Free-flowing

The Agent and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*SJK’s POV*

Did it really happen? Did I just not dream it? Am I not dead yet? I find myself asking while descending the stairs, still unable to believe what just happened. Unconvinced, I decide to pinch myself but realize how absurd that is since I’m really 100% awake.

So, it’s real. It’s really real.

She really is my girlfriend now. The one I thought I could never have is mine now and she loves me.

I am one lucky man.

I’m still grinning like a fool when I unexpectedly bump into Wolf. He, too, seems surprised that he stops in his tracks.

“Big boss, you’re here. I thought you went home?” he asks.

“Oh, I just got back. Anyway, where are you going?” I ask.

“Ah, I’m going to do my rounds in Ms. Hye Kyo’s room, Snoopy had to answer an emergency call that’s why I’m doing his job for tonight,” he says.

“You don’t have to. I already did it,” I tell him, trying to look calm. “You can rest now. We have to be early tomorrow.”

“You did?” he asks, confused. “Okay then,” he says as he starts to turn around. “She must be in a good mood then since you don’t look so flustered.”

“W-what?” Does he know?

“Miss Hye Kyo. Wah, their dinner must have gotten her in a jolly mood,” he says and I find myself getting curious.

“So, what happened at dinner?” I try to sound nonchalant.

“Nothing special except they were joined by another pretty girl. Based on what I observed, she must be Director Lee’s girlfriend. And Miss Hye Kyo isn’t even affected,” he shakes his head. “Wah, I really thought she and Director Lee would end up together. I guess I was wrong.” You are wrong, my friend. So wrong.

 “Anyway, you look happy. Something good happened?” he asks and I find it hard to control myself. I really want to shout to the world that the most beautiful girl in Korea is mine now, but then we promised that it should only be a secret for now, well unless we’re caught. So, instead, I only nod.

“Yes,” I tell him, smiling.

“So… care to share?” he asks and I only grin at him as I reach the door or my assigned room.

“Maybe, next time, man,” I say, entering my room and leaving him looking at me confused.

---

*SHK’s POV*

I pat my skin dry as I emerge from a long hot shower to calm my nerves. However, I don’t deem it as effective as I’m still brooding over the events of today. It’s officially our first day as a couple and I woke up feeling excited.

I thought it was going to be a good day since he was one of the first faces I saw in the morning. As soon as I saw him today standing in one corner of the dining room as usual, my day instantly brightened when he gave me a shy smile. I gave him a small yet knowing one in return.

I was still silently beaming because of our morning encounter when I glanced at the dining table and was surprised to see Jong Suk sitting there, joining my parents.

“Jong Suk, what are you doing here?” I asked him, surprised and he immediately stood up from his seat.

“Hye Kyo, well, good morning to you, too,” he flashed me a smile before he gave me a hug, the usual way my friends and I greet one another.

“Oh, sorry. Good morning,” I told him. “What brings you here? And where’s Joon Gi?” I asked as I kissed my parents good morning.

“Oh, he has an early morning appointment and I came here to deliver the papers needed for the orphanage,” he said while pulling a chair for me.

“You didn’t need to do that. And besides, I was going to visit you in your office, anyway.”

“Well, you don’t have to now. I know how busy you are these days,” he said. “And I also came to bring you good news.”

“Good news? What do you mean?” I asked him intrigued and I waited for him to swallow his food before answering.

“Well, my mother was talking to her friends about your fundraising project and recent charity events and surprisingly, two of them are interested to make donations,” he said proudly.

“Really?” I asked him, pleased with what I heard. He nodded.

“Uh-huh. One of those two were even impressed upon hearing that you were heading the fundraising at your age and asked for your number. I guess she wants to talk to you directly. I hope you don’t mind.”

“No, not at all. Wow, that really is good news. It will greatly help the orphanage,” I told him while my father nodded in approval.

“Thank you so much for helping Hye Kyo with this project, dear. And please tell your mother my thanks, too. This means a lot,” my mother said, thankful. “I’m so happy my daughter has friends like you.”

“No problem, Madame. I’m lucky to have Hye Kyo as my friend, too. I get to brag about it to my other friends. Imagine being friends with the President’s daughter? Her being beautiful is a plus, too,” he said jokingly while my parents laughed. “Just kidding.”

“Whatever. I guess I owe you then?” I told him, then took a sip of my orange juice. “Shall I treat you for dinner? Drinks?”

“Nah. I didn’t do much anyway,” he said before putting down his fork, a mischievous look on his face. “On second thought, I did use my charms on my mother. So maybe a drink will do? I’m excited to try that new place in town,” he said and I laughed.

“Aigoo, you wouldn’t be Jong Suk without a drink. Fine! I’ll take you guys there. I’m game when my schedule’s free,” I said and we all enjoyed a good laugh while enjoying our breakfast.

 

About an hour later, Jong Suk left as we finished eating. I kissed my parents goodbye and we headed in separate directions, all packed with a busy schedule. I didn’t mind that much anymore, though. That’s pretty much what happens every day that I’m almost used to it. And besides, I had another thing to look forward to. Well, at least that was what I thought.

Joong Ki told me last night that he wouldn’t return to ignoring me, but that was almost what happened today. He might’ve not ignored me fully, and he assisted me whenever I needed help, but that’s just that. After opening doors for me, or giving me a hand, he would then keep a safe distance from me. He would behave like a rock whenever I was near and even pretended to excuse himself to go to the bathroom once. I thought we already talked about this? What’s happening?

 

I’m still nursing a bad mood when someone knocks on the door and he enters, with a smile on his face. I ignore him, pretending to read the book.

“Hey,” he says but I only stare at him. His smile fades. “What’s the matter?” Wah, does he really have no idea what upset me? Annoyed, I close my book and walk towards my closet. I hear him following after me.

“Did I do something wrong?” he asks cautiously and this time, I stop then turn to him, an annoyed expression plastered on my face.

“Do you really not know what’s wrong? Or are you just pretending to not know anything?” I ask him, but then he gives me a clueless look. Irritated, I turn around and decide to walk away from him but he catches my hand.

“Hye Kyo…” he pleads. I stop. “Please.. I really don’t know. Did I upset you or…”

“Yes, Joong Ki. You did,” I tell him, turning around to face him. “In fact, I am still so upset right now that I don’t want to talk to you,” I add. “You told me you wouldn’t ignore me, Joong Ki. But that’s just what you did all day long. I thought we we’re okay now? Are you going back to being hot and cold once again? Are you going to continue confusing me again? You know what? Forget it, I don’t want to talk about it,” I say, struggling to get out of his grasp but he holds my hand firmer.

I look down to where his hand is holding mine and look up as he raises another hand to hold my free one. “I’m sorry,” he says, his voice apologetic as he looks down. “I’m sorry if I upset you today,” he adds and I decide to listen.

“It’s just that I’m new to this dating thing and I still don’t know what to do. Wah, that is a bit embarrassing for a man to admit,” he laughs while playing with my fingers. “This morning, when I woke up, I felt so excited to see you. It still feels surreal that you accepted me.

“I especially liked it when you entered the room and smiled at me. It was still early in the morning, but I already felt like my day was complete. But then I saw you with Mr. Jong Suk…” he cautiously looks at me and I give him a look which says ‘go on, I’m listening.’

“He hugged you and I felt surprised to feel the surge of jealousy enveloping me. I didn't expect to feel that and I hate myself for feeling jealous when I knew I shouldn’t be. I even almost snapped back at Harry Potter for cracking a joke. And then after breakfast, you smiled at me and I felt so happy again. It was almost hard to stop myself going to you.

“It was like I was experiencing extreme highs and lows in just minutes. It scared me. Everything still feels so fresh and unfamiliar, but it was then that I realized that I might’ve been letting myself get carried away by my emotions too much. It worried me that if I continue doing so, my emotions might give me away and I might cause you trouble. I don’t want that to happen. I had to gain control. So, I decided to keep a safe distance from you, thinking that it might help me regulate my feelings and reactions for a bit if I stay away, but what I didn’t realize was that I was already upsetting you,” he says and I start to soften.

“I’m sorry. It’s only our first day of being together and yet I’ve already proven myself being a lousy boyfriend. Last night, after I left your room, I kept thinking about ways to make you happy, but then I succeeded in making you sad at the start,” he laughs, both embarrassed and sad. I slowly pull my hands away from his and he lets me, still looking down.

Wanting to soothe him, I then raise my hands and cup both his cheeks to raise his face, my gaze meeting his.

“Hey, don’t think like that,” I tell him. “You don’t as a boyfriend.. well, only in making assumptions,” I let an easy laugh. “But you don’t. Really…

“I’m sorry I misunderstood you, I didn’t know you were going through that. I’m partly at fault here anyway. I guess I made too much expectations, which when I think about it now, seem ridiculous. I kept expecting all these cheesy gestures, holding your hand, getting your full attention, being next to you always, maybe sneaking a kiss or two and whatever when it was me who asked for us to keep this a secret in the first place…

“I’m sorry,” I tell him and his face softens. “Wah, it’s only our first day and we’re already apologizing to one another,” I laugh, letting go of his face.

“Then why don’t we stop apologizing and start making up?” he says and I’m about to ask him what he means by that when he moves closer and gives me a hug, his chin resting on my shoulder while he wounds his arms around me. It takes me a moment to realize what’s happening. “I’ve been wanting to do this all day,” he says as he buries his head on my shoulder. “I was so jealous when you hugged your friend earlier,” he adds, causing me to smile.

“You do know that Jong Suk’s only my friend right? We’re like siblings already, there’s nothing to be jealous of,” I say, as I start to wrap my hands around his waist. “And besides, that wasn’t really a hug. This is,” I add as I tighten my embrace and so does he.

A few seconds later, I pull my head slightly away to gaze at him. “Are you still jealous?” I ask and when he doesn’t answer and only frowns in response, I laugh. “I never thought you’d be the jealous type, Agent Song,” I and he scowls even more. “You’re still cute anyway,” I say, laughing the burying my face against his chest.

“I guess we started out wrong. Can we start again? The right way this time?” he asks, and I pull away from his chest to consider.

“Hmm. Okay. No more assumptions and no more expectations? Just letting things flow freely, maybe?” I ask while he holds me by the waist.

“I can live with that,” he says as he again pulls me in for another tight hug while I let him.

Today wasn’t so bad after all.

--- 

*SHK’s POV*

“Yeoboseyo?” I say as I answer my phone.

“Ya! Hye Kyo!” I hear Min Young’s voice on the other line. “Where are you? You haven’t shown your face to us in days!”

“Aish. So clingy, my best friend. I’ve just been very busy lately,” I say and give the handsome driver beside me a glance and a smile. He returns it with a charming one. It’s been a few days since we became a couple and I’ve been really happy since then. My mom even asked me if there was something brewing between Dong Wook and me over breakfast, causing Joong Ki to tense as he stood in one corner of the dining room. I immediately told her that we were only friends and that I’m simply just happy these days.

Ever since we talked and sorted things out that night, things started to go well. It wasn’t immediate, but slowly, Joong Ki started opening himself to me. I also started to let go of my expectations and just let things be.

I still remember that time when I rode the car going to the office and was surprised when he sat next to me instead of the passenger seat. Surprised, I shot him a flabbergasted look but he only pointed towards the passenger seat where Wolf was getting in.

“I hope you don’t mind me joining you today, Miss. Harry Potter and Piccolo have a cold and I’m afraid I might catch it. I’m kind of weak when it comes to that,” Wolf said embarrassed and I waved him off.

“Oh, that’s okay. No problem with me,” I told him. “Wait, did you just say that they’re sick?” I asked and he nods. “Then why don’t they take the day off?”

And it was Joong Ki who answered right next to me. “They refused to, Miss. They said they’d rather work than get bored staying in,” he said, almost wanting to smirk but he stopped himself.

“Oh. Well, okay then. Shall we go?” I asked, feeling a bit conscious that he was just sitting a few inches from me.

“Okay, Miss. Snoopy, to the office,” he said and Agent Choi started the car. I stared outside the window, about to relax when the folder which had been sitting on my lap fell. I was about to reach for it when Joong Ki got it for me instead. After handing me the folder, which caused our hands to brush against each other lightly, causing me to shiver internally at the contact, I immediately it placed on my lap, horizontally then, thinking that by doing so, it won’t fall again.

He also resumed sitting straight, but somehow, it felt as though he had gotten closer. I was still about to wonder whether I was just assuming things when I felt something warm brush against the pinky of my left hand which was hidden under the folder, causing me jump, then also causing Snoopy to glance at me through the rearview mirror.

“Snoopy, take the service road then turn right at the corner. I think we can save more time taking that short cut than taking the main road,” Joong Ki beside me, commanded, causing Snoopy to turn his attention back to the road.

I was about to sigh in relief when I again felt something against my pinky and before I could even withdraw my hand, he carefully intertwined his finger with mine, catching me by surprise as I felt waves of electricity passing through my left arm.

I turned to him, giving him a “what are you doing look” but he only gave me a sidelong glance then pointed inconspicuously towards the front with his chin, seeming to say that ‘trust me, I know what I’m doing.’

Giving up, I just leaned back against my chair and looked out the window while trying to calm my heart which was fluttering the whole time he was holding my hand all the way to the office.

 

“Really now. Is that really it? Or there’s something I need to know,” she says over the phone and I roll my eyes. Typical Min Young, she won’t stop until she gets the answer that she wants, but I’m not letting her win this time.

“Really, look, can I call you later? We’re on our way to meet Dong Wook,” I tell her as I cast another sidelong glance at my boyfriend. I can’t help it, he’s cute when he’s concentrating driving like that. It’s just him and me now as we head towards the restaurant Dong Wook suggested to meet him and Da Hae.

I specifically asked my father to only let one bodyguard with me tonight as it would be too conspicuous if half a dozen of them would go trailing after me when I’m having a ‘dinner meeting’ with a friend. Well, not that I wasn’t telling him the truth. It is indeed both embarrassing and attention-catching when you enter a restaurant with a whole entourage.

Of course, with much convincing, my father agreed and since he thinks highly of him, my father assigned Joong Ki to accompany me, which was just what I planned. And regarding security issues, Dong Wook has his own set of bodyguards anyway to help us if ever something unexpected arises.

About a few minutes since we took off from home, I asked him to stop the car and though confused, he still obeyed. He was about to ask me why when I quickly got out of the backseat then opened the door towards the passenger seat, settling myself before smiling at him and saying ‘let’s go,’ causing him to stare back at me, dumbfounded.

“Joong Ki? What are you still doing? Let’s go! We’re going to be late,” I tell him with a mock stern expression and seeming to gather his wits, he finally the started the engine again and drove off.

He was about to open his mouth to talk when my phone rang, interrupting us. I got it out of my bag, checking the caller ID first, smiling as I saw that it was my best friend calling, while he kept throwing glances at me.

“Relax,” I told him, reaching out to touch his arm first before answering the call and thankfully, he followed.

 

“We? Who’s the ‘we’ you’re talking about?” my best friend pries. Oh, I guess she caught that. “Hye Kyo, who’s the ‘we’?” I roll my eyes once again. She really doesn’t give up.

“Joong Ki and me,” I tell her, realizing my slip.

“Oh. Wait.. you’re on a first name basis again?” And I can literally sense her smirking at the other line. “Dear best friend, is there something you’re hiding from me? Something I think I already know?” I groan.

“Min Young…” I warn her.

“You know you can’t lie to me. I’m your best friend since we were even too young to talk. And remember that time when we promised that we’d never ever lie to one another, pinky swear?” she says. Here she is on the guilt trip once again. “And I know you more than you know yourself. Lying would be pointless.” I groan mentally. Fine!

“Okay, okay!”

“So, you’re going to tell me about it? What is it?” she asks excitedly.

“Not now. I’ll tell you when we meet. Okay?”

“Why not?”

“Just because!”

“Fine! So, when is that? Tonight

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter