The Child’s Play(?)

Everybody Loves Soo

[Summary: Soo told her friends and all the prince about Playing House where Soo got a role of “mother”. Most prince wants the “father” role and was quarrelling. So Soo decided to gave each of them five minutes of role as dad and rotate to a different role. Woo-Hee and Baek-Ah will get a role of neighbouring newlyweds. Chae-Ryung will get a role as “daughter” while Won gets a role as “son/older brother”. Slight OOC. Strong centric SoSoo and the rating might be T+, for some suggestive reason (Kids younger than 13 yrs old, GO AWAY!!!).]

“Playing house?” Eun asked.

Soo was explaining the a child play known as “Playing House” to her friends at the pavilion. Judging by all prince tilting their head on the same direction in confusion, Soo knew that they have never played it during their childhood.

“It’s a game, or a play children do. The girl gets a role as a mother, while a boy pretends to be a father. Rest of the kids will pretend to be either daughter, son, brother, sister, grandparents, parents’ friends, and so on.”

“I see…” Baek-Ah mused while glancing at Woo-Hee who had just humphed while blushing.

“That’s an interesting play.” The Crown Prince said, appeared out of nowhere.
“When did you came here?” Yo asked, slightly disturbed.

“I just came by and decided to join along since I have no task to do today.” The oldest said.

“I have a question,” Princess Yeon-Hwa asked, “can a girl allow to be a father or a brother?”

“Of course,” Soo smiled while answering, “so…let’s draw to see who becomes what.”

Soo held out a wooden case of rectangular papers, placed it on the center. Woo-Hee was the first to pick and unfolded it.

“It says I’m a bride of the neighbouring newlyweds.” Woo-Hee said, curious.

Baek-Ah picked the other paper and unfold it. As he read the texture, he smiled.
“I’m a groom of the neighbouring newlyweds.” He announced, much to Woo-Hee’s panic.

“Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new couple here~!” Soo announced with mischievous smile as she gave Woo-Hee a flower hairpin, the symbol of bride, while Baek-Ah got a silk scarf made by Soo, inspired by necktie.

They put it on, while blushing. Chae-Ryung picked one paper from the case.
“I’m a daughter here.” Chae-Ryung said.

It was Won’s turn as he unfolded his.

“I’m the oldest son.” Won said, slightly satisfied by the role he got.

“Soo, it’s your turn!” Eun exclaimed.

Soo was hesitating at first but eventually picked the red rectangular paper. She unfolded and her face got paled when reading.

“What does it says?” Soon-Duk asked.

They all looked at the paper.

“She’s a mother!” Jung yelled.

Wook smiled warmly at that. He imagined a vision of Soo, with her hair up in buns with accessories, holding a baby in a bundle with him as a husband would a dream he wished to achieve.

“Wait, if she’s a mother, who will be a father then?” Won wondered loudly.

That’s where the brothers had another greed. Just then, they saw the fourth prince entering, who came back from Songak.

“Good afternoon, sire~!” Soo greeted cheerfully.

So only smiled back at her.

“We were just choosing out roles for Playing House! You should join us!” Eun happily said.

Wang So tilted his head in confusion.

“Oh, uhh…it’s a small role-play where who becomes what as a family.” Soo explained.

“Soo’s got a role of a mother! We were about to choose who will be the father.” Baek-Ah added with a knowing smile at him.

So blinked his eyes. Imagining Soo as a mother would be a rather interesting view. Seeing her giving love and affection to a child and husband would be quite a wonderful thing to see. He was sure that Soo would be a great mother and So secretly wished he was the one who becomes a—

“I want that role, to be honest.” Jung confessed, while glancing at Soo.

So looked at his younger brother, Jung.

“Excuse me? I’m the one who will be a dad here!” Eun denied, pouting.

“Head of the family is a suiting role for me.” Yo claimed in a rather prideful tone.

The majority of the prince and Soo’s friends were arguing, unaware of their parents watching them. Yeon-Hwa frowned as she begins to intervene.
“I consider the fact that it is hardly fair when only men gets to become a father here.”

Soo attempted to calm the quarrel, but to no avail. Then, she had an idea.

“Here’s a deal,” She announced, “everyone gets a role as a father.”

They all stared at her.

“Of course we have to rotate a partner. I will pick who becomes a dad first and give each of you five minutes of time as a father. But when the time comes, another became a dad. Do we have a deal?”

All Wang siblings glanced at one another then agreed to her idea. Little did everyone knew, Choi Ji-Mong, the king, the queens, General Park, and Court Lady Oh was watching them, intrigued as they decide not to interfere and continue to watch them.

“Okay, so for now…” Soo inspected everyone then pointed at the youngest prince, “Prince Jung is the first.”

“YES!” Jung jumped in the air shouting victory.

Soo only smile as the others were sulking. She handed Jung blue silk scarf, indicating his role as a father. Chae-Ryung immediately feigned a little daughter’s act, making whining sound, while Won pretends to be her older brother. Soo pulls out a white apron and wears it, beginning the role-play.
Jung faked opening the door and greet his “wife”. Surprisingly, she put up a rather graceful, gentle demeanor.

“Welcome back, dear.” She greets him while holding her “daughter”, “how’s your training?”

“No big deal, uh…wife…I had a new techniques.” He feigned his martial art techniques, causing Soo to giggle.

“Good to hear then. Supper’s ready. Would you like to take bath first? Or supper?” She asked sweetly.

“I’d rather want to eat supper with you first~! I haven’t eat anything with you for a long time.” Jung smiled in a bashful behavior.

Soo blinked her eyes, unexpected with his answer but nonetheless smiled.

“Aww, sweetie! How thoughtful of you.”

Soon-Duk and Eun seemed surprised to see Jung doing a good job at his role. Even Woo-Hee and Baek-Ah was impressed with the process of the play.

“Wow, he’s good.” Eun wondered.

Wook and So’s expression went dark as they could feel the flowery senses around the two. Yo was more interested in seeing Soo being all graceful and punctuated, despite her usual lively and cheerful demeanor.
Then, Woo-Hee, who had a role of newlywed wife, appears.

“Hello, Lady Soo.”

“Oh hello~! How are you?” Soo, the mother, asked.

“Miserably happy as usual. Perfectly, thanks to a certain erted, flirtatious IDIOT husband of mine.” Woo-Hee glanced/glared at Baek-Ah who was grinning non-stop as the rest were giggling.

The process goes by and the five minutes had passed.

“Okay…the next is,” Soo glanced at Eun for a while, then pointed at the armed woman beside him, “your turn!”

Soon-Duk blinked her eyes, bewildered.

“M—me?!”

Soo smiled as she put the card around her neck.

“You can be a father who is a general. Just pretend you were back from war.” Soo assured.

Soon-Duk only nodded her head as she began to start on her act. Jung has a role of mother’s another son pretending to feed their “baby sister”, with Won. Soon-Duk coughed then feigned opening the door.

“Hon, I’m home!” Soon-Duk said, trying her best to make a masculine voice.
General Park’s lips were twitching from restrained laughter as the king laughed heartily with Choi Ji-Mong, who received a deadly glare from the grand general.
“Honey~, welcome back! I’ve missed you~” Soo ran and gave her ‘husband’ a hug, shocking the princes.

Soon-Duk was taken back by the embrace but reluctantly accepted it.

“I was so worried what might have happened to you~” Soo pouted, feigned the sobbing causing most of the viewers’ heart melt.

Soon-Duk swore if she was a man, she would have instantly fall for Hae Soo. The rest of the minutes gone by as a ‘general and his family’ role-play. Most of the princes was sure that if Soon-Duk was born as a man instead of woman, she would have been a perfect husband for Soo. Carefree, free-willed, and very protective even. Eun almost felt envious at Soon-Duk for the same reason but he hid it.

“Ay, if my little girl was born as a man, she would have been a one heck of a soldier.” General Park mused, sighing.

“Indeed. Though I’m scared if I have to deal with two strong men who hunts either wolves or bears.” Choi Ji-Mong muttered and king was laughing half-heartedly.

As Soon-Duk’s turn was done, Soo was once again having challenge with choosing the next. She glanced at the Princess then smiled.

“Princess Yeon-Hwa,” Soo called out, “would you like to have a try?”

The princess blinked her eyes, then she smiled.

“Of course,” She replied, “however, I would like to have one small change.”

Hae Soo tilted her head.

“I become a king and you, become a queen consort.”

