New School, New Me

The After School Club

 

Ahh, high school. A place of mediocre cafeteria food, cliques, bad decisions, and testosterone. Lots and lots of testosterone. For many girls (and guys, no discrimination), high school is a time where male students transform from boys to men and all of a sudden become very attractive. Either that, or the estrogen brainwashes the girls (and guys) into thinking so.

 

Lee Eunji had moved into the town of SM just a month after the school term had started, for very convenient reasons. For the sake of plot, let’s just say that her unnamed father received a job offer in the town of SM and the entire family had to move. After being dropped off at the doors of POPK high school by her unnamed mother, Eunji eagerly stepped foot into her new school. Eunji had been looking forward to attending POPK high school for a long time. Sure, she missed her friends from her previous town, but a new school meant new experiences, new faces – new boys.

 

As soon as she pushed the front doors open, Eunji was greeted by the squealing of re-connected friends (even though they had literally seen each other the day before), the laughter of the upper years, and the myriad of sorry’s that came out of the mouths of first years when they bumped into an upper year.

 

“Sorry,” Eunji said as she accidentally bumped shoulders with an upper year female student. The older student grunted, clearly unhappy, but went back to chatting with her friends.

 

‘Not a great first impression, Eunji,’ she thought to herself as she pulled out the timetable snug between the pages of her notebook. ‘Science, right in the morning. Oh joy.’

 

Not wanting to be late for her first class, Eunji dashed off to find her classroom.

 

.::.           .::.           .::.

 

“And so, the mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell,” a middle-aged man with tuffs of gray in his hair stated in a loud voice. “This is important information and you can expect to see it on the term test.”

 

It had only been a quarter into the first period and Eunji was ready to pull her hair out. She had been expecting the teacher, Mr. Jung, to have introduced her to the class. She had seen teachers do it before in anime and dramas, and had even prepared a small blurb about herself the night before. She sighed to herself in disappointment and let her gaze wander off to her left side, where her eyes focused on two individuals.

 

She didn’t know their names, but she knew one thing – they were hot. One had brown hair, with a jawline that could cut someone, and a serious expression on his face. The other, sitting on the right, had blond hair, chiseled facial features, and the way that he bit his lip from time to time almost drove Eunji insane.

 

“Oh my god, Kai is so hot,” Eunji heard a girl behind her mutter under her breath.

 

“Not as hot as Sehun,” the girl’s friend whispered back.

 

“But Sehun doesn’t talk.”

 

“Well Kai’s kind of a jerk.”

 

“Whatever,” they both sighed in unison. “Eye candy is better than no candy.”

 

Eunji had no idea who this “Kai” or “Sehun” were, and quite frankly if she wasn’t so distracted by the two guys sitting on the left side of the front row, she probably would have made the connection that Kai and Sehun were the names of the guys she was currently ogling over.

 

“And now we move on to the juicy stuff, the nucleus,” Mr. Jung said in a not-so-enthusiastic voice.

 

Eunji half-heartedly scribbled down the word “nucleus” in her notebook, spelling it wrong in the process, and continued to stare at the two guys in her class. Occasionally, the one with blond hair would whisper something to the other male. The brown haired boy didn’t say anything back, but wrote something in his notebook to which the blond haired boy chuckled at.

 

Apparently, time goes by a lot faster when you’re busy studying boys rather than the mitochondria. Eunji hadn’t even noticed that there were two minutes left in class until she heard her classmates shuffling and stuffing their books in their bags.

 

“Hey, there’s still two minutes left of class. Stop packing up! The bell doesn’t dismiss you, I do,” Mr. Jung said firmly. “We’re not done talking about the –“

 

As soon as the bell rang, everyone got up and left.

 

“- fine, you are dismissed,” the defeated teacher mumbled bitterly and packed up his things.

 

.::.           .::.           .::.

 

Second and third period were not nearly as exciting as Eunji’s first class. After listening to Ms. Park’s exciting song about the quadratic formula and Mr. Lee’s ever-so-captivating powerpoint on the Korean War, Eunji was starting to think high school wasn’t as exciting as she thought it was going to be. That, and also the fact that with the exception of the mysterious blond and brunet duo, she had encountered no other cute boys.

 

Last period of the day was music. Eunji took a seat in the very front of the class, hoping to remind the teacher, Ms. Kim, that she was a new face and prayed for an introduction. Much to her dismay, Ms. Kim seemed to treat Eunji as if she had always been a part of the class. “You there, trumpet #2,” Ms. Kim said and pointed towards Eunji’s direction. “You’re too flat!”

 

Eunji apologized immediately and slumped into her chair. She had always been rather confident in her trumpet playing skills, and was a bit hurt to hear that her note had been flat.

 

On the other end of the class, the “mysterious blond and brunet duo” were sitting next to a boy with short, blond hair and feline-like eyes that were accentuated by kohl eyeliner. The mysterious blond, Kai, was in charge of drums. The mysterious brunet, Sehun, was in charge of the xylophone. Finally, the short-haired blond, Tao, played the triangle.

 

“Yeah, well her note’s not the only thing that’s flat,” Tao remarked.

 

“Dude, not cool,” Kai scoffed.

 

“I’m just saying, if you’re gonna look like a sheet of paper when you wear a white shirt, expect some comments,” Tao rolled his eyes and shrugged. “Besides, when have you been one to stick up for people, Kai?”

 

“I’m just trying to remove the stick that’s shoved up your a**hole all the time,” Kai smirked. “Maybe then all of your bad attitude will deflate out of you, like a balloon.”

 

Tao gasped and shriveled up his face in disgust. “I am so telling Kris-hyung what you said to me today.”

 

“You know Kris-hyung won’t take your side, he never does,” replied Kai.

 

“Hmph, maybe. But I do know Suho-hyung would care,” Tao stuck his tongue out.

 

“I don’t get what’s so offensive,” Sehun spoke.

 

“No one understands me, I’m too complex,” Tao sighed and brushed through his hair with his free hand.

 


 

A/N: Am I the only one who was drilled with the different components of a cell in high school? Let me know what you think by leaving a comment and don't forget to subscribe/upvote (I sound like a youtuber XD). Second chapter will be up soon! 

\\ xoxo