015

Up To Chance

 

015

(tw: description of violence and blood)

 


 

It took a long time for Jongup to be convinced to leave the hallway, long enough for the three nurses to come in and help Yongguk. Yongnam was nowhere to be found, but Jongup couldn’t care less, when he could hear Yongguk shouting orders and the beeping of machines from within the room. Jongup didn’t think much of Yongguk at all, but he knew that he was the best doctor in the hospital.

He wasn’t crying anymore but he hadn’t stopped shaking since he came in. Junhong gave him his coat and rubbed his back like any good friend would, but Jongup couldn’t focus on the omega at all.

He could remember Himchan shuddering in his arms, whispering incoherently, and the blood. There was so much blood, too much blood. Seeping into their clothes, staining their skin... When he closed his eyes, Jongup could only see red.

You’re going to be okay,” Jongup had muttered into the beta’s neck. It was a promise. He could feel every breath the man took, his chest heaving as he fought to stay conscious. His heartbeat was weak, but he still lifted his hand to Jongup’s face, eyes struggling to see what was in front of him.

Jongup’s biggest regret was that he couldn’t make out what Himchan had said last before his eyes rolled back.

He was going to be fine. He had to be fine.

He was snapped out of his daze by the sound of machines. The beeps were quiet, but assuring; as long as he could hear the machines, Himchan was still alive.

He didn’t want to leave – what if something happened when he wasn’t there? – but he allowed the omega to pull him away into a bathroom and try to clean up the blood. Jongup was okay with that, but it was beginning to dry, which was meant Junhong had to scrub at some places more vigorously to clean him up.

It hurt.

“What happened?” Junhong asked, after he had cleaned the other up and confirmed that he wasn’t bleeding from anywhere. Jongup wasn’t hurt. Not as much as Himchan. He wondered if Himchan was still bleeding.

“People wanted to know about Blood Omegas,” he said quietly, not lifting his head to meet Junhong’s eyes, “because of the news article.”

Dread filled his body. “Who were they?”

“I don’t know,” Jongup tried to collect himself, but he was still trembling. His eyes were rimmed red, “We were going home. Four of them… from around the corner, I didn’t even see them.”

Himchan was promising to make him hot chocolate when they went home, when they came. One of them approached him first, but before he could even come close, Himchan had flung him off.

“They… hurt Himchan?”

He didn’t want to remember. “Himchan got them first, but they ran away. He was still okay; we were going back into the car. I thought it was over.” His voice felt raw in his throat, “There was another one, he came from behind. Himchan didn’t see him coming.” His voice broke. Himchan had crumpled onto the floor, but not before the man slid a knife into his stomach.

Jongup could remember the satisfying crack of his fist slamming into the assailant’s face.

Junhong couldn’t imagine how Jongup felt. “Hyung, you should talk to the police… They should be arrested.”

“Not until I know Himchan is okay,” Jongup said firmly. He didn’t want to tell Junhong that he wasn’t planning on going to the police, until he had talked to his mother. She was the cause of this – if she didn’t stick her nose into Junhong’s business, if she had just given up, Himchan wouldn’t be in the emergency room, fighting for each breath.

Jongup’s entire world was dying, and it was his mother’s fault.

“Are you sure?” Junhong didn’t seem convinced, looking worried.

“I’m not leaving, Junhong,” Jongup told him.

The omega took one look at his face, and sat down next to him, waiting for his alpha to come out of the room.

 

“Jongup, can I talk to you?” was the first thing Yongguk said two hours later.

Jongup was up on his feet in an instant. “Is he going to be okay?” he demanded, trying to read Yongguk’s expression. The alpha was serious, but he didn’t look too somber.

Junhong was hovering nervously behind him. Yongguk glanced at the omega, and immediately sighed. “Junhong, you can only listen in if Jongup allows you to. Patient confidentiality.”

“I don’t care, tell me,” Jongup growled.

Giving up, Yongguk said, “He’s currently in a good condition. We fixed the bleeding; the stab wound went pretty deep, but it didn’t puncture anything important. He still needs help breathing, but he’ll be fully healed in a few days.”

