Hello Baby Pt. II

Everybody Loves Soo

[Summary: Continuation from previous chapter. Soo will have to babysat little princes for a week. Trouble is…that they are affection-seeking and too attached to her she couldn’t properly work in Damiwon. And she needs to help little So come out—because he still have the scar. How Soo will handle those annoying, clingy, and cute little brats?]

 

Soo sighed along with the girls. They were watching seven little princes unsure of what they would do with their small height.

 

    “Soo, what do we do now?” Woo-Hee asked as she was holding Baek-Ah.

 

The court lady sighed but realized one prince was missing until she saw a petite figure hiding behind the pillar. The little timid boy with marred face was hiding and Soo approached.

 

    “Fourth prince?”

 

Five years old Wang So meekly nodded his head. Soo felt a twinge of pain, compassion as she saw a horrible scar that nearly scarred a half of his left side of face. His wide, shaking eyes looked away, afraid if his face scared him. But she reached her hands and held him up. Wang Mu sighed, remembering when Queen Yoo who had scarred him, and made himself reminded with mental note to keep his brother away from his mother for a week.

 

    “Crown Prince, I ask for your permission to let me take care of the princes.” Soo asked as she kept holding little So.

 

Wang Mu smiled and nodded his head.

 

    “Alright, you may raise them for a week. I trust you will take care of So also.”

 

    “Thank you, sire.” Soo thanked.

 

D-7

Seven little princes were searching around Damiwon, looking for Hae Soo. Some of them even calling her name nonstop. Won and Eun even searched the room as Baek-Ah and Jung acted like they were doing hide-and-seek. Wook was the quiet one but his eyes were wandering for any trace of the court lady. Yo grumbled as he yelled at So to come quickly. Even though their body and mental stage was around the age of five, they still remember their lives as grownups.

 

    “Yes, yes. Your highnesses~!” Hae Soo came out from the kitchen.

 

And then, the princes stormed towards her, asking to play with them. Even Jung shyly asked her to play tag. However, her eyes were on So who didn’t have any confidence to ask her. She walked towards him and kneeled beside him with sweet smile.

 

    “Hello, Prince So.”

 

So jumped a little, tucking his head down bashfully.

 

    “Why don’t you go play with your brothers?” She asked.

 

But he didn’t say or moved at all. Because of the scar, little brothers avoided him. Sighing in defeat, Soo then made an idea.

 

    “I have to collect some herbs and flowers, would you like to come with me?”

 

Looking at her, So slowly nodded his head. She looked back and lead his brothers along to outside, but her left hand were holding So’s. Her right hand was holding Baek-Ah’s. She was relieved that she was able to make So interact with brothers in first step.

 

Soo showed the pictures of flowers and herbs, telling them it is a game who will find them the most and the winner will get what they want. Enthusiastic with this game, all Wang princes searched around the garden. So’s eyes were very scrutinizing that in short time, he found three different types of herbs. Wook seemed to have a good memories he had found flowers along with herbs. Even as a child, Yo also has a hawk-like eyesight he was also fast with searching them. Eun was more likely trying snatch other brothers’ along with Won. Jung and Baek-Ah chase them, slightly upset. Soo giggled at them and saw Wook and Yo came first, holding their baskets with pride.

 

    “Soo, I found them~!” Wook said with smile.

 

    “Oi, I got them first!” Yo chimed in, scowling.

 

Soo stifled her laughter. Even in child’s form, Yo was a sharp little boy—even without a slight eyeliner. She counted each of them and found they have exact same amount.

 

    “You both have same amount of them! Great job!”

 

She continued to search them until she saw Eun, Jung, Baek-Ah and Won came with their basket. Baek-Ah had gotten the most but Little fourteenth prince tattle-tale at his brothers for stealing his, about to cry at any moment. Soo quickly came comforted him, saying he had done nothing wrong. Then she was looking for prince So, and found him holding large amount of herbs and flowers, dirt all over his hanbok. Baek-Ah asked his brother if he was alright, but So shook his head ignoring Yo’s sneer.

Soo began to count, only to find that he just collected every single type of herbs and flowers. She embraced So, surprising the fourth prince.

 

    “Great job, your highness~!”

Her cheeks were rubbing against his blushing cheeks but rest of princes were pouting. Yo huffed indignantly as Wook frowned along with Eun and Jung. Won complained as Baek-Ah giggled.

 

    “But first, you need to take a bath.” Soo said as she once again, held him and went back to Damiwon telling others to follow her.

 

Seven princes were taking their bath with white robes on. Eun and Jung were splashing the spring water, playing. Won only ate snacks as Yo drank the tea. Wook sat on the edge, his legs playing with the water. Soo was washing So for he had most of the dirts all over. She used her soaps and rubbed the towels on him with much care as the little prince stood silent, blushing.

 

Yo frowned in envy then make a sly smile as he purposely spilled the tea over, causing the hot water landed on his hand. He made a scream of pain as Soo came.

 

    “Sheesh, now that you’re five you’re being very clumsy, Prince Yo.”

 

Soo used a cool tower to ease the burning temperature of Yo’s small hands. Although his hands were a bit painful, it was worthy enough to gain the court lady’s attention. Third prince had never get any care like this from his mother, so receiving this attention caused him to seeking it more. Soo blew a cool wind on his hands rubbing them gently. Yo looked at his brother So and smirked.

 

    “He did that on purpose!” So muttered angrily.

 

    “Obviously.” Baek-Ah agreed.

 

D-6

Princess Yeon-Hwa, Woo-Hee, Chae-Ryung, and Soon-Duk saw seven princes following Soo as a baby chicks. The girls couldn’t help but chuckling at the view. Even the princess giggled at Wook’s needy personality which was unlike him and was interested to tell on her other half-sisters when they visit. The girls decided to see what they would do and saw Soo watching them drawing. Even though their drawing skills are different, they have a common topic: Hae Soo.

 

Among them, Baek-Ah was excellent with drawing Soo impressing her.

 

    “Oh my,” Soo exclaimed with warm smile, “your highness, you have such a great talent!”

 

Young thirteen prince put his hands behind his back, his one foot making a circle and twisting his body shyly. Wang Mu laughed heartily at his brother’s bashful behavior. Pouting other princes tried their best to make a better drawing. Wook frowned as he finish the drawing and held it up. It was a same emoticon drawing Soo showed, but it has her hairstyle and facial expression. Princess Yeon-Hwa stifled her laugh. She giggled and patted eighth prince’s head. 

 

    “Aww, you remember~! How sweet of you.”

 

Wook flashed his toothy smile, revealing his dimples. Soo could assumed with that prince charming-like smile, he would have had many little girls and ladies’ heart.

 

    “Mine too.”

 

Eun finished his, revealing a somewhat cartoonish version of her holding her index finger with smile. It was the same sign she made when she praised tenth prince. Even Jung made one with the word “fighting!” posed by his drawing.

 

Soo saw So struggling with his painting. He pouted as his worked turned out to be a failure. Wang Mu tried to calm him, telling it was alright to make mistake but it didn’t work as a single tear already escaped from his eyes. She hurriedly walk over and his back soothing.

 

    “It’s okay, sire. You did your best.”

 

So almost sniffed, stopping his tears. The crown prince Wang Mu could only look at Soo with surprised look as she displayed a maternal affection for his favourite brother.

 

    “After this, we can play more games.” Soo suggested.

 

Thinking of it, So smiled brightly.

 

Soo was glad she had enough papers to cut and make a form of four different shapes with numbers ranged from one through ten, including the picture of Taejo the king, Court Lady Oh as a queen, and Choi Ji-Mong as a Jack. Also, she made Jinn as a joker. Wang Mu, Choi Ji-Mong, the girls and princes were looking at them with wonder.

 

    “My lady? What are those?” Chae-Ryung asked.

 

    “It’s a cards for a game,” Soo answered, “it’s called ‘Catch the Thief’.”

 

Everyone tilted their head except for Ji-Mong.

 

    “Oh, you mean the game where the one person who got the joker lose?” the astronomer said, perking up.

 

    “Exactly. All we have to do is randomly choosing five cards for each of us and the others have to choose one from other player in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction.” Soo said.

 

    “What do we do when we have two cards with same numbers?” Woo-Hee asked.

 

    “You could abandon them on a center. And if you got at least three cards in order, it’s a same. When person has no more cards, it means they are not a thief.” 

 

    “Interesting…,” Yeon-Hwa mused while guessing, “then one player who got this…joker means he or she is thief.”

 

    “Correct!” Soo exclaimed.

 

    “It’s going to be fun! When could we play?” Baek-Ah asked.

 

    “RIGHT NOW!”

 

And everyone was playing while Ji-Mong, Wang Mu, and Chae-Ryung was watching them. But oddly, So lost for several times, caught as a thief.

 

    “I lost!” So shrieked, covering his face with hands to hide his upset look.

 

    “It’s okay. You can try it again.” Wang Mu assured.

 

    “HA! So, you seemed to have a luck of thief like you are!” Yo sneered as Won stifled his laughter, covering his mouth.

 

    “Third Prince Wang Yo.” Soo called, tapping her foot.

 

Other princes gulped. When she call someone with their full name, it means Soo was upset.

 

    “It’s not nice to bully your brother.” Soo scolded him.

 

    “Hmph!” Yo huffed, dismayed with the fact that Soo takes on So’s side.

 

This time, Soo decided to help So to play cards. She quietly spoke explaining the process of the game and in result, he won for the first time. Little fourth prince sprung his arms to the sky, jumping with wide smile.

 

    “Yay~! I won!”

 

    “Perfect job! You’re getting better,” Soo handed him a soap with a shape of daisy flower, “here’s a little reward.”

 

So looked at the small flower and giggled.

 

    “Teehee~! It’s so cute!”

 

    “You’re the one who’s the most cutest.” Soo muttered, then realized what she just said.

 

So tilted his head, he didn’t heard what she just spoke. Wang Mu was trying his best not to laugh as Soo was flustered. Wook glared in envy as Yeon-Hwa tried her best to calm her small-sized older brother.

 

    “Nothing…” Soo lied as she looked away, embarrassed.

 

D-5

Wang Tae, second brother of Wang princes visited the palace from Chungju. He solely visited the palace to see his brothers only to find Wang Mu watching Soo followed by seven boys. Tae’s eyes were wide when he saw a boy with horrible scar on his face.

 

    “Is that…So?” Tae asked.

 

Wang Mu nervously smiled.

 

    “It’s quite a long story…” Mu explained.

 

Fortunately, Tae believed every word Mu told him. The second prince believed the heavens might have given So a chance to fill his childhood with happiness for a week, with Hae Soo. Due to his stay in palace for several days, Tae was allowed to accompany the court lady of Hae to help with babysitting princes.

 

    “I see our brothers are quite attached to you.”

 

Hearing Tae’s voice, Soo bowed with grace. Even all prince bowed to him. Especially Yo who bowed deeply his topknot touched the ground. Tae chuckled and patted his head. When seeing So standing beside her, Tae sighed with saddened smile.

 

    “If I have known you, Soo, you would have become So’s playmate. He didn’t have much friends or brothers to play with.”

 

Soo’s expression turned slightly solemn as she held So, who was a bit embarrassed by what his older brother told her. He pouted and Tae grinned.

 

    “Would you like to hear more when I stayed at Song-Ak?” Tae asked with knowing smile.

 

So was paled as he guessed what he was trying to tell Soo. As the curiosity kicked in, Soo nodded her head. Tae then glanced down at his small brothers.

 

    “You boys, back to your room. It’s time for nap.”

 

All princes groaned. So’s hand were around Soo’s neck but she put him down.

 

    “13th prince.”

 

Baek-Ah came as she called him.

 

    “Would you like to play with fourth prince while I talk to prince Tae?”

 

He nodded his head with smile and held So’s hand, dragging him to his room. Tae gestured Soo to come along as she walked behind him, inwardly smiling with the thought of listening to the childhood of fourth prince.

 

The conversation was quite enjoyable as Tae talked about So and Soo couldn’t help giggling as she imagined little So sleeping while trying to focus on the lecture Tae has given to him, or displaying his timid behaviors around other siblings.

 

D-4

Soo was working on a medicines for Tae while Yo, So, Wook, Won, Eun, Baek-Ah, and Jung was playing together. Yo and So was fighting over with a book and when the little third prince pushed So roughly to the ground, Soo was alarmed.

 

    “Prince Yo!” She exclaimed with stern expression.

 

Yo jumped with slight fear. Even if he tried to play innocent, Soo frowned at him as her hands were crossed over her chest and tapping her foot. Then she approached and helped So stood up. This only stimulated Wook and Yo’s immense jealousy for a boy.

 

    “Are you okay, Prince So?” Soo asked, worried as she looked over any injuries.

 

So merely nodded his head. He blushed nonstop as her face got close to his. Soo pecked on his forehead and smiled. Seeing that, Eun and Jung pouted, wished they wanted to get her pecks also. Baek-Ah giggled with his mouth covered with his small hands. Won hid behind the pole, blushing. Wook and Yo glared at So. When Soo finished brewing medical teas for Tae, So gently tugged her skirt. When she looked down, his two small hands reached out upward.

 

    “Do you want to deliver this to Prince Tae?” Soo asked.

 

So nodded his head, his eyes sparkling. Soo almost cooed at his sweetness.

 

    “But it’s too heavy for you…,” So pouted until she spoke again, “then, would you like to me along?”

 

With that So smiled brightly. Fuming, Wook and Yo ran towards them. Even rest of young princes followed along.

 

    “Soo! I wanna go too!” Little tenth prince yelled.

 

    “Sister, I can protect you!” Young 14th prince said with bravery.

 

Soo giggled at younger princes trying to take over her side. Wook came and walked beside Soo, opposite to So. Even Yo tried to shove little eighth prince. If they weren’t a prince, Chae-Ryung, Woo-Hee, Soon-Duk, and Yeon-Hwa would freely laugh heartily.

 

When they arrived to Tae’s chamber, Sooo froze at the sight of Queen Yoo coming out from the room, presumably sulking. Instinctively, Soo quietly told young princes to stay behind her so the elder queen couldn’t see them. They all nodded in unison and hid behind her until Queen was out of their view. Soo saw a saddened expression of fourth prince and frowned, later giving him a soothing smile.

 

    “Let’s go gentlemen.”

 

They all entered 2nd prince’s chamber and Soo delivered the teas for him. Tae smiled warmly at the court lady and drank it with satisfying smile.

 

    “Just as usual, your teas are great.”

 

Soo only thanked for his compliment.

 

    “With this talent, you can get married anytime soon,” Tae said then smiled mischievously, “perhaps, you can marry a prince if lucky.”

 

With that, So, Wook and other princes blushed. When looking at Soo’s smile, they inwardly cursed their childish size and fantasy of Soo in wedding gown. All of sudden, little So approached to Tae and with his large limpid eyes, he kneeled.

 

    “Brother, I want to marry Soo if I grow up.”

 

Tae briefly spat his tea as Soo had her palms touched her flushing cheeks, flattered and surprised. Eun and Jung whined as Baek-Ah smiled nonstop. Wook and Yo’s mouth gaped then followed along.

 

    “No! I want Soo as my wife!” Wook yelled with watery eyes.

 

    “Shut it! You can’t marry her!” Yo shouted at Wook.

 

Second prince stifled his chuckle as Soo looked at them speechless. 

 

    “Why don’t you ask Soo then?” Tae asked with extremely amused smile.

 

Soo looked at second prince with wide eyes in disbelief, then glared behind where the girls were giggling nonstop.

 

D-3

While Soo finished making pastries and teas, she suddenly heard the cry of a boy. Instinctively, she went out to see what was going on. Only to see little younger princes on the small pond wailing loudly. Beside them was third, fourth, eighth, and ninth prince stood surprised.

 

    “What’s going on?” Soo asked.

 

    “Those three had a fight and fell.” Ninth prince replied.

 

Soo approached and held them back to the surface. Jung tried not to cry and be like a grown man, while Eun and Baek-Ah sobbed, complaining at their soaking clothes.

 

    “Let’s all go back to Damiwon and take a bath.” Soo suggested with a sigh.

 

Three kids nodded their head. Then, little thirteenth prince sneezed.

 

    “Your highness, I think you need to take it first so no one get a flu.”

 

Baek-Ah nodded.

 

Concerned, little fourth prince followed Soo who was holding the thirteenth prince to Damiwon. After she had several palace maids prepare the bath for him, she quickly gave the boy warm teas to warm him up.

 

After the bath, she managed to persuade Baek-Ah to rest and not do any activities. Even though thirteenth prince pouted, he admitted Soo was right. When she left, So glanced at his brother and decided to stay until he fell asleep in his bed.

 

When Soo came back to check on Baek-Ah, he saw little So sleeping beside. If only there was a camera in this era, she would have taken it nonstop.

 

D-2

Soo received the letter from her cousins that they will visit the palace in three days, much to her panic. She immediately asked for the girls’ help to organize the plan for her cousins’ visit while she was busy taking care of little princes.

 

It was another day and Soo already made cards filled with emoticon images. She was making them as a game for the princes. When she finished she had them showed to little boys who were trying their best guessing the expression. Even Eun tried to make a pose and expression with his own face.

 

    “Soo, is this right answer?”

 

She saw Eun’s cheek painted in pink and was faking the shyness. Soo laughed as she used the handkerchief to wash his face.

 

    “Yes. Correct answer.”

 

    “Yay~!” Eun jumped happily.

 

Then soon, other princes tried to make a correct expressions and pose. Mostly, both So and Wook managed to made them correctly, causing the others to either groan or sniffed their tears back for their loss.

 

It was a night and Hae Soo was patrolling Damiwon alone. She insisted on Court Lady Oh to take a rest and Soo was the only one who didn’t have other night duty. Holding the lantern she walked around to check every room until she felt a small hand tugging her skirt. She turned around, looking down to see little Baek-Ah with white night robe, holding a book.

 

    “Oh hello, your highness,” Soo smiled, “how may I help you?”

 

Looking around, Baek-Ah hesitantly and bashfully replied.

 

    “I…I can’t sleep…” Baek-Ah replied.

 

    “D’aww~, why don’t we go to your room? I can tell you some bedtime stories until you fell asleep.” Soo suggested with warm smile.

 

Brightened by her reply, Baek-Ah grabbed her hand and quickly rushed towards his room.

 

In Baek-Ah’s chamber, Soo was telling Baek-Ah’s favorite stories; Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, and Red Riding Hood. Before she could tell more, she heard many footsteps behind her. She turned around to see other princes who were wearing the same nightwear.

 

Knowing why they were all here, Soo gestured them all to come in. Only So stood behind, unsure if he can come in. Giving him reassuring smile she called him out and he managed to enter, much to her and Baek-Ah’s glee. Eun, Jung and Won sat on the large bed beside Baek-Ah, meanwhile Wook sat beside Soo with Yo sat on the opposite. So was allowed to sit front of Soo as her arms surround his petite figure.

 

    “Not fair…only he can sit in front of her like a throne.” Yo muttered grumpily.

 

    “Oh for a prince with thick eyelash, you talk too much.” Soo mused with smile as she used her handkerchief to rub the makeup from Yo’s face.

 

Soo begins to tell more stories of Frog Prince, Rapunzel, and so on until they all fell asleep. Looking at their angelic, content expression Soo was about to move but little fourth prince’s grip becomes tightened. She stared down and saw him mumbling the word “mother”. Sighing heavily, she decided to stay and see So sleeping as her eye-lids were slowly closing.

 

Little did they all knew, Wang Mu, Tae, and the girls were watching them with suppressed giggle and slowly left the room with wide smile.

 

D-1

In the last day, Soo was searching for the fourth prince who have been missing for all morning. Even when she asked other small princes, they didn’t know where So has gone off to. She then ran towards to Lake Dongji and fortunately, she found little So looking at the large tree.

 

    “There you are.”

 

Hearing her voice, So turned around with wide eyes.

 

    “I have been looking for you,” Soo said as she approached closer to the prince, “Prince Tae wants to see you…”

 

She then noticed that he didn’t wear any makeup on his left side face, revealing the scar. He also didn’t wear the mask even. So’s little hand was behind his back, causing the court lady to grow curious of what he was hiding.

 

    “What were you doing here?” She asked.

 

    “N—nothing…” said the timid boy.

 

    “I know you are hiding something. Don’t be nervous.”

 

Looking down in defeat, he walked towards and revealed a one rare, wildflower from his grasp. Soo blinked her eyes as she looked at him.

 

    “There was a wildflower here and…I wanted to bring this to you…” Little So explained as his two hands—that grabs the flower— reached towards her.

 

Looking at his wide, innocent eyes with his sweet gestures Soo felt like she was almost crying. What did the world done to this sweet little lad, giving him so much misery from his mother. Before So could say anything, Soo embraced the boy with her cheeks rubbing against his, thanking him.

 

    “If I grow up again, I will get another for you,” with genuine, cute smile he spoke, “if I grow up, I want to marry you!”

 

Soo was now crying, unable to resist little So’s sweetness.

 

    ‘Best day…EVER!!!!’

 

 

Epilogue:

 

Every prince turned back into their grown form, unable remember what happened. The only difference was Soo’s treatments toward them. She recently grew more affectionate to So, much to Yo, Wook, and Jung’s dismay. Although they were happy that she have become more attentive to everyone they wished she should have treated them more special as she did to So.

 

    “Wait, why does brother So has more pastries?” Eun wondered.

 

Looking at his pastries and tea set more refined then other brothers, he quickly dismissed the difference from the tenth prince.

 

    “I will give you all more snacks if you stop complain~!” Soo informed in sing-song tone.

 

Mu and Tae laughed heartily as other princes fumed. So glanced at her who flashed him a warm, motherly smile that reminded him of his mother’s before she scarred him. Fortunately, he had found someone who could fill him a great care and attention he seek the most.

 

 

Note:

In next chapter, Soo and others will meet a rather unwilling guest from Goryeo's enemy territory; Khitan.