Of Jealousy Cards and Rivals

The Agent and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

*SHK’s POV*

I watch as I swirl my glass of red wine, fascinated by the movement while waiting for the time to pass. It’s only been an hour since my Uncle’s party started and I’m already bored. Aside from keeping up an appearance and try to greet everyone who wanted to meet me along with my parents, I don’t have anything else to do. My friends aren’t here while my cousins Tae Hyun and Kang Joon are busy entertaining their guests, so I really don’t have anybody else to talk to, well except for the guys who would occasionally approach me or stare at me from a distance.

Not that I’m interested, the only guy I’m interested in here is ignoring me and is standing somewhere together with the dozens of security personnel scattered around the venue. The first family’s here, after all, so security is tight. I crane my neck to look around the room to search for him. After a few minutes, my eyes finally find him and the moment he sees me looking at him, he immediately averts his gaze, wanting to seem busy monitoring the area or talking to his subordinates.

Ever since I cornered him in my room and confess, he had been evading me. If he was avoiding me before, well, now, he behaves as if I don’t exist. I don’t even think he has uttered a complete to me since then. Only one worded answers whenever I ask him and he didn’t have a choice to answer back. Or if the security team wanted to convey something to me, he would send over Wolf or Snoopy. Does he really hate me that much?

I remember two nights ago, when Wolf was out on his day off while Snoopy was (I think busy) with something, it was him who made the nightly rounds in my room. He asked permission first, then proceeded to quietly surveying the place while completely ignoring me.

(Note: You can listen to Hope and Hope by Kim Nayoung for extra feels while reading this part)

I kept following him, but he only acted as if I wasn’t there, until..

“Are you going to continue doing that?” I asked behind his back.

“What?”

“You’ve been ignoring me again,” I said but he didn’t respond. “It’s not like you’re the one who got rejected. Why are you acting that way?”

Silence.

“Do you want me to confess again?” I asked and he tensed a bit, but was still silent.

“If you’re worried because I’m your boss, you don’t have to worry anymore,” I said. I was literally being gutsy in that moment. “I don’t care about status. I….”

“Miss, we shouldn’t be discussing this,” he finally said, turning to look at me and I was taken aback. “You should stop it.”

“Stop what? My feelings?” I asked. “Are you even aware of how absurd what you just said sounds? You’re asking me to stop the unstoppable. It’s not like I asked for this, it’s not like I wanted for this to happen.”

“Exactly,” he said. What? “You shouldn’t want this to happen. This isn’t right, Miss.”

“What’s not right? I don’t see anything wrong here,” I said, insulted, but I was only met with silence. Suddenly, I felt hurt. Hurt because he thought of this as wrong. “Okay, I get it,” I said and he raised his head to look at me, confused.

“I remember what you said. You’re not interested in temporary things. You won’t waste your time unless you’re sure you’re really in love. But Joong Ki, I’m serious. My feelings for you are real,” I tried to tell him.

“You may not say it, but I know you also feel something. It may not be as strong as what I feel, but I’m sure there’s something in there,” I said, pausing to observe him, but his expression didn’t give anything away. “Stop being so uptight and just let go. Stop holding back.”

He turned around, his back facing me. “Give it a try, Joong Ki. Give me a chance to prove to you that this is worth trying, that I really care about you. Please.”

Silence.

I keep reaching out for him, but he just wouldn’t let me near. Now that I’ve admitted my feelings both to him and myself, it just keeps going stronger every day and I don’t know how that is possible. And I know it makes me look desperate, but even I don’t know why I’m pushing myself towards the person who can’t reciprocate my feelings, why I keep chasing after someone who’s trying so hard to push me away.

“Can’t I be that girl, Joong Ki?” I asked, my eyes filling with tears then. “Can’t I be the exception?” I asked, wanting really hard to be that person for him. The person he wants to spend forever with. The person he opens his heart to.

But he wouldn’t let me. He doesn’t want me to be that person.

Suddenly, I found myself getting jealous over that person, the person who I can never be.

And it hurt, it surprised me of how much it hurt me. I can never be her. He can never be mine.

“Joong Ki,” I held his hand. I was already crying, then, begging for him to let me in. “Please.”

Slowly he moved, his hand carefully removing my grip on his and he craned his neck a little, showing me a bit of his face.

“I’m sorry, Miss,” he said and without glancing back, he left.

---

---

 

“Bored, too?” a manly voice says from beside me. I look up to find a tall guy with platinum blonde hair and a glass of wine in hand standing just right next to me. Usually, I’d just smile and walk away but then he gives off a comfortable vibe that I don’t.

“Very,” I mutter honestly and he chuckles.

“Ah. Events like this can be really dull sometimes, I don’t know why others like going to snobby parties like this. They’re unexciting. People only like to show off how fancy their clothes are or brag about their properties,” he simply says while taking a sip of wine.

“Well, maybe because they want to build connections. Or maybe they’re obliged to because it’s their Uncle’s birthday,” I say and he almost chokes on his drink.

“It’s YOUR uncle’s party?” he says, looking worried. “Oh my, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to…” he starts apologizing while I laugh softly.

“Yes, I’m the niece. But that’s okay, I kind of find it boring, too,” I tell him and he breathes a sigh of relief, which makes me smile.

“Well, if that’s the case, then can I join you in being bored here, too? I heard it’d be less lonely if two bored people stick together at a party,” he says and I shake my head, smiling.

“Well, if you’re okay with being stuck with someone who likes to figure out what fancy brand those snobby people are wearing and tries to point out which ones are likely to brag their wealth the most, then you can,” I say, matter-of-factly and he laughs a little.

“Fine by me,” he says. “Let’s get bored together,” he offers then looks down to smile at me and I return his smile. I don’t want to admit this, but he is kind of attractive. However, the guy who seems like shooting daggers at me with his stare (or so I’d like to think) from across the room, I find cuter.

“Anyway, may I know the name of the person who I’m lucky to be bored with during the entirety of this party?” he asks and I turn my attention to him.

“Oh, sorry. I’m Hye Kyo,” I say, extending a hand. “Song Hye Kyo,” I add and his eyes widen. Oh, don’t let him be one of those guys who instantly become interested because I’m the daughter of the President.

“You’re Hye Kyo?” he asks and I nod. “Oh my. I’m sorry, I might have scared you a little with my reaction. I was just surprised,” he apologizes. “I’m Dong Wook. Lee Dong Wook,” he says, shaking my hand and the name rings familiar.

I squint my eyes, trying to figure out where I heard it from while shaking his hand when I remember.

“You’re the son of Mr. Lee? The owner of FlyKorea Airlines?” I ask, my eyes widening. Now it’s my turn to be surprised. He laughs.

“The one and only. Nice to meet you, future partner,” he says and we both laugh. What a coincidence.

--- 

*SJK’s POV*

I watch from a distance as she laughs with a guy I don’t know.

“Aigoo, look at her laughing and smiling at that,” Snoopy says, staring at her from across the room as we stand guard. “She actually looks as if she’s enjoying. Wah, I’m so hurt,” he adds and I clench my fist. Me too, I want to tell him.

“If you are, then why don’t you approach them and pry her away from him? You can just say that he looks suspicious," Piccolo says beside him.

“Aish. What are you saying? I may find the first daughter beautiful, but I love my job, man. And besides I’m no match for him. I heard he’s the heir of FlyKorea Airlines,” he says, looking dejected.

“What? That’s him?” Piccolo asks, astonished then turns his head towards where the first lady and the said man are, approaching the table of sweets near us. “Wah. I can’t believe it. But, she’s bound to meet someone like him, anyway. It’s not like we have a chance with her,” he adds and I feel my heart clench painfully. He’s right. She’s not for people like us.

“Look at him, he looks so cool in that blonde hair,” Piccolo says while Snoopy snorts.

“I don’t think so, I actually think it makes him look gay,” he answers. “And that skin color. Which straight male could be that fair? Real men are always exposed to the sun,” he adds while Piccolo scowls.

“I don’t think he is. If he is, then why is he flirting with Miss Hye Kyo?” he asks and I find myself clenching my fist while I watch them clinking glasses of wine.

“Maybe he’s just befriending her. Anyone would want to be friends with the first daughter, straight or not,” Snoopy tells him matter-of-factly.

“I don’t think so. Right, big boss?” Piccolo asks and they both turn to me, waiting for my answer. I clear my throat first.

“I think Snoopy has a point,” I simply tell them, trying to sound like I don’t really care and Snoopy laughs while Piccolo frowns.

“Go on, laugh at me,” Piccolo says, annoyed. “If you think you’re right, then why is he now making moves on her?” he states and we all turn to see that indeed, he has his arm around her shoulders now. And she is letting him do so. I tense. Just a few nights ago, there she was confessing her feelings to me and now she’s laughing with some guy?

“Aish, what are you guys doing standing here and whispering amongst yourselves?” Wolf approaches us and scolds them.

“We’re not doing anything wrong. We’re just keeping an eye on the first daughter as what we ought to do,” Snoopy says, defending themselves. “Right, big boss?” he asks and I just ignore them, my attention still on the first daughter and that blonde guy.

“Really now? Don’t you mean you’re observing the first daughter and her date?” Wolf says and Snoopy closes his mouth, caught red handed. “Alright, back to work. Snoopy, position yourself near the powder room. And you, Piccolo, go join Harry Potter near the cocktail table,” he orders and they oblige despite grumbling.

“Looks like the young miss has finally found her match,” I hear Wolf say beside me a minute later and I take a deep breath. Before I could even respond, we hear Madam Song, who is stationed a table from us with a few others wearing suits and expensive gowns, call the attention of Miss Hye Kyo and the latter, together with that blonde man look at each other first then make their way towards her.

“Hye Kyo, dear. I’ve been looking for you. Where have you been?” we hear her ask, touching Miss Hye Kyo’s arm.

“I’m sorry, mother. I just went to grab some drinks,” she apologizes with a smile and exchanges a knowing look with Blondie. I feel an unexplainable pang of jealousy course through me. “Anyway, what is it?”

“Oh. I was just looking for you since I wanted to introduce you to Mr. Lee and his son, Dong Wook, but I see, you’ve already found a way to get to know one another,” Madam Song says, her gaze passing from Hye Kyo first then to the so-called Mr. Lee Dong Wook. They all laugh.

“Madam Song, it’s an honor to meet you again,” he bows to her. “I just bumped into this beautiful lady earlier while also grabbing drinks for myself. I guess it was fate bringing us to one another,” he says while Miss Hye Kyo rolls her eyes good naturedly.

They’re still exchanging a few laughs when the President approaches them together with another middle aged man in an expensive suit.

“What’s the going on? What’s the fun all about?” he asks.

“Oh, darling. Good that you’re here. And Mr. Lee. I was just having a good time talking to our kids here,” she says, clinging to the President’s arm.

“I see you’ve met,” the so-called Mr. Lee says. “Hello, Hye Kyo. I’m Mr. Lee, the one responsible for the good genes of that young man standing next to you,” he jokes, extending a hand and Miss Hye Kyo laughs then takes it.

“I see, and his humor, too,” she gives Mr. Blondie a sidelong glance while the latter laughs before shaking the hand of the older Mr. Lee. I don’t like that glance, it feels like they’re sharing some kind of secret that only the two of them know. And what’s that about humor? Does he know him that much now? “Hello, Mr. Lee. Nice to finally meet you.”

“Are you sure? Just minutes ago you were trying to find ways to escape meeting him,” Dong Wook teases and she smacks him on the arm.

“Ya! I didn’t say that,” she says then cautiously looks at Mr. Lee. “Don’t believe him, Mr. Lee. He’s just making things up,” she says while the latter laughs.

“I know. He’s always like that,” he says, causing his son to scowl while Hye Kyo lets on a triumphant laugh.

“Aigoo, look at them being so close already,” Madam Song gushes while President Song beams at them. “and they also look good together,” she says, smiling.

“Eomma,” Miss Hye Kyo complains.

“Aigoo, stop pressuring the kids, yeobo. They’re still too young,” the President says and I find myself agreeing. “Anyway, they’ll be spending a lot of time since they’ll be working on the project together. I already know that it’ll be a success,” he adds. Wait what? A Project? Together? “Right, princess?” he asks and she beams at him.

“I’m already excited to work with the country’s most sought after bachelorette,” Blondie says, grinning and I want to wipe that grin away with my knuckles, if only I wasn’t on duty. She rolls her eyes at her good naturedly.

“We won’t fail you on this, parents,” she says and they all laugh heartily while I silently brood a few feet away from them. I know we can’t ever be together, but does life have to slap that to my face?

--- 

*SHK’s POV*

“So, this is your playground, huh?” I say and Dong Wook grins beside me. We have just finished with the meeting and he’s showing me his favorite part of their place – the hangar where they keep their family’s little and gliding planes. He told me before that he’s really fond of planes thus he enjoys his work. He even knows how to drive some and likes to go paragliding sometimes (he offered to take me with him, but I refused since I don’t think I’m courageous enough to do that).

To be honest, I was quite surprised at how easily we became close. Despite his family being really wealthy, he isn’t one of those arrogant, entitled males who seem to think that they’re above others because they’re privileged. Instead, he’s considerate, humble and even fun to talk to. So, getting along with him was no problem. We became friends instantly (though both of our families are pushing us to be more than that).

As

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter