022

Up To Chance

 

 

022

 


 

When Jongup woke up in the morning, he was greeted by a murderous-looking Junhong, staring at him from above. He jolted back, only for Himchan to murmur sleepily next to him and tighten his arms around him.

Yes, his boyfriend was a cuddler. And yes, Jongup did enjoy it. Usually.

The only exception was apparently now, when he was confronted with a murderous-looking best friend, because he couldn’t escape. No matter how much he tried. Because his boyfriend, as adorable as he was, was also ten times stronger than him, after working three years as his bodyguard, and had a killer grip.

The alpha immediately looked around the room to see if any of his other friends were awake – he needed witnesses if anything was about to happen.

Unfortunately, both Daehyun and Youngjae were on the other side of the room and were also very much asleep.

 “I’m not going to get him back, Jongup,” Junhong muttered angrily, and it took about ten seconds for Jongup to wake up enough to realise he was talking about Yongguk.

The alpha raised a brow, “Why not? He loves you, you love him…”

Junhong looked confused, “Because he hurt you.”

“I forgave him,” Jongup countered.

“And he didn’t actually like me.”

“He loves you,” Jongup corrected. He wished Himchan would let go, so he could sit up and talk to the omega eye-to-eye, but he had to deal. Besides, Himchan was extremely cute when he was sleeping, and he didn’t want to ruin that. The alpha cupped his face, and smiled when Himchan nuzzled into his palm. For someone who was rarely affectionate when he was awake, he was really clingy when he was asleep.

“Give it up,” Junhong said shortly, and Jongup didn’t want to argue anymore, even if he disagreed. At the end of the day, he couldn’t force Junhong to do anything, and he didn’t want to make the other any more upset.

He’d ask the others what to do, when they woke up. For now, he just wanted to go back to sleep.

“What’s the time?” he asked. He couldn’t even lift his hand to check his watch, Himchan was holding him that hard.

“Like, seven,” Junhong replied, and Jongup groaned dramatically, rolling over so he could no longer face the younger. Junhong threw a pillow at his head, “Anyway, why are all of you sleeping on the floor, anyway? The bed’s huge.”

 “Youngjae was cooing over how cute you are when you sleep, and Daehyun got jealous,” Jongup grumbled, wanting to sleep. Junhong snickered at the thought of Daehyun acting so childish, and Jongup groaned. “Go away, Junhong,” he couldn’t see, but he could tell the omega was smirking, and he heard the bed squeaking as Junhong jumped on it, no doubt to sleep off his hangover.

“I’m never going to drink again.”

 

Moon Jongup: ok so i JUST realised what junhong said when he woke me up at the crack of dawn
Moon Jongup: he doesn’t want to get back together w yongguk??????

Kim Himchan: we’re all in the same room as you are, jongup…

Moon Jongup: yea but junhong could hear us talking about him lol
Moon Jongup: i already had one near death experience today

Jung Daehyun: Are we going to matchmake them?!

Moon Jongup: ;) im up for it

Yoo Youngjae: Let’s not meddle in their business. If they’re meant to be, they’ll find a way.

Jung Daehyun: You’re no fun, babe.

Yoo Youngjae: Want to die, Jung Daehyun?

Kim Himchan: youre not just saying this bc you dont want to be fired in case it doesnt work out though, right

Yoo Youngjae: I just think that this is the best thing we can do for him. Playing matchmaker never works out.
Yoo Youngjae: And also yeah, it would if I lost my job because of it.

Moon Jongup: his heat is coming soon tho, i dont want him to be alone & have to take those dumb suppressants :(

Yoo Youngjae: Let him do what he wants to do. Junhong’s strong; he can handle the suppressants. I doubt he wants to come back to Yongguk just for his heat, anyway.

Moon Jongup: ... yea i guess ur right

Jung Daehyun: Please. My Jaejae is always right

Yoo Youngjae: For ’s sake...

 

“Why are you all on your phones?” Junhong asked grumpily, crossing his arms. The other four immediately dropped their devices, expressions clouding with guilt as they looked everywhere around the room except for each other. The omega narrowed his eyes at all of them in suspicion, before shaking his head. “Whatever. Can we go and have breakfast so we can open the gifts?”

Junhong was beyond excited. He never really did the whole Christmas event, back in his parents’ house. There was never a tree, or a dinner, or present-giving. It felt unbelievable that this year there were presents under the massive tree in the Moons’ living room with his name on them.

He didn’t come empty-handed either. Earlier in the month, he had spent a hole in his bank account buying gifts for everyone – but he had no regrets.

“You don’t have to wait for breakfast, Junhong, let’s open the gifts now,” Juhyeon said, and all five heads snapped towards the door, where the woman was standing with an amused smile.

