021

Up To Chance

 

021

 


 

“Here’s the plan for tonight,” Jongup said, sitting on the floor of his bedroom with his legs crossed. Junhong and Himchan sat across from him, the omega rolling his eyes and the beta smiling in amusement. A blueprint of the mansion’s floorplan was spread between them, and Jongup had a pen tightly gripped in his hand.

“Why do we need a plan...” Junhong groaned, stretching his legs out. “Can’t you just remember what we have to do?” Jongup released a disapproving snort.

“It’s not that simple,” the alpha shook his head. “We all have different responsibilities.”

“Responsibilities? Having responsibilities goes against the definition of Christmas,” the omega emphasised, and Jongup shook his head again.

“That’s where you’re wrong. The Christmas Eve party only happens once a year, and mom said she was going to have an all-you-can-eat buffet instead of a whatever-course meal. Does this mean nothing to you?”

The omega shrugged, not really caring. Himchan was just as confused, but he could see how riled up Jongup was getting, his eyebrows pinched together.

“Junhong, we have to plan out how we’re going to try the forty-three dishes, sixty-two drink options, and fifteen desserts available, and still have room for the edible ornaments on the tree. It isn’t an easy task.”

“There are edible ornaments?” Junhong blurted as Himchan asked incredulously, “You’re allowed to eat them?”

“Yeah, they’re made out of sugar, and no, but I do it anyway,” Jongup said. “That’s why we need a plan. To get away with Christmas-tree-edible-ornament stealing.”

“Those ornaments are not getting eaten until New Year’s Day, Jongup,” Juhyeon called as she walked past his room. She was guiding a decorator through the mansion for last minute touch-ups, determined that the night would go off without a hitch.

That’s why we need a plan,” Jongup whispered, and began writing on the blueprint in thick red pen. “We need to try every dish once, in tiny portions so we don’t get full. But, what if something is really gross and we all filled up our stomachs on a plate of something not worth it? That’s a waste, Junhong.”

The omega narrowed his eyes, feeling like he was being scolded, but Jongup did have a very good point.

“So, we’re going to split up the meals evenly between us and try a little bit of each one, rate it, and then exchange our information so we know what’s worth it,” Jongup said triumphantly. “Do you think Youngjae would be willing to help us out? I know Daehyun would be thrilled.”

“As long as he gets his dumplings,” Junhong cracked a smile, and Himchan chuckled.

“Then we’re all set,” Jongup grinned, holding up a list of all the food available later on in the night. “This Christmas Eve is going to be the best one yet.”

 

Eight hours later, in the middle of the Christmas party, Junhong realised Jongup had lied.

“This is the worst Christmas,” Junhong muttered under his breath. He had his phone in one hand and a plate in front of him, filled with different food. “How are we meant to choose what dish is best when everything is good?”

A few people chuckled around him and he flushed; he didn’t think everyone could hear what he was saying. Even though the house was filled with people, famous people, the omega wasn’t really in the mood to socialise. Having so many people in one house, even if it was a mansion, was nauseating.

“Don’t exaggerate, Junhong, this pasta is mediocre,” Youngjae critiqued through a mouthful of – Junhong guessed – mediocre pasta.

“How are we meant to choose what dish is best when forty-two out of forty-three dishes are good?” Junhong repeated, and Youngjae set down his fork without finishing the rest of his food. Daehyun took it immediately, and Youngjae sighed.

“What? You were done,” Daehyun defended, taking a bite.

“You’re not sticking to Jongup’s plan,” Youngjae lectured, but as he wiped some sauce off his alpha’s lip, a smile unknowingly appeared on his face.

“Jongup’s plan is for weaklings,” Daehyun scoffed. “If I can eat everything, I’ll eat everything. Besides, what he doesn’t know won’t kill him... serves him right for going off and making out with Himchan under all the mistletoe.” He sniffed, and Youngjae immediately left to try more food. He was still diligently following Jongup’s plan, even if his boyfriend wasn’t.

“You’re just bitter because you suggested the same thing and Youngjae shot you down,” the omega snorted, and Daehyun sighed, somehow managing to chew his pasta sadly.

“We could be making out right now,” he whispered.

Even if Junhong was bitter about being ditched by his best friend, he didn’t mind it...much. Himchan was like a completely new person once he stopped working for Jongup – Junhong always knew he was a funny person, but he never knew that Himchan had a surprising personality under his serious exterior. The first thing he did once he got out of hospital was ask Hyerim for fashion magazines.

