Smile for the Camera!

The After School Club

 

A/N: For an awesome friend who's helped me a lot recently. This chapter was based (loosely) off of a dream she had. Wish I had more dreams about EXO >.>

 


 

Despite the fact that she was in the middle of winter break, Eunji woke up early today. She stretched her arms and grabbed her phone, which she kept at her bedside. She started her day according to a routine that she had developed during middle school.

 

First she checked the boring stuff: emails, school-related stuff (which doesn’t really apply right now because of the winter holidays), yada yada yada.

 

Then she moved onto the slightly more fun activities: checking her games. Eunji went through phases with all the trending phone games, but there was one that held a special place in her heart. FarmVille. There was something about the concept of growing crops that made the game so darn addicting. She was also determined to unlock all the animals available in the game.

 

Finally (after having spent a good amount of time playing FarmVille), Eunji proceeded to the best part of her routine: checking social media. Nothing beats a cup of piping tea on Instagrain, followed by a nice serving of beef on Tweeter, right? Eunji kept a low profile at school and avoided conflict, so she was never the centre of any drama, but she had a twisted adoration for reading others’ shady posts.

 

She opened SnapConverse, and saw that she had received a snap from each of her classmates:

(-insert Dora the Explorer voice- Can you guess which snap belongs to which of Eunji’s classmates that are in the same club as her?)

 

She laughed to herself as she watched the snaps, and took a quick selfie of herself to send back. When she glanced at the time, she realized that an hour had passed since she woke up, and decided to formally get up.

 

Eunji took a quick shower and slipped into the outfit she had prepared the night before. She ran downstairs to make herself breakfast before she headed out.

 

It may be the holidays, but that didn’t mean the After School Club was taking a break.

 

.::.           .::.           .::.

 

Suho wanted everything to be picture perfect – literally.

 

The leader of the After School Club gathered its members at a modelling agency under the Kim Group to take what liked to call “the super sentimental extra emotional end of year” photos. The concept was new for the first years, as well as Ahri, but apparently this was not the first year they had been doing this.

 

“We’ve been doing this since we were in middle school,” Kris told the first years and Ahri. “It’s kind of become an annual thing.”

 

“And then you compile the photos in an album or something?” Ahri asked.

 

“More like albums,” Minseok chuckled. “One photoshoot is one album. Suho’s already made 4 albums to date, so this will be the 5th one.”

 

“He gets really emotional around the holiday seasons,” Luhan said as he rolled his eyes. “And he wants to capture our happy smiles before we greet the new year.”

 

“But, a professional modelling agency?” Eunji asked in disbelief as she studied the set. When her eyes landed on Suho, who had been talking with the director and lead photographer, he flashed a smile at her. She nervously smiled back, but in reality she wanted to hide under a rock.

 

When Suho told her about a “new club activity” that they were going to be doing, she assumed it’d involve some snow throwing, hot chocolate, and board games. She didn’t expect to be a part of a photoshoot, and frankly, she didn’t feel ready for it. She looked at the simple sweater and jeans she was wearing, and wondered whether or not she had underdressed for the occasion.

 

She was used to taking selfies of herself, but that was because she was able to choose the exact angle that complimented all of her facial features. She was also used to taking derp photos with her friends, but those were taken with the intent of being silly, so even if she looked ugly in them she brushed it off.

 

But a professional photoshoot at a modelling agency? Eunji was starting to feel self conscious. These photographers were used to taking photos of some of the most beautiful people in the world, and now they were stuck taking pictures of her? She wondered what they thought of her.

 

No doubt they were talking to Suho right at this moment, asking the leader why they were forced to take pictures of a bunch of “average people”, and “under-average people” (she considered herself to be in the “under-average people” category).

 

Unbeknownst to Eunji, the director and lead photographer had been complimenting the club members. The director was asking Suho where in the world he had discovered such gorgeous models, and when he told them they were part of the same club, the photographer said, “Must be a club for beautiful people.”

 

A team of makeup artists and outfit coordinators entered the set and swarmed the club members. Three ladies in their mid-30’s surrounded Eunji and Ahri, and dragged the two girls into a dressing room.

