The Visiting Royalty

Everybody Loves Soo

[Soo and others meet an unlikely guest came all the way from Goryeo’s enemy territory. The guest is no other than the prince from Khitan who came to seek for temporary alliance in behalf of Emperor Taizong, his father.]

 

The young leaders of Hae Clan stood in front of throne. King Taejo was reading a scroll delivered from Khitan with grim expression. The message was delivered from Khitan Ambassador and was written by Emperor Taizong, explaining that his eldest son will come to Goryeo for temporary alliance for Hong Hwa-Jin’s death cut the ties with them. No doubt, Hae Yoon ordered his household to cease the trade with Khitan to prove their clan’s loyalty to Goryeo.

 

    “I see…so the Khitan requests for temporary alliance. The emperor’s son is already on his way to come here…” Taejo sighed.

 

    “What should we do then, your majesty?” Hae Yoon asked.

 

Inhaling and exhaling heavily while contemplating, Taejo looked determined.

 

    “You have cut your ties with Khitan, are you prepared for the responsibility and consequences of your decision?” The king asked.

 

With the question, Yoon formed a reserved smile.

 

    “We’ve already made our bedroom and we shall lie on it.” Yoon spoke with grin.

 

Meanwhile, Hae Weol and Han glanced at one another, concerned for their certain beloved cousin who works as a palace maid in Damiwon.

 

 

In Damiwon, Court Lady Oh directed all court ladies to organize the Damiwon in no time. For the guest will come within a day. However, the senior court lady was most likely concerned for Hae Soo who was talking to Chae-Ryung, Woo-Hee, Soon-Duk, and Princess Yeon-Hwa.

 

Four ladies were talking about the guest for they heard such rumors about prince of Khitan. Curious as usual, Hae Soo asked them what kind of person he is.

 

    “I heard that Prince Jing is around same age as Prince Baek-Ah.” Woo-Hee informed as she squinted her eyebrows.

 

    “It was rumored that he enjoys hunting.” Soon-Duk added with uncertainty.

 

    “I heard he went to battlefield against Northern Han,” Yeon-Hwa explained with a frown, “also he possesses quite a violent temper.”

 

    “What was the prince’s name again?” Soo asked.

 

    “Yelü Jing.” Yeon-Hwa replied.

 

Yelü Jing (야율경)…somehow Soo finds the name so familiar. She recalled her old memories from 21st century back when she was a student, learning the East Asian histories. Brushing off the memory, she thanked the ladies for giving her some information. Bidding goodbye to one another, Soo went back to work and met her cousins.

 

    “Hello, Soo,” Yoon greeted with bright smile, “or should I call you, Hae Sang-gung?”

 

Soo smiled and greeted her cousins politely.

 

    “Hello, Yoon…,” then she noticed the grim expression from her other cousins behind her eldest one, “is something wrong?”

 

Weol and Han glanced at her with reassuring smile.

 

    “Oh, nothing…we were just exhausted…” Weol lied with grin.

 

    “Perhaps, taking a rest would be the best…” Han added with unsure smile.

 

Even though Soo had caught their lie, she decided not to bring up the topic. Yoon gestured Weol and Han to leave for their chamber as they all said their goodbye to her. She was aware with the fact that they must have discussed some matters with the involvement of Khitan. As much as she was curious of how did the Prince of Liao Dynasty Khitan looked like, she decided to take the matter for tomorrow.

 

    “Let’s go back to work.” Soo directed the other court ladies and they all went inside Damiwon to finish organize the surrounding.

 

 

Another day started and the throne room was filled with anxiety. As the king stood still on his throne, his sons and daughters were stood along with ministers and officials. Choi Ji-Mong inwardly sighed. Hae Soo stood with her cousins. Due to the fact that she was Yoon’s cousin, she was wearing a refined hanbok with light colors with white gold hairpins lend by Princess Yeon-Hwa. Noticing her nervous expression, So gently grabbed her hand to reassure her much to Weol and Han’s dismay.

 

Then, the envoy from Khitan arrived, announcing the arrival of their prince. The door of throne room slowly, revealing a tall, young man with dark royal Khitan attire. His long black hair was tied back with few bangs unruly. His eyes were fierce but maintaining composures with charming grin. Cheekbones, sharp eyebrows he looked a bit foreign for Khitan prince. With reserved demeanor, he bowed slightly to King Taejo.

