Chapter 1

You found a way

Nana's POV

"This is the final boarding call for passengers booked on flight 126A to Los Angeles City. Please proceed to gate 3 immediately. The final checks are being completed and the captain will order for the doors of the aircraft to close in approximately five minutes time. I repeat. This is the final boarding call for flight 126A. Thank you." My thoughts were disrupted by the final call for our flight. I looked at my ticket to Los Angeles and clutched it a bit. I can't believe we're finally leaving Korea. 

"Mom come on, the gate is closing in 5" I approached my mother who was staring blankly towards the oblivion. We were still traumatized by our near death experience with my father, but I couldn't let this get in the way with the last ounce of strength left in us. We need to be strong for us to be able to start a new life at LA. Away from all the bad memories that happened here in Korea. 

"Are you sure this is the only way?" She looked at me.

"Mom, I'm certain that dad will find a way to get out of jail and find us. It will only take him what? Weeks to find us if we moved houses but still stay in Korea. He's a very powerful man, mom. " There's no assurance that dad won't find us in LA, but it will give him a hard time locating us. 

As we approached the flight attendant, I made a final look to what we're going to leave behind. It pains me to leave the place which has given me so much memories. There are a lot of happy ones too, but whatever I do, the terrible memories still linger. I took the FA tearing our tickets as a sign that this is what's bound to happen.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome onboard Flight 126 A with service from Korea to Los Angeles. We are currently third in line for take-off and are expected to be in the air in approximately seven minutes time. We ask that you please fasten your seatbelts at this time and secure all baggage underneath your seat or in the overhead compartments. We also ask that your seats and table trays are in the upright position for take-off. Please turn off all personal electronic devices, including laptops and cell phones. Smoking is prohibited for the duration of the flight. Thank you for choosing Mountain Airlines. Enjoy your flight." My desire to sleep was starting to kick in. I made sure that mom was settled first before I go to my wonderland. 

I know I'm dreaming because the house I'm staring at is very familiar with me. As I opened the door, I was greeted with my mom and dad dancing to an 80's song in Christmas day which I heard from 18 years ago. They looked so inlove, I scoffed. My dad was whispering something to my mom that made her giggle. It was a very pleasing sight I would say.  They continued slow dancing till my mom sad something. "I'm pregnant, honey" 

"You are?" My dad happily asked. I could see stars in his eyes. It seems like I didn't know the man I'm seeing right now. He's not drunk nor high from drugs. He's a father figure that was deprived from me. God knows how badly I wanted to have a father that cares for me- that would cook me my snacks and bring me to school when mom wasn't at home. My dad hugged my mom tighlty and lifted her in the air. I couldn't help but smile. They were so happy until I came in this world. 

"Honey Honey, wake up we're here" My mom carefully nudged me. 

"Huh?" I questioned.

"We're here in LA. Fix your hair, hun. You look like a mess. A beautiful mess, though." My mom smiled at me and I returned it. I have always looked like a mess, though. Never have I ever put make up on to impress people. My dad would always push and nag me around whenever I tried to dress up. He said I was a trying to attract men. And with that, I shove away from the beautiful world. I shut down the opportunities that came knocking at my door.

"The flight took shorter than I expected. I was having a nice sleep, mom. It was the first in months" I fixed my hair and reached for our bags in the cabin. What I didn't know was, our bags were about to fall in one swift movement. I tried to block it from falling, but failed. I was causing a scene. 

"Let me help you" a tall guy with brown hair approached me and picked up the remaining bags.

"Ah okay. Thank you" I wasn't comfortable around guys. My mom knows that. I grew up with the fear of any guys hurting me. Based from what I experienced from my father, any guy is capable of hurting me. 

"Are you on vacation?" Ha. This guy doesn't get my silent treatment means please don't talk to me anymore. It was starting to annoy me. I'm not planning on having any friends here in LA. I'm not going to let anyone in. It scares me too much.

"Young lad, you see. My daughter here is not fond of boys approaching her despite her beauty, so let me answer your questions instead. No, we're not on vacation. We're going to live here." My mom butted in. I'm so sure that both me and the boy were dying of embarassment. I couldn't believe my mom said that. I eyed her in disbelief and she just smiled at me. I quietly withdrew from the world.

