More Royalties, More Scenes

Everybody Loves Soo

[Summary: In a most important occasion, Soo meets more princes from different clan. As a high ranked court lady, she was in a heaviest task to impress them. Yo, So and Jung’s oldest brother, Wang Tae notices Soo’s interaction with the princes.]

 

The court ladies were busy moving tables and furnitures everywhere in the morning, directed by Court Lady Oh and Soo. They were informed that other princes and princesses will visit Songak in a week. As much as Soo knows, King Taejo has twenty-nine wives, twenty-five sons, and nine daughters. In other words, Soo will meet more than dozens of prince with eight more princesses. Soo sighed, catching Lady Oh’s attention.

“Are you alright?”

Soo only nodded her head.

“It will be a grand day since it is the king’s second son’s birthday soon. Don’t worry, you will need to serve them only for several days.”

Soo remembered the history she learned from her life at 21st century, that some of the princes pass away earlier for some different causes. She fears if something worse will happen to one of them as she was fully aware of some prince’s upcoming treason they will commit. She could only hope this week will be over as a peaceful days that will be passed soon.

Soo felt the hand on her shoulder. She turned to see her mentor forming a comforting smile.

“Just do your best.”

Soo smiled, swore not to let her down.

Back to her chamber, Soo, Chae-Ryung, Woo-Hee, Soon-Duk, and Princess Yeon-Hwa had the scrolls filled with the informations of visiting princes and princesses. Chae-Ryung and Soon-Duk introduces all their names, while Woo-Hee and Princess Yeon-Hwa told Soo each of the prince’s and princess’s additional information.

“And the guest of honor, is him.”

Woo-Hee pointed at the name; “Wang Tae”.

“He is the oldest son of Queen Yoo and currently, he lives in the household of Chungju clan.” Princess Yeon-Hwa said.

“It was rumored that he suffers from incurable disease. The royal physicians don’t know the cause, but he was once known as the potential rival of the Crown Prince. If it weren’t for the disease, Wang Tae would have been the crown prince.” Woo-Hee added.

Soo nodded in understanding. She heard from history that Queen Yoo was known for having many children compare to other wives of King Taejo.

“Worry not. He may resemble Yo or So, but he is a gentle, and kind man. He actually has a cordial friendship with Crown Prince and the the third prince is quite submissive towards his older brother.” Woo-Hee assured.

Soo felt sympathy towards the man Wang Tae since he doesn’t have much time to live. At the same time, she was curious of what does every other prince looked like.

“Other princes are very young…some of them are no older than five to twelve.” Soon-Duk informed more as she put the scrolls down.

They all told Soo each other prince’s favorite snacks and teas to serve as Soo write down everything on her small note. As she bowed to them, bidding goodbye, she walked to Damiwon followed by Chae-Ryung, directing other court ladies with organizing the hall.

From the following night, Soo was exhausted from the work and was resting in her room. She heard the knock from the outside. She approached to the door and opened, letting the younger princes, So, and Wook enter.

“Soo. are you okay?” Prince Eun asked.

Soo only nodded her head.

“Yes, I’m alright.”

“It’s quite a big day soon, you better need to rest.” Wook said with comforting smile.

Soo thanked him as Jung and Baek-Ah dragged Eun away. Wook and So slowly left as Soo drifted herself into her sleep, waiting for the next big day.
The day has come faster than Soo thought as the court ladies were finished the preparation. Soo stood beside Court Lady Oh as the princes were at Songak to greet their other siblings. As a senior court lady she need to stay calm and composed. Chae-Ryung gave her reassuring smile as Soo smiled back at her.
The gate of palace opened, revealing other princes and princesses with their servants following them behind. What caught Soo’s attention was the young man in the center. He has a pale skin with his eyes that resembles either third or fourth prince. His black hair was tied back in a knot, indicating his marital status, and he was wearing the platinum gold robes with black highlights. Soo immediately realized this man was Wang Tae, Queen Yoo’s eldest son. Behind him was his sisters, Princess Nak-Rang* and Heung-Bang. There was other half-brothers followed with Wang Wi, Prince In-Ae, Jo-Ii, princess Munhye*, and Sunui*. Another half brother who Won seemed welcoming towards, was his older brother Wang Ui. Different princes and princess were marching with their servants and their mother.

The princes of Song-Ak greets them politely and so did their servants. Soo and the court ladies bowed, greeting the visiting royalties. Behind them, enters King Taejo with his queens. Queen Yoo warmly welcomed her children, especially Wang Tae. The banquet began shortly as Soo remained close to Court Lady Oh, who was serving teas for the king, queens, and the crown prince. King was having a conversation with Tae, seemingly glad to see his son’s more healthier appearances.

“Tae, my son, welcome back.” Queen Yoo formed a welcoming, yet somewhat concerned expression.

Wang Tae only smiled back.

“It’s been a long time, mother.”

His voice was gentle, yet raspy, implying he wasn’t recovered with his illness yet. He looked at the Crown Prince and smiled.

“How are you, brother?” Wang Mu asked.

“Never been better since I came to see my brothers.”

Then he turned to his younger brothers. Before he could greet, Wang Yo immediately bowed with his upper body fold in ninety degrees, surprising Soo. She had never seen that prideful third prince being very submissive, but it was secretly an interesting scene. It was a quite a surprising view to Jung as he viewed Wang Tae as a strong man, but So seemed composed since he had known their relationship between Tae and Yo.

“Now, Yo. Not in front of everyone.” Tae laughed heartily as he Yo’s head as if he was a little boy who was about to be punished.

Tae then looked around, as if looking for someone.

“Where’s So?”

The fourth prince stood, approached to his older brother and bowed. Tae was a bit surprised to see his favorite brother without the mask and the scar. But nonetheless, he was happy to see his brother So.

“How was your stay at the palace?” He asked with kind-hearted smile.

“It was quite…comfortable. I have managed to learn with brothers.” So made a prim smirk.

“I see,” Tae patted So’s shoulder, “seeing your face now makes me feel better. You look more lively than the last time I saw you.”

Soo smiled at their brotherly conversation. She was glad So had another brother who cares about him. By seeing them close, she could see the striking resemblance to one another.

“Brother, your face…! There’s no scar!” Princess Nak-Rang pointed out at So.

Her outburst caught other princes’ and princesses’ attention. Their eyes grew slightly wide, blinking as if they had seen the ghost. Unused with many attention, So averted his gaze, accidentally on Soo, who gave him an expression of “What?” then pretended she didn’t notice his gaze. Seeing their silent interaction, Wang Tae stifled his chuckle as he continued to talk to his sisters.

The banquet concluded with the teas as the siblings were busy having social interaction. Soo saw ninth prince somewhat scolded by his brother Wang Wi, presumably for his inappropriate remarks.

“Are you nervous?”

Soo heard So, and she shook her head.

“Well, are you?” Soo asked the question back to him.

“Actually, yes…a bit.” So admitted.

“Your brother seemed very nice.”

So smiled at her remark.

“Our second brother is a peacemaker…he loves his country as if it’s his home. He dislikes war because he doesn’t want any sacrifice on both sides. He told me once that the soldiers have their family who’s waiting for their return and he doesn’t wish to see the tragedy they do not deserve. He knows about my scar, but he kept sending me letters as he couldn’t return to the palace due to his disease.”

Soo only nodded her head. At least, she was relieved to see other brother who showers So with affection he truly deserves.

“Well, I thought you were a complete aloof, but you were actually big brother’s little boy, huh?” Soo teased.

“Excuse you!” So silently hisses, but smiled nonetheless.

“Oh sorry~!” Soo giggled.

Little did they knew, their interaction didn’t go unnoticed by Wang Tae, who was looking at the pair with knowing smile. Then, he whispered to Lady Oh. After that, Court Lady Oh approached to the fourth prince and Hae Soo.

“Soo.”

Court Lady Oh called. Soo turned to her mentor.

“The second prince wants to see you.”

Soo turned her head to So, who gave her comforting smile. Soo returned and followed her mentor obediently. They stopped at the spot where Wang Tae was sitting.

“G—greetings to the second prince.” Soo bowed.

Court Lady Oh was back from her task, leaving Wang Tae and Soo alone.

“Are you Hae Soo, from the Hae clan?”

Soo replied with “yes” as she nodded her head.

“I’ve heard from my brothers. You were very close to them. Especially with my brother So. Though I admit, I was a bit baffled when I heard you and Eun used to bicker one another,” Tae kept his smile intact, “were you the one who covered So’s scar?”

Soo was unexpected with his question. Thank goodness, he didn’t ask the question in silence. She carefully nodded her head. Wang Tae’s expression grew brighter.

“My…I couldn’t thank you enough for taking care of my brother.”

Soo formed a relieved smile, glad she hadn’t done anything that upset him.

“I also heard you are skilled with cosmetics and medics. I’m quite impressed you have managed to help So with his insecurities. I owe you a great debt of gratitude.”

“She is indeed very intelligent,” The crown prince added, “she is also has a gifted talents with brewing different types of tea.”

“Is that so? Perhaps, I could request for one then. Is it alright?”

Soo smiled widely as she nodded her head.

“Of course, sire.”

Then, Wang Tae whispered.

“So and I have a same favorite tea.”

With that Soo hurriedly went to brew the tea. Wang Wi, Won’s older brother noticed and walked towards Wang Tae.

“So she’s the famous Hae Soo the princes in Song-Ak has grown fond of?”
Wang Tae nodded his head.

“Yes. She seemed very lively despite the grace looming over her.”

“Too innocent, not to mention. Is it just me, or did your brother Yo and Jung looked at the pair with deadly frown?” Wi gestured towards the princes who were looking at So and Soo’s interaction.

Wang Tae looked at Yo, Wook, Eun, Baek-Ah, and Jung. Baek-Ah smiled warmly at the pair with Eun. But what bothered Tae the most, was Yo, Jung, and Wook’s gaze. The fourteenth prince Jung frowned, not bothering to show his envy. Wook and Yo’s eyes were darkening, even though Yo formed a small curl on his lips. Wook looked away as he went back from talking with Yeon-Hwa, but both his and Yo’s expression failed to hide from Wang Tae’s sharp, correct judgement.

“No doubt, your favorite brother So must have gained a lot of attention from the girl…” Wang Wi concluded.

The second prince giggled at his remark.

“You have eyes, Wi. But you don’t see clearly enough.”

He saw the way So looked at Soo when she finished brewed the tea. She had prepared two cups with same teapots for Wang Tae and Wang So. Both of them thanked her, and she bowed. What Tae noticed was So’s hand briefly gripped on Soo. She gave a small note to him and left. Based on So’s rather bashful smile with blush, Tae concluded his brother’s current ‘condition’.

“I see the demise to the darkness of the palace.”

Wi could only smile, nodded his head in agreement. Tae’s brother-in-law, and a half brother, Wang Jik walked over.

“I heard she refused the betrothal to the king. I wonder why…” Jik mused, interested, “but I must say, even though she’s from that traitorous Hong Ha-Jin’s clan, she proved her loyalty to Goryeo all along.”

Tae could nodded his head. There was a rumor—which proved to be true—that elder Hong Ha-Jin traded with Khitan, betraying his country, the king. But Hae Soo, the girl had remained in the palace, serving the king and the royalty. Also, she possessed the powerful ability of bonding with them bringing light to such hellish palace and returned his brother So, his smile.

Soo had seen Wang Tae talked to Mu, and other princes. She must admit, but she could feel the majestic aura from the second prince. It was as if Wang Tae was next in line as a true heir to the throne. She was told that Wang Tae couldn’t become the crown prince because of his illness. She had witness the symptoms by far. The excessed coughing, his pale skin, and purplish lips…it reminded her Myung-Hee, her deceased cousin. Tae was known for born with fragile body. She knew nothing whether Tae lives or dies, but her compassionate side kicked in. As the princes were back to their respective chambers, she was once again called by Tae. She greeted the second prince, bowed slightly. She inspected his face and it was the similar disease her cousin had, no doubt. He was suffering from the respiratory disease.

“By the way you are looking, you might have aware of my disease.”

Soo jumped in surprise.

“It’s alright. Everyone knows that I have a lung disease.”

Speaking of, Soo remembered the tray of Chinese quince tea and pieces of pears in dishes. Wang Tae tilted his head at unusual sets.

“I have learned what disease you have, so this isn’t much but I have prepared some to at least cease the coughing and the pain from neuralgia and muscular pain.”

Wang Tae seemed surprised to know that Soo knows the symptoms of his disease. Soo was also surprised at herself as she thought she wasn’t supposed to say it out loud. She looked down again, gaining his heartily laugh.
“You are an odd one, I must say.”

Soo only put the tray on the table.

“The Chinese quince tea will help you with neuralgia and muscular pain. It is also good for prevent any flu. I have earned this pears which it could cease the sore throat and the pain from the neck. That’s the only thing I could find.”
Tae held the cup and drank it. He immediately felt his neck drained all the pain away, and smiled warmly at the court lady.

“Thank you.”

Soo smiled back.

“I have called you to ask you one thing,” Tae said as he put the cup down, “why did you cover So’s scar?”

Soo blinked her eyes at his question. She remembered the time how hurt he looked when he was humiliated at his first day in rain ritual. People threw him muds, rocks and every hurtful, cruel remarks at him. Calling him monsters, misshapen creature. She briefly frowned at the memory, but remained composed.

“Because it was the only way he have to surpass his insecurity. Because of the scar, he let himself thrown into the dark, lonely place when he seek for affection he must deserve. Just because of the scar and the reputation as a wolf-dog, his brothers used to fear him.”

“So you cover his scar to mend his sorrow?” Tae asked.

“Yes, and I only wanted to help with his insecurities. People said I might have cared for him out of pity, but they are wrong,” Soo then formed a rather fond smile, “with scar or not, being how great prince So is what matters the most.”

The second prince could sense the sincerity in her voice, and he deeply appreciated her care for his favorite brother. A tear gathered in his eyes, remembered So’s life as a hostage in Shinju, guilt overflowed in him due to his incompetence for protecting him. But imagining So’s life with Soo, he was relieved as even if he will be soon to leave the world, he would die in peace.

“If that’s what you think so, I’m relieved that at least So has someone he had drawn to. I might stay at Son-Ak for three days. I am still concerned with him. Oh, and feel free to stay acquainted around me.”

Wang Tae reminded Soo as Myung-Hee, due to his mature and caring personality. Almost as if Tae cares for So as a fatherly figure, instead of brother. But if Tae dies, So will have no one who will watch over him. She knows So was a man who always was independent aloof, but she knew his brother’s death would affect him.

She was back from her thought as she heard the eunuch announced the fourth prince’s presence. She scooted herself to the side, letting fourth prince to enter. So didn’t expect to see Soo, but he remained silent.

“Good to see you again, brother.” He greeted

“You must have been exhausted at Shinju. I assume you are having a relaxing time at the palace” Tae grinned.

“Not that relaxing, but..” He shortly glanced at Soo, “it was worth it.”

“That’s great. I’m glad you are getting along with others…,” Tae sighed, “it’s quite a large-scale around the palace since I have visited this palace just now.”

Tae coughed a little, alarming Soo and So. As if thinking an idea, Soo went beside So.

“Your highness,” Soo called for the fourth prince, “why don’t you go give him some message on his shoulder? He have been very worried about you recently.”

A bit surprised and embarrassed, So frowned at her. But nonetheless he moved towards his older brother and gave him and an awkward, slight squeezes on his shoulders. Soo smiled at their brotherly bonding as Tae laughed heartily. In all honesty, he was surprised with So and Soo’s all too friendly bickering and see how she greatly changed his brother.

“Thank you, So. You’ve grown much stronger I was surprised.”

So made an awkward smile, but briefly gave Soo a playful glare with her secretly tucked her tongue out then giggled silently.

After several minutes both So and Soo were excused. Witnessing their playful bickering almost made Wang Tae smiled, with his eyes gathered several tears.

‘Soo, thank you…for appearing in my brother’s life…’

From the next morning, Soo was busy doing makeups for the visiting princess as they were curious of cosmetics she made. Soo tried one for Munhye, Sunui, and Nak-Rang.

“Done!” Soo exclaimed as she gave each of them a mirror.

They all seemed very satisfied as they smiled and giggled like a teenage girls. Well, technically they are young adults..

“The soap you made smelt so great. Maybe I could ask you for mine.” Nak-Rang looked at the mirror as the other princesses were looking at the soaps Soo created.

“Anytime, princesses.”

“Soo~!” Eun came out of nowhere, surprising the princesses.

Then, Baek-Ah, Jung, Wook, Won, So, Yo, princess Yeon-Hwa, the Crown Prince, and the visiting princes were all presented, looking around the court lady Soo’s room, filled with unseen cosmetics sets and the colorful bathing aids with a shape of flower.

“I see you were enjoying Soo’s cosmetics, sisters…” Yeon-Hwa grinned.

“Wow, I’ve never seen this before…” Wang Wi mused as he walked around.

“Soo, would you make one of these for me?” Wang Jik asked, focusing on the flower-shaped soaps.

Soo smiled and nodded her head.

“Yeon-Hwa’s right, girls, you are enjoying all these without us?” Baek-Ah chuckled.

“Sorry, everyone. This is ladies day.” Soo smiled widely.

When Soo noticed So, she also noticed a tiny mark of concealing that reveals his upper scar, implying that he might not have the spare left to cover the scar. She then pulled another one for him.

“Except him..” She muttered as she signalled him to come inside.

The princesses wanted to see how Soo covered So’s scar but for their space, Yeon-Hwa gently shoved them outside the room.  Soo used the brushes with delicacy, brushing all the way that could conceal his scar. As soon as she finished, she put her brush down.

“I know I’m not supposed to be surprised, but still I’m impressed with her skills.” Eun said, watched them in awe.

“Sister, you are truly talented!” Jung exclaimed.

Soo only giggled bashfully, waiting for So’s expressions. He looked at the mirror then, formed the expression everyone rarely see from him. He made a broad smile.

“Thank you, Soo.”

Seeing the radiance in his smile, she abruptly hugged him with her arms around his neck and her head on his.

“D’awww~! Your welcome!”

Seeing the girl cooing the fourth prince was a rather interesting scene. Yo, Wook, and Jung froze as Eun and Baek-Ah only laughed. Won rolled his eyes at them while the visiting princes were utterly shocked. Wang Tae blinked his eyes startled, but seeing the blush in his favorite brother, he stifled his chuckle.

Realizing what she did, she scooted away, apologising with blush. She hurriedly packed her sets and scurried away as So tried to called out while following her. Jung, Eun and Baek-Ah laughed as they ran along. Won sighed as he tried to keep up with them, Yo and Wook silently followed sulking, leaving the visiting princes and princesses alone. Tae only laughed heartily.

‘It will be a long, interesting days…’

 

 

Note: 
According to the history, King Taejo had 29 wives to appease the powerful clan and its conflict. In result he has thirty four children; twenty five sons, and nine daughters.

Wang Tae*: He is queen Yoo’s oldest son. In drama he was mentioned to be deceased when So was a young boy. In this fic, he is still alive but has incurable disease. (Also, I wanted to portray him similar as Soo’s cousin, Lady Hae; mature, fatherly, and kind man.)

Princess Nak-Rang*: She is Queen Yoo’s eldest daughter, who was married to the Silla Royalty, and has her daughter betrothed to the fifth king of Goryeo, Gyeongjong, as a first queen.

Princess Munhye*: She is the eldest daughter of Taejo’s sixth queen, Queen Ryu, and she is Sun-Ui’s older sister. Historically Munhye will be married to Jung. In episode 20, it was confirmed that Jung was remarried to her, thus she is Seol’s step-mother.

Princess Sun-Ui*: She is the second daughter of Queen Ryu and historically, she would be married to Wang Wook, eighth prince, and their son Wang Chi becomes sixth king of Goryeo, Seongjong. In episode 20, she was married to Wook.