 

“Unnie! You grabbed the wrong outfit set!” Lady #1 shouted.

 

“Nonsense! I grabbed the right one for the image I had in mind!” Lady #3 replied.

 

“But we’re supposed to go with the director’s vision, not yours!” Lady #2 said with a sigh.

 

“But these girls are like two angels. Look how young and pretty they are! I refuse to cooperate with the director’s vision of a ‘typical day in their cozy clubroom’ theme! I want them to be big! Bold!” Lady #3 said with determination. She ran to the closet and pulled out two white dresses that seemed to be fit for dolls.

 

Eunji glanced at Ahri, who gave her a nervous look. “Are we wearing those?” Ahri exclaimed.

 

“Yes. Why, you no like?” Lady #3 asked. Then, her eyes lit up and she dug through the closet to reveal two sets of angel wings that the girls were sure came from a Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show. “You want the wings too?”

 

The girls shook their heads violently, and Lady #3 put the wings away disappointedly.

 

“What’s wrong with the director’s casual vision?” Ahri asked.

 

“It’s too boring. Who do you think I am?” Lady #3 asked as she pointed at herself. “I am Yoon So Min!”

 

Lady #1 and Lady #2 threw confetti into the air and did jazz hands around So Min. Eunji and Ahri’s eyes widened until they were sure their eyes were about to fall off their faces. Yoon So Min was one of the top designers in South Korea, and here she was, coordinating their outfits for a “casual photoshoot”. The power of the Kim Group was scary indeed.

 

.::.           .::.           .::.

 

Eunji felt strange, foreign, if you will in her current get-up. She didn’t feel like herself, which made her even more self-conscious than when she had been wearing her regular clothes. The white dress she was wearing was pretty, with intricate lace designs. She wore a red poncho sweater on top (much to So Min’s dismay) because she thought it made the outfit seem a bit more wearable.

 

Ahri on the other hand seemed to enjoy the fact that she was being dolled up. She smiled when a team of makeup artists surrounded her, powdering her face and expertly applying products to her face. The second year student wore a similar dress, and wore a green scarf around her arms like a shawl.

 

Eunji’s anxiety was slightly alleviated when the boys entered the room. All twelve were dressed in dress shirts and pants, with each member wearing a different style vest or jacket. When the director saw everyone’s get-ups, he yelled at So Min, “This is not fitting my vision!”

 

“It fits mine,” So Min replied wittily.

 

The director and coordinator continued to fight until Suho interrupted the two. He told the director that he didn’t mind a semi-casual-formal photoshoot, and thanked So Min for the outfits. Both parties seemed to calm down at Suho’s words however, they calmed down even more when he slipped the both of them a couple hundred dollar bills.

 

The director gathered different members of the club together for different shots. The backdrop included a scene in front of a fireplace, and did indeed make the entire set-up look very cozy. They had prepared props too; fake snowballs, cups of hot chocolate, and board games. In a strange way, the photoshoot included everything Eunji had expected them to do today, but in the most discreet way possible. She thought it all seemed very ironic as she watched Baekhyun and Jongdae play a game of Snakes and Ladders while Yixing, Kris and Kyungsoo sipped hot chocolate in the background.

 

Everyone seemed like they were having a good time, so why didn’t she? Tao was having the time of his life, choosing between whether he wanted to pair Gucci shoes with a Burberry watch or vice versa. Even Kai, who she now knew was actually very shy at heart, seemed like he was enjoying the event. Eunji wondered how he was able to put on such a mask.

 

If only she had the power to do so.

 

Eunji sat in a chair near the refreshments and sipped on a cup of hot chocolate. Sehun spotted her from afar and took the empty seat next to her. When she stared at him, he raised a brow at Eunji but didn’t look at her.

 

“What are you doing here?” she asked him. “Shouldn’t you be with everyone else?”

 

“What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be with everyone else?” he repeated the question. Eunji huffed a breath of air. At first she thought he imitated her words to mock her, but when she listened closely she realized he wasn’t.

 

She slumped into her seat and drank her hot chocolate in silence. “What’s up? You’re not usually like this,” Sehun said.

 

“And what do you know about me?” she asked, slightly annoyed.

