Chapter 3

You found a way

Nana's POV

"Nana?" I glanced at the guy who called out my name. To my surprise, it's the guy from the airport. It was Chanyeol. For a minute, I was relieved because finally I saw someone I know. I made a mental note to thank Chanyeol later for his existence.

"Yah, Chanyeol. You know her?" Kris, still not letting go of my wrist, deliberately asked him. I snatched my wrist away from his grip and he just looked at me worriedly again. I don't need someone pittying me. I've had enough of those. 

Chanyeol walked and stood by my side. He was studying me like I was someone very hard to read. People have never looked at me that way before. Everyone would just shrugged at my presence, and now I don't know what's more pleasing. He reached out for the wrist which I was massaging due to Kris' tight grip.

"What happened here?" He asked while carefully examining my wrist. 

"Uhm can we get out from here?" I questioned in a low voice not wanting to make a scene any further. He gazed at me like he already knew what happened here earlier. And right when he was about to say something, a hand grabbed Chanyeol's shoulder making him turn  around

"I was asking you a question, Chanyeol." It sounded like an order. Is Kris some powerful person here in school? Why does he have so much control to everyone. The way he dragged me out earlier made it evident that he's not afraid of anyone. Not even detention.

"What if I knew her? She's a friend of mine" Friend? What friend, I thought. Maybe I could use a friend in situarions like these. He glared at Kris like he was an enemy from a long time ago. It looked like they had a past that's forbidden to be talked about.

Kris clenched his jaw and looked at me. He started walking towards me. I froze in my position, not sure of what to do. Kris makes me feel scared and rebelious at the same time, but I couldn't just focus on both because he looks so beautiful when he's annoyed or angry. Hey, Nana what are you even thinking.I woke up from my crazy thoughts. Kris is a danger zone, girl. There's a caution line wrapped around him.

"Are you friends with him?" He surveyed. I glanced at Chanyeol's worried face like if I said something wrong, war would break out.

"Hey, I'm not going to hurt you. Just answer my question" I didn't know if that was a threat or an assurance. He made it sound like a threat, though. Now's the time to speak up, Nana. But it seems like my own words couldn't help me. I ended up nodding at him.

"I see." Kris his sharp jaw. Do i really have to take note how sharp his jaw was. God.

"Chanyeol and I are very good friends you know. I don't know why he's keeping the pretty girls away from me" He wrapped his right arm around Chanyeol's shoulder and squeezed it. In a matter of time, Chanyeol broke out from their skinship leaving Kris and went to my side.

"What are you saying? We are far from friends, Kris. Heck we're not even acquaintances" He disgustingly said. These guys sure had history which other and I have no intention to know it. It better stays this way. Kris amusely looked at us.

"Come on, Nana." He took my bag and place it on his shoulder. What a gentleman he is. A complete opposite of Kris. 

It was quite a scene there, Nana. Goodjob, you need a pat on your head. This is a complete havoc. I just wanted to stay out of trouble for once, but it seems like troubles have their own way of catching up with me. Now the school knows me as the girl who stands between Chanyeol and Kris. Great. Just Great. Chanyeol and I walked quietly enroute the cafeteria. The room was full with tons of teenagers with raging hormones-some are making out. It's a typical school scene. It's good thing I watched american dramas, this is no surprise to me. In the cafeteria one will be able to distinguish who's who: there's the jock, the geeks, the emos, the cheerleaders, and the people like me-those who don't care about the rest of the world. I was hesitant if I would join them, but meh I have this cool guy who said I was his friend beside me.

"Sit there. I'll get us food" He pointed at an empty table afar near the exit door. That's a perfect place. 

While I was walking, I could sense everyone was staring at me. I couldn't help but feel worried for myself. I badly wanted to live a normal and simple life, away from attention and pitty and if possible from danger too. I reached the table and settled down. I took a quick look at everyone; some were whispering to each other, eyeing me like I was disgrace to this place, and some were just barely looking. I watched Chanyeol order our food from afar. I smiled to myself as I recon our encounter yesterday. Who would have thought I would meet this charming boy again. Yes he's charming. He is blessed with a baby face that everyone s dying to have yet he's so mature. His deep and manly voice are in contrast to his whole stature.

"You're the new girl right?"  A happy looking girl approached me. 

"Uhm yes? How do you know that?

"I'm familar with everyone here except you, and so I figured" I sighed in relief. I thought there was an announcemet before that a new student would be coming.

"I'm Lizzy by the way." She offered her hand. I didn't think it was a good a idea to harbor many friends at this time. But as what Aunt Kahi said, I could make a friend or two. It wouldn't hurt that bad.

"Nana" I shook her hand back.

"You don't look Korean, though. Are you of french decent?" No one has ever noticed the way I looked, thus I blushed.

"Yah, Lizzy are you pestering my friend?" Chanyeol came with a tray of food. I assume these two know each other with the way they joke around.

"It's called being nice. Kris just made her first day a disaster" With that, Chanyeol's expression changed. He clenched his jaw and glared at Lizzy.

"Yah don't blame me for you having some bad blood with Kris" And that confirmed my assumptions. 

Chanyeol hushed Lizzy and lightly pushed her away. "Go now, Lizzy. My friend and I will try to have a peaceful lunch".