Even though it came as a shock to Junhong, Jongup didn’t seem surprised at all; the two were a lot closer than Junhong had previously thought. Jongup never revealed how they got together, even though Junhong had always wanted to know.

Daehyun was still grumbling after two minutes, and Junhong couldn’t stand it any longer. Daehyun watched as the omega groaned loudly, kicking his chair back as he stood up. “I’m going to have to get drunk to enjoy myself tonight,” he said dramatically.

Daehyun waved him off, still shoveling food into his mouth as if he hadn’t already eaten three full platefuls. Youngjae was coming back, already moving onto the dessert section of the plan. As he neared, Daehyun’s eyes lit up – although Junhong didn’t know if that was because of Youngjae, or because of the chocolate slice he was holding.

Unfortunately for Junhong, the bar was downstairs, which meant he had to wade through crowds of people chatting idly to each other about holiday plans, or company business. They all stared as he walked past, since bright pink hair was pretty hard to ignore, but he didn’t spare them a glance, too enthusiastic about finding the bar.

The omega spotted the counter and his pace immediately quickened, but before he knew what was happening, a hand gripped his elbow, yanking him back.

“Wha—!” The omega whipped his head around, eyes wide in fear, and he immediately pulled his arm back at the sight of Yongguk. His heart pounded in his chest and he stumbled backwards, wanting – needing – to get away from him.

He flinched when the alpha reached out for him again, already feeling his mouth open, wanting to call for someone in distress.

“Don’t make a scene,” the alpha gritted out, voice strangely higher than Junhong remembered, and the omega’s eyes instantly snapped to his face, searching for –

the scar.

Junhong relaxed almost immediately, but around him, everyone was looking at the commotion. He gave them a nervous smile, before Yongnam pulled him away, away from the people and the bar. Junhong frowned as soon as he realised he was being dragged, but couldn’t shove Yongnam’s arm off. The alpha was a lot stronger than he was, and he felt angry.

“What do you want, Yongnam?” Junhong snapped as soon as they moved into another room, away from judging eyes.

The man growled, and Junhong’s eyes flickered over his face, taking in all of the features and details. Yongnam and Yongguk were almost identical, ignoring the scar, but close up, Junhong could tell they had other differences. Yongnam’s face was thinner, and his eyes were narrower – but Junhong suspected the latter was mostly because of his sneer.

“You have to come back to Yongguk,” the alpha said. “He hasn’t been the same since you left.” Yongnam’s eyes were fixed on Junhong’s, but the omega knew he was lying – Youngjae would’ve told him if Yongguk was stopped working, or if he’d done anything different. As far as Junhong knew, Yongguk was unaffected by his absence, which was hurtful, but unsurprising; Junhong always knew that he was more attached to the alpha than Yongguk was attached to him.

He shoved Yongnam’s grip off his arm and mustered up the hardest glare he could. “Don’t touch me.”

“It’s been two months. Hasn’t he suffered enough?” the alpha asked, and Junhong felt his anger flare, hot in his stomach, but he stayed silent. It wasn’t like he wanted Yongguk to suffer. He just knew that he couldn’t – shouldn’t – go back to him when he’d done so much to Jongup.

“My brother still loves you,” Yongnam continued, seeing the younger hesitate, and Junhong’s heart seized painfully. “He won’t move on until you tell him to.”

His words only confirmed the omega’s worst fear: that he would have to face Yongguk again and lie to his face, telling him that he no longer wanted to see him, that he stopped loved him. Junhong knew that as soon as he looked at Yongguk, he wouldn’t be able to resist coming back to him again.

“Yongguk never loved me,” Junhong bit out, blunt nails digging into his palms. “I was just another way for him to get back at Jongup and Juhyeon.”

“That’s not –”

“Forget it, Yongnam. You can tell Yongguk yourself that I don’t want to see him again,” Junhong said sharply, and the alpha’s eyes narrowed as the omega his heel and fled, back to the safety of the bar. With so many people around, he knew that Yongnam wouldn’t dare follow him, and he took comfort in that fact. He just wished Juhyeon had told him that a Bang twin was coming, even if it wasn’t Yongguk.

“What would you like?” the bartender asked, a bright grin on her face, and the omega sighed heavily, collapsing into a seat. Around him, everyone was sipping from tiny flutes of champagne, like respectful adults, but Junhong wasn’t really in the mood for weak alcohol. He wanted to forget about Yongguk, Yongnam, everything.

“I don’t even know,” he said finally. “Do you have anything that can take me out?”