The princes’ eyes were on two women. Soo’s eyes grow wide with her declaration, but she obliged as she handed the princess a scarf. Yeon-Hwa stared at the white apron with frown, then she took it off from her and placed one of her butterfly hairpin on her head.

“There,” Princess smiled with satisfaction, “much better.”

The role-play starts with Yeon-Hwa, as a king, back from the court meeting. Hae Soo, as a queen, asked her “king” what makes her upset. Chae-Ryung, Won, and Jung was remained as a role of the children, while Soon-Duk pretends as the queen’s bodyguard. The way Yeon-Hwa talks shocked the audiences. Even Queen Hwangbo and king was highly impressed. Yeon-Hwa’s mother wondered if Yeon-Hwa was born not as a princess, but as a prince, she would have been qualified as a next heir to throne.

Despite the role-play, Soo could feel that there was no atmosphere of love and care. So she made an idea. Soo smiled comfortingly then gave her a back-hug.

“Oh, my king’s all stressed because of his works~!”

Yeon-Hwa didn’t expected that as as she stood frozen. Little did her brothers knew, she inwardly wished she was born as a prince for another reason.

“Alright, alright! Role rotation!” Baek-Ah announced.

Soo pointed at Yo, much to lad’s joy. Queen Yoo seemed anticipating, wondering what kind of father he will be. Yo also insisted on the role of himself as a king while Soo remains as a queen. Expecting this, Soo only agreed. The play started with “king” and “queen” at their bed chambers with their “children”. Soo then formed an idea to get rid of awkward role-play and winked at Chae-Ryung. Chae-Ryung nodded her head and feigned wailing.

“Oh, what’s wrong, princess? Did mister thunder woke you up from your slumber?” She held her “daughter” as Yo flinched. He glared at Soo, but she smiled.

“Thunder scary. SO scary.” Jung added, faking a voice of a little boy.

“Agree, agree, agree.” Won added.

Soo motioned her “children” to scoot closer to her.

“Why don’t I sing a thunderstorm song?”

Yo was a bit confused at what she just said. Even the princes were curious and so did the rest of the ‘audiences’. Soo suddenly grabbed Yo’s hand and made a mischievous smile and begin singing the song:

“When you hear the sound of thunder,

don’t you get too scared,

just grab your thunder-friend,

and say this magic words…”

Then Soo held up her index finger on the sky, making an over-dramatically looking-down pose.

“Screw you, thunder!

you can kiss my !”

The princes burst out laughing with her friends. So was snickering as Wook was smiling at Soo’s silly, yet somewhat cute antics. The girls slammed their hand on the floor, unable to contain their laughter. The crown prince was laughing, finding the song interesting and funny. Court Lady Oh, Choi Ji-Mong, and General Park grinned in amusement. The queens were confused with the song as the king only smiled.

“You can’t get me, thunder,

‘Cause you’re just a demon’s fart!”

The song ends with Soo making a fart sound. Now, Yo begins to laugh along as Chae-Ryung, Jung, and Won was giggling. Yo always found Soo interesting from the moment when Soo headshot at Eun, caused a little prince to have a black eye.

“R—role, pfft, rot—rotation!” Baek-Ah announced while stifling his laughter.
Soo smiled, inwardly yelled ‘victory’. She glanced around then spotted fourth and eighth prince. She stared at them for a while then pointed at Wook. He smiled as So was slightly pouting, sulking in fact. But as a patient man, he decided to wait until his turn.

“I’d prefer to have a simple life as a family than a royalty.” Wook said as he knew Soo would also prefer the same.

“Okay then, here we go.”

The whole role-play started over as a scene where the mother helps the father prepare for the breakfast. The ‘brothers’ continued to feed their ‘baby sister’. The start was quite simple, but anyone could see that both Wook and Soo looked like a newlyweds. Baek-Ah and Woo-Hee was also watching.

“Good luck with the work….seobang-nim*…” Soo muttered shyly.

Wook was a bit surprised when she said that. But he was happy to hear it from her. It was as if they really become a married couple. So’s eyes grew dark, frowning but Baek-Ah tried to calm him. Soo, as a wife, helped Wook, the husband, preparing for his work. Wook stood still with expecting something.

“What?” Soo asked.

“Well, I’ve heard somewhere, that wife wishes her husband good luck,” Wook leaned forward, “with a kiss.”

Soo stood frozen, then her cheeks grow hot pink. She shyly held her head down, unable to see his eyes. So’s eyes were twitching, jealousy incarnating but luckily Baek-Ah was helping him control his temper. Wook raised his eyebrows at her.

“Well, if you won’t,” then he held Soo closer, “then I will.”

He grinned as he kissed on both of her cheeks. Most of the princes were glaring at the scene, obviously envying Wook for his action. What made So more riled was Soo’s reaction when Wook kissed her cheeks.

“Role rotation!” Baek-Ah announced as he pushed fourth prince towards her.
The princes were a bit nervous when it’s So’s turn. King, queens, General Park, Choi Ji-Mong, and Court lady Oh was a bit tensed when it comes to the fourth prince. Hae Soo knew So had never experienced of bonding with his parents so she tried her best help him understand to form of family by this play. This time there are two newlyweds: Eun with Soon-Duk and Baek-Ah with Woo-Hee. Both Soo and So was sitting across one another. Silence, took over the atmosphere.

“Umm, seobang-nim…? Did you have…a good sleep?”

So only nodded his head.

“Well, then…I should be ready for the breakfast…”

Baek-Ah face-palmed at the situation. He expected So would be very nervous with this. Even Chae-Ryung, Won, and Jung was tensed with awkwardness.

“Seobang-nim?” Soo called out, hoping he would respond.

“Stop.”

Hae Soo blinked her eyes.

“Excuse me?”

“Stop calling me that.” So demanded, frowning.

Sighed in irritation, Soo spoke up.

“Then what do you want me to call you?” Soo asked with her hands on her hips as she stood up tapping her one foot impatiently.

So made a thought then he stood up.

“Just call me…by my name.”

He concluded as he sat back. That was unexpected. Calling the prince by his name would be considered extremely…intimate. Baek-Ah and Woo-Hee glanced at one another with concern and so did Eun and Soon-Duk. Soo looked around to see anyone forming the face of disapproval but it seemed no ones’ stopping him. Groaned in defeat, she gave in.

“Alright, So.”

She heard a clank of the teacup So was holding. She looked at So then froze at what she just saw. Curious, the princes and others moved around to see So and was stiffened by his expressions.

His hand was shaking uncontrollably. His ears and cheeks were red as he bit his lips with anxiety, or more specifically, delight. His lips were trembling as his wolfish eyes were wide open with disbelief. Her voice calling him by his name rang in his mind and struck in his chest. It was the first time people get to see his unusually blushed expression. 

Soo almost found him odd, but at the same time cute. She swore if the fourth prince was born as a puppy, his tails would have been wildly wagging.

“Can you stop being quiet and blushing at the same time?”

Her voice brought him back as he jumped a little.

“My bad…it was a first time you call me by my name.”

She smiled at that.

“Then it is second time now, So.”

So looked at Soo, then smiled back. This time, he was smiling widely as an innocent little boy. Which was completely unusual from him. Choi Ji-Mong smiled as the queens blinked their eyes. The king was watching his fourth son and he had never seen him smiling so happily before. Then again, it was due to Hae Soo’s selfless and optimistic side that helped So at the first place.

The play continued as Soo, the mother, was talking with two newlyweds. So, with a role of father, informed his ‘wife’ he must go to work.

“Oh wait,” Soo stopped him and helped him with a scarf properly, “there now, sweetie. You’re ready now.”

So formed a small grin until he felt a hand on his head. Once again, Soo was surprising people with her hand So’s head as if she was comforting her child at the first day of school. So was blushing as her face was close from his with short distance. He felt he was reaching to a limit.

“Good luck on your work, darling—”

Before she could finish her sentence, So had done something very shocking that no one expected him to. So literally leaped forward with his hands on her cheeks and his lips collided to hers.

All the audiences were frozen, panicking. Woo-Hee, Soon-Duk, and Princess Yeon-Hwa was covering their opened mouth, while the princes were having a different reaction. Eun was blushing hard as he hid behind the pillar but peeking on them. The crown prince was clearly surprised yet at the same time, he was…amazed by So’s boldness. Wook was in shock, but jealousy invaded him and so did Yo as they were upset with the fact that So had stolen her “first kiss’, even though he already did long time ago. Won and Jung was covering Chae-Ryung’s eyes. Baek-Ah was blushing hard and looked away, yet he was secretly rooting for both So and Soo.

“Oh my god…” Woo-Hee, Soon-Duk, and Yeon-Hwa gasped simultaneously, shock never leave from their face.

“Siddhartha Buddha, are my eyes deceiving me now?” Crown Prince wondered.

“What is it?” Chae-Ryung said as her eyes were covered by two princes’ hand.

“Don’t watch baby-sis.” Jung said keeping his character.

“Too yucky, me no likey.” Won added who also keep in-character.

Even the king, queens, Choi Ji-Mong, General Park, Court Lady Oh was taken back by fourth prince’s sudden change of his behavior. Court Lady Oh felt the maternal instincts kicked in, commanding her to stop the prince from ‘ruining’ her daughter-figure. Choi Ji-Mong looked away in embarrassment as General Park amusingly whistled. The queens, especially Queen Yoo, hung their mouth open as king’s eyes grew wide, then chuckled confirming that his fourth son had found himself a soulmate.

“Ay, young love.” Choi Ji-Mong mused dramatically as he looked at the scene with his eyes covered by his hand.

“Indeed,” General Park added as King stared at him, “I didn’t teach him that!”

Both So and Soo were on the floor, clearly making out. His eyes were closed as so did Soo’s. Then So’s two hands were grabbing on hers to prevent them from pushing him. This time, the kiss had grown more intense and passionate. He nibbled and on her upper and lower lips, causing her lips to part for the air. And taking this as an opportunity, he her lips and devoured for more. His opened eyes were darkened with unrestrained love and lust. With her one arm stretched out as if asking for the rescue, Soo was resisting it just like she had, but since her relationship with Wook was already faltered long ago, her lingering feelings for the fourth prince replaced her broken heart. Her arms slowly embraced his waist, allowing him to continue and reciprocating his love and lust. The pavilion was filled with kissing sounds, including the frozen audiences as it continues for the rest of two minutes.

After two minutes, he stood up with satisfying smile and waved his hand to Soo, about to leave the pavilion. He stops by as he was close to Wook and Yo, whose eyes were glaring jealously at him. So smirked, flashing his white wolfish smile, raising his one eyebrow with arrogance.

“Jealous?”

Wook’s lips twitched as he provoked him. So tapped their shoulders and glanced at Baek-Ah.

“That’s for what happened few weeks ago*.”

And so, he left the pavilion with smile of victory.

 

Meanwhile, with the princes….

“WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!” Jung shouted angrily, upset that So took a chance with kissing his first crush.

“I knew it…I KNEW IT!!!! He was a goddamn SAVAGE BEAST from the first place!!!” Yo screamed in wrath.

“Am I the only one freaked out?” Eun asked Soon-Duk.

“No, sire…” Soon-Duk admitted as she didn’t know how So felt about Soo.

“Oh my…” Princess Yeon-Hwa was speechless as she excused herself to her chamber to go lay down.

“And WHAT’S WITH THE TONGUES AND STUFF ANYWAY?!” Won literally shrieked.

“I can’t breathe! I’m SO EXCITED I CAN’T BREATHE!!!” Baek-Ah yelled as he walked away, much to Woo-Hee’s annoyance with his obsession with hooking up So and Soo.

Won and Jung let go off their hand from Chae-Ryung’s eyes. Chae-Ryung was obviously blushing, despite the fact she couldn’t get to see what happened for the last two minutes and thirty seconds. Soon-Duk assured Eun it was done as Woo-Hee walked over to Soo who just sit up, her cheeks were feverishly red.

“Mommy Soo? Are you alright?” Woo-Hee asked.

Soo covered her lips with her hand, blushes never faded. Instead, it grew more redder.

“Umm, Soo?” Woo-Hee was clearly worried.

After thirty second, Soo managed to speak.

“I swear to Buddha, I just saw a glimpse of a whole new world…”
Since then, everybody swore they will keep the whole situation as a secret. Soo was technically avoiding So, but not for long as she got a letter from him written that he will do the same thing again if she avoids him. Sighed in defeat, Soo laid down. Much oblivious to anyone, the smile was formed on her face.

 

*: Seobang-nim is an archaic, formal word from Korea where women refers their husband as.
*: So was referring to the first chapter where Baek-Ah kissed drunk Soo to provoke his brothers.