"Whatever you say" Lizzy rolled her eyes.

"Here, I hope you're hungry" Chanyeol bought me a double pound burger with french fries and a strawberry smoothie.

"I'm famished. Thankyou" I smiled. 

I ate my burger quietly and Chanyeol munched down his 2 pizzas like a hungry badger. Another adorable thing about him is he eats to his hear't's content. He never seemed to satisfy his hunger. 

"What? You're looking at me weirdly" Chanyeol questioned.

"Do you like some more? You can have this" I pushed my bunch of fries towards him, and he burst into laughter. 

"I'm sorry. Where are my manners" His laughter died down and ended up smiling.

"I'm sorry for being rude with you yesterday" I said without looking at him.And he just smiled again. 

"I figured you didn't like my company"

"Ah no no. It's not like that. I'm just being careful to anyone who I talk with" I claimed defensively. He wasn't smiling anymore. This time, his features softened as he tried to study me.

"So what happened earlier?" I looked up at him.

"Ofcourse, You don't have to tell me what happened, though" I was struggling whether I would tell him what happened. Maybe I could skip a few.

"He was being mean, and he just dragged me out of the classroom. Who does he think he is anyway" Chanyeol stared at my wrist and his expression hardened. 

"Typical. He thinks he owns this place. He thinks he owns us just because his family is some powerful conglomerate. He and his friends are bad news, Nana. You don't want yourself getting into trouble" 

"I don't have any plans of acquanting myself with him under any circumstances. He gave me enough trouble already" I don't want myself getting stucked to another guy who could potentially hurt me. Kris reminded me of dad. How his aggressive and temperamental behavior compared to my dad's. It's not surprising to know if he beat up his girlfriends or friends. Why do I care anyway?

"So are you friends with him?" Oh my God, Nana. Why did you let it slip from your mouth. I couldn't look at Chanyeol after that. 

"Yeah, Was" He put an emphasis to the word was. And then I looked back at him.It wasn't surprising after all. Two handsome guys having a feud with each other. I bet on my unicorn stuffed toy their war was about a girl. I'm not judging them, but based from what I have watched in the dramas. There couldn't be any problem with two guys much worse than a girl. It stumbled upon me if this was a good idea- befriending Chanyeol. Being friends with him means getting into dilemma with Kris.

I continued eating peacefully, and so did Chanyeol. I still have my doubts on him. I just wanted a peaceful life away from all the danger. But I guess I'm a danger magnet. I remember when I first brought a guy home and introduced him to mom as my friend. Mom was really happy for me because she knows how difficult for me it is to gain friends, but then dad came home drunk. He took notice of my friend and went berserk. He yelled and called me disgusting names. I was barely holding it all together, but I wasn't going to show my friend I was weak. My friend had had enough of what he heard- he tried to attack my father. He lunged at him and punched him once. My father being the beast he is, was able to take a hold of my friend. He grabbed his neck and lifted him against the wall. I jumped on my father's back as I tried to sruggle him, but he was so strong. He threw me away and luckily I landed on the sofa. My friend was getting beaten by my dad badly. I can't do anything but just cry. But thanks to mom for grabbing some vase and hit my father at back of his head. (yes, my mom has a habit of hitting him with objects at the back of his head) and my dad went unconscious.My friend's status frightened me. We brought him to the hospital right away. He was in a coma for two weeks. His parents were histerical and had dad arrested. I begged for their understanding and forgiveness, but the only way to earn it was if I stayed away from their son. And so I did.

I never had a good history with boys and men. 

"What are you thinking? You look way too more serious" Chanyeol said. I simpered. We were having a very peaceful lunch til someone had to ruin it. Someone grabbed my burger and unwelcomely sat beside me.

"What are you making her eat, Chanyeol. This is not healthy at all." Ofcourse. There's none other than the golden boy. He's becoming uncontollably irritating. Chanyeol clenched his jaw and scoffed. I wasn't ready for another drama. 

"Here have this." Kris pushed a plate of salad towards me and winked at me. Not amusing! I lied. I got up and grabbed my bag, but Kris got a hold of my arm and stopped me.

"Sit and Eat" He looked at me seriously. I guess that maybe if I obeyed him he would leave me. And so I did.

"We are having a nice time here, Kris. And being the you are, have to ruin it" Chanyeol blurted out. I haven't seem him this pissed. Well, I just met him yesterday, but whatever, he's too pissed for Kris' liking.

"Look Chanyeol, I just want to feed her this. Burgers here are to greasy" Kris was purposely pushing Chanyeol's buttons. I can't get in between with these two. Chanyeol stood up and held my arm, urging me to stand up.

"She's not going anywhere" I glanced at Kris who was now gearing his anger against Chanyeol. What I did next was not planned at all. I regret it the minute I reached for the salad plate and threw its contents at Kris.Kris was shocked, but found it amusing. He brushed the chicken strips away from his beautiful face and his now soiled shirt. I quickly grabbed my bag and surprisingly, Chanyeol's hands. We run directectly towards the exit .I looked at Chanyeol's face and found him smiling. I took one quick glance at Kris, and he was nowhere to be found already.

Lim Jin Ah, what did you put yourself into.

Comments?

 

o