The boy whooped and jumped on his feet, barely waiting for the others to get up before speeding out the door, and downstairs.

“He’s adorable,” Youngjae said fondly, and Himchan agreed, as they all followed him downstairs.

When they got down there, Junhong was sorting all the presents into piles, a happy grin on his face. Everyone in the group received at least four presents, with Jongup receiving five, and Junhong, to his surprise, receiving six.

He stopped and frowned, checking the labels on the box to make sure he hadn’t misread his name for someone else’s.

“Uh...” he murmured, “I think there’s been a mistake?”

“Let’s just open them,” Jongup suggested, and Daehyun agreed readily, holding a present which was wrapped impeccably. He waggled his eyebrows in Youngjae’s direction, obviously assuming it was his present.

Junhong immediately started unwrapping them all, practically bursting with excitement. His excitement was quickly replaced with surprise when he unwrapped the biggest present to find a new bare skateboard, along with a voucher to have it customised for free.

“Sweet,” he breathed, looking up to see who could’ve gotten it for him. Met with blank stares from the rest of his friends, he looked up to see Juhyeon looking at him, all motherly-like, and he immediately got up to give her a hug.

“Thank you so much, Juhyeon-ssi!” he said happily, and she reached up to ruffle his hair.

“Yeah, yeah,” she laughed. “Use it whenever you like, but I hope you’ll let one of the chauffers teach you how to drive someday soon.” Junhong’s eyes widened, and she nodded, letting him know she was serious.

“You’re the best,” he enthused, his grin as wide as he could muster.

“Open the rest of your gifts before you say anything like that,” she joked. “Thank you for the bracelet; it was beautiful.” She held up her hand to show she was wearing it, the silver band reflecting the light in the room.

Junhong felt strangely proud; he was worried that whatever he picked out would be too cheap for the woman, but there was nothing that felt more satisfying than choosing a gift she actually liked.

“Junhong-ah, did you get this for me?” Daehyun called, and the omega ran back to see what he was talking about. The alpha held up a wallet, as well as a phonecase, biting back his laughter. The phonecase wasn’t a regular, plain-coloured one, since Junhong had gone out of his way to find someone who was making DAE phone cases. It was ten times better because it wasn’t just a nice, fantaken photo of him – it was a candid of him stuffing his face. The same photo went viral online as a meme a few months ago.

“Couldn’t resist,” Junhong grinned, and Daehyun moved to get his phone, taking off the cover he had and replacing it with the one Junhong bought.

“This is awesome.”

“Jung Daehyun, did you really buy me all of your fansites’ photo albums?” Youngjae asked, and they all looked over to see him holding at least six books, all with large pictures of Daehyun on the cover.

The mischievous smirk Daehyun sent his way answered all his questions.

Youngjae growled, but no one missed how carefully he placed them back in the box, admiring the covers at the same time. Even though Junhong guessed he liked it, since Youngjae still was a massive DAE fan, Daehyun made sure to tell him that it was a joke present, and his real present was at home.

(Junhong didn’t want to know the details.)

Youngjae, you really made me a coupon book?” Daehyun’s eyes were almost sparkling when he opened the other omega’s gift. Youngjae flushed and immediately hit his arm, hissing for him not to read any of them out loud.

That obviously caught Jongup’s attention, and before Daehyun could do anything, the other alpha was leaning forward to try and sneak a look at the first coupon.

“One free duet?” he read, and immediately moved back, feeling guilty for thinking it was going to be dirty.

Daehyun was frozen, staring at Youngjae in shock.

“Really?”

The omega nodded shyly, and before he could stop him, Daehyun was gathering him up in a tight hug, pressing loud, obnoxious kisses all over his face.

Junhong was making his way through presents, smiling to himself. It was really obvious who had bought whom presents; Himchan had gifted him with a pair of designer pants they had talked about a few weeks ago, Daehyun had given him a signed album from one of his favourite artists, Youngjae gave him a new leash for Mochi and a new pair of headphones, and Jongup gave him a collection of fuzzy socks and a voucher for COFFEE SHOP cafe.

“You can get fifteen free slices with that thing. Don’t lose it,” Jongup told him seriously, and Junhong nodded, his face just as solemn.

“I’ll protect it with my life.

He wasn’t even joking. Even though he worked at the cafe now, he hadn't gotten over the cake that changed his life.

With five boxes opened, he only had one left. He still had no idea who the last box came from.

Junhong noticed an envelope attached with a neat ‘For Junhong’ scrawled on top. He traced the writing on the card and he blinked, not believing his eyes. His hands were immediately scrambling to open the card, eyes searching over the words, soaking them in.

