Checking Bucket Lists

The Agent and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*SJK’s POV*

“What are we doing here?” she asks the moment we arrive at the small and cozy restaurant I used to frequent back in the day. I look around, studying the familiar place and remembering the memories I created here on the first few weeks granny took me in.

“Ya! Song Joong Ki! What are we doing here?!” she raises her voice to catch my attention and I turn to look at her, stunned. We agreed that she would be calling me by my first name since it would make others suspicious once they hear her call me ‘Agent Song.’

Only a few people know me here and no one, aside from Granny and Min Suk, knows my line of work. What the others only know is that I work in the city and nothing else. And besides, it wouldn’t do our ‘act’ good. But despite our agreement, hearing her call me that still surprises me. I remember the first time she uttered my name and I instantly felt my cheeks burn.

“So,” she said as she faced me and my eyes flashed to the clothes slinging on her arms, surprising me. I actually didn’t think that she’d find something interesting in that economy-wise store since as the President’s daughter, she’s used to being surrounded by expensive and top-branded clothes. I even felt bad as I wanted to take her to a decent looking store, to buy her the clothes she’s used to, but since we’re on a tight budget, I couldn’t.

But how surprised I was when as soon as we went inside the store, I saw her eyes light up in excitement. She then proceeded to examine the racks with the same concentration and attention I saw her giving the clothes from the expensive boutiques we visited back when I accompanied her in her shopping spree. It was as if she couldn’t care less of the brands or if they’re expensive or not. Again, I found myself in awe of her.

“Ahem,” she cleared and I turned my attention to her.

“Uh, y-yes, Miss? I.. I mean, Meahri?” I asked, not quite finding my voice and she raised a brow at me.

“I was thinking, since we’re keeping an act here and seeing that…” she paused for a moment and looked around her. “We already changed my name to Meahri,” she added, her voice lower. “Why don’t we change yours, too?”

“W-what?”

“Well, wouldn’t it be weird if people hear us talking and hear me calling you “Agent Song?”

“Oh, that,” I said, clearing my throat. “You have a point. But I don’t think that would be necessary Miss, since people here already know me.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot about that,” she answered, her hand flying to her chin as she mimicked a thinking expression. “Well, what about this, let me just call you by your first name, then. That way, people wouldn’t be too suspicious of us. Yes, that’s it!” she said, clapping her hands, seemingly excited at the thought of coming up with the perfect plan and I found myself staring at her. I wonder if she’s aware of how adorable she looked.

I shook my head and got rid of the thoughts before they could even wander farther.

“So, what’s your name again? Jung Kook? Jung….”

“Joong Ki, Miss,” I said, still couldn’t help but be amazed by her.

“Joong Ki?” she asked, and my heart started beating faster upon hearing her say my first name for the first time. I willed myself to nod. “Okay, then,” she added then turned her back to me as she continued going through the racks of clothes, while I on the other hand, kept cursing myself for not getting my bearings straight. But just when I was starting to recover, I heard her calling me again.

“Joong Ki…” she said, her voice sounding like music to my ears. Since when did my name sound that nice?

“Y-y-yes, Miss?” I stuttered as she gave me a smile. I felt my cheeks burning red by then.

“Oh, nothing. Just testing it out,” she simply said then walked away from me towards the next rack of clothes, oblivious of the fact that I was trying really hard to calm the pounding in my chest.

 

“We’re eating,” I simply answer as I lead her towards the less conspicuous part of the restaurant. I sense her wanting to ask more but decide to ignore her. Instead, I pull a chair for her and she glares at me before finally giving in and taking a seat. I take the seat in front of her, but still avoid her eyes, which I know are still glaring at me, as I look around. It’s been almost half an hour already since she uttered my name, but still I can’t get rid of the fluttery feeling in my chest.

A few minutes later, a waiter, someone I’m not familiar with approaches our table and asks for our order.

“Uh, what would you like to eat?” I ask, risking a look at her only to find her staring blankly at the menu. She then raises her eyes to meet mine, catching me off-guard.