"Really? Do you have someone waiting for you? I can drive you to your house if you'd like?" This guy is something. He has this smile plastered in his face while looking at me, then shifted his gaze at my mom.

"It's so nice of you, but yes my sister is waiting for us." and our conversation ended just like that.

"You might want to hurry, Nana. You're aunt is probably waiting for us already" Mom said. I quicked dragged my luggage as it squeaked through the floors of LAX. I have this observation that Americans are always in a hurry. And they have skins to die for. Their caucasian skins are something to be envied of. I love the sight of them getting sunburned whenever they stay out in the beach. I'm a fan of american television and I couldn't believe I would be living the american dreams: american breakfast, hollywood, beaches, designer stores and a lot more. I have decided that I will live again.

"Unnie!!!!!!" I heard my mom shrieking in delight. She ran towards the people waiting for the passengers.

"Omo omo I can't believe you're here!" My said-to-be-aunt exclaimed. It was getting out of hand. I wasn't used to people shouting at us because they're happy to see us. Dad always made a point that he liked to yell at us because we're a nuisance.

"Is this Jin Ah?? Oh my, she grew up to be a fine and and tall lady!!" She made her way towards me and hugged me. There's nothing else I could so I lowered my body and hugged her back, to be polite. 

"Excuse me, young lad. Thank you for helping us with our things" I forgot that we're still with the company of the guy who helped me earlier. He managed to stay silent the whole time, and that gave me a sense of relief. 

"No problem, Ms.?" He questioned

"Call me, Alice. and this is my daughter Nana" She patted me. I gave him an awkard smile and bowed down as a token of appreciation for his help.

"Chanyeol. Call me, Chanyeol" He extended his hand at me. I stared at it for a second, debating with myself whether there's a need to shake his hand. I didn't want to make a bad impression, though. I awkwardly shaked his hand without looking at him. Great, Nana. You made yourself a friend that will possibly hurt you.

"Nana, come on. We're going" I thanked my mom in my head. Eventhough she embarassed me earlier, she found a way to make it up for me, even without her knowing that she already did. I smiled at the stranger infront of me. And he shyly smiled back. I took that as a que for me to leave.

"Uhm yeah, Bye. I hope to see you around here in LA, Nana" He waved eagerly. And me being the rude and awkward person that I am, ignored the nice guy who might be my friend anyway. I briskly walked along with my luggage and made my way to my aunt's car. My aunt owns a jeepney. Wow. I was amazed there for a moment. I knew that my mother's family has some fortune going on, yet she stayed with my useless dad. It was always a thought to ponder on for me as to why my mom decided to stick with my dad all these years, but then I remebered my dream. My dad and mom were happy and inlove before. I have never seen them be sweet or intimate around each other in my whole existence until my dream. Maybe I'm illegitimate ? My mom would tell me If I were, right?

"I'm sorry for what happened to you two. I told your mom that your dad was no good for her" my aunt looked at us apologetically. Huh, she knew that even before, my father is nothing but a complete .

"But you two are here now. You're going to start again. You are going to live with me and we're going to be a family" She held my mom's hand for a while since mom sat in the front seat. I realized that my mom's sister is who we needed our whole life. She saved us in our own darkness. She held my mom's hand like my mom was her bestfriend. I wish I had someone like my aunt.

I looked outside the car as we passed by the city of Los Angeles. The place is so alive. The sun is shining brightly above us, the palm trees are inviting me to go on an adventure, the people are casually walking with their dogs on leash, and my God- teens maybe 2 years younger than me were kissing sloppily. I didn't see that coming too soon. Yeah, whatever. Typical California.

An hour passed and I'm still making my way out of this jetlag. I feel tired but I couldn't get myself to sleep. My aunt parked infront of a two-storey house that's painted in grey. I unlocked the door and saw a girl waving at us. I wondered who she might be. We grabbed our staff and walked towards the house. When I got a closer look at the house, I can't help but be amazed. It's a beautiful house-it shouts home. Things are starting to get better for me and my mom. We are finally gonna live in a house that feels like home. 

 

Comments??????