Of birthdays and Celebrations

The Agent and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

*SJK’s POV*

“I still can’t believe that the President’s daughter is your girlfriend,” Wolf mutters beside me and I give him a warning glance as we watch Hye Kyo and her friends watching Mr. Yoo as he poses for the camera.

He’s having a photoshoot for a magazine today which wants to feature him, the son of a senator and his love for arts. Hye Kyo wanted to go and surprise him since she told me that her friend rarely agrees to do this. It turns out their other friends went to support him, too.

“Be quiet. Someone might hear you,” I mutter under my breath, a bit worried that someone might have heard what he just said. I still remember his shocked face last night upon catching me and Hye Kyo in the act. I felt Hye Kyo tense beside me while I immediately sat up, ignoring the pain in my shoulder.

“I.. uh.. I just came by to clarify something about tomorrow’s arrangements,” he said hurriedly, his eyes looking everywhere aside us. “I’ll.. uh.. just be outside…” he said, bowing before quickly scampering away.

The moment he closed the door, I then turned towards Hye Kyo, giving her a reassuring squeeze in the hand since with her being speechless, I knew that she was already getting nervous. Still startled by what happened, she turned towards me, a hint of worry seen in her eyes.

“You should rest. You’ve had a long day,” I told her then gave her a comforting smile.

“But…” she tried to argue, her eyes glancing briefly towards the door where I knew Wolf was still standing next to, shocked.

“I’ll take care of it,” I said, but she was still looking uneasy. “I’ll talk to him, okay? Don’t worry. I’ll take care of this,” I added, trying my best to comfort her and she sighed.

“Okay,” she finally managed to say and I smiled. “I’ll go now,” she said standing up while my eyes followed her. “You should rest for a couple of days, give yourself time to heal and recover. Tell Wolf to take over,” she added and I could only nod.

Satisfied of my answer, she started to turn around. She’s about to walk away when she stopped again then turned and looked down at me.

“Are..are you sure about this?” she asked one more time, hesitant.

“Yes,” I answered firmly and she nodded.

“Fine. I’ll just tell Min Ji to get the tray later,” she said while I nodded like an obedient child. And then, just when I didn’t expect it, she leaned down to give me a gentle peck on the cheek. “Good night, Agent Song.”

“Good night, Miss,” I answered her, still surprised of what just happened.

 

“Relax, nobody’s there,” he says and true enough, nobody’s there since everyone was busy watching the shoot including Hye Kyo who has her arms crossed in front of her chest while talking with Miss Min Young as if scrutinizing their friends’ pose. Meanwhile, Miss Hyo Joo is busy talking to someone on her phone. “Wah. I really didn’t have an idea that the girl you’ve been talking about is Miss Hye Kyo. I was thinking how foolish it was that you were passing up an opportunity to meet a beautiful woman and that maybe you just made it up so you wouldn’t have had to go on that blind date, but it turns out you were telling the truth. You really are taken, and more importantly, by the first daughter. Wow. Unbelievable,” he exclaims and this time I chuckle softly.

As if sensing us talking about her, she turns towards us and gives me a smile.  I smile in return. At least she’s not mad at me anymore. I recall how angry she was at me earlier today. She initially didn’t want me to go to work today as well as the coming days. She even frowned the moment she saw me standing guard at the dining room despite my injured arm.

“Are you crazy?! You’re not even well yet. You have to rest,” she scolded me the moment we were alone. But I argued with her. I didn’t want to stay in bed all day, and I very well couldn’t rest knowing that she’s out there while several dangers are lurking everywhere. I know, I trust my team and I very well know that they’re capable of bringing down any unwanted circumstances, but still, I just had to make sure, myself, that she’s safe and that she’s well-guarded.

 

She rolls her eyes good naturedly then smiles again until Miss Min Young calls her attention and she leans closer to hear what her friend’s talking about. I shake my head finding her adorable.

“You’re right. I sometimes, couldn’t believe my luck, too. We all know how many men are trying to vie for her attention, and not only just ordinary men – chaebols, businessmen, heirs. There are a lot of eligible bachelors capable of giving her the luxurious life that she’s used to and yet she chose me,” I say, feeling the truth in my words.