Dear Junhong,

I know you no longer want anything to do with me, so I’ll keep this short.

I’m sorry I lied to you. I’m sorry for ever making you feel like you weren’t worth it. This world isn’t easy for an omega, and you’ve already witnessed so much of its cruelty. I realise that by trying to protect you, I was only shielding you away from reality.

I no longer hope that you forgive me, but that you learn to forgive yourself; I hope you don’t blame yourself for your parents’ faults, or for my own.

Most of all, Junhong, I hope you never doubted how much I loved you.

Merry Christmas.

Yongguk.

Junhong’s hand automatically reached for the box afterwards, and he opened it to find Zelo, his beloved bunny he left behind in Yongguk’s apartment. The toy was nestled on some material, and Junhong reached down to take out a soft sweater.

The material was beautiful, soft and a luxurious black. It was exactly his size.

He brought it to his face, brushing the material against his cheek as he stared at the card, a million thoughts running through his head.

Yongnam must’ve placed the box under the tree last night, under the instruction of Yongguk. Even so, Junhong wasn’t focused on how the box got there, but on what the card said.

Yongguk said he loved him.

He really did. Junhong had spent so many nights, wondering if everything had been a lie. A warmth washed over the younger and his lips lifted in a small smile. Maybe...

But the past tense bothered him. Had Yongguk moved on? Junhong felt a sharp pain at the thought.

No. He berated himself for feeling disappointed. He didn’t have any right to be, anymore.

His eyes lifted, and he noticed that everyone was watching him. Youngjae’s eyes were filled with sympathy, and understanding, but everyone else just looked confused.

“Guys, let’s eat the tree ornaments!” Jongup suddenly said, trying to divert the attention from his best friend. The alpha shot up, moving towards the tree.

“Jongup, I said not until New Year’s!” Juhyeon chided, but she didn’t stop the boy when he reached to pluck a cookie off a branch.

Junhong’s fingers grasped the sweater in his lap, and a small smile surfaced on his face, his eyes softening as he gazed upon the ones he loved. A warmth spread in his chest.

He was happy.

 

The holiday season passed too quickly, and before the boys knew it, it was time to head back to school. Junhong’s heat was scheduled to arrive on the first day back, but the omega was adamant on attending all of his classes, even if his friends were hesitant.

“I have these,” Junhong shook the box in his hand as he strapped himself in the back of the car. He had already taken a few suppressants this morning, and he guessed they were working, since he didn’t feel any urges. He paused and took another one, just to be safe.

Himchan looked worried as he strapped himself in beside Jongup, who was in between them. It was weird that he wasn’t driving, like he had for the past two years Junhong knew him, but he was like them now; just a university student who carpooled with his boyfriend and his boyfriend’s best friend every morning.

“If you need to leave class, just send me a text, alright?” The beta said.

“I’ll be fine,” the omega insisted, pouting when Himchan quirked an eyebrow. “It’s less than two hours of classes today, nothing will happen,” Junhong muttered. He had already told Youngjae the same thing this morning, when the omega had called him.

Jongup smiled, pressing a quick kiss to his boyfriend’s cheek, “You’re kind for worrying though, Himchan-hyung. I’ll look after him if anything happens.”

“Nothing will happen,” Junhong repeated, but his friends were too busy making out to hear. He rolled his eyes and wore his new ultra-effective, noise-cancelling earbuds, yet again grateful that Youngjae had given them to him at Christmas. He could feel a headache coming already.

Two hours of class was all he had to sit through.

The omega closed his eyes, trying to ignore the pounding in his head, but it only got worse, pulsating behind his eyes. Junhong bit down on his lip, knowing that Himchan would force him back home if he even heard a small whimper.

Even as they rolled up at school and got out of the car, the throbbing continued relentlessly at the back of his skull. The world spun around him and he stumbled forward, resting a hand on the car door to steady himself.

Junhong took a deep breath. Dizziness was a common side effect of the medication – and he had experienced it many times before. Usually he could lie down or eat something, but he didn’t have too many options now, unless he wanted to go home.

“Do you have any snacks?” he asked the two. The words tasted sour in his mouth, and he wasn’t sure if they made sense, but Himchan immediately dropped Jongup’s hand to rifle through his bag. Jongup shook his head, and Himchan echoed his actions moments later.

Junhong’s vision blurred and he breathed quickly, trying to focus his sight. His grip tightened on the door.

“Are you okay?” the man asked, suddenly noticing how weak Junhong looked. The omega was dazed, eyes focused somewhere else in the distance. Himchan opened his mouth, saying something else, but Junhong could only hear muffled sounds, gradually becoming louder and more urgent. He blinked, black spots dancing over his vision and he lurched forward, grabbing onto Jongup’s arm.

