Borrowed time

The Agent and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*SHK’s POV*

“Are you sure about this?” he asks for the umpteenth time since I told him I wanted to fulfill another task from my bucket list – to get drunk.

“Yes,” I nod my head then look at him. “I told you, I’m determined to check as many tasks that I can check while we’re here,” I add, starting to feel cold as the day turns into night. I don’t think I’ll have another chance like this to do the things that I want to do, well, not anytime soon anyway, so I better make the most out of this.

“We didn’t even have dinner yet, you haven’t eaten…”

“I’m still full from all the street food that we had. Don’t tell me you’re still hungry?” We bought so much. I want to remind him. It was a feast.

“I’m not, but….”

“Joong Ki…” I warn him. What? Does he think I can’t handle it? Well, just because I’m a woman, doesn’t mean that I’m weak.

“It’s just that, I’m worried you’ll get sick. You’re not really used to drinking,” he hesitates then grabs me by the elbow. “Come on, let’s just go home.” He starts walking, but I hold myself firm from where I’m standing.

“If you don’t want to come with me, then fine, I’ll just go by myself. I can manage, anyway. You can go home,” I say, struggling away from his grasp. He stops then turns to me. “I’m not being stubborn here, I just don’t think I’ll have another chance to do this anytime soon. Once we go back, I know that my life will be restricted again, if not, more confined. I just want to enjoy everything now that we’re away,” I add, shivering a bit from the cool night breeze and his face softens.

“You’ve done a lot for me anyway and I don’t want to trouble you more. But I want to do this. I really do. So, you can go ahead. I’ll just follow once I’m done with my business. I think I know the way home anyway,” I say, giving him a reassuring smile while he looks at me, worried. When he’s still quiet, I take that as a signal to take my leave.

“Alright then, I’ll get going. Stop worrying, okay? I’ll see you at home,” I tell him, taking a few steps before I’m stopped by the hand holding unto my forearm. I glance at it briefly, then look up at his face, surprised.

“You’re not going anywhere without me,” he simply says as I stare at him, dumbfounded, while he sheds off his jacket. “Here, wear this,” he drapes the jacket on my shoulders and I gaze up at him, surprised as he does so. “You’re cold.”

“You’re coming with me?” I ask and he nods.

“I’m not letting you out of my sight,” he answers. “I was tasked to protect you,” he adds and I snort, causing him to look at me. I know why he’s here in the first place, but doesn’t he have another excuse?

“What?” he asks, confused.

“Nothing,” I brush him off. “But really, now? You’re coming with me?” I prod and he rolls his eyes.

“I told you, you’re not going anywhere without me,” he answers. “On one condition.”

--- 

---

Several minutes later, we find ourselves seated at the same table at the same restaurant owned by Kwang Soo. That’s his condition – that I do it somewhere familiar to him so that he can still be in control of the surroundings. “Just to be sure. That we’re safe, and if not, that I’d be able to easily take you away,” I heard him saying while we’re on our way here.

“Wow, this tattoo looks so real,” I say, admiring the design I chose, – a beautiful flower with simple yet delicate swirls around it, while we wait for our order to arrive. I had it tattooed on my forearm, small so as not to seem too noticeable. I don’t want a big tattoo anyway, I just wanted to try it – to see how the ink with beautiful designs contrasted against my skin.

“Yes, it does. Somehow, it’s deceiving,” he says, admiring his own while I frown.

He, on the other hand, chose a sun tattoo, which I do not really get since it was totally unexpected. I expected him to choose the dragon design or even one of those tribal ones since those are what guys usually prefer, but no, he chose the sun. I tried asking him, but he just wouldn’t tell me why. So, after a few attempts I finally stopped prying. So much for being mysterious, Joong Ki.

“What do you mean it’s deceiving?” I ask him, frowning.

“Well, it’s not real,” he answers and I give him a face.

“Can’t you just admire it and not think whether it’s authentic or not? Can’t you just not think about other things other than how nice it looks? Aigoo.”

“What? Am I not right? It gives the illusion that it’s real when it’s not,” he says, looking at me as if waiting for me to agree. “People who get this may enjoy it like a real tattoo. They can enjoy its beauty, sure. Pretend that it’s real, sure. But as time passes, it will fade away. And when the end finally comes, it will completely disappear.”

“You’re no fun,” I scowl.

“I may not be ‘fun,’ but I am right,” he says, smiling and I roll my eyes.

“Whatever,” I answer, ready to ignore him, but Kwang Soo’s familiar voice booms from a distance, distracting me.

“Joong Ki! Meahri! You’re here,” he says, taking big strides towards us then takes a seat. “Aigoo, I keep seeing you guys here. What brings you here again? What’s up?” he asks and I am about to open my mouth to answer when our drink arrives. The waiter places three shot glasses in front us along with the bottle which he places in the middle of the table. I then watch as he places a bowl of sliced lemon, a plate of chicken skin and lastly, a small plate of what I think is salt.

“You’re drinking?” Kwang Soo asks, surprised and it’s Joong Ki who nods (since I’m not exactly sure what to say).

“Well, my wife, here, wants to try tequila. She hasn’t had one yet,” he answers, a slight emphasis on the word ‘wife.’ I find myself blushing, though I’m not quite sure whether it’s because he told him that I’m drinking or it’s because of the word ‘wife.’

“You haven’t tried one yet?” Kwang Soo asks me, looking as if he has just discovered a secret and shyly, I nod. “Aigoo! What wrong timing it is. Tasting tequila for the first time should be celebrated! I should stay here to party with you guys, why on earth did I agree to help my cousin with his project!” he says, actually looking disappointed and I laugh while Joong Ki shakes his head.

“Anything else, sir?” the waiter asks, and I’m surprised to find him still there.

“Just a glass of water,” he says, dismissing the waiter while I watch him.

“You’re not drinking?!” I ask him, confused and he shakes his head.

“I’m driving,” he simply answers. “And I have to keep you safe.”

“What! But who’s going to teach me now? I don’t exactly know how to do this!” I say, looking at all that’s placed in front of me, panicking.

“Aigoo! My friend. Always so responsible,” Kwang Soo sneers at him before turning to me. “Don’t worry, Meahri, I’ll teach you. And I’ll make sure you’re a pro in tequila drinking before I leave. You’ve got a tequila drinking expert right here,” he says proudly while Joong Ki rolls his eyes.

 

“So, what do we do now?” I ask Kwang Soo a few minutes later right after he pour a shot and places it in front of me.

“Okay, so, first, you need to the skin in between your thumb and index finger,” he says and I look at him, dumbfounded.

“What?!” I ask, stunned.

“Well, that’s to create some moisture for the salt to stick on it later on,” he answers calmly. “Do it like this,” he says as he his own hand and waits for me to follow. I do the same on my hand. Joong Ki, on the other hand, observes us quietly.

“Okay, good. Then shake some salt on the moisture, making sure it sticks,” he says, demonstrating it while I follow him.

“Next, hold the tequila and lemon next to you,” he says, pushing my drink to me while he grabs his. “But wait, don’t drink yet. Smell it first,” he says as he raises the glass in front of his face, smells it then smiles. I do the same, only to be surprised at the unpleasant scent. I crinkle my nose.

“Yuck! It smells horrible,” I say causing Kwang Soo to scowl.

“No, it’s not. It smells wonderful,” he says as he smells it again. “Ahh, so nice,” he adds while I still look disgusted.

“No, it’s not. It smells bad,” I say and he continues to scowl at me while Joong Ki chuckles.

“This is the best tequila in town, you know,” Kwang Soo says, but I remain unconvinced.

“I don’t know that, and I don’t really care,” I say and he’s about to say something more when Joong Ki stops him.

“She’s got a point, it does smell bad,” he says and this time, Kwang Soo frowns at him.

“Fine! You, couple, are ganging up on me,” he says sulkily while Joong Ki and I exchange uneasy glances, both blushing. I’m still not used to people calling us that. “Okay! Next step,” he says, breaking the awkward moment.

“Hold the tequila shot, first,” he says, making sure I follow. “ the salt and shoot the tequila. Make sure that you get the tequila in a gulp or two if you can. Then on the lime wedge after shooting the tequila. Like this,” he demonstrates while I observe carefully. He finishes in no time. “Okay, try it.”

A bit nervous, I look at Joong Ki first and he nods in support. Okay, here goes. I do as I’m told, shocked at how the drink burns down my throat as I swallow it, causing me to pause for a while before on the lemon.

“Ahh! It burns!” I complain while Joong Ki leans forward, looking at me worriedly. Kwang Soo just brushes off my comment.

“That’s why you should do it quickly. You need to on the lime immediately after you down the shot,” he says pouring us another round.

“Okay, let’s do it one more time. This time, do it quickly, okay?” he says as we do another round. This time, I do as I’m told, thus, it doesn’t end up as bad as the first.

“See? Better, right?” he asks and I can only nod my head, still feeling the burn inside my body. I feel my face getting hot now.

“Another round, then,” he says, pouring tequila on our empty glasses, but Joong Ki stops him.

“Okay, that’s enough,” he says and Kwang Soo gives him a face.

“What? She’s only had two shots. Don’t be such a killjoy man,” Kwang Soo protests. What? Does he think I can’t handle it?

“Kwang Soo’s right, Joong Ki. I only had two, I can handle a shot more,” I say but he looks at me as if pleading me to just agree with him before turning back to Kwang Soo.

“She’s not used to drinking. Two shots are more than enough,” he says firmly. “And besides, didn’t you say you have to leave?”

“Oh! Right! I almost forgot about that,” Kwang Soo says, checking his watch, his eyes widening. “Omo! I’m late!” he says, standing up. “Aish! I just hate leaving when the party’s getting started. Sorry, I have to end this early Meahri, aish if not for that nephew of mine I would have taught you more about drinks.”


“Oh, no. Don’t worry about it. Just go attend your business, we’ll be fine here,” I say, not wanting him to feel bad. He taught me all I need to know about tequila, after all. “Joong Ki’s with me anyway.”

“Are you sure? Aish. What bad timing. Anyway, to make up for it, this drink’s on me,” he gestures towards the bottle of tequila which is still about 80% full then gets ready to leave.

“Order anything you want, don’t worry about the bill. I really feel bad for leaving but I have to go now. Bye guys, enjoy!” he says, taking a few steps before turning back again. “And don’t listen to him. Go shoot some more. Life is short, you know,” he tells me and I smile before shaking my head. “Take care of her, Joong Ki!” he says, lastly before disappearing from the door, leaving me and Joong Ki staring after him with an almost full bottle of tequila in between us.

“He sure is something,” I say the moment we’re alone and he turns his attention to me.

“Please excuse him. I know he can be a little too much sometimes,” he says.

“No, it’s alright. He’s cool,” I say, giving him a reassuring smile to which he responds with a small one.

“I know. He can be annoying sometimes, but he’s one of the few friends I’ve got back then,” he says and I find myself wondering.

“If you don’t mind me asking, how did you and him become friends? I mean, you’re not exactly, uh….” I struggle for words, scared that I might offend him, but he only smiles.

“Alike?” he says, laughing softly. “I know, we’re opposites but we do jibe well….” He answers and I think about how they’re so different from one another, yet they complement each other well. Kwang Soo’s loud, while Joong Ki’s the silent type. The former seems to want everything to be fun, while the latter is more like someone who takes things seriously.

“Well, it’s a long story. But let’s just say that he thought I stole the girl he had a crush on for years from him,” he says and my eyes widen in surprise.

“What? You did that?” I ask, but he’s quick to say no.

“No, I didn’t. He just thought I did. Well, the girl actually did have a crush on me, but I wasn’t interested. Kwang Soo was ready to beat me up, he was so mad. But I was also prepared to defend myself, I wasn’t going down without a fight especially when I knew I was innocent. But then, as we were arguing, we saw the girl hand in hand with another guy. It turns out, she’d been seeing another guy and Kwang Soo only thought it was me,” he chuckles softly.

“Wow, feels like a drama. So, who’s the lucky girl who was the cause of two men almost fighting?”

“Hyerin. Her name’s Hyerin. She used to frequent this restaurant which was then owned by Kwang Soo’s grandmother,” he says and I nod, not really knowing how to react to him remembering her name. If it was a long time ago, shouldn’t he have already forgotten it?

“What happened next? Did he beat the guy up?” I ask, curious and trying to change the subject.

“No, he realized that it wasn’t worth it. He calmed down and we decided to just grab a drink. We hung out frequently after that,” he says, shaking his head at the memory.

“What? Just that and you became friends?” I ask and he looks at me, pursing his lips before answering.

“Well, we managed to discover how well we got along. He also wanted to pursue a job at the military just like me, but then, in the last minute, he changed his mind. We separated paths after that, but still remained friends though it doesn’t seem like that to others considering how we always bicker,” he says, laughing softly and I find myself admiring the view. He looks so relaxed, so at peace, so happy in the moment. I don’t think I ever saw him like this.

“What?” he asks when he catches me staring and I have to blink a few times.

“I like seeing you like this,” I manage to say with a shy smile.

“Like what?” he asks, confused.

“This. It’s nice to see you smiling and laughing so freely,” I say and he blushes a little. “You’ve always been so serious and intimidating especially back in the Blue House. It was as if you hated me.”

“I do not hate you,” he instantly corrects.

“But it seemed like it,” I tell him while raising a brow in a challenging manner and he sighs.

“Sorry if it seems like that to you. But I promise I don’t hate you,” he says, looking sincere. “My job is just critical. I have to protect you and the President as well. I always have to be on guard, to be alert. I have to be mindful of my responsibilities. There’s no space for goofing off.”

“You’re wrong,” I say while he looks back at me, confused. “You still can have a little fun, you know, while doing your duties. Life doesn’t always have to be too serious….”

“…Just like Kwang Soo said, life is short. So you need to make the most of it while you can. You can always find ways to enjoy your job while fulfilling your duties.”

“Okay, how will I be able to do that, then?” he asks, looking interested.

“Hmm, I don’t know. It depends upon you, it’s your life, after all. It’s you who gets to decide which things can make you happy,” I say and he nods in understanding. “Though you can always start with loosening up quite a bit,” I add while confusion is evident in his face.

“You can be too uptight, sometimes. Loosen up! Relax! Especially now. You said we’re safe and hidden well here, it’s not like I’m just going to disappear,” I say and he finally sighs, this time, I’m sure he’s not opposing me. “This doesn’t have to be my escape only, it can be yours, too,” I add, and he smiles.

“Okay then, thanks for the advice,” he jokes and I laugh softly, but then stop as I still feel the burn from the tequila. He seems to notice this that he looks at me, worried.

“Are you okay?” he asks and I nod.

“Yeah, I guess I’m just a bit surprised of the effect of tequila,” I say, feeling slightly dizzy now.

“That’s what I’ve been talking about. You’re not used to drinking. Let me call the waiter, you need some water,” he says, looking around searching for the waiter who doesn’t seem to be in sight. I feel a bit faint now and he notices this that he stands up. “Wait for me here, I’ll get you some,” he tells me and again, I can only nod.

 

He’s at the counter and I’m still trying to nurse the burn that I feel in my throat when I see someone, a girl, approaching him with him unknowing it. I watch as the girl calls him and he slowly turns towards her, surprised to see her there. They converse for a while, with Joong Ki looking uncomfortable as he shifts from one foot to the other while the girl keeps tucking her hair on the back of her ear. I find myself clutching my fist.

They must be talking something about me that Joong Ki glances at me then the girl follows his gaze, looking disappointed as she sees me. The waiter gives Joong Ki a glass of water and he moves to my direction while the girl follows suit. They then stop in front of my table and Joong Ki hands me the drink.

“Here, drink this. I asked for something cold to help soothe your throat,” he says softly while I take the glass. I take one sip, feeling the cold running down my throat then place it on top of the table. I’m no longer thirsty.

“Better?” he asks, looking concerned and I nod.

“Yes, thanks,” I say and he’s about to say something when the girl clears behind him. We then turn our attention towards her.

“Uh, there’s someone who wants to meet you,” Joong Ki says and I give him a brief glance before turning towards the girl who has been staring at me. She takes a step forward and offers a hand.

“Hi, I’m Hyerin,” she says. I give Joong Ki a look beside me and he tenses. Hyerin? The girl he mentioned a while ago? “And you are?” she asks, looking at me from head to toe, challenging and I find myself regretting why I wasn’t able to pack at least one of my branded clothes at home. Nevertheless, I’m not someone who backs down from a fight. My Dad, taught me that.

I extend my hand, shaking hers. I may not be able to introduce myself as the first daughter, but I can surely show this girl that I’m not someone she should mess with.

“I’m Meahri,” I say, forcing myself to smile. “Joong Ki’s wife,” I add and her face falls. 1 point.

“Wife?” she asks Joong Ki, and he nods his head, not even hesitating to do so. Good, there’s no need to shoot daggers at him with my stare then.

“Since when were you married?” she asks, seeming to be in denial.

“Uh, just recently,” he answers, giving me a glance. I decide to continue my game.

“We’re just here to stop over and meet Granny and Min Suk before we go abroad for our honeymoon,” I say boldly, surprising her and Joong Ki. “Isn’t that right, honey?” I ask, and Joong Ki blushes.

Hyerin looks at him, waiting for a confirmation and this time, he nods. “That’s right. We’re just dropping by. I wanted to show my, uh, honey, the place I grew up in.”

“Oh, okay,” Hyerin responds sullenly and I couldn’t help but smirk.

“Anyway, do you want to join us? We’re having celebratory drinks,” I say, gesturing towards our table.

“Uh, I’d love to but.. uh.. I have to be elsewhere,” she says, her eyes red.

“Oh, okay. That’s too bad. I was actually looking forward to knowing more of Joong Ki’s ‘friends,’” I say calmly while Joong Ki flinches beside me.

“I’m sorry. But I really do have somewhere to go,” she says, looking restless as if she just couldn’t wait to get away.

“Maybe, next time then. If we ever meet again,” I say, giving her a smile to which she responds with an uneasy one.

“Next time,” she laughs uneasily. “I have to go. It was really nice seeing you both. Uh.. bye,” she says and scurries away. I, on the other hand, pour myself a drink and down it even without the salt and lemon before taking a seat.

--- 

*SJK’s POV*

I watch her as she downs another shot of tequila, taken aback.

“So, that’s the Hyerin you’ve been talking about,” she says and I look at her.

“Yes, that was her,” I answer her, wondering why on earth her mood changed. We were fine just a while ago.

“What a coincidence that she’s here. So, are you happy?” she asks, looking at me briefly before tracing the glass with her finger.

“What? What do you mean?”

“Are you happy that you met again?” she asks.

“No, why would I be?” I ask her, confused. Where is this going to?

“Well, the girl had a crush on you and it was obvious that she still has.”

“And so?”

“Don’t guys like that? Other guys usually like it when girls like them,” she accuses me.

“In case you forgot, I’m not like most guys. And I don’t,” I answer patiently. Unless it’s you who likes me. “Wait, why are you suddenly getting mad at me?” Are you jealous? I want to ask her, my heart beating fast, elated at the thought. “It’s not like I asked her to come here.”

“Well, didn’t you?” I think I hear her saying but I’m not sure.

“What did you say?” I ask, just to be sure.

“I didn’t say anything,” she says sharply.

“Wow, you really do seem mad,” I say then cross my fingers. “Are you… jealous?” I just have to ask.

“What??! No way,” she instantly refuses.

“Are you sure?” I try one more time.

“Yes. And why would I be?!” she says, her face a scowl and I laugh softly, but I hide it. No use trying to provoke her more. Why should you be when I got my eyes fixated on you?

“Well, you do seem so,” I try to , finding it cute that she’s sulking.

“I am not!!!” she exclaims with her voice raised and I hold out both hands in surrender.

“Okay! Okay!” I say, wanting to show her that I’m not arguing. “But if you were, well, you certainly put her in place with you telling her that we’re married. Especially when you said that we’re on a honeymoon,” I add then note that she’s blushing furiously. “I mean, ‘honey?’”

“I had to do that. We have to keep up a front, remember??!” she says defiantly and I couldn’t hide my smile any longer. “I just had to step in especially when you were looking so flustered like that. Wah, you never flinch when it comes to dodging bullets but you get disconcerted over a girl. She must special,” she scoffs while my smile fades.

“She is not,” I protest. You are. If you only knew why I was flustered. I was worried about what you might think.

“Whatever,” she dismisses, taking off my jacket then downs another shot, her face contorting. My urge to protest further dissipates as it’s replaced by worry.

“Ahhhh, so hot,” she says, fanning her face which is starting to get red.  “When did it get so hot hereeee?”

“Hey, that’s enough. You’re going to get sick,” I say worriedly, trying to get the shot glass from her, as she aims for another shot but she waves me off with her hands. The sight of her palms with little scratches catches my attention and I grab both of her hands.

“What happened? Why do you have scratches on your hands?” I ask worriedly as I examine them. Her smooth hands now have little scratches here and there. Why wasn’t I able to spot them before?

She snatches her hand from me and I stare at her. “Ohhh, they’re nothing. I just am not used to washing clothes manually,” she says then hides her hands, as if embarrassed. “I might just be allergic to the detergent.”

What? Oh, I forgot. She isn’t used to doing household chores. But she must’ve taken it in herself to wash her own clothes. I almost want to face palm myself for overlooking that.

“Just don’t mind it, okaaaaay? It’s normallll” she slurs then pours herself another drink before I could even stop her.

“Hye Kyo…” I warn her, but she’s looking down, her hand supporting her head. She’s starting to get drunk now.

“What? Don’t tell me you, too, are stopping me? I thought this is supposed to be an escape?” she looks up to face me then frowns. “Whoah. There’s two of you. Which one of you’s Joong Ki?” she asks and I decide that she’s had more than enough.

“Alright, that’s enough. Come on, I’m taking you home,” I say, standing up and taking the jacket to drape it on her shoulders. I grab her by the shoulders to help her stand up, but she struggles to get away.

“I don’t want. I don’t…wannnt…” she says with her eyes half closed.

“Hye Kyo, you’ve had enough tonight. We’re going home,” I say, trying again, but she still wouldn’t budge.

“Ya!!! Stop it. I don’t want tooo leave yeettt,” she says and I sigh. This isn’t going to be easy.

“Okay, then what do you want to do?”

“I wanntt to drrrrink…”

“You already had too much, you might get sick if you keep drinking more,” I patiently tell her. “Let’s go home, please?”

“I won’ttt!! I’m strrrrrong. See?!!!” she says as she stands up, but then wobbles and clutches the edge of the table. I reach out to steady her. “Why is everything spinninggg?” Aigoo, and there she said she can manage to go home on her own.

“It’s because you’re drunk…”

“I’m not drrrunk!!!” she protests.

“Okay, okay, you’re not. But you’re a little unsteady. We need to go home now, so you can rest,” I tell her.

“Fineee. But one more drinkkk..”

“No, no more,” I say. She doesn’t need one more.

“I want one last drinkkk! Then I’ll resttt,” she says, unrelenting and I finally give in. I guess I’ll just have to carry her to the car.

“Okay, one more, then we’ll go,” I say as I pour her one third of a shot then hand it to her. She downs it quickly, a bit of the drink spilling on her chin.

“Aigoo, you’re too drunk to even drink straight,” I say, gently wiping her chin. “Good thing you’re pretty.”

“I’m not dr….”

“Okay, fine, you’re not,” I say as I help her out of the table. She wobbles again and is about to fall when I catch her just in time, I then decide to just carry her bridal style. That way, I can take her home quickly without any worry of injuring her.

--- 

I drive carefully while keeping an eye on her. She’s sleeping now on the passenger seat, passed out drunk. Somehow, this scene feels familiar. It’s very much like that time I took her back to the Blue House after getting drunk at her friend’s party, only now she doesn’t hate me that much. Or at least, that’s what I think.

We finally arrive home, and I hurry to get her from the passenger seat so she could sleep peacefully. She must be uncomfortable in that position.

“Hye Kyo?” I whisper softly. “Hye Kyo, wake up,” I say but she only groans. Sensing that she’s not waking up soon, I wound her arms around my neck and place my arms, one under her waist while the other is under her knees to carry her. She snuggles closely to my chest as I walk and I couldn’t help but admire her while carrying her.

She looks so peaceful and so beautiful even when drunk. How is that even possible? It seems like the more I stare at her, the more attracted I get to her.

This doesn’t have to be my escape only, it can be yours, too. I remember her saying. And in that moment, I find myself agreeing, saying yes to her offer. She’s right, we’re far away from the city, far away from our normal lives which would usually prompt us to behave differently. We’re free to do as we wish that’s why her offer seems so enticing.

I decided to give in, to just let go and enjoy this temporary of bliss. To let loose my feelings and not think too much about how wrong it is. To enjoy her company as I much as I can without worrying whether I deserve her or not. To love her freely. To allow myself to be happy, even if it’s just temporary.

An escape from reality. Our moment of liberation from the things that usually control us. A few days to enjoy, to savor and make the most of even if it’s what one would call just a ‘borrowed time.’

I finally get her into the room then slowly place her on the bed, but the moment her back reaches the cushion, her eyes open slowly.

“Go to sleep, Hye Kyo. Get some rest,” I say, urging her to close her eyes, but of course, she doesn’t. Even when drunk, she’s still stubborn. She slowly gets up, clutching her head.

“But I haven’t taken a batthh yett,” she says.

“It’s okay, you don’t smell anyway,” I honestly say but she pouts.

“But still, it’s gross! I want to take a bath!!! I want to!!!”

“Okay! Okay! I’ll take you to the bathroom,” I offer. I still don’t trust her legs, she might fall. I carry her again and she doesn’t protest but the moment I open the door to the bathroom, she shakes her head.

“No! No!” she shouts. What now? “I don’t want ttthere!! I want the bathtub!” she says. What?

“You can use the bathtub tomorrow. For now, you can take a bath here,” I say but she smacks my chest hard. Ouch!

“I said, I want…. the bathtub you’ve been bragging about!” she says, flailing her legs, making it hard for me to carry her and I finally relent.

“Okay! Fine! I’ll take you there,” I say, sighing. Even my training in the military is no match for her.

I take her to the communal bathroom and put her down on the stool. I then tell her to stay still while I turn on the faucet to fill the tub with water, making sure that it’s warm. I take one of Granny’s bath bombs and drop it on the water, watching as it spreads. Satisfied that it’s fully dissolved, I turn to her to tell her that the water’s ready but get shocked as I see her starting to strip off her clothes, revealing her flawlessly fair complexion. I immediately grab a towel then cover her with it, trying really hard not to peek, then leads her towards the tub.

I then hold her hand, guiding her as she lowers herself down the water while I close my eyes. Remaining honorable can be such a challenge sometimes. I’m still trying to fight off the temptation when I hear the water splashing and she sighs.

“Ahh, this is nice,” she says and I finally allow myself to open my eyes. Luckily, the foam’s thick enough to cover her body, but still, my imagination couldn’t help but run wild. So, before I do something foolish, I excuse myself to get her a change of clothes and to prepare her toothbrush.

On my way out, I pick up the clothes she took off to deposit them in the hamper.

Several minutes after a lot of pacing later, I decide to get her to bed. The water must be cold now and staying there for too long would make her sick, which I don’t want to happen. Also, I couldn’t control my thoughts anymore that somewhere in this house, she’s resting….

“Bath time’s up, Hye Kyo,” I say in a strained voice as I enter the bathroom, but then I find her sleeping. I shake my head. There she was, telling me she wanted a bath and she would just fall asleep?

Still shaking my head, I approach her with a towel in hand, this time, a bigger one. I lean down close to her face. “Hye Kyo, wake up. You have to get out from the water, it’s getting cold,” I gently say and thankfully she opens her eyes, still looking sleepy. The sight makes me smile.

“Get up now. You have to get dressed so that you can sleep. Okay?” I say and she nods her head sleepily. She obeys and slowly gets up and I immediately stand in position, straining my head. I look away as she stands up while I open the towel wide for her to wrap her body in. The splashing stops and I wait for her to get the towel from me, but she doesn’t.

“Cover yourself with the towel, you’ll get cold,” I say, swallowing.

“Why are you looking away?” she asks and I fight the urge not to turn to her. “Do you find me unattractive?” she asks, surprising me with her question. I don’t answer.

“Don’t you want to look at me?” she continues, again, I don’t respond. “Wah, others would kill just to see me like thisss, but you… you won’t even look at me….”

“…Why? Is it because of that Hyerin girl?” she sneers. “She’s not even that pretty!” So she is jealous. My heart beats faster.

“You’re right, she’s not. But you are,” I simply say, deciding to be honest. She’s too drunk to remember this anyway.

“What?” she asks.

“Nothing. Come on, get the towel and get dressed,” I urge her.

“No!” Aish. So stubborn. “Look at mee, Joong Ki!!! Yaaa!” she’s challenging me, but I won’t budge. I shouldn’t budge.

“Aissshh! Don’t you want to see how perfect my skin loooooks?” I’m aware of that. You don’t need to show me more skin for me to know that.

“Look hereee! I may not work out daily, but I do make sure I look fitttt. I have a body to die for, don’t you even want to see?!!!! Or do you only want that gir….” She says but I cut her off before she could continue. Even when drunk, I don’t want her thinking that someone else is above her.

“Trust me, Miss. I want to,” I say, turning to face her eye to eye. “But I wouldn’t want you thinking that I’m taking advantage of you. I respect you too much to do that,” though I’m really having a hard time restraining myself now.

“Now, please. Take this towel and get dressed,” I add, maintaining eye contact and she finally nods, looking a bit surprised. I continue watching her face and only her face while she looks down, takes the towel and drapes it around her body.

I finally release the breath that I’ve been holding when she’s clothed and offer her assistance to get out from the tub when she suddenly slips. My hands instantly fly towards her waist, holding her and we stand there face to face, too close for comfort and feeling each other’s breath.

She also seems too stunned at the moment that she doesn’t move until my Adam’s apple bobs up and down and her eyes follow the movement. I finally gain momentum and recover my sanity back then help her up slowly, feeling a bit conscious.

I then lead her towards the sink where I prepared her toothbrush and the nearby table where I placed her change of clothes. I patiently wait for her to finish, respectfully turning my back as she gets dressed then take her back towards the room where I tuck her to bed.

“You’re so nice to me,” she says as I cover her with a blanket, I decide to ignore her. “Why?” she asks and I look at her. “Most people wouldn’t put up with me if I wasn’t the President’s daughter… If I didn’t have anything to give…” she says softly, her eyes half-closed while I listen to her quietly.

 “I haven’t been nice to you, I don’t even have anything to give you but you still take care of me,” she adds and I wonder if she’s already sober or not yet.

Because I want to. Because you matter. I want to tell her.

 “You’re real, aren’t you?” she asks as she gets a hand out from under the blanket to poke my face gently.

“…You’re not just part of a dream?” So, she’s still drunk.

I smile, she looks so young so innocent at the moment. Her gaze follows it, so does her finger. She traces it slowly and I shiver, my smile fading completely. “Because if you are, I want to keep dreaming.”

“W-why?” I ask, stuttering but she doesn’t answer, instead, she just smiles. I continue gazing at her, nonetheless. Helpless. Vulnerable.

She may be drunk, but she still manages to unhinge me.

“You’re cute,” she says after a moment, smiling before releasing a yawn then closing her eyes. Thinking that she must’ve already fallen asleep, I reach out to turn off the night light, but then she again starts talking.

“…And you…make me… happy,” she adds, each word becoming fainter and fainter as she succumbs to sleep and I find myself smiling.

“You make me happy, too. Very happy,” I tell her gently, watching her breathe evenly. “And you don’t even have to be the President’s daughter to do that,” I say before turning off the lights to let her sleep.

--- 

*SHK’s POV*

I wake up with a terrible throbbing in my head. I’m still wondering what on earth I last night to deserve such pain when everything come crashing down on me. Oh right, Joong Ki taking me to Kwang Soo’s restaurant after we had our hands inked, us ordering tequila, Kwang Soo teaching me how to drink, Joong Ki meeting Hyerin and me drinking. After that, nada. My mind’s blank, I don’t remember anything.

Ugh, why did I even insist that I drink when I know that I have low tolerance for alcohol?

You can be too stubborn sometimes, Hye Kyo. I scold myself as I struggle to get up while clutching the side of my health. I feel so sick that staying in bed all day seems like a good idea, but my throat feels so dry that I couldn’t ignore the thirst anymore. I just have to get a glass of water from the kitchen.

Slowly, I take painstaking steps outside the bedroom to the living room, telling myself I can rest right after I get my fill of water. I am halfway through the room when I hear sounds coming from the kitchen and look up to see Joong Ki cooking, with his back to me.

I stand here, fascinated as he expertly tosses the pancakes in the pan, looking relaxed and so used to what he’s doing. I continue watching until he turns towards me to place the pancakes on the plate and notices me standing. I think he’s eyes light up a bit before smiling at me (I might be wrong since I’m still nursing a hangover and my eyes are playing tricks on me).

“You’re awake,” he says and I only smile in response the mutter a soft good morning, too weak to say anything more. “Come and take your seat, breakfast’s ready,” he adds and slowly, I make my way towards the table, making sure I don’t sway too much, or it wouldn’t do my head good.

“Sorry, I wasn’t able to make some eggs. I didn’t think you’d be up this early,” he apologetically says and I give him a reassuring smile. “I hope this is okay with you.”

“No, this is already too much. And I don’t think I have that much appetite anyway,” I say, not wanting him to feel sorry. Him preparing breakfast for me is already enough. He didn’t have to do it, but he did. So, as much as possible, I want to make him feel how grateful I am. I try to muster a smile, despite feeling faint.

“Here, drink this” he says as he turns his back on me for a bit, grabs something, then later on hands me what looks like a glass of fruit juice. “It’s good for treating hangovers,” he adds and I’m about to protest when the pounding in my head continues, silencing me. Instead, I just take the glass quietly then place it in front of me, debating whether I should drink it or not since I feel nauseous and eventually deciding on doing the former. I am about to raise it on my lips when I notice something at the counter.

“What’s that for?” I ask, my eyes looking at a tray resting idly on top of the counter. He follows my eyes then blush as he sees what I’m pointing at.

“Uh, I was thinking of bringing you breakfast in bed,” he says shyly, not meeting my eyes. “Since I thought you’d feel a bit unwell.”

“Oh,” I manage to say, surprised by what he just said while he stands there, still bowing down. To ease the awkwardness, I take a sip of my juice and my eyes light up as I taste how refreshing it is. I then close my eyes to savor the flavors bursting in my mouth. “Oh, this tastes so good,” I say and he chuckles as he takes the seat opposite me.

“Glad you like it,” he says, and starts slicing pancakes then places the plate in front of me.

“Oh, no. That’s yours. I can fend for myself,” I profusely refuse but then as I keep on making sudden movements with my head, the throbbing comes back, making me sit back on the chair and clutch it for a while.

“What’s wrong?” he asks, and I slowly look up to see his worried face. “Are you feeling ill? Do you want to lie down?”

“No, that’s okay. I’m fine. Just a bit of headache, but it will go away,” I say, trying to reassure him.

“Are you sure?” he asks, and I nod, careful not to move too much. This time, when he places the plate of sliced pancakes in front of me, I don’t protest.

“Thanks,” I say, feeling slightly touched by his gesture. “Ugh. I’m never drinking again. This hangover’s horrible. It’s like I downed a bottle of tequila last night,” I complain.

“You did,” he comments out of the blue and I look up to him. “Well, not really, but you did drink too much.”

“And you did not stop me?”

“Well, I tried to, but you wouldn’t listen.”

“No, you didn’t. I don’t remember you doing that, I just remember you flirting with your childhood crush,” I blurt out before I could even stop myself.

“She’s not my childhood crush and I was not flirting with her,” he says, sounding defensive.

“Whatever,” I roll my eyes then take a bite of pancake. “Anyway, what really happened? I only remember that then drinking a shot or two and…” Nothing. I don’t remember anything.

“You really don’t remember what happened?” he asks and I shake my head slowly. He sighs. “Well, you kept on drinking and drinking like you mistook the tequila for a glass of water,” he adds and I glare at him. “After much convincing and restraining, you finally gave in and agreed to come home. But even before we got to the car, you already passed out.

“What?” I ask, not believing I did those. He nods. “Ugh, that’s so embarrassing. I’m so sorry for troubling you. I won’t do it again,” I say and he nods approvingly.

“Good. You really shouldn’t,” he says and I meet his eyes. What does he mean? “From what I observe, you tend to forget what happens when you’re drunk. It’s not safe for you. People might take advantage. Good thing it happened with me with you. I couldn’t even imagine what would happen if you drank with a stranger.”

“Okay, okay, boss, whatever you say,” I say rolling my eyes good naturedly. “I’m not planning on nursing another hangover like this anyway. It’s terrible,” I say, causing him to laugh softly and I remember how much he laughed yesterday. It was nice seeing him that way – relaxed, carefree and having fun, especially when we messed around with each other with our ice cream, which reminds me….

“Wait,” I say, causing him to pause from eating. I look down on my shirt, confused. “Wasn’t I wearing a white shirt yesterday? And wasn’t it soiled with ice cream?” I ask and his cheeks turn red. He clears his throat. “Then why am I…” I say, looking down at the now clean shirt that I’m wearing. “Did I somehow change clothes? I don’t remember….”

“Uh… about that…” he hesitates and realization dawns on me.

“You weren’t the one who changed MY clothes were you?!!” I demand and he bites his lips. I become slightly distracted, but then try to collect myself.

“No, I wasn’t. It was you who changed your clothes,” he says and I heave a sigh of relief. Phew. “Although, you did strip in front of me….” What?!

“WHAT?!!!” I scream and my head throbs, but I ignore it. There are important things that I should deal with right now.

“Luckily, I’m not the type of guy who takes advantage of drunk women,” he teases and I glare at him.

“So, only sober ones, then,” I mutter under my breath, but of course he hears it.

“Not even sober ones,” he says and I roll my eyes.

“Did you see anything?” I ask and his cheeks blush red. He doesn’t answer. “Song Joong Ki. DID YOU SEE ANYTHING?!!” I demand.

“I didn’t,” he finally manages to say. “I closed my eyes and turned around…”

“…though I didn’t really want to,” I think I hear him saying.

“What?!!”

“Nothing,” he says nonchalantly. “Anyway, you kept asking me to take you to the tub before that.”

“I did??” All these revelations continue to surprise me. He nods.

“And uh…”

“What?” I ask and he shrinks under my gaze. What is it now? “Joong Ki, what??!”

“Well, uh… when I gave you a towel.. you uh.. you kept on asking me why I wouldn’t look at your uh…,” he swallows. “body,” he adds and this time, my cheeks burn in embarrassment.

“Oh no, I did not,” I say, still in denial.

“You did. You even told me how perfect your skin looks,” he says and all hope that I did not just do that vanishes. That sounds like me alright. “And you said you may not workout daily, but you do make sure that you look fit. If I remember correctly, you even told me you have a body to die for,” he adds and I find myself sinking in my seat as I burrow my head in my hands in embarrassment.

“So humiliating!” I say, my voice muffled. “Aaahhh!!” I scream in my hands while stomping my feet, wanting to erase what he just told me from my memory. I keep wanting to smack myself for drinking that much then for acting like that when I got drunk. What was I thinking anyway? And to think I was even planning on drinking alone?

Forget about the bucket list, I’m never getting drunk ever again!

--- 

Two hours later, I emerge from the bedroom, trying to find something to do. After that humiliating revelation at breakfast, we ate in silence, or rather it was only I who ate in silence while Joong Ki kept talking. I then moved to clear the table after eating as my way of thanking him for breakfast, but he was quick enough to stop me. Instead, he told me that he would do it and that I should rest.

At first, I protested, but then, still feeling a bit weak, I finally gave in and went back to the bedroom to sleep. However, no matter how hard I tried to go back to sleep, I just couldn’t. His recollection on what happened last night kept bothering me. So, after hours of tossing and turning, I got up and just decided to go on with the day.

I’m still surveying the house for something to distract me from my thoughts when I pass by the window and see him preparing what seems like two large wooden basins with water in them. Curious as to what he’s doing, I step outside and approach him.

“What are you doing?” I ask as I watch him pour powdered soap in the water. He looks up, surprised to see me here.

“You’re already awake?” he asks, probably wondering what time it is already.

“Actually, I wasn’t able to go back to sleep,” I answer him. “You didn’t answer my question. What are you up to?” I ask while trying to figure it out.

“Oh, I’m about to wash clothes,” he simply says and again, I’m surprised. For a guy, he sure knows a lot of house chores. Others would just rely on their mothers or the laundry to do that, but then again, he’s not the typical kind of guy.

“Manually?” I ask and he nods as if he’s used to it. He then puts his clothes in one by one for them to soak in the detergent while I watch him, fascinated. I’m still watching him do the chore when I spot clothes which look familiar to me – my clothes.

“Hey, are those my clothes?” I ask him and shyly, he nods.

“Uh, yes. Sorry, I got them from your hamper when you were asleep,” he says, apologetic that he wasn’t able to ask permission to get them.

“That’s okay, but wait. Why are you washing them? Those are my clothes, I should be washing them,” I say, making a move to take them from him, but he doesn’t budge.

“Ya! Let them go. You’ve done too much for me already. I don’t want you thinking that I can’t do chores,” I say, but he’s still not moving.

“I’m not thinking that…”

“But I can do this by myself!”

“I know, but let me do this for you,” he says. This is so frustrating, he’s not listening to me.

“Joong Ki!” I say, my voice raised now and I finally get his attention. “Really, I can do it by myself. I washed my clothes the previous days and….”

“You hurt yourself,” he says and I blink. What?

“What?” I ask out loud but he quietly takes my hands and then stares at them. I follow his eyes only to note that he’s studying my palms – my palms which have several scratches in them. Embarrassed, I quickly withdraw my hands and hide them.

“I don’t want you to get hurt further,” he says and I prepare myself to retaliate but he beats me to it. “I promised to return you unscathed. But it seems like I’m failing,” he says, looking upset. So, this is what it’s about.

“You’re not,” I say, wanting to placate him and he meets my eyes. “You’re taking care of me really well and I couldn’t be more grateful,” I give him a soft smile. “But you need to know that I can do this by myself, I can…” but he’s still looking down. Fine!

“Okay! Fine! You can do it,” I surrender, handing him the clothes and he willingly gets them. If that’s what it takes to make him feel good, then fine. I watch as he soaks each item, careful to separate the white ones from the colored ones.

I may have given in, but it still doesn’t stop me from feeling uneasy for letting him do that. It makes me feel like I’m ordering him around when we’re too far away from the Blue House. I’m not exactly a princess he should slave around for.

He must’ve noticed my expression when he looks up and meets my gaze.

“You don’t look happy,” he says and I remain silent for a while before answering.

“It’s not that. I just feel like I’m bossing you around when you don’t even have to do this for me. It’s not like you’re my slave,” I say and he smiles.

“Well, I’ll gladly be if you want me to,” he jokes and I scoff.

“Ok

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter