023

Up To Chance

 

023

 


 

When Junhong came to consciousness, he found himself in an empty hospital room. He sat up slowly, gathering his senses, and immediately groaned when he realised what had happened.

He had passed out in Jongup’s arms.

He was really never going to hear the end of it.

Besides the bed, his eyes caught onto a digital clock on a table which read 10:32, as well as a glass of water and a clipboard. His mouth was dry, and he reached for the glass immediately to quench his thirst.

It took a while for him to realise that the clipboard was his patient profile, but when he did, he grabbed it, curious about what information the hospital had on him.

He set down the glass of water and sat on the bed, crossing his legs as he examined the sheet. It wasn’t exactly anything new; just boring stuff like his name, date of birth, place of residence. He looked to the next page, and his interest piqued when he saw it was a diagnosis sheet.

Date & Time: January 16th 09:07

Referring Doctor: Bang Yongguk

Patient: Choi Junhong

Diagnosis: Drug-induced syncope. Slowed heart rate and lack of oxygen to the brain. Non-fatal, but a change of prescription is recommended.

There was half a page full of information, but Junhong couldn’t be bothered reading the rest as soon as his eyes landed on his doctor’s name and the date. His breath hitched, and he sat down on the hospital bed, crossing his legs as he stared at the paper.

Yongguk was in the hospital an hour and a half ago. He was in the same room an hour and a half ago, treating him. Junhong was surprised at how much he wanted to see the alpha – but he wasn’t sure if it was the smartest thing to do.

The boy clenched his fists, and glanced at the nurse call button besides the bed. It was the easiest way to find Yongguk in the huge hospital, but he wasn’t sure if he could.

If Yongguk wanted to see him, wouldn’t he have stayed until Junhong woke up?

Junhong exhaled and pressed the button before he could regret it. The intercom only rung once, and then someone answered.

Hi, how can I help you?”

Her voice was warm and polite, but her words got lost in the endless stream of Junhong’s thoughts. The omega’s breathing quickened.

Had Yongguk really moved on?

How could he move on so easily, if Junhong couldn’t’?

Junhong gritted his teeth. He had enough questions. He wanted answers.

“Can I see Yongguk?”

 

“Dr. Bang, patient Choi Junhong in room 8A wants to see you,” a nurse poked her head in the doctor’s lounge, and Yongguk dropped what he was doing immediately. He gave her a curt nod and left the doctor’s lounge to find the nearest elevator.

The hospital was quiet, as always, but Yongguk could hear himself breathing, his shoulders rising and falling as he tried to calm himself down. He entered the elevator and pressed the button for the eighth floor, curling his fingers once he noticed they were shaking.

He couldn’t hide the fact that his nerves were all over the place, but he really wanted to see Junhong. He wanted to see Junhong – actually awake and healthy – more than anything he had ever wanted in his life, so much that even if Junhong was going to tell him to leave and never come back, he wouldn’t mind.

He just wanted to explain himself to the omega once. At least then, he could accept that Junhong truly didn’t want him anymore.

The elevator doors opened and he turned to the first door on the right, eyes scanning over the 8A on the door. His hand stopped on the doorknob.

Yongguk pushed it open, his heart lurching when he saw Junhong sitting on the hospital bed with his legs crossed and small frown on his face. The omega’s eyes widened when he saw the alpha, and his back straightened, but he stayed in silence.

Yongguk pulled a chair over.

The alpha sat down, dragging his eyes up to meet Junhong’s. The boy looked at him with a mixture of hurt, apprehension and nervousness – Yongguk never wanted to see that look on his face, let alone be the cause of it.

“Hi,” he said simply, not knowing where to start.

Junhong’s gaze broke, and he looked at his lap as he mumbled a soft, “Hi, Yongguk-hyung.”

Hearing his name pass Junhong’s lips made Yongguk freeze. He took a deep breath, wanting to calm himself before saying anything else, but Junhong spoke again.

“I just want to know why.” The omega looked at him seriously, his hands in his lap. He looked so small, so young, but Yongguk could see how much he had matured in their three months apart. It made him proud, but also disappointed in himself; he had never encouraged Junhong to become independent back when they were together – it shouldn’t have surprised him that Junhong wanted to leave.