 

“That’s it,” Himchan murmured, pulling back from Jongup. His hair stuck to his forehead with sweat. “We’ve officially kissed under all the mistletoe in this house. Twice.”

“Wanna go for a third, hyung?” Jongup asked cheekily, leaning forward to meet Himchan’s lips in another kiss, running his tongue teasingly over the other’s bottom lip. He growled quietly when the beta parted his lips easily, and pinned him against the wall, pressing his leg between his lover’s.

Himchan pulled back again before the kiss got too heated, cheeks blushed red. He ducked his head down shyly, embarrassed to have gotten carried away. “Or, you know, we could just go to your room,” he murmured and tugged on Jongup’s jacket. Even though they were in an empty hallway, it was possible that a maid could come hurrying through at any moment, or a lost guest could wander past.

Jongup laughed but didn’t let up, only brushing his knee against Himchan slyly, finding pleasure in how easily he could make the beta freeze beneath him. Silently, he moved so he could mouth at Himchan’s jaw, fitting his lips over smooth skin and . The beta brought a hand up to his mouth, muffling any sounds that escaped.

“Hyung,” Jongup said, his words a quiet growl. He felt a surge of satisfaction, seeing Himchan’s skin marked with dark hickeys. “You’re so –”

“Jung Daehyun, I can’t believe I’m agreeing to this.”

At the sound of the harsh whisper, the couple immediately froze and pulled away from each other, dread filling their bodies. Footsteps echoed down the hall they had just walked through.

“Youngjae,” Himchan mouthed silently, and Jongup hissed a curse.

This was infinitely worse than a maid or a guest walking in on them – while it would be embarrassing, at least Himchan and Jongup wouldn’t ever see them again. On the other hand, if Youngjae and Daehyun saw them, it would definitely lead to teasing and mocking jokes in the future. Teasing from Daehyun was already bad, but teasing from both Daehyun and Youngjae would be hell.

Himchan grabbed Jongup’s hand and pulled him through the closest door, wincing when the door shut with a loud clap. It wasn’t until his back hit a broom that they realised they were trapped in a supply closet, along with uncomfortably-shaped cleaning equipment.

Jongup immediately slipped a hand around the elder, gently massaging his back where he was struck. Himchan shook his head, whispering that he was alright, and Jongup reluctantly pulled away, his lips pursed in worry. The beta pointed to the door, and Jongup immediately pressed his ear against the door.

“I feel like a kid,” Himchan whispered, muffling his laughter.

“I think they’re making out?” Jongup was crouched on the floor in a comical position, trying to peek through the crack in the door. “I mean, no one’s saying anything anymore, but I really can’t see.”

The beta watched him in amusement, “Do you want to see them?”

Jongup shrugged, his eyes crinkling in an adorable smile when Himchan snorted. The alpha patted the floor next to him and Himchan slid down easily, letting out a soft sound of contentedness. He snuggled into Jongup’s arm.

They hadn’t heard Daehyun or Youngjae speak in minutes, but neither wanted to move. Jongup kissed the top of Himchan’s head, smiling when the beta’s eyes fluttered shut, not out of tiredness but out of comfort. Nothing made the alpha happier than knowing that the beta could relax around him, especially after the events leading to his hospitalisation.

Since Himchan was released from hospital almost three weeks ago, so much had changed. He seemed happier and more carefree, even though he was so busy. The beta was determined to make the most of Juhyeon’s present by enrolling into university immediately, even though it was halfway through the term. He was even able to pick up from where he left off all those years ago.

Everything felt back to normal.

Daehyun, not here!”

Himchan’s eyes snapped open and he glanced at Jongup before they both dissolved into silent laughter.

They stopped laughing when they heard someone fiddle with the door handle, and then the door was pushing open. Himchan hid his face in Jongup’s shoulder, already prepared for an eternity of teasing, but he felt the alpha’s shoulders shake, the same way they always did before he erupted into laughter. The beta looked up immediately, curiosity overtaking his body.

Both Daehyun and Youngjae’s clothes were ruffled, hair unkempt. Daehyun’s tie was loose around his neck, clearly pulled on. Youngjae’s lips were swollen, the top buttons of his shirt undone, and his face the very picture of embarrassment, and then realisation, and then annoyance.

He immediately raised his hands to fix Daehyun’s tie, irritation never leaving his expression.

“In a closet, really?” Jongup snickered, and Daehyun glared at him. “There are sixteen free bedrooms in this house, and you chose a closet.”

“ you, we didn’t know it was going to be a closet,” the idol retorted, pulling Youngjae closer to him so he could button his shirt up properly. He ruffled the omega’s hair and Youngjae sighed, still looking annoyed. He fixed Daehyun’s collar before turning around to face the other two again, who hadn’t stopped snickering.

“What are you doing in the closet?” he asked accusingly, glaring daggers at Himchan.

“We were going to hide from you, because we were making out,” the beta smirked. Besides him, Jongup grinned and laced their fingers together, feeling strangely proud. “But you guys were going to have . In a closet. Wild.” They both snickered again.

“Grow up, hyung,” Youngjae kicked his leg. “And get off the floor.”

Himchan grinned and got to his legs quickly, Jongup not far behind him. Daehyun was glaring at Jongup, almost bitterly, but the other alpha remained oblivious, wondering how often he could joke about closets before it got old.

“I’ll let you appear in my next music video if you never speak of this ever again.”

“Tempting offer, but no.”

Daehyun continued glaring at him as the four headed towards the buffet area again, which was stilled filled with people despite the time. It was almost half past ten, yet none of the others seemed to notice how late it was getting.

Youngjae was surprisingly quiet, looking like he was mulling something over in his head. He scanned over the room, his expression clouding with confusion.

“Don’t think too hard,” Himchan teased, and moved to grab some food from a table, Jongup’s plan long forgotten.

The secretary frowned and shook his head, too distracted to reply with an insult. Jongup stopped soon after, a similar frown appearing on his face. The two of them looked at each other, and immediately their eyes widened.

“Where’s Junhong?” the alpha asked.

Daehyun, who had already started filling up a plate, answered, “He said he went to go get drinks, or something.”

“That was an hour ago,” Youngjae said faintly, and his eyes caught onto a figure, milling around the buffet tables not far away from them. He swallowed nervously and Jongup followed his line of vision, seeing red when he recognised who it was.

The alpha growled low in his throat and before the other three could stop him, he was storming up towards Yongnam, hands clenched into fists by his sides. The alpha was already anticipating Jongup’s arrival, and he set down his plate to cross his arms, pursing his lips and looking as unimpressed as ever.

“Where’s Junhong?” Jongup demanded, not bothering to lower his voice. The people around him quietened, wanting to hear what would happen next.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“I know you did something, !” At his outburst, Himchan moved forward and pulled at his arm, silently urging him to calm down.

Yongnam raised an eyebrow, only infuriating Jongup further. “I’m afraid I haven’t seen Junhong since he left the bar with one of your maids, Moon Jongup.” He let out a breath, tutting in disappointment, “I guess he wasn’t lying when he said he’d moved on.”

“Junhong wouldn’t do that,” Youngjae muttered, avoiding Yongnam’s gaze. As suspicious as he was of the alpha’s words, he didn’t exactly want to lose his job.

Yongnam shrugged, “He was heavily intoxicated.”

Youngjae’s head snapped up and he asked tersely, “What?”

“I told you he went for drinks–” Daehyun murmured, and Youngjae bit back a curse.

“We need to find him,” he said, turning to Yongnam. “Thank you for your help, Yongnam-ssi.”

The alpha knew a dismissal when he heard one, and left without a complaint, or another smart comment. He pushed past Jongup as he left, just to make the other alpha tense.

Youngjae pulled out his phone, dialling Junhong’s number quickly. At the sound of ringing, Jongup frowned.

“He always picks up his phone.”

Youngjae tucked his phone back into his pocket, trying to keep calm.

“We need to split up; you and I will search the left wing, and Jongup and Daehyun can search the right,” He told Himchan as soon as Yongnam was out of earshot. “You know the left wing well, right?”

Himchan nodded. He had three years of experience in the mansion, and definitely knew the left wing – the servants’ quarters – better than Jongup did. Daehyun had set down his plate of food, and looked at Youngjae worriedly, seeing the upset expression on the omega’s face.

“If what Yongnam said was right, we have to go now. Junhong can’t consent to anything when he’s drunk.” Youngjae said hurriedly, already making his way across the room and towards the left wing. Himchan followed, not far behind. “If you find anything, text the group chat!” Youngjae called, too panicked to care that all the people in the room turned to stare at him.

Daehyun frowned, feeling guilty for not noticing Junhong’s disappearance earlier, and Jongup punched his shoulder, “C’mon, let’s go.”

“His room first,” Daehyun said, and Jongup agreed. Junhong’s room was far away, towards the entrance of the mansion, but it was where he was most likely to be.

