Enter, Cliché Friend I

The After School Club

 

Somewhere on the second floor of POPK high school, a very quiet work period was taking place. It was a bit too quiet; too productive.

 

Baekhyun had his Physics textbook propped up on the table, shielding his face from the teacher. He was in the process of rolling bits of paper into small spheres. He reached into his desk and pulled out a straw from the collection he had stored there. He inserted the spheres into the straw, propped it atop his textbook and took a breath before shooting the ammo at Yixing’s head, who was slipping in and out of consciousness.

 

Baekhyun let out a mischievous snicker and continued to shoot the paper balls at Yixing’s head, who had no idea what was happening. Kyungsoo, who was sitting behind Baekhyun, noticed what the infamous prankster had been doing. He let out a sigh and rolled his eyes, but didn’t bother to stop him. Kyungsoo wasn’t in the mood to prevent Baekhyun from getting in trouble because in his opinion, he needed a good reality check.

 

Baekhyun stiffened when he heard his Physics teacher clear his throat behind him. “And what do you think you’re doing, Mr. Byun Baekhyun?” Mr. Oh questioned him with both arms crossed.

 

Baekhyun stuffed his straw into his desk and frantically searched for a pencil. “Nothing, sir. I was busy reading about Newton’s three laws.”

 

“Hm,” Mr. Oh hummed, clearly not buying his excuse. His eyes focused on Yixing’s head, and the Physics teacher added, “Do you think it’s funny to be shooting spit balls at your classmate’s head? And you, Mr. Zhang Yixing! Wake up, boy! Why do you always come to my class sleepy and with red eyes?”

 

Yixing awoke, startled and confused as to what was happening. “45.2 kilometers per hour, East!” he shouted out of nowhere.

 

“I wasn’t asking you about that,” Mr. Oh scolded.

 

“Oh, sorry Mr. Oh,” Yixing apologized. “I haven’t been getting much sleep lately.”

 

Mr. Oh sighed and focused his attention back to Baekhyun, who couldn’t hold in his laughter because he truly thought it was funny. “Well, I mean – when you see all the balls on his head, I mean how could you not laugh at that?” Baekhyun replied in between chuckles. Mr. Oh was not impressed and ordered Baekhyun to stand outside the classroom. After the prankster left, Mr. Oh walked to his desk at the front of the classroom and took a seat. He closed his eyes and rubbed his temples, but when he heard a chuckle from somewhere in the class, he opened his eyes.

 

“Who laughed?” he demanded. When no one responded, Mr. Oh grunted and returned to rubbing his temples. “This is the second time this week,” he sighed. “Good lord, help this boy pass my class because I really don’t want to have to teach Byun Baekhyun for another term.”

 

‘Thank goodness Mr. Oh didn’t catch me laughing,’ Im Ahri sighed in relief and continued reading through her textbook. ‘I hope Baekhyun doesn’t get in too much trouble.’

 

.::.           .::.           .::.

 

At the sound of the lunch bell, the second year students eagerly put their textbooks aside and grabbed their lunches. Ahri sat with her two unnamed friends, chatting about the recent episode of Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo that had come out. From the corner of her eye, Ahri caught a glimpse of Baekyun, Kyungsoo and Yixing.

 

“Sorry Yixing, I hope you’re not too mad,” Baekhyun said, meaning every word in his apology. When Yixing chuckled and forgave him, Baekhyun’s face lit up.

 

“It’s fine. I’m sure you meant to wake me up,” Yixing smiled.

 

“How come you’ve been sleeping so much in class lately?” Kyungsoo inquired as he took a bite of his sandwich. “Your eyes are always red too. Don’t tell me you’re getting involved in some shady business?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“We all need to escape reality sometimes, but just watch out for your health, alright?” Baekhyun answered. He put his hand on Yixing’s shoulder, but their friend just wasn’t understanding what they meant. Yixing nodded his head, and told his friends not to worry too much.

 

I mean, why would they? He was only staying up late to work on music compositions. Yixing was a huge fan of music, and went out of his way to learn how to play as many instruments as he could. Once he was satisfied with his knowledge of instruments, he moved on to writing his own songs and compositions. Recently, a wave of inspiration had washed over him and he stayed up late to work on his music. He didn’t want his inspiration to fade. He wasn’t sure why his friends were so confused, and was completely unaware of the misconceptions people had developed about him.

 

“So what’d you guys do yesterday after school?” Baekhyun asked and stuffed his face with rice.

 

“Eunji taught us how to fold origami. We decorated the club room with them,” Yixing beamed with pride. “She’s a great teacher.”

 

“Ah, really? I regret not going then,” replied Baekhyun. “I didn’t know Eunji had such a talent.”

 

‘Who’s Eunji?’ Ahri thought to herself. She had tuned her friends’ voices out and was eavesdropping on the boys’ conversation. ‘And club? What club?’

 

Ahri pulled out her phone and opened FaceNovel. She clicked on Baekhyun’s profile and searched through his friends list until he found a person named Lee Eunji. She clicked on her profile and quickly skimmed through her posts. ‘She’s a first year? What’s her relationship with them?’

 

.::.           .::.           .::.

 

After school, Eunji had to make a quick stop by her locker so she told Kai, Sehun and Tao to go ahead without her. Eunji walked to her locker, which was located within the hallway of the various arts. Music, Performing Arts, and Visual Arts were all located in the same hallway, making it liveliest hallway in the entire school.

 

Ahri, who had Performing Arts just before school ended, walked out of her class and spotted Eunji down the hall. ‘That’s her!’ she thought. Ahri took a deep breath of air and made her way towards the first year. She stood behind Eunji and gently tapped her on the shoulder. “Excuse me?” she said.