 

    “Prince Jing greets to the king of Goryeo.”

 

The Khitan Prince spoke with debonair voice. Despite his age no older than Baek-Ah, his voice and looks were mature as grown man. Soo inwardly breathe in to prevent the anxiety she felt.

 

    “Welcome, Prince Yelü Jing of Khitan.” Taejo greeted with hospitality.

 

Prince Jing flashed his political, prim smile that reveals his dimple until he saw Hae Clan. Yoon brought his forced smile along with Weol and Han. Khitan Prince then moved his gaze towards their cousin Hae Soo who seemed taken back at his eyes. Soo was alarmed with Prince Jing’s smirk but all of sudden, the flash of vision appeared of him in Khitan Emperor’s robe with dark eyes and cruel smile. Her eyes were wide a little even after her vision was gone.

 

    ‘Muzong…’ Soo mused in thought.

 

She finally remembered. Emperor Muzong of Khitan. Soo remembered her study from 21st century, learned the history of infamous Khitan Emperor. There was a history written where Shizong was assassinated and Jing was crowned as the next emperor. Muzong was notorious for his interest of hunting, and for his violent, aggressive temper he executed the officials who tried to overthrow him from the throne or commit treason. Although Wang So has a fate of becoming the most powerful king of Goryeo beside his father, Prince Jing is not likely a man to be underestimated. The history textbook has told nothing about Emperor Muzong’s intention with Goryeo—which was a relief—but seeing Prince Jing made Soo wished the whole remained as what the textbook has taught her.

 

Hae Soo was in the kitchen to grind the herbs and brewing teas, until she heard couple of court ladies with Chae-Ryung approaching to her with apprehensive look.

 

    “What’s wrong?” Soo asked.

 

Two court ladies glanced at one another in concern and anxiety.

 

    “Your cousin asks for your presence.” Chae-Ryung explained quickly.

 

Stopping from her works and let Chae-Ryung takes it over, Soo walked towards the guest room where her cousins wait for her. When the door was opened for her, she could see her older cousins on their seats with the man sitting across them was Khitan Prince who was now glancing at her way by the sound of door opened.

 

    “Come in, Soo.” Yoon’s gentle, but commanding tone had her enter the room.

 

Hae Soo obliged her cousin’s words and bowed slightly to her cousins and Prince Jing.

 

    “Prince Jing, she’s our cousin Hae Soo,” Weol managed to introduce his cousin, “she is also a senior court lady of Damiwon.”

 

Khitan prince glanced intently at her. 

 

    “Oh, I’ve heard some deals about you…,” Prince Jing said, “you refused to marry off to the king and become a court lady…”

 

Soo was a bit surprised at Jing’s information of her exploited with no hesitation. Remained in her calm self, she admitted.

 

    “Yes. I did.” She spoke with no fear.

 

Prince Jing blinked his eyes at her somewhat defiant demeanor. The eunuch then came and told Soo’s cousins for their presence at Cheondeokjeon. As they all left, Soo released her full force to either confront the prince or have a casual talk with him.

 

    “I also learned that you are skilled with cosmetics, herbs, and brewing teas,” he continued as he glanced at her, “do you enjoy your life in palace?”

 

In all honesty, Soo was happy to support and help people she loves. But on the other hand, she knew there are so many selfish, greedy figures lurking in the palace craving to wear the robe of celestial being.

 

As if knowing her thoughts, Prince of Khitan giggled.

 

    “It is a long journey, achieving to protect your people from the dark place,” he spoke, caught her attention, “but I could see the princes and others being very fond of you.”

 

Soo looked up and saw good-natured smile from Khitan Prince. It was unlikely to see such a rare smile from the infamous prince well-known for his cruel temper. Now that she took a closer look, Prince Jing was generally a good-looking man with foreign atmosphere despite being a nomadic man from Northeast Asia. He has a rather unique eye color of combination between dark azure and amber. His face structure was generally mature-looking as his smile formed a dimples. But, she could also see a light scars on his hands and neck as she guessed he enjoys hunting or any sports that are too risky.

 

    “Well, you will also enjoy the sports in Goryeo as I could see you enjoy them back in Khitan.” Soo formed a smile.

 

Prince Jing’s eyes opened slightly wide wondering how she figured out his interest for the hunting and sports. Then, laughed heartily, let himself grew more interested in her.

 

    “You are an interesting woman who have a heart enormous enough to talk back.” Prince Jing admitted as Soo realized what she had just said.

 

She only pouted, inwardly face-palmed herself for her boldness kicked in. Her sudden change of expressions made Prince Jing smile, stifling his laughter as he found her attitude cute.

 

Little did they knew, outside the guest room seven princes and ladies were peeking in from the bushes with one of Ji-Mong’s invention it called binoculars. Eun was holding it as younger princes kept asking him what Soo and the prince Jing were talking about.

 

    “I cannot hear what are they saying, but they seem to have a good time!” Eun replied bitterly as he watches.

 

    “Anything else?” Jung asked.

 

    “Well…I see they are laughed at whatever they are talking about and…” then Eun’s eyes grew wide, “oh god, they are now going to pavilion…!”

 

    “For the Buddhist’s sake…” Jung muttered as he let go, causing Eun to fall.

 

    “I hope that Prince of Khitan not doing anything to her…” Mu worriedly spoke.

 

    “Trust our lady, Crown Prince,” Chae-Ryung spoke assuringly, “she’s very independent woman. She can take care of herself.”

 

    “But we are talking about Prince Jing of Khitan,” Yeon-Hwa added, “who knows if he would ask for her to king…”

 

The princess’s guess caused the princes go tense. For some reason, they all could see how Soo can charm everyone she meets. Wook and So frowned at the thought of having additional competition when it comes to her.

 

Soo and prince Jing was at pavilion. She was telling him her life in palace and so did he with his life at Khitan. Hearing such boyish side from presumably cruel prince was unlikely but refreshing to her and she guessed she shouldn’t have believed in rumors.

 

    “Interesting…so in Hong Hwa-Jin, your clan seems to know such tales.” Prince Jing grinned.

 

    “Well, I was the only one who learned the fairytales… I sometimes tell them to princes.” Soo said with nostalgic smile.

 

    “Your life in palace sounds peaceful. Unlike in Khitan…we have plenty of ambitious women with strong will to survive,” then he glanced at her, “what do you think of princess Yeon-Hwa?”

 

Soo blinked her eyes twice at him. Then, she giggled.

 

    “You want me to badmouth her or what?” She asked sarcastically.

 

    “I just want to hear your thoughts of her.” Prince Jing said.

 

Both Soo and Prince Jing was aware of Yeon-Hwa’s ambitions and the history of her family as a victim of Queen Yoo’s schemes and traps. With saddened, but small smile Soo replied.

 

    “She is very ambitious, for she regrets to be born as a woman. But she is very intelligent and knows politics more than me. It is just my prediction, but someday she will have strong capacity in future.”

 

Satisfied with her reply, Khitan Prince smiled.

 

    “You seemed to know how to judge people.”

 

    “Still, she have become involved with the palace’s cruel intentions. My cousin once told me, she was once a sweet girl.”

 

    “So you somehow pity her?” Jing asked as he raised his brow.

 

    “No,” Soo smiled, “I understand her.”

 

Prince Jing stared at the woman with wide eyes. Among the women, Hae Soo was modest and intelligent one. She was aware of palace’s secrets, yet she doesn’t use them for her advantage. Looking at her doe-like eyes, he laughed heartily.

 

    “You sure are unique one, Soo.”

 

Soo wasn’t sure if she could take it as a compliment but she saw darker shades of his eyes glowing enigmatically. And she swore his eyes reminded her of Wook, or So.

 

And just in time, Chae-Ryung called out for Court Lady Hae.

 

    “Milady,” Chae-Ryung spoke, “the princes want to see you.”

 

Nodding her head, Soo stood and and bowed slightly to Prince Jing.

 

    “I’m very sorry, your highness…duty calls.”

 

With good-natured smile, Prince Jing nodded his head letting her and her servant follow. His smile turned into a dangerous and somewhat fond one.

 

    “Very unique…,” he thought, “for I wouldn’t miss my prey for a world.”

 

 

Soo approached to Damiwon.

 

    “Greetings, princes…” Soo greeted.

 

    “SOO-YAH! Are you okay? Did something happened?” Eun asked nonstop.

 

    “I’m alright…” Soo replied, tilting her head.

 

    “We were worried sick,” Soon-Duk chimed in, “you spent several hours assisting the Khitan Prince and we thought there might be something wrong.”

 

    “Don’t worry, everyone,” the court lady smiled reassuringly, “what could possibly go wrong?”