Jongup’s shoulders relaxed.

“Unfortunately, his head was impacted with a blunt force that caused trauma to his brain, most likely caused by falling over and slamming his head on the cement. He’s in a coma,” Yongguk stated, and Jongup’s heart stopped.

“A coma?” he repeated.

“Comas aren’t like they’re portrayed in the movies,” the other alpha said calmly, his eyes darting to Junhong. The omega’s mouth was opened and he looked like he was about to cry as well. He returned his focus back to the other alpha, “He could wake up in an hour, or tomorrow, or next month. We don’t know when he will, but until then, we can keep him on support.”

Jongup nodded wordlessly, and Junhong hugged him tightly from behind.

“He’ll be okay,” Junhong murmured.

The alpha wiped his eyes, before muttering at Yongguk, “Call Hyerim and Youngjae and let them know what happened.”

Yongguk agreed easily. “Would you like Yongnam to drive you home?”

“Yeah… but not until I see Hyerim and Youngjae,” the alpha swallowed. He had to apologise to the both of them.

Now that he knew Himchan was mostly okay, the worry he felt was replaced with a blinding rage for his mother, but he knew she wouldn’t be home until much later. He would see her after she finished filming The Moon Juhyeon Exclusive and unleash all his rage then.

Jongup loved his mother, but he couldn’t forgive her for this.

Yongguk pulled out his phone, looking through his contacts.

“Good afternoon Youngjae. Yes, I’m aware you requested leave; this is a personal matter. Moon Jongup tells me you’re friends with Kim Himchan? He’s in the hospital. If you could come immediately… No, he’s not in critical condition. Yes, I will contact Hyerim. Alright, see you soon.”

“Hyerim, please call one of the first-floor office workers to cover your shift. Your brother is at Bang Hospital and is recovering from surgery. I understand that it’s not the hospital he usually attends, but he was near death... He’s fine now, but in a coma. Perhaps you could contact your mother…?”

Yongguk put his phone into his pocket and told Jongup, “The nurses are going to Himchan to one of the hospital rooms now. It’s a private room, and there are multiple seats available. If you would like, I could talk to security about allowing you inside outside of visiting hours…?”

It was against the rules, but Yongguk owned the place. If Junhong was in Himchan’s position, he would want to see him every minute of the day. Besides, it was the least he could do for the younger alpha.

Jongup nodded, just as the doors opened and the stretcher was wheeled out by two nurses. Himchan was resting beneath a hospital sheet, peacefully unconscious. The blood had been cleaned off and he was fitted into hospital clothes, but Junhong had to cover his mouth when he saw him, still shocked at how injured he was.

Jongup let out a breath he didn’t know he was holding, rushing over to follow the stretcher through the hallways and into an elevator. When the elevator doors closed, Junhong and Yongguk were the only ones left outside in the hallway.

“Are you alright, Jun?” Yongguk asked. The boy was staring down the hallway, after his best friend. The omega shook his head, face crumbling, and immediately reached out to hug the elder. The man immediately wrapped his arms around him, offering him the support he needed.

“Hyung, it’s my fault…” he mumbled, and Yongguk stopped.

“Junhong, it’s not.”

“If I wasn’t a Blood Omega in the first place, that article wouldn’t have been released, and Himchan wouldn’t have gotten hurt, right?” The alpha shook his head and opened his mouth to disagree, looking confused, but Junhong cut him off, “I know Juhyeon shouldn’t have been researching into it, I knew she could’ve taken off her microphone, but no matter what, I’m still the root of the problem…”

He had been thinking about it for a while, Yongguk realised. He just didn’t want to say it in front of Jongup.

“Junhong, that’s not true at all,” the alpha said firmly. He knew the other needed physical contact, so he pulled him close and stared at him sternly, “No one is blaming you.”

“You’re saying that, but it’s true, hyung. I always ruin things for others.”

Yongguk frowned, “You don’t actually think that… do you?”