 

“Hm, well for one I know that you like hot chocolate,” Sehun said with a teasing smile. Eunji put the cup down and didn’t look him in the eye. She didn’t know why Sehun was doing this, nor what he had up his sleeve. She was starting to become annoyed by his actions because all she wanted to do was retreat into her seat like a tortoise and hide from the cameras.

 

“And we’re in the same class,” Sehun added. “I also know that you’re trustworthy, and kind, and you can be sort of an idiot sometimes.”

 

“The same could be said about you,” Eunji muttered.

 

“Yeah well I don’t like hot chocolate. I only drink chocolate bubble tea,” Sehun said matter-of-factly, and Eunji was starting to miss the Sehun that never talked because boy, he loved to talk to her now. She didn’t know whether she should feel flattered or bothered by it because as much as she liked talking to her (very attractive) classmate, the words that came out of his mouth sometimes caused her blood to boil.

 

“Well, maybe I don’t know that much about you,” he finally said with a sigh. “But we could start now. What do you like?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“Ok… what don’t you like then?” he asked. Sehun was kind of upset that she hadn’t responded very well to the first question, but he wasn’t about to give up.

 

“You, right now.”

 

“Ouch, that hurt,” Sehun said as he feigned pain.

 

Eunji knew she was being ridiculous, and she was sure that she would regret saying that to him in a couple of hours. But right now, she couldn’t be bothered. She watched the director call the members up one by one for their individual shots, and she gulped because she was starting to wish she had never come. She was scared to stand in front of all the big cameras that they had set up, and she feared the bright lights that came with each flash.

 

What if her pictures didn’t come out ok? It would ruin Suho’s 5th photo album, and it’d be all her fault. What if she stood in front of the cameras and the photographer didn’t want to take her picture because she wasn’t as pretty as Ahri nor as brave as some of the club members were?

 

“Cameras,” she muttered quietly.

 

“Cameras?” Sehun said confusedly. “What about cameras?”

 

“I don’t like them,” she sighed. “I don’t like my picture being taken.”

 

“Really? What about all the Instagrain selfies and all the weird snaps I get from you?” Sehun asked without any malicious intent. He truly was surprised to hear that she didn’t like cameras because Eunji was pretty active on social media.

 

“I don’t mind when I’m taking the photo of myself. But how do I know whether or not the photos that others take of me will turn out ok?” she confessed.

 

“Well that’s a stupid reason,” Sehun scoffed. Eunji shot him a glare and was about to whack his head when he continued, “I mean, you don’t have any reason to be afraid of them.”

 

She stopped her hand just before it landed on his head, and she asked him, “What do you mean?”

 

“Well,” he started nervously. He quietly fidgeted with his fingers and he looked at his feet because suddenly they seemed very attractive and interesting to look at. “I’m sure any picture you’re in will turn out ok.”

 

“That’s the problem, Sehun,” she whined and slumped back into her chair. “I don’t know whether they’ll turn out ok or not! I-I’m, I’m…”

 

“Pretty?”

 

“What?” she looked at him.

 

He cleared his throat and didn’t respond. “What?” he finally asked her after moments of silence.

 

“What you just said,” Eunji said slowly. Had she heard him correctly?

 

“What did I say?” he shrugged his shoulders and pretended he didn’t know what she was talking about.

 

“You said I was pretty,” Eunji said shyly. She felt embarrassed for calling herself beautiful, but she was sure that Sehun had said it.

 

“No I didn’t,” he smirked at her and flicked her forehead. When she recovered from the pain he added, “You just said it. Whether or not I agree, well that’s another story.”

 

She whacked his arm playfully and smiled at him genuinely. Her entire face lit up, and Sehun couldn’t help but think that that was how she was supposed to look. A solemn face really didn’t suit her.

 

“Thanks,” she said softly.

 

“I didn’t do anything,” he said sarcastically and with a playful expression. Then, in a much more docile tone he added, “It was all you, really.”

 

‘It always has been.’

 

“Alright, Sehun you’re right It wasn’t you. It was some stranger I met named Mr. Incognito. I wonder if Mr. Incognito likes bubble tea?” she wondered aloud.

 

“Chocolate is his favourite,” he replied.

 

“Well then, I gotta thank Mr. Incognito some time and offer him some chocolate bubble tea,” she told him.

 

“Is that a date?” Sehun asked sarcastically.

 

“Oh god no, I’m pretty sure Mr. Incognito is a Libra and I’m an Aries so the heavens say we’re not a match for each other. It’s written in the stars.”

 

“He’s an Aries, actually,” Sehun snorted. “And I’m sure Mr. Incognito didn’t want to go out on a date with you anyways.”

 

Eunji grinned widely at him and ruffled through his hair. “You’re messing it up!” he whined.

 

“There’s a lot more that's messed up about you, Oh Sehun,” Eunji laughed, causing Sehun to pout. He glanced up at her, and thought to himself that as long as she laughed, he wouldn’t mind being a little “messed up”.

 

.::.           .::.           .::.

 

“Alright, smile for the camera!” the photographer said. It had been a difficult task to fit all 14 members of the After School Club onto the set, but they managed to do it.

 

“Hey hyung, my suit actually fits for once. Do you think they’ll let me have it?” Chanyeol asked Kris as he tugged on his gray vest. “I really like the logo here.”

 

“Chanyeol I don’t need to see that,” Kris sighed and shook his head.

 

“No but look like for two seconds,” Chanyeol said as he tried his best to show Kris the lion head logo that decorated the top right corner of his vest. In doing so, he elbowed Luhan in the side. The third year let out a groan of pain and once he recovered, he slapped Chanyeol in the back.

 

Chanyeol yelped and jumped forward, knocking Jongdae and Minseok down onto the ground. Right before Jongdae fell, he bumped into Baekhyun who fell as well, taking Ahri down with him.

 

“You uh, come here often?” Baekhyun asked Ahri jokingly. Ahri covered her face because she was literally inches away from Baekhyun’s and she couldn’t afford letting him see the creeping blush on her face. He thought he offended her in some way, and became embarrassed when he thought about how his breath might have smelled of coffee because he had had some earlier.

 

He reached into his pocket to grab a breath mint, but in doing so his raised arm bumped into Kai’s knee. The first year flinched at the contact because he was secretly very sensitive in the knees, and any contact caused him to burst into a laughing fit. When he started to laugh hysterically, Kyungsoo began walking out of the set with raised arms and mouthed, “I am so done here.”

 

Tao whined when their formation fell apart, and he started hitting Yixing’s back. Yixing didn’t quite understand what was going on, and he honestly thought Tao was giving him a shoulder massage. He sighed in delight and indulged in the massage, thanking Tao in their native language.

 

Eunji tried to smile brightly, and she desperately hoped that the picture would turn out ok. Even amidst all the chaos that was currently taking place, so long as she looked cute in the photo, she’d post it on FaceNovel. But then again, a certain Mr. Incognito had assured her that any photo with her in it would turn out alright, and those words gave her more strength than he would ever know.

 

Sehun rolled his eyes and massaged his temples. Sometimes the first year wondered why he put up with such idiotic hyungs. Said idiotic hyung – Suho – forced a smile at the camera. He was trying to keep his composure for the camera because he was the leader and leaders were expected to remain calm at all times. But when he saw Jongdae and Minseok trying to get back up, only to trip and fall back down, Suho couldn’t contain his laughter any longer. He didn’t mind that the photographer was taking pictures of them, because the After School Club just wasn’t them if they didn’t have their daily shenanigans.

 

The picture came out like one of those candid photos you see at the end of a Christmas movie, when the family is so large and kind of weird so the picture comes out really funny. Then the credits would start to roll and they would show bloopers on the side of the rolling credits. But Suho knew that the After School Club was far from being over.

 

He was looking forward to many more photo albums to come.

 


 

A/N: I'm working on a new fic and I can't wait to publish it for you guys to read :) It's soooo different than the After School Club, but I love it all the same. Just know forever that TASC (my acronym for this fic) is my literal baby, and honestly, if you guys have any requests for chapters, let me know in the comments! If I really like one, I'll adopt it into a chapter :)

\\ xoxo