As they neared the room, Daehyun was becoming increasingly uncomfortable. “Do we... knock?” he asked, eyes widening. “I really don’t want to see any –”

“Grow up,” Jongup rolled his eyes, but when they finally arrived at Junhong’s bedroom door, he lifted his arm to give three sharp knocks before pushing it open.

Empty.

Jongup bit his lip, closing the door and clicking his tongue. “My room...?” he wondered, and Daehyun immediately agreed, even though Jongup’s room was further away.

“You should invest in an intercom system,” Daehyun suggested as they made their way down the hall, and Jongup gave him an annoyed look.

“We have phones,” he reminded him, and the other alpha shrugged.

“Well, phones aren’t exactly working right now, are they?” Daehyun replied, and Jongup couldn’t think of a response.

When the alphas were closer to Jongup’s room, they noticed the light from under the bedroom door, and their pace picked up.

Unlike last time, Jongup didn’t bother knocking before flinging his door open. It was his room after all.

He paused as soon as he opened the door, narrowing his eyes at the sight of Junhong lying on his bed, limbs spread like an overgrown starfish. The omega was staring at the ceiling in a trance, and if he was aware of the two alphas coming in, he didn’t show it. His chest rose and fell with each breath, and he was so silent that the alphas would have thought he felt peaceful, if not for the tear tracks running down his cheeks.

“What are you doing here, Junhong?” Jongup asked, slowly making his way over. Junhong’s eyes didn’t move from their place on the ceiling. Daehyun looked up, wondering if there was anything specific Junhong was looking for, but the ceiling was bare.

“Jinae brought me here,” Junhong said simply. “She said it would be easier for you to find me.”

Jongup and Daehyun exchanged a look and Daehyun took out his phone to text Youngjae.

“Why aren’t you with Himchan?” Junhong asked quietly, looking at Daehyun soon after. “And you with Youngjae?”

“I wanted to come hang with you,” Jongup replied, and Junhong’s eyes widened.

“Really?”

The alpha smiled, “Of course, Jun!” His heart sunk when he saw Junhong immediately frown, his eyes returning back to the ceiling. Jongup walked even closer, kneeling down next to the omega.

“Why were you crying?” Jongup asked, combing his fingers through Junhong’s hair. The omega’s eyes were rimmed red, and they flickered to his best friend as he released a quiet sigh.

“Hyung, I miss Yongguk,” Junhong said truthfully, his bottom lip trembling. Heavily intoxicated, the omega felt no restraint saying what he wanted to say, and Jongup discovered that there was so much Junhong never told him. “I thought I could move on, but I can’t.”

His eyes focused on Jongup and he immediately flinched, whispering, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to remind you of him...” He searched Jongup’s expression for any trace of anger or bitterness.

“Junhong, I don’t mind if you talk about Yongguk,” Jongup said, frowning when the omega shuddered. “Have you stopped talking about him because you think I’ll be upset?”

Junhong’s silence spoke volumes, and Jongup’s frown deepened. “Junhong.” He paused before a thought surfaced, one that made him freeze. “Did you break up with him because of me?”

Junhong hesitated before shrugging. Jongup’s jaw clenched.

“But, hyung... He never loved me anyway, so I’m grateful you told me,” the omega said honestly, blinking back another round of tears.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Jongup growled. Junhong winced, able to detect his anger, even in his drunken state. Jongup swallowed, trying to calm himself down; he wasn’t angry at Junhong, but at himself for making his best friend so upset. “Yongguk’s love for you wasn’t a secret, Junhong. Everyone knew he loved you more than he could possibly love anything else.”

Junhong choked on a sob and Jongup finally climbed on the bed to give him a tight hug, as Daehyun went to bring him a box of tissues.

“I forgave Yongguk long ago, when I saw how happy he made you,” Jongup murmured soon after Junhong’s frame stopped trembling. The omega was still sniffling, but he was a lot calmer, curled up and almost half asleep. Jongup smiled at him sadly, before brushing his hair out of his already-closed eyes.

“You need to get him back.”

 

Bang Yongguk: don’t forget to drop off the gift.

Bang Yongnam: It’s under the tree. They open the presents tomorrow morning.

Bang Yongguk: did you see junhong? is he okay?

Yongnam hesitated, but he knew Yongguk had to know the truth.

Bang Yongnam: I’m sorry, Yongguk. He’s moved on.

 


 

@junhng! i made these things which are unrelated but pretty cool (x) (x)

anyway i'm so excited for b.a.p's comeback! the mv release is the day of my last exam so ;; another update will hopefully come in the next 2 weeks :)

comments really motivate me to write!!