The alpha looked at him, eyes wide with panic, before Junhong crumpled in his hold, losing all of the strength in his body.

Jongup’s helpless stare moved from his limp best friend to Himchan, and the beta immediately took Junhong, carefully resting him on the sidewalk and on his side. The older man was calm, manoeuvring Junhong into the correct position before telling Jongup to call for an ambulance.

Jongup startled, immediately fumbling for his phone.

Meanwhile, Himchan took his own mobile out and dialled Youngjae’s number, making sure to keep an eye on Junhong’s body. It took a few rings, and the beta quickly grew agitated, but Youngjae picked up eventually.

“Himchan-hyung?”

“Youngjae, Junhong fainted. We’re calling an ambulance now, but... he never changed his details,” the beta said slowly. He knew Youngjae knew what that meant.

Jongup was still calling emergency services, reciting their location, but when he heard Himchan’s words, he froze. Their eyes met and Himchan immediately dropped his gaze back to the boy between them.

“When the ambulance comes, they’re going to bring him to Bang hospital.”

 

Youngjae’s heart was pounding by the time the call ended. He could feel his palms becoming clammy, and he set his phone down, standing up in his seat. A million thoughts raced through his head.

He couldn’t let Yongguk near Junhong. Meddling always made things worse, and wasn’t even sure if Junhong wanted to see Yongguk at all, let alone when he was on his heat and vulnerable.

At the same time though, he knew that it was dangerous for any other doctor to monitor Junhong. His fainting was caused by his medication, and if any doctors found out, they would ask why he was on heat suppressants in the first place. Yongguk was the only safe option, for Junhong.

Even if Junhong hated him for it, Youngjae knew it was the right thing to do.

Yongguk was still in Bang Building, but he could get to the hospital before the ambulance, since the school was further away. There would still be a fifteen-minute drive, but Youngjae was sure Yongguk could get there in ten.

Without realising it, his legs were already bringing him to Yongguk’s office, and he swung the door open without knocking.

“Yongguk-ssi,” he said, and Yongguk looked up, his blank expression morphing into one of concern.

Youngjae took a deep breath, and opened the door wider.

“Junhong’s at the hospital.”

His heart broke when he saw Yongguk recoil, eyes wide in fear, and he gestured for the man to stand and leave. The alpha dropped everything he was doing and only grabbed his phone and wallet before following Youngjae out of the building.

“He passed out.” Youngjae said shortly, as an explanation. He tried to recall everything that Himchan had told him just minutes before. “He seemed dizzy, and unfocused before he fainted, but they’re one hundred percent certain it’s because of the meds. Himchan told me he would call if he woke up though.”

Without any words, the two decided on Youngjae’s car, and Yongguk settled into the passenger’s seat quietly.

He was still reeling from the shock, but he had known it was possible. He knew Junhong was on his heat, since it had been exactly three months since his last, and he knew it was a possibility that the omega would return to using his suppressants, even if he hoped not.

His fists clenched as Youngjae started the engine.

The omega passed the alpha his phone, open to his contacts list. Youngjae avoided his questioning gaze, only muttering quietly, “You should call Jongup.”

Yongguk stiffened, but did as suggested, bringing the phone up to his ear. It had been years since he last called the younger. Even then, he had never called Jongup willingly.

“Youngjae-hyung, we’re in the ambulance now,” a voice spoke quickly as soon as he picked up, and Yongguk swallowed, already nervous. “Junhong is still out, but the paramedics said he’s stable, so I think it’ll be alright...”

“Jongup, it’s Yongguk,” the alpha said quietly. He was met with silence. Besides him, Youngjae was focused on driving, but he was listening as well. Yongguk tried to calm himself down, already feeling his heart hammering in his chest. “I... I’m coming to see Junhong.” He quietened. “If he doesn’t want to see me, I’ll leave. Immediately.”

The other end of the line was so silent that Yongguk wasn’t sure if Jongup was still listening.

After what felt like an eternity later, he heard a soft sigh, and then, Jongup spoke, his voice soft, yet clear.

“I already forgave you, long ago,” the other alpha said slowly, as if he was thinking carefully at the same time. “But I won’t forgive you if you don’t convince Junhong that you still love him.”

“I will,” Yongguk promised, even if he wasn’t sure.

“For Junhong’s sake, I hope so.” Jongup murmured. He stayed on the line for a few more seconds, before hanging up.

 


 

i made a twitter recently! @sproutjun i follow back if you post mostly b.a.p :)

yo.. honeymoon was everything i expected + more i'm so emotional i love these boys!! the mv.. had so much graphic potential and i went wild (x) (x) (x)

as usual, i love reading comments!! there's only two chapters left!