 

“Yes?” Eunji replied and spun around to face whoever had approached her. Eunji was still new to the school and hadn’t had the time to become acquainted with many of the first year students, but she immediately recognized that the person standing in front of her was older from the red Drama Council sweater that she wore, with the title “Senior Publicity Rep” stitched in black letters in the front.

 

“You’re Lee Eunji, right?” she asked in a quiet voice. “My name’s Im Ahri.”

 

“Yes,” Eunji nodded her head. She questioned herself why an upper year might be talking to her.

 

“I, uh- wanted to ask you about that club that you’re a part of. What is it again?” she asked shyly, occasionally stuttering.

 

“You mean the After School Club?”

 

“Yes, that one! Some of my classmates are in it and I saw that you were tagged in a recent photo with them so I just wanted to ask about it.”

 

“In that case, why didn’t you ask your classmates?” Eunji asked, trying to think of who in the club might be in Ahri’s class.

 

“Oh well, I’m not very close to them, so whether I ask you or them it wouldn’t really make a difference. I’m interested in joining,” she explained herself, scratching the back of her head. She knew it wasn’t a very good lie, and the truth was she was nervous to approach them.

 

“Well, I was just about to head over to the club right now. Would you like to come with me, sunbae?” Eunji offered with a smile. Ahri let out a sigh of relief when Eunji didn’t question her further about not approaching her classmates, and nodded her head.

 

“That’d be lovely. Oh, and just call me Ahri.”

 

.::.           .::.           .::.

 

Similar to what had happened when Eunji had first stepped into the club room, the boys had their eyes glued to Ahri when Eunji introduced her to everyone. “She wanted to ask about joining the club,” Eunji told everyone.

 

“Two new members in two weeks? Awesome!” Minseok cheered.

 

Luhan approached the two girls with his best “swagger” walk, and smiled charmingly at Ahri. “Hi there, my name’s Luhan. I guess what they say is true, pretty girls have pretty friends.”

 

“Don’t fall for it,” Eunji whispered to Ahri, who smiled nervously at Luhan.

 

“I’d love to get to know you better. Want to grab coffee later?” Luhan asked her with a wink.

 

“Oh, hey Ahri!” Baekhyun waved at her once he realized she had been standing by the doors. He had been sitting down at a desk on the other side of the room, his nose in a book when he had heard Eunji introduce her to the other members. He got up from his seat and walked up to them. Luhan pouted when Baekhyun entered the scene, and tried to shoo the other member away while scolding him for interrupting his “quality time” with the ladies.

 

“Hi, umm hey Baekhyun,” Ahri sputtered out, her cheeks beginning to turn pink. ‘Ohmygod what if he hears how loud my heart is beating?! I would literally die.’ she mentally screamed.

 

“Hi there, my name’s Junmyeon but you’ll hear a lot of people call me Suho,” Suho introduced himself to the second year.

 

“Spell it with a dollar sign!” Chanyeol yelled from the other side of the room.

 

Ignoring Chanyeol’s comment, Suho continued with his introduction. He briefly explained what the club did, and Ahri nodded every now and then. Quite honestly, all the information went in through one ear and left through the other because how could anyone focus when they were in a room full of twelve hot guys whose attention were all directed towards her?

 

“So that’s everything! Are you interested in joining?” Suho asked enthusiastically.

 

“Oh, yes that’s why I had Eunji show me where your club room was!” Ahri replied. A couple of the club members cheered in response, happy that they now had another member to add to their family.

 

“Great! If you could just write down your phone number, FaceNovel, Insta-whatever, Tweeter and Snap-forgot its name, down on this paper, that’d be great! I’ll be sure to add you to our FaceNovel group chat!” Suho beamed.

 

.::.           .::.           .::.

 

Since no one had anything planned for the day, Eunji decided to leave early. Ahri followed suit, partially because she didn’t quite understand what she was supposed to be doing, and the other reason being that she felt a tad overwhelmed being surrounded by so many beautiful guys at once. On their way out of the school, the two girls mutually agreed to stop by a café to grab a quick drink and get better acquainted with each other.

 

“It’s really nice to have a nice chat with another girl,” Eunji said as she stretched her arms once they were seated. “All the girls in my class are already in cliques.”

 

“For sure! And I totally understand what you mean,” Ahri sighed as she took a sip of her coffee. “Tis a common occurrence in high school.”

 

Eunji pursed her lips together, unsure whether or not she should say what she had on her mind. When Ahri noticed her uneasiness, she smiled and told Eunji to loosen up. “Don’t be so nervous. I know I’m a second year, but treat me as you would with any other friend. I know it’ll take some time to adjust to a new school, but it seems like you have a good circle of friends already and-“

 

“No it’s not that,” Eunji said, cutting her off. Ahri furrowed her brows in confusion.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“What is… your real reason for joining the club?” Eunji asked, carefully saying each word. “I have a feeling you joined for similar reasons as me.”

 

The two girls stared at each other for a while before they yelled out at the same time. “FOR THE GUYS!” “FOR A GUY!”

 

Ahh, how picture perfect would it be if they had shouted the same thing. A friendship made in heaven. This wasn’t the case though. Eunji stared at Ahri and tried to process what she had just said. Eunji had joined the club for the sole purpose of getting to know the attractive club members better, and judging from Ahri’s behaviour she was confident that the upper year had joined for the same reason.

 

“Did you say, for one guy?” Eunji asked.

 


 

A/N: In celebration of putting up a poster & background for the story! Banzai -throws confetti-

\\ xoxo