“I don’t know. I’m not even familiar with any of these,” she says, staring at the menu, trying to decipher what each dish is like while my eyes flicker to the waiter who looks mesmerized, not that I could blame him. It’s not every day that one would find such a beautiful woman in a place like this.

Seeming to think that he had been gawking for so long, I clear my throat and startled, his attention turns to me.

“Okay, then. I’ll just order for us both, if that’s okay with you,” I offer and she nods.

“Sounds good to me,” she answers, closing the menu while I turn to the waiter and order the usuals. I then continue checking the place out, so as to avoid facing her. I still feel a bit conscious about earlier.

“Are you going to continue doing that?” she asks the moment the waiter left.

“Do what?” I ask, confused.

“You’re ignoring me,” she says.

“I’m not…”

“You are,” she insists.

“What makes you say that? I’m not,” I say as I turn to examine our surroundings, to avoid her eyes which seem to analyze my every move.

“See!” she exclaims and I turn my attention back to her.

“See what?”

“You are ignoring me!”

“I’m not ignoring you, Miss,” I say then turn towards the counter, feeling more and more conscious and wondering when our order will arrive.

“Then why are you acting weird? Why are you avoiding eye contact with me?” she asks, challenging me.

“I’m not.”

“You are.”

“I’m not,” I defend, but she’s unrelenting.

“Then prove it. Look me in the eyes,” she says and I look at her, baffled. “If you’re really telling the truth, then tell it to me straight while maintaining eye contact,” she firmly adds and I feel myself starting to break into sweats. Couldn’t she just let this go?

“Fine.” Sensing that she’s really serious about this and won’t let me get away, I finally give in. I don’t usually get tensed when facing challenges, nor do I even break a sweat when combating others, but somehow, she managed to make me feel nervous with this simple dare.

“Okay, then. Tell me you’re not ignoring me,” she confidently orders while I feel my hands getting cold. How will I be able to look her in the eye without feeling weak?

“I’m not ignoring you,” I quickly say then avert my eyes.

“No, that’s not it. That’s too quick. You have to do it in a normal pace,” she says.

“That’s not part of the deal. You didn’t mention it before,” I say, looking down and playing with the paper napkin I managed to grab hold of.

“But still,” she says but I ignore her. “You’re no fun.” I hear her sigh then out of the blue, she grabs my face with both hands and turns me to face her. My heart starts to beat wildly at the sudden contact.

“You have to do it like this. Tell, me. ‘Hye Kyo, I’m not ignoring you’,” she says and I look at her with wide eyes, then noting the change in her expression. “Wait, why is your face red? Your ears, too” she asked, confused and I grab the opportunity to free myself from her hands, keeping a safe distance. I swear, this girl would be the death of me.

“They’re not,” I lie as I fight the urge to cover my ears. “Why are you doing this anyway?”

“No reason. I’m just bored.”

“You’re just bored?” I ask incredulously. So, she thinks of me as a laughing stock? She nods her head. This is unbelievable.

“What? I’m your clown now? Someone to entertain you when you’re bored?”

“Yes. So?” she answers as if this should already be obvious. “Wait, why are you changing the subject? Just do the dare already,” she says but I just stare at her. She rolls her eyes. “And there I thought you never back down from anything. Why are you the leader of my security team again?” She asks and I take a deep breath. This girl doesn’t give up easily.

“If I do this, will you stop?” I ask, wanting her to stop focusing on me already and she nods. Sensing that she’s sincere, I take another deep breath to get this done and over with before staring back into her waiting eyes. Here goes.

“Fine.” I try to find my voice. They’re only a few simple words, but why do I find it so hard to utter them while locking eyes with her?

“Miss Hye Kyo….” I struggle to continue as I feel beads of sweat form on my forehead, trying so hard not to melt while staring at her in the eyes.

Her eyes, they’re so brown and telling. It’s as if they’re inviting me to look deeper, to read into the story they’re telling further. “I….” She blinks, her long lashes kissing her cheeks and my eyes follow the movement. It’s hypnotizing.

She looks at me, still beautiful in just a plain shirt and bare faced, waiting. I wonder if she’s aware of how effortlessly beautiful she is.

She’s stubborn. She’s a bit snobby, alright, and she doesn’t even try to hide her aversion towards me at times. She’s out of my league, I’m aware of that and I know I should be keeping my distance from her, but there’s just something about this girl that keeps me hooked. There’s just something about her that makes me want to stay by her side even if I know that I can’t ever be with her.

 “I….” I think I love you, Miss.

“Joong Ki?” A familiar manly voice interrupts my thoughts. “Joong Ki? Is that really you?” the voice continues and I turn to find the familiar face of Kwang Soo, my long time friend, happily staring back at me while he takes big steps towards us. Phew. Just in time.

“Kwang Soo,” I greet him, a little bit too relieved for the interruption.

“Oh geez, it really is you. Hey, dude, what’s up?” he asks and I stand up to give him a high five then a bro hug. “It’s been what? Three years? Five?”

“Four,” I correct him.

“Wah, seems like you’ve been too caught up in the life at the city that you forgot that you have a friend here,” he says, feigning hurt. He’s right, it’s been a while since we last saw each other. I’ve been too busy with work that I seldom had time to visit, and on the rare occasions that I did come to see him, he wasn’t here.

“I’m sorry, dude. I was just busy with work,” I say.

“Wah, I don’t believe you. Just admit it, you forgot about me,” he whines.

“Really. I’m telling the truth,” I answer, prepared to give a longer explanation since knowing him, he wouldn’t stop until he gets what he wants to hear, but I realize that he’s no longer staring at me but at the woman, behind me, silently observing our exchange.

“And who is this beautiful woman with you?” he asks, inching towards Miss Hye Kyo while she sits there, seemingly taken aback.

“Kwang Soo’s the name, Miss. And you are?” he asks, offering a hand.

“I’m Meahri,” she manages to say, looking a bit nervous while standing up to shake his hand but luckily, Kwang Soo is too mesmerized by her to notice that.

“Wow, you’re so pretty. I think I’ve seen you before,” he says and she flashes me a panicked look. “Where have I seen you? Hmm, are you a celebrity or something?” he asks while Miss Hye Kyo nervously shakes her head. “A news anchor? A politician? Nah.. I think you’re too young to be one. A TV personality perhaps?” He continues his guessing game while this time, she gives me a pleading look and out of instinct, I find myself butting in.

“Okay, enough with the interrogation, you’re scaring her off,” I say, feeling a bit territorial as I remove his hand from hers then moving to stand right next to her. She shoots me a grateful look. “Excuse him, he can be too much sometimes.”

“Ya! I’m not. Why do you keep saying that? If not for this beautiful lady, I’ll tell you to get lost. I’m the owner of this restaurant, remember?” he says and I roll my eyes. “And aish, this face? Scary?” he shakes his head. “You know how girls here are crazy over my looks, right?” he adds and this time, I shake my head. Typical Kwang Soo reaction.

We pause for a while as the waiter arrives and places our order.

“But really, I think I saw her somewhere. Are you sure you’re not a celebrity? He asks once more and she shakes her head while I give him a warning glare. “Weird, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen you before. And you, why are you acting so protective? It’s not like I’m going to kidnap her or something,” he adds and I feel her tense beside me. “And it’s not like she’s your girlfriend or something. You’re not that handsome enough to win a girl like her,” he adds and I can’t help but feel a bit hurt though I know he’s only joking.

“Only handsome guys deserve her, like me,” he says and from the corner of my eye, I see Miss Hye Kyo scowl but not wanting to offend my friend, she tries to hide it by lifting her drink.

“You’re right,” I say and I watch him smirk. “She’s not my girlfriend, she’s my wife,” I say, knowing fully well that if I don’t say that, he would just go ahead and make a move on her, which I’d like to believe won’t do us good. His face falls down while the lady I referred to as my wife sputters on her drink.

I immediately get my kerchief from my pocket and hand it to her. Grateful, she grabs it to wipe her lips as I then pat her gently at the back while she coughs. Once she has calmed down, she mutters a soft apology, hands me back my kerchief which I stuff back inside my pocket, then glares at me while I try to stop myself from smiling.

“Your wife?” Kwang Soo asks and I turn to him, looking smug.

“Yes,” I say as I snake an arm around her shoulders, earning me another glare from her. She tugs at my shirt, seeming to have something to tell me and I bend down to level my face next to hers.

“What are you doing?” she whisper shouts, her brows creased.

“Getting rid of him,” I say calmly and she gives me a look.

“What?!”

“Just trust me on this, okay?” I say as I resume standing up to face Kwang Soo, who I know was watching us. I clear my throat.

“Yes, she is. So, you better back off dude. I know we’re friends, but you also know that I don’t like it when someone else wants what’s mine,” I say and reluctantly, he nods. “And that includes that new waiter of yours,” I add, gesturing to the waiter who’s still watching us. With the current situation we’re in, we don’t need additional people to pry on our agenda. He turns towards his employee and signals him to get moving while the latter finally obeys.

That’s right, guys. Back off, Miss Hye Kyo may be a sight to behold, but she’s off limits.

---

 

*SHK’s POV*

“Ya!! What was that for?” I screamed, the moment we get home. He’s still locking the door and after hearing me yell, he then turns to me.

“What was what for?” he asks, looking clueless. Nice try, Agent Song, but I’m not falling for that.

“That!!” I scream, no longer able to hide my annoyance. “Wife?! Your wife??!” I can still remember how surprised I was when he said that earlier that I almost choked on my drink. He kept telling me to trust him, but I can’t help but be annoyed. It was sudden and totally uncalled for. Luckily, I was able to hide my irritation the whole time while we talked with Kwang Soo seeing that it would lead to a ton of questions and suspicions on his part and we don’t need those at the moment. But now that we’re home alone, I can finally let it all out.

“I told you, I was trying to get rid of him,” he calmly says as he walks past me towards the kitchen. I follow after him.

“By saying that?! Did you really have to go that far?!” I accuse him, frustrated.

“He was trying to make a move on you, and judging on how you looked earlier, you were in panic. We don’t need something that would blow our cover.”

“So, it’s my fault now?!!” I ask, incredulously. This is unbelievable. So, he’s throwing the ball in my court?!

“I’m not saying that, Miss. What I’m saying is that, knowing Kwang Soo, he wouldn’t stop until he knows almost everything about someone he’s interested in. And you saw how he looked at you. He would pry and pry until he….”

“And so?!!” I stop him. Is it my fault now that his friend is interested in me? He sighs.

“Are you a liar?” he calmly asks.

“What?! No! How dare you!” How dare him ask me that? Did he forget that I’m still his boss?

“I’m sorry, it came out wrong. I mean, are you comfortable of lying?” he asks one more time.

“Of course not,” I say. Even coming up with a fake name makes me feel uncomfortable.

“I thought so,” he says and I glare at him. Does he think I’m weak? “What I’m trying to say is that, with him asking so many questions, you might feel flooded and overwhelmed. And since I can’t ask you to come up with lies or to make up a story about whatever he may ask you, I just had to step in and stop him. You’re not comfortable to make up lies, I thought, so I lied for you,” he adds and I stare at him blankly. Well, he has a point, but I still don’t like it. Does he mean that I should be thankful that he did that for me?!

“It saved us a whole lot of trouble and did you see how he started to keep distance from you?” he continues. Fine. Fine. Fine. He’s right.

“And I don’t get it. Why are you so upset when it’s you who started this in the first place…” he says and I look at him.

“What do you mean? Started what?” I ask, unable to know what he’s getting to.

“Well, if I remember correctly, you introduced me as your boyfriend when we attended your friend’s party,” he says. Oh, not that again. “I don’t know why you’re so upset that I told MY friend that we’re married.”

“Us?! Married?!” I say, with my voice raised. “Yuck!!” I add, making gagging sounds as he places his glass of water at the table. He’s unbelievable.

“Eew, eew, eww! You wish!” I say, trying to erase it from my mind.

“Yes, I wish,” I think I hear him say, but I’m not sure.

“What did you say?” I ask, glaring at him.

“What? I didn’t say anything,” he answers innocently. He didn’t? Okay, fine. Whatever. He gets the glass, takes a sip then taps it with his finger while holding it, which reminds me….

“And ya! Who gave you the permission to hold me like that?!” I accuse him, remembering how he wound his arm around my shoulders earlier, while he stares at me blankly. “You keep forgetting your place,” I add. “We may be far and away from the Blue House, but I’m still your boss. So, don’t you touch me like that or even come near me ever again, understand?!”

“Copy, Miss,” he says calmly then takes another sip. How can he be so calm like that while I feel like blowing up? “Good!” I say as I storm out and go inside his room then slam the door shut. Ugh, he is so annoying!

--- 

I close the door then stroll across the room to check my reflection in the mirror next to his cabinet. I have just finished taking a bath and am now wearing the clothes we bought from earlier. I must admit, I was so annoyed for bringing me to that stinky market place earlier. I was even doubtful if I’d ever find decent clothes there, but the moment we entered the clothing store and glimpsed a few okay looking tops hanging on the racks, I immediately knew I was wrong. In fact, I was able to get several nice finds. Well, they’re not the perfect fit, but they’re also not too bad either, considering their super affordable price.

I actually enjoyed searching each rack as if someone on the hunt of some sort of hidden treasure. I was having such a good time that my annoyance from earlier was left forgotten. Indeed, shopping works wonders to one’s mood.

However, my already good mood was again ruined during with what happened in Kwang Soo’s mini-restaurant. And not even the unfamiliar yet yummy dishes served were enough to placate me. And to think that Agent Song was not even and still is not apologetic towards what he did. Ugh! I hate him.

I even made it a point to glare at him the moment our eyes met when I emerged from the room to fetch myself a glass of water. I’m going to get you, Agent Song. Just you wait.

Pleased with what I’m wearing and the rest of my purchases, I get ready for bed after I dry my hair. Now to get some beauty rest.

For the first few minutes, I lie in bed thinking about several things – the happenings of today and yesterday, wondering when we get to go home and where my parents are of if they’re safe. “They’re safe, you don’t need to worry,” I remember Agent Song saying over and over whenever I ask him. He seems so confident in that, so maybe I should just trust him, even if he gets under my skin sometimes.

Speaking of him, I wonder where he’s sleeping. Not that I really care, I’m just wondering since I’ve been occupying his room for the last couple of days. Is he still sleeping, cramped on the couch at the living room? Or maybe, since Min Suk’s away, he took over his room?

I’m guessing, well more of wishing that it’s the latter. It should be the latter. I may hate him now, but I do feel bad that because of me, he isn’t able to sleep comfortably.  

Realizing that I already need to sleep, I get rid of my thoughts and start to close my eyes. I’m just about to doze off when the sound of roosters crowing startles me. My eyes fly open.

For a moment, there’s only silence. It’s just nothing right? It’s normal for roosters to make sounds like that, right? I try to convince myself. But then just when I’m about to close my eyes again, the sound of crowing is replaced by scratching sounds near the window. This time, I’m wide awake.

A shadow passes by the window and my heartbeat quickens. No, Hye Kyo. Your eyes are just playing tricks on you. Don’t panic, I keep telling myself as I hide under my blanket.

The scratching becomes louder and I find myself getting more and more scared by the moment. Scratching sounds. Dead chickens. A hideous creature. It can’t be true, right? He was just trying to scare me earlier. Only little kids believe in that kind of story. And you’re no longer a kid, Hye Kyo. Be brave.

After getting my bearings straight, and after much convincing, I finally get myself to calm down. It’s not real, Hye Kyo. He was just joking. The chupa-whatever’s not real. Yes, not real. Not real. And so my mantra goes.

I take deep breaths to calm myself more and after a few moments, the scratching finally stops. I breathe a sigh of relief. See, Hye Kyo? Not real. There’s nothing to worry aboou….

A loud screeching sound breaks the silence of the night and I jump out of bed immediately. Panicking, I open the door and run out of the room towards the living room only to bump into something solid. Scared, I look into the worried eyes of Agent Song, staring down at me.

“What’s wrong, Miss? Are you okay?” he worriedly asks and I cling to him, no longer caring whether I look desperate or not for as long as I get him to protect me. “Miss, please answer me. Are you okay?” he asks, grabbing me gently by the shoulders.

“No, don’t let me go. Please,” I plead, clinging unto him while shaking.

“I won’t let you go,” he says, prying me off of him but I refuse to budge. “I promise, Miss. I won’t. Just tell me what’s wrong,” he asks, concern clear in his voice. Sensing that he’s sincere, I let myself loosen my grip on him a little.

“There’s a…there’s something in my room,” I stutter and he tenses.

“What?!” he asks. He’s alert now.

“Chupacabra… there’s a chupacabra in my room,” I quickly say then burrow my face in his chest, trying to hide, until I feel it shaking a little. I look up to find him chuckling. Wait, he’s laughing? Is he laughing at me?

“What’s so funny?” I ask, feeling a bit insulted.

“Miss, I was just joking earlier. The chupacabra’s not real,” he says, seeming to stop himself from laughing harder.

“What?!”

“I was just trying to scare you off earlier. I’m sorry,” he says.

“But the scratching, the crowing... and didn’t you hear that loud screeching sound earlier??” I’m so convinced of what I heard.

“It’s normal for roosters to crow from time to time, Miss and the scratching must’ve been caused by the rats. There’s lots of it here.”

“But the screeching….”

“Must be a cat,” he says, his eyes crinkling. “Again, I’m sorry for joking at you like that, Miss,” he says. This is unbelievable. I can’t believe I fell for that.

“Why you!!!!” I start hitting him with one hand but he grabs it effortlessly. “Ya!!!”

“You might hurt yourself, Miss,” he says. True, hitting him isn’t exactly painless. But I don’t care. I try to untangle myself from his grip then start hitting him again. He just stands there, as if unaffected then sighs. Eventually, I grow tired and stop hitting him.

“I thought there’s no touching happening between us, Miss?” he asks and I give him an incredulous look. What? Does he think I want to touch him? Eew, no! “Then why do you keep doing that?” he asks and I open my mouth to protest but then as I look down I realize that indeed, one arm of mine wound itself around his waist while my other hand is rolled into a fist against his chest.

“I didn’t realize you like hugging people, Miss,” he says and I immediately distance myself then give him a death glare.

“I don’t!” I scream at him, but he only smirks. “I hate you!!!” I add. Ugh, I am so annoyed.

“Can’t say the same, Miss,” he calmly answers, which irritates me more. I turn my back on him, prepared to storm towards the bedroom, only to realize the reason why I went here in the first place. He watches me as I turn towards him again.

“Yes, Miss? Anything else you need?” he asks and I clear my throat. This is embarrassing, but I don’t have any other choice.

“Agent Song,” I start and he answers with a “Yes?”

“Didn’t you promise my father that you’d protect me with your life no matter what it takes?” I ask him seriously and he nods, seeming unsure of where this is leading to.

“Yes, Miss. I promised I’d keep you safe,” he answers.

“At all costs?” I ask, raising a brow.

“At all costs,” he firmly answers.

“Good,” I say, feeling a bit triumphant and he looks at me confused. “Then, you should protect me from that creature, whether it’s real or not,” I quickly add before he could even in.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter