The Start

The Agent and I
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*SHK’s POV*

I’m still annoyed, looking out the car’s window as we drive to towards the coffee shop my friends and I frequent. I know I should feel elated. It’s been a while since we last saw each other, but I still couldn’t help but feel gloomy knowing that my every move would be monitored.

Even driving on my own isn’t allowed. So annoying. My eyes flicker towards the front where my new driver, who I think is called Agent Lee is driving swiftly, while at the passenger seat is that annoying Agent Song. It hasn’t even been two days since I got back and I’m itching to leave already.

The car stops and immediately, Agent Song goes out of the car to open the door for me. He offers his hand but I decide to ignore him and just go on walking towards the café’s entrance. I haven’t taken two steps yet when I hear Min Young, Senator Park’s daughter and my best friend since time immemorial call my name.

“Hye Kyo!” she excitedly calls me and I widely smile as I make my way towards where they are. She first stands up to hug me and I hug her back. I missed her. I missed my best friend.

“Ya. What about me?” Ah In, another close friend, interrupts us. He, on the other hand, is the son of Senator Yoo.

“Ah In,” I say and he smiles before pulling me to a hug.

“Hye Kyo. How are you? Finally, you show your face to us,” he says and I give him a face.

“Why are you suddenly asking how I am? You’re not usually like this,” I and he pouts.

“I’m trying to be welcoming, you know,” he says and we all laugh. We’re still laughing when Min Young suddenly gets distracted and stops laughing.

“Wait, who are those?” she points to my bodyguards who are positioned around the café. And there I thought my father said I won’t even know they’re there.

“Ugh. My bodyguards, also known as my wardens,” I roll my eyes. “I think my dad wants to torture me.”

“Whoah, the President really went all out this time. There’s many of them,” Ah In says.

“I know. You guys know how my dad gets sometimes,” I say and they nod in understanding. Being children of politicians, they know how it is to be in my shoes as they too, have experienced times when their privacy was invaded. It has become a common occurrence to us, but still, it doesn’t make it less irritating.

For others, it would seem like we live perfect lives, but each of us knows that that’s not the case. Maybe that’s the reason why we’ve become close friends and stayed as such through the years. I guess it’s safe to say that no one understands us better than we understand one another.

“Where’s Hyo Joo?” I ask the moment we take our seats. Hyo Joo is our other friend and the daughter of the Vice President.

“Oh you know how she is, always late. She called and said she’ll be here in a few minutes,” Min Young says. “But I’m guessing she meant a few hours.”

We stop talking to place our orders first, after all, I badly need a dose of caffeine. I’m betting my friends do, too. A few minutes later, while Min Young and Ah In are talking, discussing the newly opened bar across the street, I inconspicuously glance to where my bodyguards are situated, hoping that they’d at least stop being too obvious. It’s really embarrassing having them around, people continue to look and it feels like I’m being babysat. Agent Song catches me staring and I immediately avert my eyes, cursing myself for staring too long.

But before I could scold myself more, someone hastily sits right next to me and I turn to look at a panting Hyo Joo who has just arrived.

“Sorry, I’m late. Got caught up with something,” she says before raising her hand. “Waiter, one Caramel frappe, please!”

“Wow, slow down there, girlfriend,” Min Young says and Hyo Joo rolls her eyes then jump up as if she just remembered something.

“Oh! I forgot! Welcome back, Hye Kyo,” she says, leaning in for a hug. “I missed you!”

“I missed you, too,” I say, laughing. Our orders finally arrive and we each take a moment to enjoy our drinks.

“So, how’s life?” Ah In says as he takes a sip of his Americano and I seem to realize that it’s me he’s asking, that I look up from my drink.

“It’s fine. Other than coming back to this complicated life in Seoul and having about at least a dozen bodyguards following me around, life’s fine,” I say, a sarcastic tinge present in my voice and he laughs.

“It’s not like you can escape them,” Min Young says, putting down her drink and I nod. Yup, there really is no escaping now.

“Any plans on staying here for good?” Hyo Joo asks and I look at her. She actually looks as if she’s waiting for my answer so even though I’m not really fond of questions like that, I decide to answer her.

“Actually, I don’t have definite plans yet. But I think I want to go back abroad. Maybe try New York this time,” I say and she perks up.

“Really?!” she asks and I’m confused at her sudden excitement.

“Ya! Why are you so happy? Are you actually happy that our friend here wants to leave us again?” Min Young asks, her brows furrowed, intent on scolding our friend and I shake my head at her.

“I’m guessing she doesn’t want you here, Hye Kyo,” Ah In teases and we all laugh while Hyo Joo blushes.

“It’s not it. It’s just that, we know how she doesn’t like it here and that there are actually good opportunities abroad. New York, especially,” Hyo Joo defends herself and I decide to rescue her.

“I know what you mean and you do have a point. Actually, at the moment, I’m thinking about the same things. But we all know that we just can’t decide in an instant and by ourselves,” I say, thinking about how one decision needs to be planned out really well. Such is the life of a child of a politician.

Finally, the three of them nod and we all continue sipping our drinks.

“Paris sounds nice, too, if you’re really planning on leaving again,” Ah In says, putting down his drink to smile at me. “I’m planning on visiting my cousins there in a few months, so maybe I can meet you there.”

“He’s right and there are a lot of beautiful places there, too. I’ll visit you often,” Hyo Joo says and I give her a smile.

“That sounds like a good idea,” I agree. They both have a point and I have always loved visiting Paris. Maybe it wouldn’t so bad considering on staying there for a long time.

“What’s this? It’s only you three? What about me? I want to go, too!” Min Young protests.

“But you’re always busy with your boyfriend. You hardly even have time for us, what makes you so sure that you’ll have time to follow us there?” Ah In says, earning a scowl from Min Young.

“You’re just bitter because you don’t have a love life. And besides, I’m pretty sure I can go with you there. After all, I have a very understanding and handsome boyfriend,” she proudly says and leans back on her chair with dreamy look on her face. Hyo Joo looks at her and shakes her head while Ah In scowls in protest.

“I’m not. And I do have one,” he says and before he could even continue, Min Young stops him.

“You don’t.”

“I do!” he argues.

“Well, if dating girls and flirting with them for a while then dumping them the moment they say I love you is what you mean. Then maybe you do have one, well, a lot, actually,” Min Young smoothly says and Ah In gives her a nasty look while Hyo Joo and I laugh behind our glasses.

“Anyway,” Hyo Joo decides to intervene before another debate starts. “Ji Won’s party is up this weekend, who’s coming?” she asks and when no one responds she gives us a pleading look. “Come on guys, this is the first time in so long that we’re complete. Let’s go!”

Every year, Ji Won, a childhood friend of ours, insists on holding a party on her birthday. It has always been a ‘must-go-to’ event given the grand preparations and often wild afterparty. Another plus is that upper class personas often go to that party so it’s a perfect opportunity to take for those who want to build connections.

“Fine, I’m in. I have to talk to Mr. Kim anyway,” Ah In says and her eyes brighten then she looks at Min Young.

“Well, Chang Wook and I have a dinner reservation on that night, but maybe we can head there right after,” she says, giving her a smile.

“That’s great!” Hyo Joo exclaims, excitement clear in her voice and all eyes then shift to me.

“What?” I ask, looking up from my drink.

“You’re coming, right?” Min Young asks.

“Uhm….”

“Please say yes, please Hye Kyo?” Hyo Joo pleads, leaning in to hold my free hand.

“Uh, I’m not really in the mood to socialize right now. And you know…,” I say, flickering my eyes towards the living statues around the café, monitoring every person that comes and never taking their eyes off of me.

“Please Hye Kyo? It’ll be fun, I promise and don’t mind them. Surely, you’re not prohibited to have some fun, right?” Hyo Joo pleads. Like what I said, I’m not in the mood to socialize and I certainly am not in the mood to act pleasant when I know that people are only acting friendly around me because I’m their President’s daughter. But how can I say no when all my close friends, the friends I already consider as my siblings, are looking at me like this?

“Fine! I’m in,” I say in defeat and they all whoop in excitement. Oh boy, I guess I just subjected myself to another night of pretense.

---

 

“Remember to stay with your friends, okay Hye Kyo? Don’t talk to those you don’t know.”

“Okay, Appa.”

“Always be in sight of your bodyguards. Don’t stray too far away.”

“Alright.”

“Have your phone with you at all times. Don’t trust just anyone.”

“Noted,” I unemotionally answer. My father is again being his usual overprotective and paranoid self. Not that I blame him. Given the current circumstances, it is a must to be careful. However, he can be too much sometimes.

“And if there’s any problem, just look for Agent Song, he will be near,” he adds one more time and I fight the urge to roll my eyes at him. He said that at least ten times since I got him to allow me to attend the party.

He was hesitant at first, saying that it’s dangerous and that it would be best that I stay home, but after much convincing and a little guilt trip, I successfully got him to say yes only on one condition – that I will be escorted by my bodyguards, but I got to sweet talk my way out of it, too. Well, not really, but I at least got him to agree to lessen the amount of bodyguards around me, telling him that a dozen is too much and that it attracts much attention. So, currently, I’m down to five bodyguards, three of which will be with me inside the venue while the two are on standby and will serve as lookouts outside. Five is still a bit too much for me, but that’s the final bargain. I had to take it, otherwise, I’ll be stuck with 12.

“Fine, Appa,” I impatiently answer, wondering when he will ever let me go and get to the event. I’m sure Ah In and Hyo Joo are already there while Min Young is on her way together with her boyfriend, who I am yet to meet.

“You know I’m doing this for you, right, Hye Kyo? It’s for your own safety,” Appa sighs and my expressions softens. Yes, I do. I may not like the way things are going, but I do understand his reasons.

“I know, Appa,” I say with a smile, hoping to reassure him. “It’s just that you worry too much sometimes.”

“I’m just afraid to lose you,” he says, his voice breaking a bit and I stand to hug him.

“You’re not going to lose me, Appa,” I say, tightening my hug. To some, he might appear as a fearless and brave leader, a confident President. But in times like this, I can sense how worried he is for me and for my mother and I don’t like worrying him, even if I always end up doing so. “I promise I’ll be careful.”

“Okay,” he sighs. “Have fun at the party, but not too much,” he says as he lets me go, pointing a finger at me in warning and I laugh.

“Okaaaaay President Song,” I tease and this time, it’s him who laughs heartily before kissing me on the forehead.

“Love you, Appa. See you tomorrow, I’ll be back in one piece,” I joke once more the moment I reach the door to his office.

“Ha-ha. Very funny. You better be. Love you, too, princess,” he says and with that, I close the door to say good bye to my mother downstairs before I leave for the party.

--- 

I fix my dress as soon as we arrive at the Kims’ residence. Even from inside the car, I could already hear the music booming mixed with people laughing, so I’m guessing that the party’s already in full swing. I just finished taking a deep breath to calm my nerves when someone opens the door and I see Agent Song’s face staring back at me. He offers his hand to me out, but as usual, I ignore it.

I head my way towards the entrance and exhale a sigh of relief not seeing any reporters lingering around. Thankfully, Ji Won’s house is located in a private subdivision and not anybody can come and go as they please. I guess that’s one less problem I have to worry about tonight.

As I approach, with Agent Song trailing just right behind me and two others on either side of us, I spot people lining up at the door, getting their invitations checked. I open my purse to present mine, but the moment the usherette sees me, she immediately welcomes me and ushers me in, not even bothering to check whether I am in the list of guests or not – one of the perks of being the First daughter or maybe because she knows that my family are friends with the Kims.

“Hye Kyo!” I hear someone call my name and I turn to see Ji Won fast approaching with a bright smile on her face. Agent Song immediately alerts and I fight my urge to roll my eyes at him.

“Ji Won!” I exchange air kisses with her. She them pulls back to smile at me. “Happy birthday!”

“Thanks! I’m so glad you made it, I was already planning on kidnapping you if again said no,” she jokes and we laughed while Agent Song behind me is clearly not pleased upon hearing the word ‘kidnap.’ Whatever.

“Well, I had to come. Aside from Hyo Joo, Min Young and Ah In playing the guilt trip on me, I had to greet you on your day. It’s been months since we last saw each other anyway,” I say honestly.

“Did you receive my gift?” I ask her. Not wanting to carry a gift bag tonight, I asked one of our helpers to deliver the gift to her in the morning.

“I did. See?” she says, raising her hand to show me a charm bracelet from Pandora, which I bought for her. I decided to give her that since I know she’s fond of those kinds of bracelets.

“Do you like it?” I ask, waiting for her response.

“Do you even need to ask that? Of course, I like it. Wait, no. I love it,” she exclaims and we laugh again. “And who are these?” she asks, gesturing to my entourage, clearly not getting that I’m trying to act as if they’re invisible.

“Oh, my bodyguards,” I nonchalantly say, not wanting to elaborate further.

“Bodyguards?” she asks, a little too happily, her gaze shifting to the agent on my left.

“Agent Song, Miss,” the arrogant agent introduces himself and I roll my eyes. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter