so adorable.

The boy opened his mouth to say something in protest, but he was interrupted by Yongguk’s ringtone blaring from his phone. He pouted and handed his phone over, frowning to himself.

Yongguk ruffled his hair apologetically as he answered the phone, putting an end to the sound of his awful default ringtone.

“Bang Yongguk speaking.”

Junhong stared at him for a while, but as soon as he realised it was just another boring business call, his attention returned to the TV. The alpha stood up and walked to the kitchen, not wanting to disturb the younger.

“Sir, it’s Youngjae. Are you familiar with the show The Moon Juhyeon Exclusive?” Youngjae’s voice was rushed, and Yongguk furrowed his eyebrows.

“Yes. Is this about the story tonight?” The alpha asked, his voice calm. After a few years in the business, he had learned how to control his tone so that no one could tell what he was truly feeling. He had switched off Moon Juhyeon’s show for Junhong’s sake, but he didn’t know what else she had said.

“Yes sir. She reported that both you and Junhong-ssi are only married for business.”

“I only caught the first half of the show. Isn’t it all just speculation?”

“She had logic and personal evidence. The report was quite convincing, sir. Many people are enraged right now, especially online.”

“Why do they care?” Yongguk questioned. It seemed ridiculous to him, that people would get so worked up over his business, but he supposed it was something that came with being in the public eye.

“Some think you’re making yourself even wealthier. Jealousy, perhaps?” Youngjae’s voice was urgent, and Yongguk could tell he still had more to say. If there was one thing he liked about Youngjae, it was that he was never distracted by details. “Sir, after seeing the report, some of the workers at the Bang Building tried to save your image. You know how passionate they are about... well, you and Junhong-ssi.”

“What did they do.” Yongguk sighed, sounding less like a question and more like a demand. Obviously something worse must’ve happened for Youngjae to call him at eleven.

“Hyerim accessed the security cameras of the day Junhong came to the Bang Building, and released the recordings. She believed that those recordings could prove that both of you had feelings for each other that were more than professional. She also released evidence of your weekly donations to UNICEF and the 1004 orphanage, so the public know that you’re not just keeping the money selfishly.”

“Those receipts aren’t meant to be released, Youngjae,” Yongguk gritted his teeth, irritated beyond belief – his charity work wasn’t meant to be made public. He strongly believed that recognition ruined the point of charity – giving and not expecting anything in return.

“I know, sir...” the secretary seemed reluctant to continue. “Hyerim wasn’t authorised to access them either. Instead of clearing any misunderstandings, those recordings and receipts only encouraged the public to direct their anger towards Junhong-ssi. I heard they’re attacking his social media accounts.”

Yongguk shut his eyes, trying to contain his anger. He could deal with the hate himself, but involving Junhong was the worst thing that could have happened.

“He has nothing to do with this,” he barely managed to hold down a growl.

“The public doesn’t understand that, sir. They think he’s only after your money.”

“That’s ridiculous.” Yongguk ran a hand through his hair, frustrated. He took a deep breath. He couldn’t yell at his secretary; he was only trying to tell him what was happening. “I appreciate this, Youngjae. Are you free tomorrow?” Even though it was a Saturday, Yongguk sometimes worked over the weekend if he really needed to. He had been planning not to – he actually wanted to hang out with Junhong for a couple of days – but with this news, he had no choice. Junhong was his priority, after all.

“Yes, sir.”

“We’ll discuss our action plan then. Meet me at the Building at 7.”

“Yes, sir. Before you go, is there anything you would like me to do about Hyerim?” It was unspoken, but Youngjae was hinting at firing her. Yongguk would have – making Junhong the enemy of public eye was unforgivable – but he knew she only meant the best by releasing those recordings. He couldn’t punish loyalty.

"Sir... If I may offer my two cents... I doubt she would do it again," the secretary said.

 “Just give her a strike for unauthorised viewing of my funds,” Yongguk decided. “I’ll talk to her about impulsive actions sometime this week, hopefully she won’t do it again.”

“I'm sure she won't, sir. Have a good night.”

“You too, Youngjae.”

Yongguk hung up and sighed yet again, feeling both annoyed and tired. He took a quick look at his watch. It was almost midnight; hopefully Junhong would go to sleep without checking his Instagram or Twitter account. The younger hadn’t used his phone since dinner, so he could hopefully remain innocently unaware of the drama that was currently occurring.

When Yongguk stepped out of the kitchen, growing cold at the sight he was met with.

In the living room, Junhong was staring at his phone, the childish happiness gone from his face. His face was pale, and he was sitting so still that even Mochi pawed at his leg in worry.

As Yongguk neared, he could see that the boy was trembling, his fingers shaking from what was most likely shock as he continued reading the comments. Yongguk read the comments over his shoulder, his eyes widening when he saw how cruel they were. Not one person anything remotely positive; it was as if his fans had forgotten that Junhong was only an 18 year old boy who just loved dancing.

Hundreds of comments poured in every second, toxic messages delivering hits to the boy’s self-confidence. To them, he was fake, untalented, worthless.

Yongguk couldn’t handle reading any more.

“Junhong-ah, stop reading those.” Yongguk gently pried the phone from Junhong’s grip and set it down on the floor. The omega stared forlornly at the phone, and Yongguk took his hand to help him up, “How about we go to bed? It’s getting late.” He began leading him back upstairs, leaving the phone in the living room.

Junhong followed him obediently, but Yongguk could tell his thoughts were still on the malicious comment he’d read.

When they reached Junhong’s room, the grip on Yongguk’s hand tightened timidly. The alpha looked back in surprise, but he immediately softened when he saw how nervous Junhong looked.

“It’s not true, hyung...” the younger said desperately, staring at Yongguk with wide eyes. He clutched Yongguk’s hand tighter, as if trying to convince him. “You know that, right?”

 “I know, Junnie. They don’t understand what’s happening,” the alpha coaxed, but Junhong shook his head.

“I mean, what they’re saying... about me only marrying you for money.” Junhong confessed. Yongguk knew Junhong didn’t marry him for money, the omega wasn’t superficial at all. He’d agreed to the marriage out of his love and loyalty to his parents, and that was an admirable quality. Even if Yongguk did sometimes wish Junhong had married him out of his own will, he knew the younger was too young to reciprocate his feelings – hell, he doubted Junhong would like him back even if he was older. Yongguk was content just having Junhong under the same roof as him.

“Go to sleep baby. Try to forget about those comments, alright?” he couldn’t help the endearment from slipping out of his mouth.

Junhong stiffened suddenly, but nodded.

He released Yongguk’s hand from his and opened his bedroom door, hesitating for a moment before turning again. It seemed like an eternity passed with him standing there, thinking of what to say next.

“Hyung, I didn’t marry you because of my parents either.”

His voice was quiet, and his eyes didn’t meet Yongguk’s at first. He stared at the floor in front of him, before raising his head to meet Yongguk’s gaze. He looked at the man with a mixture of nervousness and hope, heart pounding in his chest.

If Junhong didn’t marry him because of his parents, then why did he?

The alpha froze when he realised the meaning of Junhong’s words.

Surely, it couldn’t be...

Junhong’s heart sunk when he saw Yongguk still, and after a few moments of no reaction, he took a step back, trembling. Embarrassment and humiliation prickled his skin for the second time that night.

Before he could hide in his room, Yongguk grabbed Junhong’s hand again, staring at him seriously. “Junhong... do you mean...” he didn’t finish his sentence, but Junhong nodded silently, eyes trained on the floor.

If he was honest, maybe Yongguk would just let him go back into his room and never bring it up again.

“I’m sorry, hyung... I know it makes things awkward between us but I can’t – I couldn’t...” He was flustered, at a loss for words. He gave up, hanging his head.

The elder was quiet, staring at him without a word.

Yongguk was probably disgusted with him. He probably thought that his feelings were childish. How could Junhong have possibly thought there was even a slight chance that Yongguk liked him back? He was a pitiable university student and the elder was mature, smart, and respectable.

He wasn’t paying attention when Yongguk stepped forward to press a kiss to his lips. It was gentle, assuring, and affectionate, just like Yongguk always was to Junhong. The omega melted against the other, holding his hand tighter.

Yongguk could feel the softness of the other’s lips against his own, and he wanted so badly to push the younger against the door and kiss him roughly, but he knew he couldn’t overstep his boundaries. Junhong had already been through so much.

With reluctance, he separated from the younger, his inner alpha screaming for him to meld their lips together again, to kiss the omega until he forgot about everything that was going on. Yongguk knew it wasn’t appropriate at all, and he didn’t give into his alpha instincts. He couldn’t.

Junhong was left as speechless after the kiss as he was before it, stuttering as his cheeks flared with a bright pink. Yongguk smiled at his cuteness and murmured, “Sleep well, Junhongie. I’ll sort everything out tomorrow.”

“N-Night, Yongguk-hyung,” the omega stammered before almost slamming his bedroom door shut.

Yongguk smiled to himself, a euphoric happiness washing over him as he made his way to his room. He almost couldn’t believe what had just happened – it felt as if he was dreaming.

On the other side of the door, Junhong was thinking the same thing – only, he was freaking out. He screamed silently and then jumped onto his bed, hugging the life out of Zelo.

Maybe Yongguk would go swimming with him tomorrow.

 


 

catch me @junhng on tumblr!!

i don't like this chapter :[ but i hope you guys do; i'm trying to update regularly but i've been a lil busy;;

the drama starts now!!

anyway, tell me what you think!! (i promise you the next chapter is 10x better than this one) (spoiler: swimming pool ;) )