Run Princes Run!

Everybody Loves Soo

[Soo is tired of watching couples in Goryeo. She accidentally wished she could have found a man to give her heart to. And the next thing she knew, she found her “lady” friends became a “guy” friends. How will the princes react? She has twelve days to spend her time with her new “boy” friends…Magic!AU with many gender-bends and return of the Jinn!]

 

Soo went out to the Song-Ak market with Chae-Ryung. She was out of herbs and flowers and needed more for cosmetics and bathing aids. They bought herbs and flowers from foreign lands. Before she was about to pick another, she heard the voices behind. She turned and saw young couples smiling one another. One man gave his elbows as her arms were around, giggling. Those couples were just same as the ones from the modern word—

Then, Soo realized and asked Chae-Ryung.

“Chae-Ryung, what day of this month is today?”

“Uhh…first day of February…” Chae-Ryung replied.

Soo sighed as she felt her legs getting numb. Fortunately, her friend came and helped her stood up. Thirteen more days, it will be Valentines day…the holiday that makes her melancholic and forlorn. When they came back, princes and others had noticed the gloomy atmosphere around their favorite court lady.

“Soo? What’s wrong?” Woo-Hee was the first one to speak.

“Nothing….” Soo lied.

“Come now, don’t make us worry all.” Prince Baek-Ah said.

Soo sighed heavily.

“There’s this upcoming celebration from foreign country thirteen days later…”

“Okay?” Baek-Ah prompted her to continue.

“And it’s the day for the lovers and courtship.”

That word caused the princes and others spat their teas. Wook and So’s were pretty much beyond shocked, coughed a little to loud.

“What’s this ‘celebration’ called?” Baek-Ah asked.

“It’s called Valentine’s day…” She replied.

Thirteenth prince tried to pronounce the words, but she stopped.

“There was a legend within that day where in faraway land, where this ‘monk’ from different religion, arranged their religious marriage of soldiers and their love in the 14th day of February, which was forbidden. The king had the monk imprisoned for his crime. After this legend, it become a holiday where the lovers express their feelings by giving each other gifts, or offering the courtship for a day” Soo explained, “the girl also must give her heart to one man but the problem is…I don’t have the one.”

And she went back to the corner of her room, sulking. 

“I wish I could find a man who I should give my heart to in that day…” she muttered.

Little did she knew, her wish would come true from the next day.

“Soo! Sister!”

Hae Soo saw Jung rushing towards her.

“Prince Jung? What’s wrong?”

The fourteenth prince dragged her to the study room of Eighth prince’s residence. She saw the princes and others surrounding the oh-so familiar material with oh-so familiar man. A lamp and—

“Ji-Mong Jinn?!” Soo blurted out, panicking.

The jinn laughed and made a dramatic pose.

“Yes, milady! I’m back!

“What the heck are you doing here?” She asked, raising her voice.

“Now, now, young lady~ You wished for something yesterday. And I’m back to make it all come true~!” The fairy exclaimed.

“What wish—oh…that..”

Then, Jinn snapped his fingers and the light loomed over the princess,illuminated her. As the lights were gone, Princes and Soo could only gape at them. A rather handsome, charming man smiled in a rather mischievous, excited way.

“Prince Yeon?!” Soo yelled.

Eun nearly fainted and Jung helped him up. Crown Prince only laughed heartily. Yo, So, and Wook frowned deeply—in third prince’s case he was bitter with Yeon being more handsome than him— and Won laughed awkwardly.

“Hello again~,” Yeon smiled, revealing his dimples, “oh don’t be too surprised since you already saw myself this way before.”

“Not all done yet~!” Jinn snickered as his eyes were on the door.

The door burst opened, revealing a rather youthful man with long hair tied in ponytail, wearing the servant’s worn clothing.

“Milady? Are you alright?”

It didn’t took everyone a long time to recognize the boy. Soo gasped as she pointed at the boy.

“C—Chae-Ryung? Is that you?”

The boy tilted his head, but nodded his head.

“Yes?”

Soo picked the mirror and reflected on him. Chae-Ryung face paled as he saw what he looked like. He jumped in surprise, wondering how come he become a man.

“Oh, you realize it now?” Won asked sarcastically, somehow miffed.

The door burst opened with a large kick, revealing a rather strong young man in soldier’s outfit. His hair was tied in knot and has one hand holding a sword. Yes, he was none other than Soon-Duk, as a man. Now Eun fainted, mumbling how he preferred Soon-Duk as a girl.

“What’s going on?” Soon-Duk asked.

“Seems like you’re no longer lady Park anymore.” Wang Yeon sneered.

“I heard that, brother wannabe!” Soon-Duk yelled angrily.

Before they could cause any harm to one another, the door opened once again, revealing a rather refined, good-looking man with long hair tied, his height tall as Wang Yeon, but less than Baek-Ah’s. He was wearing a somewhat sword dancer’s outfit. Baek-Ah gaped at the man as he also recognized who he was.

“Soon-Duk, calm your temper. Where’s Soo?”

Soo felt the numbness.

“Oh my god, Woo-Hee?!” Baek-Ah gasped then laughed, “I must say you are still refined as a man, pretty boy?”

Woo-Hee glared daggers at him. Soo sighed heavily as she needed to explain the whole thing to her “guy” friends. Luckily, they all seemed to understand her and found their newfound self interesting, or amusing.

“Okay, we need new names for all of you.” Soo said.

Since then, Soo named Chae-Ryung as “Chae-Ryun”, Soon-Duk as “Soo-Duk”, Woo-Hee as “Woo-Hwon”. No one complained to her as they knew they have to stuck in their male body for dozens of days. Peculiarly, now that they have become a man, they found Soo a bit appealing in the eyes of a man. The princes were unsettled with Soo’s “guy” friends, concerned about the next twelve days.


Chae-Ryun

Chae-Ryun remained following around Soo whenever she needs help for several days. As much he gets tired easily, he smiled whenever Soo focused on baking pastries, brewing teas, or making cosmetics. Sometimes, she makes one more him for he had also worked hard with her. Today, he was busy moving the herbs and flowers on her room.

“Here’s the herbs and plants, lady.”

Soo looked up and smiled in appreciation. She thanked him, then proceeded to make a bathing aids. Out of curiosity and awe, Chae-Ryun glanced at the soaps she made. Noticing his worn out clothing, she smiled. Boy or girl, he still have the curious, youthful eyes. Almost he reminded her of Prince Eun. She picked up the one completed soap and handed to him.

“You should also use it. You’ve done good job today.”

He hastily shook his raised arms.

“I—I’m alright…and it’s not right for the servant to have them…” He muttered.

“Just take it…it’s just between you and me.” She winked mischievously
Chae-Ryun rolled his eyes.

“I can’t win you still, even if I have become a boy.” He muttered.

He noticed one particular small case of cosmetics she made. Judging by the color, the person who she will give it was none than—

“I wonder where the fourth prince is…” Soo mused.

He should have known that Soo’s always giving her attention to So, but it made him looked rueful for some reason. He still remember the time he used to follow his lady Soo when they were at the Eighth prince’s residence. Cheerful and innocent, she looked like a bunny who wants to hop around while he was like its caretaker. Not that he blamed So, but he missed his times with his former lady.

“He must be at Song-Ak today. I think he’ll return tomorrow.” Chae-Ryun replied, hiding his inner conflict.

“Oh! Thank you.” Soo smiled.

Soo was searching for the cases, found them far above the shelves. She tried to reach for one and as soon as she touched it her feet’s balance waned. She was about to fall to her side, but Chae-Ryun was quick to realize it. Paled and shocked, he rushed with his two arms reaching for her falling body.

“AAAAAHHH!!!! Milady!!!!” He screamed out as he finally caught her, but he ended up fall with her crashed on him.

The door burst opened, revealing the princes who heard their yelling. So and Wook came just in time with his brothers following behind them. Yeon and Woo-Hwon also came, witnessing both Soo and Chae-Ryun’s rather hilarious, yet awkward state. Soo fell flat on him as he groaned in pain. She quickly stood up.

“Chae-Ryun?! Are you okay?” She asked frantically.

Then, Chae-Ryun’s hand shakily rose up, forming an index finger.

“I’m okay…I’m fine!” He replied.

Shook their head with smile, Baek-Ah, Jung, Eun, Yeon, and Woo-Hwon went back from what they were doing. So and Wook sighed in relief as they found nothing wrong. So glared sternly at her poor servant, who slightly quivered in fear. Boy or girl, Chae-Ryun was still a bit scared of him.

“Stay out of trouble.” So strictly warned.

Chae-Ryun only nodded his head repeatedly. Soo gave the fourth prince scolding look, then gave him a warm smile.

“Don’t blame my friend. I was being too careless.” Soo said as So nodded his head and left the room with eighth prince.

Soo heard Soo-Duk calling out, telling her to ride a horses outside. She waved her hand to Park Soo-Duk then bid her goodbye to her former servant, who seemed worried now that she gets to have her friends becoming men, he hoped Soo didn’t get in any trouble. He sighed again and went back to his work.


Soo-Duk

Soo-Duk sighed as he saw Soo froze as she was riding on the horse. Shook his head, he came and hop on behind her to teach how to move the horse in different direction. Rolling his eyes, he hopped down and held the rein to make sure Soo didn’t fall off.

“It’s been a long time I ride a horse…still it kind of freaking me out…” Soo whined as she held the rein tightly.

“Sheesh, you and your fears…” Soo-Duk only shook his head.

Soo smiled sheepishly. Even though she was still wary of horse riding, it has improved drastically.

“Soo!”

They jumped in surprise, turned to see the princes, including Yeon, Woo-Hwon, and Chae-Ryun. Soo and Soo-Duk wasn’t sure how to say as they all approached. It has become awkward between Eun and Soo-Duk since he have become a boy. Prince Eun grown bitter of this as he kept behave like a spoiled child, much to Soo-Duk’s newfound annoyance.

“I see you two are enjoying a horse riding together.” Baek-Ah smiled.

“So…what was his new name again?” Jung asked.

“I named him Park Soo-Duk.” Soo said.

Prince Yeon, Yo and Won stifled their laughter, but stopped as she was glaring at them. Some princes found Soo and Soo-Duk riding horses together a bit unusual.

“I didn’t know you were practicing riding horses…” Wook said.

“I’ve told you all I was afraid of riding them so Soo-Duk was teaching me how to.” Soo explained, slightly agitated.

“No, you didn’t.” Prince Yeon intervened, suspicious.

“Yes, she DID, LORD YAMA*!” Soo-Duk literally exclaimed.

Yeon frowned as other princes, including Woo-Hwon choked on their laughter.

“So both of your name began with Soo?” Yo asked, with his fists on his hips.

“Woah, what did I tell you about TALKING TO ME?” Hae Soo said as her arms crossed over her chest.

“Nothing, you said nothing about it.” Yo said sarcastically, keeping his arrogant smirk.

“You know what, you want me to have Bangsangshi and Changsu explain it to you?” Soo dared, pulling each fist with names, “ Bangsangshi will coming down on your throat. Changsu, he’s gonna come up your arse and I’m gonna meet ‘em in a goddamn middle, stab your heart like a cursed thunderstorm, keep on stabbing UNTIL YOUR HEART BLEED, MAMA’S BOY!”

So, Wook, Won, Eun, Baek-Ah, Jung, and Yeon was beyond impressed with Soo’s bold words. Woo-Hwon’s eyes were blinking in disbelief as Chae-Ryun quietly shook his hand frantically to Soo, vainly tried to stop her. Soo-Duk was shocked, but realized why Eun develops his feelings for her from the beginning. This girl has high tides. The more Soo threats the more Yo froze in amazement.

“Oh you dare to speak such ill-manner to a prince?” Yo raised his eyebrows, trying to hide his vulnerability.

Unfortunately, Soo had seen inside him.

“You gonna cry, you walking in-one-dimension of jealous, spoiled brother stereotype?” Soo teased with her tongue stuck out.

As much as he was shocked, Yeon couldn’t help but feel better when someone has a gut to insult the son of the queen who had once accused his and Wook’s mother for the crime she didn’t commit. Though he should know that the more Soo threats, the more the third prince wants to provoke her more.

Huffed in irritation, Yo left as only Soo didn’t missed his sensitive sides. Yeon covered his mouth to prevent himself from laughing as so did So, Eun, Baek-Ah, and Soo-Duk. When Soo stared at them, they faked the coughing.

Soo-Duk was the first one to laugh openly.

“Now I know why Prince Eun had fallen for you.”


Woo-Hwon

Another day came and Hae Soo asked Baek-Ah where Woo-Hwon was, in which the thirteenth prince replied he was in Damiwon. Excited in meeting him for a long time, she scurried inside and saw Woo-Hwon greeting her with smile. As expected as royalty of Hubaekje, he had such regal traits with his hair tied up with feather and small jades dangling. Running from far, Woo-Hwon was one of among who had seen her childish side within her graceful appearance as a court lady.

“How are you?” He asked.

“A little bit tired…but at least I made some inventions of my makeups!” She grinned brightly.

They have talked as they take a walk. Now that Soo took the day off, they were able to go outside the palace. Soo was wearing a rather simple yet breathtaking hanbok; white chŏgori and dark azure blue, with white transparent skirt decorated with the pattern of snowdrops. Her hair was down with side bangs braided and decorated with white and silver jades. In Woo-Hwon’s eyes, Hae Soo looked like a snow queen.

Woo-Hwon wore a rather contrasted hanbok; long, black chŏgori and dark red pants, he had his hair tied back and rolled up, decorated with black transparent ribbon and silver jades. In Soo’s eyes, he looked like a sparrow-man of fire. Salamander. The spirit of fire. She looked away shy, as how much Woo-Hwon reminded her of Wang So.

It’s been a long time they haven’t enjoyed the foods from the market so he let Soo eat whatever she wanted. She enjoyed them much, but also give some to Woo-Hwon who accepted them with smile. In the eyes of people, they looked like a couple, siblings, or a married couple. He also noticed some men giving Soo a lecherous stare. Glaring at the erted crowd, he protectively had his arm around Soo.

“You are a lucky man, sir,” the merchant smiled warmly, “you have such a beautiful wife.”

Woo-Hwon blinked his eyes then realized what the old man just said. He quickly let go of her shoulders, but kept holding her hand in case that lecherous men would come to harm his friend. If it wasn’t a crowded place, he wouldn’t hesitate to carve out those erts’ eyes by now. Noticing his protective side, Soo only smiled appreciatively at him. 

“Well…that’s a pleasant surprise~!”

Hearing such familiar voice, they turned around and saw none other than Prince Yeon. And since the magic had also altered the memories of Goryeo —except for Soo, her friends, princes—people recognized him as a prince and bowed on their knees. Woo-Hwon instinctively blocked the prince from approaching, dragging Soo behind.

“Oh come now, Prince Woo-Hwon! I will do no harm.” Yeon flashed his trademark smile, sending the two a chill down their spine.


Prince Wang Yeon

Prince Yeon had seen both Soo and Woo-Hwon walking outside the palace together. He frowned at the sight, but smiled as he formed a mischievous prank, to once again provoke his brothers. Yeon was wearing a dark robes; dark chŏgori decorated with pattern of tiger lilies, and light purple pants. His hair was tied up with exquisite blood red jades and black feather. He walked out of palace, gracefully marching as the commoners staggered behind and bowed on their knees. He stopped as he saw Soo and Woo-Hwon. Despite the prank he planned on provoking his brothers, he wouldn’t admit he felt a twinge of envy when Soo was with Woo-Hwon.

“P—prince Yeon…” Soo blurted, startled at his presence.

Yeon smiled sweetly, but Woo-Hwon could see the venom inside.

“Good day, you two…enjoy the market I presume?”

Soo nodded her head meekly. When Yeon glanced around the people, they all stiffened, kept bowing as they were unable to look at him. She glanced at Woo-Hwon, giving him reassuring look then approached to the prince.

“Is everyone searching for me already?” She asked.

“Yes, and your servant friend told me you were here.” Yeon replied.

“Oh…,” Soo held Woo-Hwon’s hand as she smiled at him, “let’s go back now.”

Without a word, he only nodded his head continued to glare at Yeon. They all went back to the palace where Chae-Ryun yelled out for her. The princes were waiting at the outside, only to see Soo surrounded with Prince Yeon and Woo-Hwon. So and Wook seemed unsettled by they kept their composure.

“I’m sorry, everyone…I was a bored so I asked Woo-Hwon to take me outside.” She said apologetically.

“You should have asked me then.” So frowned.

“If she had, you wouldn’t let her take one step out of the palace.” Woo-Hwon retorted in Soo’s behalf, now feeling protective of Soo since he is a man now.

As much as he was right, Yeon was a bit dismayed when Soo stood behind the prince of Hubaekje. Baek-Ah sighed as he let it go and dragged his brothers inside. As Yeon was about to grab the court lady’s hand, Woo-Hwon dragged her back. His behaviors didn’t go unnoticed by the princes. Wook’s brother frowned.

“What are you doing?” Yeon asked.

“I’ll her inside,” Woo-Hwon claimed boldly, “instead of letting princes take her.”

It’s funny to admit, but he couldn’t help feel defensive when the prince tried to grab or touch her. Yeon was now beyond irritated by his protective side, somewhat dismayed to see Soo in Woo-Hwon’s arms. What irked him most was when Soo’s arms were around his waist, anxious and intimidated by Yeon.

Princes expected some outburst, but instead Yeon chuckled loudly, releasing a masculine, velvety roar of laughter. As his laughter died down, he whispered in a voice most of them could hear.

‘I’ll keep remember this day…’

Giving him one last look, Yeon walked away. Now that Wook’s brother was gone, Woo-Hwon let Soo go, letting her escorted by Chae-Ryun, Soo-Duk, Wook, and So.

As he walked inside his chamber, Yeon couldn’t recall the reason why he was miffed at Woo-Hwon and Soo. For one thing he knew is that he didn’t like it one bit. He purposely went to them, in order to provoke his brothers. Instead, the prince of fallen Hubaekje managed to anger him.

Sighed heavily, he looked at his hand. He is Wang Yeon, not Princess Yeon-Hwa for now. But he felt a deep remorse and resentment of himself for not truly born as a prince. Tomorrow, he will be return as Wook’s sister, the king’s favorite daughter. Sulking, he straightly went to the table and drank the tea Soo had brewed for him several hours ago. Despite the lack of warm temperature, her teas were excellent.


A day passed and the girls went back to normal. Although they recall what happened for the last dozen of days, they had found themselves as a man intriguing.

They heard the knock on the door, revealing Hae Soo holding the packages. Princes tilted their head on their side. Eun was the first to ask her.

“Soo? What are those?” 

“Remember I told you all about Valentine’s day? I made some pastries for all of you.”

Then she gave each one of them the pastries she baked. Pink one’s for Jung, light blue’s fore Baek-Ah, light green’s for Eun, Purple’s for Won, navy blue one’s were for Wook, orange’s for Yo, red package’s for Crown Prince Mu. Soo told them she already gave one to So.

“Oh! I almost forgot.”

She held out four extra package for Chae-Ryung, Woo-Hee, Soon-Duk, and Princess Yeon-Hwa. The servant had earned auburn colored package, princess of Hubaekje got red wine colored one, dark green for Soon Duk and dark purple for Princess Yeon-Hwa.

“For us? Thank you!” Chae-Ryung happily accepted.

“Did you bake them by yourself?” Woo-Hee asked, “it looks adorable.”

“Oh god, it looks too good to eat…” Soon-Duk muttered.

Looking at the pastries for a long seconds, Yeon-Hwa smiled.

“Thank you.”

Soo, with wide smile, excused herself then left. After she was gone, Chae-Ryung remembered one thing when she was Chae-Ryun.

“I wonder what the fancy-looking packages were for?”

Her question caused everyone to look at her.

“Excuse me?” Wook asked.

“I remember the time I saw lady Soo baked a lot of pastries with fancy package yesterday…I was just wondering what were those for?”

“I also heard from Soo that there are different type of package girls give to another. The simpler one we have means friendship, or family…did that package was the same?” Soon-Duk asked Chae-Ryung.

The servant only shook her head: “No…it looked like it symbolizes something close to…love?”

Yo, Wook Won, Eun, Jung, Woo-Hee, Soon-Duk, Princess Yeon-Hwa wondered what that package was for. Behind them, only Mu and Baek-Ah formed a knowing smile.

Meanwhile inside Wang So’s room, the well-decorated red and black package of pastries, was on the round table with a note written by Hae Soo.

“For Prince So… from Hae Soo…”

 

 

Note:
Chae-Ryung —> Chae-Ryun
Park Soon-Duk —> Park Soo-Duk
Woo-Hee —> Woo-Hwon
Princess Yeon-Hwa —> Prince Wang Yeon

Sorry people. This chapter was solely on gender-swap drabble…so it didn’t have much appearance of other princes… Hope you all enjoy~