“Don’t belittle yourself man, they may be rich, but you, too, have something to show off. Did you forget the reason why the chief chose you to lead the first daughter’s security team out of all the others in the first place?” he asks and I turn to him as if not knowing what he’s talking about. He sighs. “Come on, man. The top student in military school? The youngest soldier to be promoted to a major. One of the most promising agents of the Secret Service, what else could she ask for? You aren’t called big boss for nothing,” he says and I scoff at hearing him somehow praise me. Just last night he was scolding me, telling me off for taking a risk so big and having the guts to date the country’s first daughter and now he’s complimenting me?

“Are you serious, Big Boss? The President’s daughter, your girlfriend? Tell me you’re joking,” he said, pacing around my room while whisper shouting.

“I am serious, and I am not joking,” I told him.

“But she’s Miss Hye Kyo. The President of South Korea’s daughter. Sorry to say this but what were you thinking?”

“I know. I didn’t plan for this to happen either, but she chose me. She accepted me. I also don’t know what she saw in me that got her into thinking that I am worthy of her love, but she loves me and I love her even more. I couldn’t be more grateful,” I told him, realizing that I’m explaining this to myself, too.

He sighed, remained silent for a few seconds before looking at me.

“I’m sorry if it may have sounded as if I was demeaning you, Big Boss. I was only surprised…”

“I don’t blame you. I wouldn’t expect someone like her to like someone like me either,” I answered him honestly and it took him moment to answer back.

“It’s not that,” he said then looked at me. “Does the President know about this?”

I shook my head. “No, not yet. In fact, there’s only three person who know about this. My family, Miss Min Young and now you,” I said then turned to him. “You’re not going to report us, aren’t you?” I asked getting scared of what might happen especially to her once everyone finds out.

“Of course not. You know you can trust me,” he said. “I would never betray you.”

“Thanks, Wolf,” I told him, grateful and he nodded in acknowledgement before looking pensive once again.

“You do know that this is dangerous, don’t you?”

“I know. And believe me, I’m 100% aware of what I’m doing,” I told him sincerely. “It’s just that everything’s chaos right now and we don’t want to add to the problem. I’m going to the President and ask for his permission to officially court his daughter the moment all these are done. But for now, we’re only keeping this for ourselves until we’re sure that it’s safe to come out since we know that with just a single wrong move, things can go wrong. It will be her who will be affected more and I don’t want that to happen,” I said and again he turned silent before nodding as if slowly taking things in.

“One more question, big boss,” he asked then met my eyes. I held his, prepared for whatever question he may ask. “Are you happy?”

“Yes,” I answered almost instantly, also surprising myself. “Very. I’ve never been happier,” I added.

“Okay…” he said after considering my words. “Then, if that’s the case, I’m happy for you, big boss,” he added and I gave him a look, surprised. What did he just say?

“As you friend, and not just your colleague, I am all for your happiness. It took you long and now it’s finally here and based on what I can see, the young miss is also very happy now,” he said and my expression softens. “I’m glad you found each other,” he said, starting to stand up to head towards the door.

“Good luck, big boss,” he said next to the door. “And get some rest. You have your woman to protect from now on,” he said and I blinked for a few times before watching him close the door behind him.

 

“Wait, don’t tell me you haven’t told her about that yet,” he says and I turn to him, confused.

“What do you mean?”

“You didn’t tell her your rank, didn’t you?” he asks and when I don’t answer, he shakes his head. “Thought so.”

“What for? It doesn’t matter anyway and besides, it’s not impressive,” I shrug him off.

“Being promoted to a major at the age of 28 not impressive?!” he asks, confused.

“Let it go, man. And besides, I don’t need a rank to be able to protect her.”

“Fine. If you say so,” he says. “But don’t you at least think that she has a right to know? She’s your girlfriend after all,” he says and I pause, thinking that he does have a point. Maybe he is right. I sigh.

“Okay, fine. I’ll tell her later when I get the chance,” I answer while watching the scene in front of us. Mr. Yoo has finally finished with his shoot and is now giving the three women friendly hugs. I know I easily got jealous when I saw Dong Wook hugging Hye Kyo before, but now, it’s different. With her constant reassurances and with me knowing that he and Mr. Yoo are just friends, and are even like siblings I don’t feel that upset anymore, though I’m hoping that it’s me she’s standing next to her right now.

“Are you going to invite her, though?” Wolf asks once again beside me and I give him a questioning look. “Your birthday’s coming,” he adds and understanding dawns on me. Oh right, it’s a few days before my birthday.

“You know I don’t usually celebrate it,” I tell him, thinking it’s unnecessary to throw a celebration over that occasion. Granny and Min Suk always give a fuss about that day, buying cake and taking me to that place where Hye Kyo and I had dinner last time whenever I was home. Otherwise, if I’m away on a mission or away from home, that day usually passes by just like any other ordinary day unceremoniously.

“Well, I’m thinking now that you have a girlfriend, you have a reason to celebrate. You may want to throw a party since you now have someone to invite as your guest,” he says which piques my interest. He’s right. When I come to think of it, I do want to invite her, though I’m not aiming for a big celebration. Just a simple lunch with Granny, Min Suk and a few close friends may be and of course, her.

“You have a point,” I say, making him smile.

“I usually do,” he smugly answers and I stop myself from rolling my eyes.

“I’ll think about it, though I’m absolutely sure I won’t be having a big party,” I tell him.

“It doesn’t matter. For as long as I’m invited, too,” he says, joking. “After all, it’s me who gave you this idea.”

“Fine. I’ll let you know,” I tell him as Hye Kyo and her friends make a move towards us as if ready to leave.

---

*SHK’s POV*

“What do you mean Agent Song and the others went out?” I ask Min Ji the moment we finished dinner. I was wondering why my bodyguards are nowhere in sight since the moment we arrived home. I tried to contact Joong Ki but he’s not answering my calls thus I decided to ask Min Ji, thinking that maybe she has any idea where they’d gone to.

“Well, from what I heard, they’re out to celebrate Agent Song’s birthday,” she says. I blink. She’s right, it is Joong Ki’s birthday today. I even gave him a birthday peck this morning, the moment I got the both of us alone, catching him completely by surprise. I still remember his shocked face, making me laugh even up until now whenever I think of it. Sometimes I wonder how he became an agent when I can easily surprise him like that. Or maybe he’s just pretending to be surprised? But, really, he seems to be genuinely startled.

“Celebrate?” I ask, confused. The last time I checked, he didn’t want to have a big celebration. He told me that specifically. But then, much to my surprise and my parents’, he invited me for his birthday lunch which will be held tomorrow, the day after his birthday since I had to attend two business meetings and one charity event today. I even apologized to Joong ki but he just smiled and told me that it doesn't matter since for as long as he gets to be near me on the day of his birthday, it's already enough for him.

“Granny wants to thank Miss Hye Kyo, Sir by making her a special meal,” he told my father. By kindness, he meant me sending Granny cooking equipment to help with her business as my own sign of gratitude for making me feel at home during my stay there. Joong Ki protested at first, but then gave in when I told him that it’s not for him and that he can’t stop me from buying those things for Granny. In the end, he only sighed in defeat.

“Alright. But you might need to take another bodyguard with you to help guard my daughter,” I remember hearing my father say before exchanging a meaningful glance with Joong Ki. “And besides, you should enjoy yourself and not work. It’s your birthday after all,” and with that being said, my father gave me permission to go back to Joong Ki’s province. “Have fun and happy birthday, Agent Song. Send my regards to your family.”

 

 

"Well, I don't think Agent Song knew about it at first since I heard one of the agents saying that it's going to be 'one hell of a surprise' but from what I heard, they're taking him out on a night out," she says tilting her head and pursing her lips as if trying to recall what she just heard. “And wait, I think I heard another saying they prepared a gift for him. Pole dancers, I think?” she adds and my ears spring into attention on hearing that. Pole dancers?!

“Wah. Unbelievable.  And there I thought those serious guys were honorable. I was even starting to crush on that Harry Potter guy, but…” she sighs. “Boys will be boys,” she adds, looking dejected then returns back to what she’s doing.

So, that’s why he’s not answering. Song Joong Ki, you may be an agent, but I WILL KILL YOU!

---

 

*SJK’s POV*

“Maybe you should do the rounds tonight,” I tell Wolf the moment we exit the car. It’s almost midnight and we have just arrived from a ‘surprise party’ organized by my men. Apparently, despite me not wanting a big celebration, they still wanted to throw a party and even booked a private room in one of Seoul’s finest bars for it.

I was about to retreat to my room the moment we arrived earlier when Piccolo and Harry Potter approached me and told me something was up and warranted my attention. Worried that it might’ve concerned Hye Kyo, I immediately sprang into action and followed them as they led me to the car.

“What is it? What’s the problem? Is it the young miss?” I asked, alert and ready when they just smiled and shook their head.

“No, sir. There’s no problem,” Piccolo says giving Snoopy, who was at the driver’s seat, a sidelong glance as if trying to send a message.

“What do you mean, there’s no problem?” I asked, confused. “You just told me something was up!” I demanded, I was getting annoyed by then

“Er.. yes. But it doesn’t concern the young miss,” he answered then elbowing Harry Potter who just arrived at the scene with Wolf in tow.

“We have a surprise for you, Big boss,” Harry Potter added and I looked at them, frowning.

“A surprise?!” I asked and I turned to look at Wolf who just shrugged as if he didn’t have anything to do with it. “What surprise?!”

“Well, you have to come with us to find out, Big Boss,” Piccolo said and I argued that I won’t since I still had duties to fulfill but they brushed me off saying that they got permission from the Chief.

“I can charge you with insubordination, you know,” I told them the moment we drove away, thinking why I agreed to coming with them.

“But it’s past working hours and we’re relieved from duty, Big Boss. Technically, you’re not our superior right now,” Harry Potter said and I glared at him, hating that he was right. I turned to Wolf who was sitting at the passenger’s seat, silent, asking for help. He cleared his throat and I smirked, expecting that he would tell them off… but I was wrong.

“He’s right, big boss,” he said initially. “Let’s just allow them. Maybe it wouldn’t be that bad,” he added, not meeting my eyes in the mirror.

“It sure wouldn’t be that bad. We’re going to have one hell of a night. Trust us, big boss. It’s going to be fun. It’s your birthday after all,” Snoopy said and I sighed in defeat, thinking that with the four of them conniving against me like this, I wouldn’t win.

 

“No thanks, Big Boss. I’d rather inspect all the rooms in the east and west wings,” he says as if he couldn’t wait to get away. We are walking towards the back door of the Blue House now. “And besides, the first daughter’s room and the two other guest rooms are your responsibility. It would be unprofessional to hand it over to another in such a short notice,” he adds. “And wouldn’t the first daughter become suspicious when it’s not you who checks her room as what you always do every night? It IS your birthday. I’m guessing she also wants to greet you,” he continues and I feel my hands start to sweat. He has a point.

If I knew right from the start that their idea of the word ‘fun’ was filling the room with drinks and even booking some pole dancers to ‘entertain’ us, I wouldn’t have admitted defeat that easily. I glared at Wolf who was also shocked right next to me and upon finally catching his eyes, I gave him a look.

Fun?! I mouthed at him and he gave me a look as if telling me “I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

 

“I’m going ahead big boss,” he then tells me as we reach the door. “Happy birthday again, Big boss,” he adds, leaving me still frozen in place, still thinking of what to do next. He’s about to head towards the other side of the mansion when he turns around again and faces me.

“By the way, what time are we leaving tomorrow?” he asks. He volunteered to accompany me and Hye Kyo to granny’s place for lunch, which is kind of him. “It will give you the chance not to hide your relationship even just for a few hours,” he said when I asked him why he did that when it’s supposed toe be his day off. “Consider it as my gift, Big Boss,” he added and in that moment I felt grateful to have him not only as my next-in-charge, but friend as well.

“9:00 sharp,” I tell him and he nods in acknowledgement before muttering an ‘alright’ and turning away. 9:00, if I’ll still be alive by tomorrow.

---

As I ascend the stairs and head towards the wing where her room is located, I begin to take every step slowly, getting more nervous as I do so. The other agents confiscated my phone earlier and wouldn’t give it to me until the night was done. They even encouraged the pole dancers to come to me, but luckily (AND thankfully), Wolf came to my rescue, telling the others that there was no use ‘trying to entertain’ me since I was already taken. Not that I wasn’t prepared to leave the place if they insisted. I would never cheat on Hye Kyo even if it’s what they call my ‘birthday gift.’

Speaking of her, I wonder if she’s mad at me right now. Judging by the number of missed calls from her I saw the moment the guys gave me my phone back and the numerous “Where are you?” text messages, I’m guessing that she is, and not only mad, but very mad.

I am so dead.

I gulp just as I arrive at the front of her door, pausing and praying to the heavens that she would accept me when I beg for her forgiveness then take a deep breath before raising my arm to knock on the door.

I knock once, twice, but there’s no answer.

I try one more time and when I still don’t hear something from the other side of the room, I slowly open the door and cautiously poke my head in as I face my doom.

--- 

The first thing I notice the moment I enter the room is that it’s dark. The lights were dimmed and the windows are slightly open, causing the moonlight to stream inside the room. I am about to think that she’s already asleep when I see a feminine form standing just right beside her dresser, her back towards me. I take a small step then close the door quietly behind me.

“Hye Kyo?” I cautiously ask while slowly easing myself inside the room. She doesn’t respond. I’m about to call her again, thinking that maybe she didn’t hear me when she slowly turns around and faces me, her face unreadable, making me start to sweat.

I gulp. “I’m here. Why are you still awake? It’s late…” I start, but realizing that it wouldn’t be a smart move to continue, I turn quiet and try to approach her. She looks at me, her face devoid of any emotion, which makes me nervous. I approach her anyway, making my way to give her a kiss on the cheek to greet her when she turns her face in the opposite way.

I slowly pull away, fighting the urge to gulp again.

“Sit,” she says, her voice small yet commanding and I find myself wordlessly following her order. I sit.

In the military and even now that I’m part of the secret service, I’m always the one who gets to order the men, the men who have undergone rigorous training and the men who I know and believe are capable of protecting the country. But here in this room, I’m the one who follows.

I watch her watching my every move as I scamper towards the nearest chair. She looks like an ice queen, wearing a white gown and white robe and crossing her arms over her chest while staring at me the entire time. I usually don’t get nervous easily. I’ve faced murderers, rogue soldiers and even brought some of them down. I’ve survived shootings and got stuck in the middle of a mine field. I’ve dealt with wars and was even held hostage at some point. Yet, even in those situations, I was calm.

This, on the other hand, is different. I find myself getting more and more nervous with each passing second, getting scared of the petite figure standing in the opposite side of the room, who, even just by being silent causes my heart to beat erratically.

It takes a few seconds before she moves, taking a few steps towards me and just when I feel myself melting under her gaze while beads of sweat start to form on my forehead and I start to wonder how to escape, she speaks.

“You’re late,” she manages to say, simply yet accusatorily. I immediately find myself getting on the defensive mode.

“I’m sorry, the guys took me out. I didn’t know… I didn’t want to go but they insisted and…” I start to ramble nervously while she watches me. Currently, I feel like a criminal under interrogation over a heinous crime he has committed.

“You didn’t answer my calls,” she says, cutting me off and I instantly know that I’m in trouble. Big trouble.

“I….. I had no means to… They confiscated my phone. They wouldn’t even let me out of their sight. They just…”

 “You made me worry,” she says nonchalantly, still expressionless yet her words shoot bullets towards me.

“I know. I didn’t mean it… I…” I continue saying, realizing how lame it is to keep on making excuses. I stop. I then take a breath while looking at her still looking at me quietly. I sigh, defeated.

“I’m sorry…” I quietly continue, bowing down in shame.

I’m still scolding myself for being so stupid, not finding a way to call her and even at least let her know where I was so as not to worry her while looking down on the floor when I see a pair of dainty feet in white slippers stop in front of me.

Even her feet are pretty. I think to myself as I start looking up then meet her gaze.

 “I couldn’t get a hold of you. Did you do that on purpose?” she asks, looking down on me coldly and I avert my eyes, feeling guilty.

“No, no.. I didn’t. I swear I didn’t..” I stutter.

“I called you so many times, but you didn’t answer even once,” she coldly says.

“I only got my phone back the moment we got home. If I had it with me, I….”

“You watched pole dancers in your party,” she says. Uh-oh. She knows about that? How?

“Yes, there were pole dancers,” I manage to croak. There’s no way out of this, so it’s best to just be honest. “Piccolo and the others invited them. But I swear, I didn’t look. I promise.. I…” Truly, I didn’t look the entire time. Sure, they were flaunting their bodies in front of me, one was even bold enough to approach me, but I didn’t even have the slightest interest in them. Instead of having fun and enjoying the party like what the others were doing, I found myself getting more annoyed every minute, wanting to go home already, but still they kept insisting that we stayed.

From the way they were enjoying, I was starting to think that they only made my birthday as an excuse so they could organize a party like that.

“Really now.” She says, leaning forward and I find myself gulping why I lean back against my chair, wondering how to escape.

“I’m sorry, you must be so mad at me. It’s my fault. I should’ve tried harder. I should’ve found a way to contact you,” I start. “But I didn’t. I was too slow to realize that and ended up worrying you. I’m sorry. You must think I’m a lousy boyfriend, thinking that I wasn’t thinking about you. But I swear, that’s not the case. I wouldn’t dare look at others who are not you. I only want you. I’m sorry if I made you think otherwise. I….” I am about to continue, prepared to beg for her forgiveness when she gives me a peck on the lips, silencing me.

“H-hye kyo?” I stutter, still shocked that she kissed me and she smiles slightly then, much to my surprise, sits down on my lap, wounding her arms around my shoulders.

“Do you know how worried I was?” she asks against my neck, finally a little hint of emotion heard in her voice– worry and I immediately feel apologetic. Slowly, and after finally registering what’s happening, I slowly wrap my arms around her waist, hugging her back.

“I’m sorry. I know it’s lame that I’ve been saying this a lot tonight, but I really am. I’m sorry,” I say then bury my face into her hair and closing my eyes. I bury my face deeper, inhaling her scent and the sweet lilac fragrance of her shampoo, loving our closeness and she sighs.

“I know,” she quietly says.

“You know?” I ask and she slightly pulls away to look at me.

“And I forgive you,” she says. I blink.

“You do?” I ask one more time and she smiles, but doesn’t answer. Instead, she stands, walks back towards her dresser, grabs something from her drawers then comes back to my embrace, but not before giving me something.

I blink a few times, staring at the little black box she’s handing me.

“Take it,” she urges and I comply, still dazed.

“W-what’s this?” I ask, confused and surprised.

“A gift,” she mutter matter-of-factly as if it should already be obvious. I can already sense her wanting to roll her eyes.

“You didn’t have to. I don’t deserve this, I….” I say, ing the gift towards her gently.

“But I want to.”

“But….”

“Just open it, okay?” she sighs then finally rolls her eyes. Not wanting to annoy her, I finally oblige. I open the box then get surprised at the sight of a nice-looking watch inside. I look at her, looking so excited to see my reaction. “Happy birthday,” she smiles and despite wanting to argue, I smile back. I then take out the watch and examine it. Even just from a single look, it looks expensive. Not that it shouldn’t be as it looks really good and classy with a black leather strap and a silver frame.

“So? Do you like it?” she asks excitedly and I couldn’t help but feel excited, too.

“I do,” I say, pleasing her. “But, Hye Kyo, this is too much.”

“What do you mean too much?” she asks, confused.

“You didn’t have to buy me this. I know this is expensive, you shouldn’t waste

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter