011

Up To Chance

 

011

 


 

The weather cooled as the rest of summer passed, and autumn began without a worry. Junhong studied vigorously for his exams – so intensely that it kind of worried Yongguk – but he passed all of them with flying colors, so his hard work paid off.

Jongup, on the other hand, hardly studied at all, but he still passed with great results. They weren’t as high as Junhong’s, but that was to be expected – Junhong didn’t study twelve hours days for nothing.

“I don’t know, hyung. It’s just not fair that I have to work two times as hard as someone who’s naturally smart, like Jongup,” Junhong was lying across Yongguk’s legs and eating a banana, hands gesturing wildly. The alpha found it adorable how he would start using his hands when he got really passionate about something.

“You should be happy that your grades are so high,” Yongguk said, a hint of pride in his voice. “You still did better than him, you know.”

The omega frowned, “I know, but I worked my off. He barely studied for three hours.”

“That’s because he has a photographic memory, Jun,” Yongguk reminded him. “That might give him an advantage, but it’s not useful if he isn’t motivated to learn, you know. And his memory doesn’t help him write assignments and essays, so you aren’t completely at a disadvantage.”

The alpha always knew what to say. Junhong’s face split into a relieved grin and he pressed a kiss to the elder’s lips before shifting to sit on his lap. He cocked his head, “How do you know about Jongup’s photographic memory, hyung?”

It wasn’t exactly common knowledge.

“He’s a patient. At the hospital,” Yongguk lied.

“Oh yeah.” Junhong hummed. The alpha eyed him warily, wondering if he suspected anything, but the omega just drawled, “Doctor Yongguk.” His eyes were locked on the man’s, and he was obviously trying to gain a reaction.

“You know that doesn’t , right,” Yongguk said flatly and Junhong scrunched his face up.

Damn it.”

Even though the omega had thought he could make it through three months without climbing Yongguk like a tree, it was a lot harder than he thought it would be, especially now there were only two weeks left until he officially was legal. The wait was unbearable, and Junhong found himself trying to tempt Yongguk into just forgetting about his age and taking him against a wall or something.

Yongguk was really hot, okay. It was hard to have pure thoughts when he walked around shirtless all the time. It didn’t help that Junhong was a growing boy; he got from the slightest things. It’s not like he could help it.

“It’s only two weeks, Junnie,” Yongguk laughed and combed his fingers through the younger boy’s hair. It was now a pale blond, a color that Junhong had wanted to dye his hair for a long time, but had never been allowed to because his mother claimed it would make him look like a delinquent. Yongguk couldn’t disagree more; with his platinum hair, he looked even more like an angel.

Not only his appearance changed in the three months since he had moved in, his personality had too. Yongguk was pleased to find that Junhong was no longer so timid around him – he was outspoken, casual, and confident. He was still undeniably adorable though, and he had shy and quiet moments, but he was a lot more comfortable now.

“Exaaaactly, hyung, it’s only two weeks!” Junhong pouted. “I don’t care if I’m not legal,” he sniffed bitterly.

“The law does,” Yongguk laughed and pressed a kiss to his lips. “Two weeks. We’ll count down.”

“It’s a weird thing to count down to, hyung.” Junhong teased, lacing their fingers together.

“The countdown is for your birthday.” Yongguk corrected, rolling his eyes. Junhong winked and dissolved into giggles as Yongguk shook his head, allowing a fond smile to form.

“You’re going to love my present, Jun.”

The omega let his gaze flicker down to his pants for a second, doe eyes gleaming, “Oh I’m sure I will.”

He burst into laughter again as Yongguk cuffed the back of his neck and he wrapped his arms around the alpha, hugging him tightly. “I’m just kidding, I’m sure I will.” He quietened and rested his cheek on the man’s shoulder. “You’ve already given me the best gift though, hyung.”

The elder raised a brow and Junhong gestured to the apartment. “Everything.” Not only the apartment, but also his hair and his skateboard - everything Yongguk did was to ensure that Junhong was safe and happy, and that was more than anyone had ever done for the omega.

Sometimes Junhong wondered what it would be like if he was still living with his parents. He didn’t mind living with them before, when he had never experienced freedom. But now, he was certain that if he went back and lived with them, he would be miserable. Empty. They had stopped trying to contact him long ago, probably having forgotten about him.

The omega drew circles into Yongguk’s palm, staring at him shyly. He must’ve done something great in his past life to deserve someone as wonderful as the alpha. Yongguk squeezed his hand.

“Anyway,” the omega blushed, shaking his head. Heart-to-heart discussions were so… embarrassing. He got off the elder’s lap and stood up. “I’m going to try cook lunch, do you want anything in particular?”

“A clean kitchen,” Yongguk replied, thinking about the time Junhong tried to make a cake and somehow managed to dirty nine bowls, thirteen spoons and six forks. Not to mention the mess he made when he accidentally dropped a bowl of cream all over the floor.

The omega slapped his shoulder. “Rude. That happened once. And the cake I made was almost as good as the God Cake!”

Yongguk followed him into the kitchen, “You keep talking about God Cake, but you’ve never actually taken me out to have this glorious slice, Junhong.”

“That’s because it’s too good to share,” Junhong snickered, and Yongguk rolled his eyes fondly.

 

Like Yongguk said, two weeks passed in the blink of an eye, and before they knew it, it was the day before Junhong’s birthday. Junhong wanted to stay up until midnight (“I can claim my birthday present immediately, right, Yongukkie-hyung?”) but Yongguk refused, running off to his bedroom before Junhong could change his mind.

The alpha made sure to take the day off work on Junhong’s birthday, a Friday, and got up early, intending to go out and bring the cake home before the boy had even realised he was gone. Junhong wouldn’t even wake up before nine on weekends, but now it was the holidays, the boy barely even left his room unless it was to go out somewhere with Jongup or Yongguk.

The alpha fed the dogs, spending a few minutes with them before leaving.

Junhong didn’t know, but Yongguk had actually found the café which sold God Cake a few weeks ago. Apparently they didn’t make birthday cakes, but they were willing to make an exception for the teen.

(It totally had nothing to do with the amount that Yongguk was willing to spend.)

He was back by ten, the cake safely stored in fridge. It really looked extravagant, with strawberries piled on top and soft cream decorating its sides, but Yongguk was adamant that Junhong would only see it later on in the day.

He climbed the stairs, wondering if the omega would get mad at him for waking him up on his birthday, but when he slowly opened the boy’s door, he saw that he was already awake, scrolling on his phone.

Junhong looked up at the sound if the door opening, and he beamed up at the elder, “Morning, hyung!”

Yongguk crawled into his bed and gathered him in his arms, nuzzling his hair. “Happy birthday, baby,” the alpha rumbled affectionately, as Junhong snuggled into him.

“Morning cuddles are the best,” the younger said happily. He couldn’t have woken up more than twenty minutes ago, with his heavy eyelids and sleepy voice. He wrapped his arms around Yongguk’s middle and tilted his head up to face him.

Yongguk played with his omega’s hair fondly and pressed a kiss to his forehead. “What’s the plan for today?”

“I’m free for most of the day,” Junhong yawned and rested his head on the man’s chest. “Jongup promised me when he turned nineteen that he’d take me out clubbing when I turned nineteen, so I’ll be going out with him later tonight.” He paused, suddenly looking worried. “Is that okay?”

“Of course,” Yongguk said, but he was worried. “There’s going to be a designated driver, right?” Jongup could drive, but he was certain that the other alpha would be just as drunk as Junhong.

“Himchan,” Junhong replied and smiled sweetly. “I’ll be home before one!” he promised and Yongguk laughed.

“You’ll be home before three,” he corrected, and Junhong blinked in confusion. “I’ve been clubbing before, Jun, there’s no way you’re coming home that early.”

“Wanna come, hyung?” the omega offered, eyes shining.

Yongguk was about to agree, just so he could keep the younger safe, but he remembered who Junhong was going with and immediately refused. The omega was looking at him so brightly, it almost hurt him to answer. “It’s alright, you should have fun with Jongup.”

“Oh,” Junhong looked a little disappointed, his sparkling eyes looking down and pretty lips forming a pout. “Well, I still get most of the day with you.”

“And it’s going to be the best,” Yongguk finished. “But not until you actually get out of bed.”

Junhong must have sensed that Yongguk was about to tug him up and into the bathroom, because he blurted out instantly, “It’s my birthday wish to stay in bed until ten!”

The alpha stared at him, unimpressed.

“You’re really going to sleep your birthday away?” Yongguk said, but he didn’t move the boy. If it was his birthday wish, then Yongguk would grant it, even if his birthday wish was the same as his every-other-day wish.

Junhong nodded seriously, “I need to gather all my energy before my heat starts tomorrow.”

“Mhm,” Yongguk hummed. They had talked about his heat a lot in the last few days, and Junhong had confessed that he was really, really nervous. Yongguk was too, although he didn’t tell the omega that. “You can’t get your present if you stay in bed though.”

The look the omega gave him was one of utter betrayal.

Yongguk raised a brow.

Junhong groaned and slid off the bed, running to the bathroom with as much energy as he could muster. Yongguk called out once the bathroom door closed, “I’ll be with Mochi and Tigger!”

Junhong was more motivated than Yongguk thought, because he finished showering in less than ten minutes – and that never happened. The door opened and he bounded in, immediately scooping Mochi up in his arms, and looking at Yongguk hopefully. He didn’t say it out loud – he was more tactful than that – but it was clear that he really wanted his present.

“I should make you eat breakfast first,” Yongguk mused, and Junhong gave him a glare. “No, really, just go downstairs and grab something out of the fridge.”

Junhong groaned – really, he was doing that too much – and made his way downstairs, Yongguk following him with Tigger in his hands. The omega made a big show of dragging his feet into the kitchen and throwing the fridge door open, only for his jaw to drop and his eyes to widen when he saw what was inside.

“Are you going to complain about eating that for breakfast?” Yongguk asked smugly, and Junhong shook his head, his mouth shutting with an audible click.

“Is that… God Cake?” he whispered to the alpha, and Yongguk laughed even harder. Junhong looked like he was going to cry happy, cake-loving tears. “You’re the best, hyung!”

“Are you going to share?” he asked dubiously, as he took out two plates, two forks and a knife.

Junhong teared his eyes away from the cake to stare at him, “Of course! There’s no way you’re not getting a bite of this, especially since there’s so much. Are there any candles?”

“Of course,” Yongguk grinned and took out a packet from the pantry, as well as a lighter.

“Best birthday ever,” Junhong had proclaimed after they had lit up the candles, and Yongguk snapped a photo of the birthday boy grinning widely in front of his cake. He sent the picture to Junhong, so the younger could upload it to Instagram, but also kept a copy on his phone, changing his phone wallpaper from a default background to his cute boyfriend.

Later, when they finished eating (and the cake really was amazing – Junhong had moaned while eating it, much to Yongguk’s satisfaction), Yongguk gave the omega his present.

“No. Way.” Junhong’s jaw dropped as he stared at the small box in his hands. Inside held a nose piercing, a simple sterling silver stud. Yongguk blinked at him, waiting for more elaboration, and Junhong exclaimed, “Hyung! Let’s go do this right now, I’ve been wanting one forever.

“Are you sure? I mean, you don’t have to do this right now…”

Yongguk was never that great at denying Junhong, especially when the omega gave him his infamous ‘puppy-eyes’ look.

“Right, let’s go,” he grabbed his keys off the counter.

 

Junhong’s nose was pierced and his grin was somehow even wider. The fact that Yongguk took him out to his favourite restaurant for dinner before they had even more cake for dessert only made him happier.

“Stay safe,” Yongguk was peppering kisses all over his face, his own lips curving into a smile. “Call me if you need anything.”

“You’re so sweet today, hyung,” the omega teased.

Yongguk rolled his eyes and hit the younger’s , pushing him in the direction of the door. “Go on, Himchan and Jongup are waiting for you downstairs.”

Junhong stumbled towards the door, but turned at last minute, pressing a kiss to the corner of Yongguk’s mouth. “Bye, hyung! Don’t get lonely.” He waved before entering elevator, smiling happily. Yongguk watched him go with a grin, glad the boy was enjoying himself.

Jongup and Himchan were waiting for him in the carpark, but Junhong wasn’t sure how Yongguk knew that.

“Happy birthday man,” Jongup gave him a hug as soon as he was close enough. Junhong grinned and Jongup’s eyes widened at the sight of his piercing, “Holy crap! Your nose!”

“It’s hot, right?” Junhong asked, and Jongup nodded in awe.

“Happy birthday, Junhong-ssi,” Himchan greeted, and Junhong gave him a smile that was as bright as a thousand suns.

“Thanks!”

“Let’s get drunk,” Jongup cheered, grabbing the omega’s wrist and hauling him into the car. Himchan followed, starting the car up and exiting the carpark. “Himchan and I are going to a concert tomorrow, so I’m not going to go that crazy, but you can. Actually you should, it’s like… your initiation to adulthood.”

Junhong grinned, but didn’t protest – he had been waiting nineteen years for this. “You have to tell me what’s good though, I don’t think I like alcohol that much.”

Jongup shrugged, “Well, if you don’t, you could always just dance. But trust me, drunk dancing is like ten times better.”

Junhong was practically vibrating in his seat, he was that excited, but he forced himself to calm down – at least to tell Himchan that he had to get home before three. Even if Jongup was drunk off his , at least Himchan would be responsible enough to bring them home.

Jongup gave him an incredulous look, “Junhong, we’ll be home before one.”

“Yongguk said that no one comes home that early though,” Junhong said innocently, and Jongup scowled.

“I’m sure he would know all about clubbing,” he drawled sarcastically, and Junhong blinked in confusion. Before he could ask his best friend to explain what he meant, the car came to a stop outside of a club that was already booming music. Junhong recognised it as the club he always passed when he went to school – it was called That’s My Jam, and was known as the club that everyone went to.

The bouncer at the door requested ID, smiling when he noticed Junhong’s birthdate on the card. Himchan already looked old enough, so the man let him in without bothering to check.

The omega followed Jongup and Himchan inside, going immediately for the bar. He couldn’t help his eyes straying to the dancefloor, where a crowd of people were dancing freely, happily, as a DJ controlled all the music. Jongup took the initiative of ordering a drink for Junhong, since the omega was bewildered, already feeling the loud bass of the music run through his body.

The bartender eyed Junhong for a second before making the drink, but the boy didn’t notice. His body yearned to dance as well, but his mind wanted to test out Jongup’s theory that being drunk was worth it.

“Knock yourself out,” Jongup had to yell as he slid a drink to him; some golden liquid in a glass that even looked tempting. Junhong grinned and downed it, pleasantly surprised by its sweet and fruity taste.

“This doesn’t even taste like alcohol?” Junhong murmured to himself, but Jongup couldn’t hear him because of the music. The alpha was ordering a soda for Himchan, much to the man’s horror. Junhong took another tentative sip from his glass before concluding that his drink had a very, very low alcohol level. It kind of tasted like breakfast juice, with a hum of something stronger.

Junhong looked over at Jongup, and gestured that he was going to head to the dance floor, and Jongup waved him off, giving him a thumbs up before urging Himchan to actually have a good time.

The boy let himself free, letting others join in as well. It was exhilarating, and the adrenaline pumped through his veins along with the music. He lost himself in the crowd and their cheers, the bass pounding in his ears and his heart pounding in his chest. Somehow, he felt right at home in next to the dancing bodies, the smell of sweat and alcohol in the air. Junhong wasn’t senseless, he could tell that there were mostly omegas there – and that made him feel a little more comfortable. Alphas were more likely to cause trouble in clubs, they got possessive, especially if their omega was dancing with someone else. Junhong wasn’t interested in any of that, he just wanted to dance.

He stumbled out of the dance crowd and headed towards where Jongup and Himchan were, still by the bar. Himchan looked the same, sipping from a glass of coke coolly, but Jongup looked slightly more ruffled than before.

Junhong stayed with them for a little while, ordering two more of the same drink he had before. Jongup was acting kind of off, so the omega quickly went back to dancing.

He continued that pattern as the night passed; he would dance with the other omegas for a few songs, then find Jongup and Himchan by the bar, exchange a few words with them and drink, before returning back to the floor. Every time he went back, Jongup got drunker, his hair ruffling and his body leaning more towards Himchan.

“I’m so drunk,” Junhong heard Jongup say as he slumped on Himchan’s shoulder. The elder man didn’t seem to mind, simply watching his boss nuzzle into his shoulder. “M’tired and sad, hyung.”

Junhong was surprised that Jongup was a sad drunk, but he was even more surprised when Himchan began carding his fingers through his hair, his eyes softening with what looked like pity. For the two years he had known Himchan, he had never seen him act so casually with his best friend.

Junhong himself was beginning to feel a little lightheaded, but he guessed it was because he was dancing so much. He hadn’t eaten since dessert with Yongguk, and that must’ve been a few hours ago.

He promised himself he would go home after two more songs, since even Jongup seemed ready to leave, but he didn’t make it that far. His entire body was sweating and he felt like he was on fire – something was wrong.

Something was wrong, something was off, and he wasn’t the only one to notice. As soon as he’d stopped, an omega girl gripped his wrist and immediately swore loudly into his ear.

Junhong recoiled in shock, and she spoke loudly, over the music, “You shouldn’t have come here on your heat. You need to leave. Now.”

The words were jarring and Junhong shook his head, spluttering, “B-But I’m not –”

“Everyone in this club can smell it on you; God, why is it so strong?” She hissed, and her eyes widened. “. This is your first heat, isn’t it?”

It wasn’t exactly his first heat, but it was his first unsuppressed heat, so he just nodded, heart thumping with fear. Most eighteen year old omegas got their first heat soon after their birthday, anyway, and he looked around that age, even if he was turning a year older.

She swore again, the corner of nervously.

“You’re burning up. Oh God. Do you have anyone you can go home with? Listen, I barely know you, but I can drive you home if you don’t have anyone. Smelling like that… it’s dangerous for you to be in the same room as an alpha.” Her eyes were worried, and she quickly moved both of them away from the close proximity of the dancing bodies.

“I have someone to go home with, but… my heat wasn’t meant to come until tomorrow,” Junhong murmured, realising that alpha eyes were following him, predatory. He immediately whimpered and two alphas stood from the corner of the room, eyes locking with each other as they challenged each other to claim the young omega first. “I have a boyfriend,” he blurted, and the girl winced.

“Alcohol speeds your heat up,” she sighed, before squeezing his shoulder. “Go home. Stay safe.”

“I-I…” he froze and nodded stiffly, before running over to Himchan.

Himchan was a beta; he wouldn’t have been able to smell Junhong’s pheromones, but he could tell something was wrong. He immediately took Jongup’s hand and led the drunk outside, keeping an eye on Junhong at the same time.

The bodyguard made sure that they were in the car (he had to strap Jongup into the front seat) and locked the doors before calmly asking, “What’s wrong, Junhong-ssi?”

Junhong choked, his throat closing up, “My heat… it’s coming. Himchan-ssi, please get me home quickly, I need to see Yongguk, please –”

Not a second after he heard the words, Himchan drove them out of there, eyes finding Junhong’s in the rearview mirror. Junhong realised how ruffled he must have looked, red with heat and sweaty, on the edge of tears because of how scared he was. The alphas in the club almost fought over him. It wasn’t the kind of attention he wanted, nor was it the kind of attention he should have gotten. There had been stories of omegas attracting alphas in public, while on their heat, but their pheromones were never strong enough for the alphas to want to stake their claim. Perhaps Junhong's heat made his hormone levels skyrocket even further.

Beside him, Jongup was knocked out from drinking so much, drooling and murmuring words every once in a while. Junhong wasn’t even aware he was conscious, but the alpha opened one eye to look at him and scrunched up his nose.

“Jun, you smell weird,” he slurred, eyes closing again.

Junhong was just grateful that his best friend didn’t want to pounce on him or anything. His grip was tight on his phone.

Himchan murmured, “Yongguk… he’ll take care of you, right?”

Junhong nodded, not a shred of doubt in his mind.

“He won’t,” Jongup snarled all of a sudden, hiccupping. “Bang Yongguk is the most irresponsible, inconsiderate I have ever–!” Himchan reached over to place a hand on his knee, and he sniffled, before resting his head on the door. “Wanna go home, hyung,” he sniffled.

“We will, Jongup,” the man murmured.

“What did Yongguk-hyung do?” Junhong asked, worried. Now he knew that Jongup actually hated Yongguk, but he didn’t know why. Surely it wasn’t just because they were alphas, but they had only seen each other a handful of times, and Junhong was there for all of their meetings. The omega was certain that they didn’t even know each other.

Jongup, instead of answering his question, decided to curl up in a ball and try to sleep.

“What did Jongup-hyung mean?” Junhong demanded, making sure Himchan could see him through the mirror. They were pulling up to Junhong’s apartment already, but he wasn’t going to leave until he got answers.

“I can’t answer that,” Himchan said quietly, coming to a stop. Junhong pressed his lips together, unsatisfied with the reply. Himchan wouldn’t answer unless Jongup let him, and the latter was knocked out. There was no point trying. “Will you be able to get upstairs safely?”

“Yep,” Junhong said shortly, unfastening his seatbelt and opening the door. “Bye.”

Himchan might have said goodbye back, but Junhong didn’t hear him. He wasn’t happy, at all; both Jongup and Yongguk were hiding something from him.

The omega walked into his apartment and looked around, but he couldn’t find the alpha. He wanted answers, but even more than that, he wanted affection – now that he was near his alpha, his heat was telling him to find him.

His feet led him to Yongguk’s room and he opened the door without knocking. The alpha was lying in bed and reading a book peacefully when the omega barged in, looking up in surprise. His  legs were covered with the sheets, but even the sight of Yongguk’s stomach, his pecs, the tattoos painting his skin, illuminated in the lamp’s light, made Junhong freeze up with want.

As he froze, the alpha in the bed immediately dropped his book. Yongguk tilted his head, “You smell different. Your heat came, didn’t it?”

The omega nodded, moving closer. He took off his shirt and climbed into bed with the elder, snuggling close. Just feeling Yongguk’s skin pressed on his made him sigh with relief – the heat inside him subsided.

“You shouldn’t have drunk so much,” the alpha murmured in his ear.

Beneath the sheets, Junhong wriggled out of his pants, leaving him in just his boxers. He tangled his legs with Yongguk’s and yawned.

“Hey, hyung?” he whispered, after the elder placed his book on the nightstand and switched off the lamp. In the darkness, the younger could hear Yongguk’s breaths, as well as the quiet beat of his heart as he rested his head on his chest.

“Yes, Junnie?”

“You’d tell me anything, right?” he asked, and listened to Yongguk’s heartbeat.

“Of course.”

There was no stutter in his heartbeat – there was no lie.

Junhong smiled, relieved.

“You and Jongup…” he felt the elder tense beneath him, but he continued, “Is there anything going on between you two?”

The elder’s heartbeat was constant, steady.

“Nothing,” the alpha replied, his voice steady. “I just hate his mother, that’s all, but you already knew that. What’s wrong, baby?”

“Nothing, hyung,” the omega mumbled. He scrunched his face up in thought, knowing the elder wouldn’t be able to see in the darkness.

If Yongguk said nothing was going on between him and Jongup, why did Jongup seem so angry?

 


 

any questions can be directed to @junhng on tumblr!

i get the feeling that you guys really don't like cliffhangers lol;

some of you might actually murder me in the upcoming chapters then. : )

any feedback would be greatly appreciated!