“I ruined my family, and now…”

“No, Junhong, stop. Moon Juhyeon’s vendetta…” Yongguk took a deep breath, and the omega before him went silent, “She’s had an issue with the BANG company for a long time. Long before you came into the picture. None of this is your fault, okay?” He reached up to cup Junhong’s cheek, “No one thinks it’s your fault.”

Yongguk suddenly knew why the younger had been so quiet and timid around him when they met. It wasn’t just because he was shy, or because his parents had raised him to be polite. The omega had had an inferiority complex, being an omega surrounded by alphas, most of whom expressed disappointment in him constantly. Junhong never felt like he was good enough for his family, and always tried to be better. He blamed himself for being an omega.

Yongguk tilted his head up to kiss the younger, who relaxed into it, the tension in his body dissolving.

“We’re probably violating a ton of work health and safety laws,” the younger finally murmured, giggling a little, and Yongguk laughed, taking a step back. Junhong beamed up at him, but the smile immediately dropped when he saw that Yongguk was serious again.

“I’m happy that you’re supporting your friend, Junhong, but you can’t skip university everyday,” the alpha frowned. The boy nodded meekly, looking apologetic.

“I’m sorry, hyung.”

“Why are you apologising to me?” the elder asked, enveloping the other in another warm hug and ruffling his hair. “I love you, Junhong.”

“Love you too,” the omega smiled and pecked his cheek.

“I know that you want to stay with Jongup for as long as he needs you, but we should go home,” the alpha said, looking at his watch. Junhong screwed his face up.

“Do we have to?” Junhong whined, and Yongguk pursed his lips together.

“Please, Jun. I don’t want you staying here tonight…”

Fine.

 

Jongup stared at Himchan, his heart pulling at the sight of his chest rising and falling. Distantly, he could hear Hyerim sniffling beside him, and Youngjae consoling her quietly through his own crying.

“I can’t afford to pay his medical bills,” the woman whispered to herself in horror, and Jongup looked over, clearing his throat so his voice wasn’t so raw.

“Everything is covered; it’s in his contract,” he told her, but only some of the weight lifted off her shoulders. He took a deep breath and lowered his head, “I’m so sorry for causing this.”

“It’s not your fault,” Youngjae said quietly, his eyes not leaving Himchan’s form. Jongup’s eyes stung as he saw how heartbroken the omega looked. Youngjae dragged a hand over his eyes.

“He was going to quit next week,” Hyerim murmured, holding her brother’s hand tightly. Her words were broken. “I told him to, so he could go to university and live a normal life. He said he had to look after you first. If he had just…”

If he had just quit yesterday, this wouldn’t have happened.

Jongup’s heart seized. Himchan was going to quit; if he had quit, he wouldn’t have gotten hurt, they could’ve been together. They could’ve been happy.

Hyerim cried into the white sheets.

Youngjae swallowed. He seemed to be thinking about what he was going to say carefully.

“As Himchan’s friend, not Yongguk’s employee, I would advise that you resolve any tensions between your family and the Bang family. It’s hurt too many people already.” Not only Himchan, but Junhong as well. Youngjae made eye contact with him for a fleeting moment; his words felt more like a threat than a light suggestion.

“I will,” Jongup promised, but he couldn’t help but feel the pressure of his words. The alpha was already going to confront his mother, but Youngjae only made him realise that he should’ve done it sooner, instead of waiting for Himchan to get hurt.

After a few minutes, the alpha slipped out of the room, feeling suffocated.

Hyerim barely noticed his disappearance, but managed a small smile, although it only looked sad, “Himchan told me not to get involved into their business.”

Youngjae shrugged. “Someone had to do it.”

Their eyes fell on the body between them, and quietened.

After a few minutes, Hyerim broke the silence. “DAE came around to the office to look for you today. He seemed pretty upset…”

Youngjae didn’t say anything, sighing.

“Yongnam seemed pretty annoyed too.”

Youngjae froze. The last thing he wanted was to involve his personal life with his work, but Daehyun had already searched for him, in the BANG building. It made him feel wanted, knowing that the idol really did want him to feature on a song, but it also made him uncomfortable; Youngjae was out of his mind when Daehyun asked, it was unfair to take advantage of a drunk person like that.

It wasn’t that he didn’t want to see Daehyun again, Youngjae just wanted to be more than a voice. Especially to someone he idolised, like DAE…

Avoiding his problems was immature, but hopefully Daehyun would get it. The sooner the idol forgot about him, the better.

He was snapped out of his thoughts by Jongup coming back inside, holding bottles of water for both of them.

“You can stay for as long as you want,” the alpha said quietly, before settling himself down on the floor beside Himchan. He rested his head on the bed and closed his eyes, the events of the day finally catching up to him.

When he woke up again, the room was dark. There was a container on the table besides Himchan’s bed, with a sticky note that read ‘hey Jonguppie, Yongguk hyung made me go home. If you need me, call any time, ok? - Junhong’

The alpha balled the sticky note up and sighed, opening the container. Of course Junhong knew what to get him, but even fried chicken couldn’t cheer him up.

If Jongup was in his right mind, he would’ve heard the sound of heels clicking down the hallways of the hospital, but he was too busy eating his dinner and wondering what Himchan would’ve ordered if they had gone to eat together.

Jongup only noticed the sound of the doorknob turning, and then the heels were entering the room.

He turned, eyes immediately hardening. He swallowed.

“Mom.”

“Jonguppie,” the woman greeted, her eyes sympathetic as she saw the bed. “I heard the news.”

Hyerim inhaled sharply, and Juhyeon raised a brow, as if only just realising the two others in the room. Her attention returned back to her son. “Let’s talk outside.”

The hospital was mostly empty; Yongguk had told the night staff to allow Jongup, Hyerim and Youngjae to stay, although he told them they could only stay in Himchan’s room, or go to the bathroom. Jongup followed his mother outside, the rage in his chest doubling when she said,

“I’m glad you weren’t hurt.”

“What’s your problem?” he demanded angrily, taking a step forward. The woman flinched at his volume, but stayed silent. “When will you stop, mom? Your plans to get back at Yongguk have backfired every single time, when will you leave him alone!?” His yell echoed through the hallways. He wouldn’t be surprised if Hyerim and Youngjae could hear.

“Jongup, I thought this was what you wanted–”

“You thought I would want my best friend to be humiliated? To have his secrets revealed to millions of people? You thought I would want my bodyguard,” he couldn’t stop the tears as he choked out, “the love of my life, dying?”

Juhyeon didn’t look surprised at the news, but tightened.

Jongup was seething in anger, but he forced himself to speak quietly. “Mom, I never forgave Yongguk, but I never did this either. If I can let it go, why can’t you?”

“He ruined you, Jongup,” the woman finally said. She glowered, “Why don’t you want to hurt him like he hurt you?”

“He was twenty-one, mom,” the alpha bit out. “Who wants to be forced into a marriage with a sixteen year old kid when they’re twenty-one?”

“He was cruel to you – ”

“So you thought you’d be cruel back? No, mom, you wanted revenge because the marriage didn’t work out,” the alpha snapped, his eyes flaring.

 “No, Jongup,” the woman looked horrified. “I wanted revenge because he treated you like you were nothing to him.”

“It doesn’t matter to you how he treated me,” Jongup clenched his fists, “because it’s between me and him. Not you.”

She quietened, and Jongup knew she had given up.

“I want you to apologise. To Himchan. To Junhong. Youngjae and Hyerim. Even Yongguk. You are going to do everything to make sure Himchan heals properly, and that he gets to live the best life a man can live, because he ing deserves it. And you’re going to find a way to cover up the Blood Omega story or I will never call myself your son ever again.”

Jongup finished his rant, breathing heavily and barely containing his rage.

“I thought I was doing the right thing.”

Her words were quiet.

Jongup couldn’t look her in the eye anymore. He turned around and walked back into the room.

 


 

@junhng

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tell me what you think of this chapter!