“I’m sorry,” the alpha started, and Junhong shook his head.

“I know you are, hyung,” he said. “I just want to know why you married me in the first place. Or pretended to.” Yongguk winced at his bluntness, but he couldn’t lie to him again. Not when Junhong was looking at him like that.

“At the beginning, I was only considering the marriage because of your parents,” Yongguk explained. Junhong didn’t look surprised. “You looked so afraid at that dinner, like you had been taught exactly what to say. I guess I pitied you.” Junhong flinched, like his worst fears had been confirmed, and Yongguk hurried to clarify, “But that was only for the first day.

I went home, and I searched up your Instagram account, and I saw how happy you were, and how much you loved Mochi, and how well you could dance. I couldn’t help falling for you,” Yongguk murmured. He wasn’t lying, and Junhong’s expression softened with relief. “And when we became closer, I only fell harder.”

Junhong’s heart leaped in his chest, and he had to will himself to stay seated and not jump into Yongguk’s arms. “Why didn’t you tell me the marriage was fake, then?”

Yongguk’s jaw clenched. “I regret that most of all, Junhong,” he said quietly. “I didn’t tell you because I knew you would tell your parents, and I was scared they’d try and take you back.”

“They didn’t love me,” Junhong argued. “They wouldn’t have done that if they did.” Yongguk winced at the other’s volume, and Junhong mumbled. “They didn’t, hyung.” The omega didn’t even know what happened to Choi Pharmaceuticals after the dissolution of the Bang-Choi contract. He hadn’t heard from his family since his mother threw him out of the house months ago.

“It was selfish,” Yongguk admitted, his face pained. “I should’ve told you.”

He should’ve. Junhong couldn’t help the anger that rose in his chest, but he swallowed down his rage. Yongguk looked apologetic enough. He couldn’t hold a grudge forever.

“So you didn’t fake-marry me to spite Jongup’s family?” He felt like he had to clarify, and Yongguk furrowed his eyebrows.

“What? No. That’s ridiculous,” he said, looking confused. “Why would I do that?”

“Dunno, hyung…” Junhong muttered. “We did become official less than two hours after her report came out,” he didn’t mean for it to sound like an accusation, but he knew it did. Fortunately, Yongguk didn’t look offended; instead – to Junhong’s surprise – his confusion was fading into amusement.

“Junhong, did you forget you confessed to me first?” Yongguk asked. The omega looked at him, and he continued. “I didn’t plan for anything to happen between us until you confessed, let alone do something like that to Juhyeon. I was just going to wait until I could tell you that the marriage wasn’t real, but then we became closer, and I became afraid of losing you. Juhyeon had nothing to do with it.”

Junhong’s mouth opened, but Yongguk couldn’t stop speaking now. He wasn’t even sure if his words made sense; he just needed Junhong to know he was sorry.

“I know I ed up. I kept secrets from you that you needed to know, and lied to you, to your face. What I did was unforgivable, so I’m not asking you to forgive me,” the man took a shaky breath. “That would be asking for too much. I just wanted you to know the real truth. I would understand if you wanted me to leave now, and never come back.”

Junhong stilled.

“I love you, Junhong.” His voice was quiet, but he stared at the omega in front of him. “For the past six months, that has never changed.”

An uncomfortable silence settled between them, with Yongguk no longer having anything to say and Junhong unable to find his words. The alpha felt exposed – he had never told anyone so much about himself before. Even if Junhong’s silence stung, it felt like a weight had been taken off his shoulders.

Yongguk stood up after a minute without any reply from the other, ready to leave quietly. He was already making plans to change Junhong’s doctor to one of his more experienced colleagues, when the omega rushed forward, throwing his arms around his neck. A rush of air escaped the alpha as Junhong’s force hit him, but he couldn’t help wrapping his arms around the younger, holding him tight. The boy had to lean down to press his face into his alpha’s neck, and Yongguk could feel Junhong’s tears wet his skin before he heard his sniffles.

“I love you too, hyung,” the omega whispered, his body beginning to tremble.

Yongguk just held him tighter, never wanting to let go.

 

Less than ten minutes later, when Junhong’s eyes dried and his hold on Yongguk relaxed, he sat down on the bed, looking at the alpha seriously. There was a frown on his face that made Yongguk worry, as well as a crease between his eyebrows. “We need to have a talk though. About… what’s going to happen now.”

“Do you want to,” Yongguk hesitated, “start again?” He wanted to know the other’s limits; if Junhong wanted them to take it slow, Yongguk would without any complaint. For Junhong, the alpha would wait forever.

Still, Yongguk was relieved when Junhong shook his head. “Instead of restarting, we should just continue like we were before.” He looked shy, “Um, my feelings for you haven’t changed since then, so I don’t think there’ d be a point to starting all over again, anyway.”

His cheeks were covered with a light pink, and Yongguk remembered how the younger always got shy when talking about himself.

“We shouldn’t forget what happened either,” the younger continued, looking up at him again. Yongguk wanted to ask him when he became so wise, but decided against teasing him about it – the younger had grown up a lot.

Yongguk smiled at his omega fondly, ruffling his bright-pink hair. “No more secrets.”

Junhong nodded, agreeing. “Unless it’s for a surprise.”

“Of course,” the alpha took his hand and laced their fingers together.

“But,” Junhong spoke again. “I don’t want us to move too fast. We’re not married, so I don’t think I should live with you again.” Yongguk raised a brow, and the omega hurried to explain. “Not that I don’t want to! It’s just… I don’t think I would be comfortable with you supporting me like that, for now.”

Junhong stopped and looked at him worriedly. Maybe Yongguk didn’t want to wait?

“Okay,” the alpha agreed, the affectionate expression never leaving his face.

“Okay?”

“Yeah.” Yongguk wouldn’t mind helping Junhong out – especially since his family had pretty much left him – but Junhong’s insistence only confirmed that he didn’t want Yongguk for only his money.

Junhong’s worried expression melted into one of relief, and he beamed happily.

The alpha hesitated, “Can you support yourself though?” He knew it was blunt, but he couldn’t help asking.

“Yeah, I got a job at the café,” the boy didn’t look offended at all. Yongguk nodded, agreeing without any more questions. Junhong peered at him, “Do you have anything you want to change?”

Yongguk shook his head, “None, as your boyfriend.” The omega smiled at the use of ‘boyfriend’ but quickly frowned. What did that mean?

“As your doctor,” the man said, reaching over the omega to grab the clipboard still on his nightstand. “We need to have a talk about your medication intake.”

Junhong blinked.

“No more than two a day,” Yongguk lectured, gently tapping the clipboard on the omega’s head. “It’s on the instructions, you shouldn’t have had five today.”

“But my mom said taking more would be fine…” Junhong muttered, and he sighed when Yongguk raised a brow. “Good point.”

“I would prefer it if you didn’t take it at all, but two daily is the max,” the alpha told him firmly. “Alright?”

“Yes, doctor!” Junhong chirped, grinning. He winked, “It’s not like I really need them now, right?” He squeezed Yongguk’s hand, laughing when the man faked an exasperated sigh. It didn’t take long for the alpha to set the clipboard down and lean over, kissing Junhong’s forehead affectionately.

“Any more questions?” Yongguk asked softly, brushing his hair out of his eyes. Junhong shook his head, paused, and then nodded.

“One,” he confirmed.

“What is it?” The doctor prompted, when Junhong didn’t say anything else.

“When can I leave this place?”

Yongguk blinked, before shrugging.

“Well, you can go anytime, really,” Yongguk said, and Junhong whooped, jumping to his feet and getting ready to leave. He patted his pockets to make sure he still had his phone, not noticing Yongguk’s eyes saddening.

Yongguk didn’t really want the omega to leave, just minutes after they reunited. Obviously, they would see each other again, but after months apart, Yongguk wanted nothing more than to gather him up in his arms and sleep for a few hours.

Junhong turned around and rushed back, eyes sparkling and smile blinding, “So, dinner tonight?” he tilted his head. “You can choose where!”

Yongguk smiled and stepped forward to capture his boyfriend’s lips in a kiss that may have had more tongue than appropriate for work. His hands cupped Junhong’s face gently as he angled their lips together, and Junhong responded eagerly as soon as he realised what was happening. His fingers trailed up to grip at Yongguk’s hair, and the kiss suddenly turned from easy and relaxed, to desperate and rushed. In less than a second, they became pressed up to each other, not an inch of space between them.

Before any clothes could come off, Yongguk stopped the kiss by tilting his face away. With their foreheads touching, he could feel the rise and fall of Junhong’s breath, and he chuckled as the omega looked at him hungrily. Junhong pouted at the close proximity of their lips – if he just leaned forward…

“Six o’clock, outside the Moon Estate,” Yongguk murmured against Junhong’s lips before pulling away. He looked down to tug at Junhong’s hoodie. “Dress warmly.”

“This does keep me warm, hyung,” the boy protested, and Yongguk rolled his eyes. This argument wasn’t exactly the same as their old ones – they only met last Spring – but the teasing and Yongguk’s general concern about Junhong’s health were familiar.

“Sure, Jun,” he said amusedly, and shooed him out of the hospital room by hitting his . “Okay, go back to uni. Youngjae’s in the doctor’s lounge, he’ll drive you.”

“See you, hyung!”

Even as he watched Junhong walk away, Yongguk wasn’t reminded of that Tuesday morning three months ago, when they broke up. Instead, he felt a warmth unfurl in his chest.

The past three months had been the worst three months of his life – a hurricane caused by a perfect storm of events, all up to chance. He never knew how hard he would crash, until the very moment he did.

But finally, he was free to love Junhong, without the guilt he had carried since they met.

He had no doubt in his mind that the omega was worth it.

 

Choi Junhong: Hey hyung °)/  this is my (Junhong’s) new number!

Choi Junhong: Where are we going tonight?

Bang Yongguk: there’s a new pizza place near your school that ive been wanting to check out. have you been there yet?

Choi Junhong: Nope, but I’ve heard its super good!! Their ads make me drool

Bang Yongguk: so it sounds good?

Choi Junhong: sounds great!!!!

Choi Junhong: Can’t wait to see you! (´)

Bang Yongguk:

Choi Junhong: (*〇 o〇)……BANG YONGGUK? USING AN EMOJI?

Bang Yongguk: shut up

Choi Junhong: heh.

Choi Junhong:

 

At six o’clock sharp, Yongguk arrived outside of the Moon Estate, braking to a stop next to the curb. Junhong was already waiting for him, and his mouth split into a grin when he saw the car, immediately opening the passenger seat and hopping inside.

“Hey, Jun,” the alpha murmured, eyes scanning over the younger. Junhong, to Yongguk’s joy, was wearing the black sweater that the alpha had given him at Christmas. The soft material didn’t seem too tight on his body, the size fitting him perfectly, and Yongguk felt a rush of pride.

“Hey, hyung,” Junhong greeted, leaning in to give Yongguk a quick peck. He leaned back and looked down shyly, as Yongguk started the car again. Junhong paired his sweater with dark blue jeans, which he rubbed his hands on, trying to warm them up. “Let’s go get some pizza!”

“Seatbelt.”

Junhong flushed red, and fixed the belt around him. The alpha hid a smile; some things hadn’t changed.

“I’m excited,” Junhong couldn’t help but smile at the sight of the alpha’s happy expression, even through his embarrassment.

“Me too. Hyerim has been recommending this place for a while.

“Himchan has been talking about it too,” Junhong added, laughing. “I guess they went together?”

“Maybe,” Yongguk hummed. “Did he tell you about the Chocolate and Strawberry–”

“-Dessert Pizza?” Junhong finished, and Yongguk nodded. “Yeah! I guess they did go together, then…” the omega perked up, remembering something else he had to tell. “Oh, speaking of them... I hope you don’t mind, but I told everyone already.”

“About?”

“That we’re dating.” He bit his lip, “Was I meant to keep it a secret? Youngjae asked first, when he drove me back to uni, and I didn’t know…”

“It’s fine, Junhong, don’t worry,” Yongguk moved his hand from the gear stick to squeeze the other’s hand for a quick second. “I don’t mind.”

“Oh, okay, good,” the boy looked relieved, and he beamed. “Youngjae also wanted to ask if you were free on Sunday, because he wanted to invite you to his birthday! Uh, except he didn’t want to do it in person, because you’re his boss and it’s kind of weird.”

“Yeah, I should be able to take a day off,” the alpha hummed. “I was going to give him a birthday present anyway.”

“Ooh, really? What is it?” Junhong asked curiously, as Yongguk turned into the parking lot for the pizza parlour. The omega’s eyes lit up as he saw an ad for the shop’s famous dessert pizza, and felt his stomach rumble hungrily.

“A promotion. One of the solicitors for the company retired last week, so a space is free,” Yongguk said, killing the engine and exiting the car. Junhong did the same, rushing to the alpha’s side.

“Isn’t that, like, Youngjae’s dream job?” the omega asked, and Yongguk nodded.

“He applied for that position a year ago, but I told him he had to make his way up first,” the alpha said. He pushed the door open to the pizzeria, and Junhong eyed a private booth at the corner of the room. Yongguk followed him. “Youngjae’s proved himself to be valuable though, as an advisor. He deserves it more than anyone.”

Yongguk honestly believed it too. Ever since Youngjae had stepped into the Bang Building on his first day, barely twenty-one years old, Yongguk knew his potential was being wasted as just a secretary. Yongguk didn’t even need a secretary, he just knew Youngjae was too valuable not to be employed. He also knew that one of his dad’s advisors was talking about retirement, so he snatched the boy up and offered him a job – with double the salary, just to ensure that he would accept.

Youngjae’s genius and quick wit made him not only an excellent employee, but a useful friend, even if Yongguk knew they weren’t that close.

“Man, I have to get him a better present,” Junhong frowned, as Yongguk opened a menu and chuckled.

“I’m sure Youngjae will be happy, no matter what you give him.”

“He’s my best friend though,” Junhong whined, as he pressed closer to the alpha to look at the menu as well. Yongguk blinked in surprise. He had no idea Youngjae and Junhong had gotten so close.

“Oh, that looks good,” Junhong pointed at a cheesy pizza with all of the toppings available on it. Yongguk furrowed his eyebrows, not understanding how the omega could possibly find the image appealing. Junhong smirked, looking at his boyfriend’s expression. “I’m kidding.”

“Oh thank god.”

“I do want one with lots of cheese, though,” Junhong said thoughtfully. Yongguk agreed, and they both decided on an extra-cheesy supreme pizza to share, since they were going to have dessert after, anyway. The omega sat back as Yongguk ordered the pizza, and looked down on his lap, fiddling.

“I’ve thought about this for a while,” Junhong confessed quietly, once their conversation about the perfect cheesiness of pizza lulled. The pizza parlour wasn’t crowded or noisy, but there was background noise that made it hard for Yongguk to hear the omega without straining.

“Yeah?” he asked, hoping that Junhong would speak louder. He wrapped an arm around him and pulled him closer.

The younger was quiet, thinking about what to say. “I always thought about what would happen when we saw each other next… whether we would make up or fight. Since I left so suddenly and refused to talk to you, I always thought it’d be awkward, seeing you again, and that we would just naturally part… but I’m glad it turned out this way.” Junhong tugged on his sleeves to cover up his hands, as his cheeks reddened. He didn’t like talking about himself, but Yongguk had to know.

Yongguk brushed his lips over Junhong’s forehead. “Me too.”

Junhong smiled shyly at him, and Yongguk couldn’t help but tighten his arm around the younger’s waist, hugging him closer.

He was so in love.

 


 

this is the 'real' ending of Up To Chance, the one that I planned in december 2016 before i kind of fell in love with these characters and needed to write more. chapter 024 is an epilogue, and is definitely more ot6-feels than banglo

if you've read this far (chapter 023 whew), i'm guessing that you think my writing is okay? if you're interested in banglo and general awesomeness, i have three new story ideas, which you can read about here! vote for the one you think is the best!

the first story is about the mafia, the second story is about greek gods, and the third story is about the hell known as high school

thank you for reading so far & don't forget to comment!