 

    “I was afraid you would say that.” So muttered.

 

 

 

Another day rose and in the throne room, King Taejo, Soo’s cousins, princes, the ladies, and Prince Jing was presented as they were discussing about the alliance. Court ladies—exception of Soo—were serving them teas and pastries.

 

    “Soon, I will be returning to Khitan. It would be such a delight to announce our alliance to Emperor Taizong.” Khitan Prince grinned.

 

Taejo looked at Prince Jing who seemed to be a good mood.

 

    “I assume we are having a same matter in thought?”

 

Prince Jing smiled.

 

    “Perhaps. What better way to strengthen an alliance between two empires, if not wedlock.”

 

Princes briefly glanced at one another, feeling apprehensive. So and Wook made a darkening expressions. Jung and Eun looked at Baek-Ah, looking concerned. Hae clan leader Yoon frowned as Weol and Han secretly clenched their fist in anxiety.

 

    “Does your father, Emperor Taizong wants a princess married off to Khitan?” King Taejo asked.

 

    “I must admit he would have told me if he think of it, but then again…I think otherwise.”

 

The king squinted his eyes slightly and Ji-Mong looked at Khitan prince nervously.

 

    “What do you propose?” Taejo inquired again.

 

Prince Yelü Jing take a brief glance at the princes, princesses, and the Hae clans. So and Wook stared at him with grim eyes. Yo and Mu looked unnerved as younger princes were a bit intimidated by his eyes. Then, he smiled.

 

    “I’m asking for Court Lady Hae.”

 

Court Lady Oh’s eyes were briefly wide. Princes looked shocked as Mu and Baek-Ah stared at the prince of Khitan with bothered look. Yo glared as Won inwardly lost his consciousness. Chae-Ryung was literally worried for her lady as Yeon-Hwa and Woo-Hee glanced at the door hoping Soo wouldn’t hear any of it. Eun and Soon-Duk was also surprised as Jung was holding back his anger and distress.

 

Biting his lips, Yoon spoke.

 

    “Why her? She barely knows you.”

 

Prince Jing grinned.

 

    “The world is spinning and men will grow as a fool as we need intelligent and wise women to guide us. She’s from noble birth, from your family. It doesn’t matter anymore since she was proven to be quite…dear to you and all who know her.”

 

The king looked at the prince with indifferent look but his eyes were almost cold.

 

    “Do you intend to keep the official’s heiress as hostage?” Taejo asked, his voice were raised with rising anger.

 

Despite the officials intimidated by the king’s impending wrath, Yelü Jing remained composed.

 

    “In all honesty, your majesty…,” then his eyes grew fond for the court lady, “I have forgotten so long, of the fact, that I have a heart of a man. She have become dear to me also.”

 

So and Wook swore they would wish they could slash the Khitan Prince’s throat. ‘Why is it that everyone wants to have her?’ All prince and the ladies thought in unison, feared for her life. Knowing the intention the prince have for the girl who Taejo also think of as his daughter, turned to Hae clans.

 

    “You should ask Hae Yoon of Hong Hwa-Jin.”

 

Prince Jing glanced at the leader of Hae clan for he had a complete control of deciding Soo’s fate. Yoon made a feign smile, but he spoke in a stern mood.

 

    “I’m sorry, your highness,” he spoke to Yelü Jing, “but you cannot marry my cousin.”

 

Yelü Jing’s smiled slightly faded, disappointed with the refusal by quickly reverted back to his prim smirk. Satisfied with Hae leader’s reply, the king turned to Khitan Prince.

 

    “Well…it is settled. Arranged alliance is all we need.” King Taejo said with smile.

 

All princes grinned victoriously as the ladies sighed in relief.

 

    “Perhaps…” Prince Jing said, “well, I understand. Although next time..I will not be the only one to go back alone.”

 

The Prince Jing dismissed himself politely and marched out of throne room.

 

Meanwhile, Soo was brewing teas and baking pastries. She heard the footsteps from outside Damiwon and she walked outside, only to be attacked by hugs from princes and her friends which caused her to grow confused. Since So was the one to embrace her first.

 

    “What’s wrong?” Soo questioned, “something happened?”

 

    “…nothing…” So muttered.

 

    “just happy…” Baek-Ah added with gleeful look.

 

Ignoring her curiosity and bewilderment, she hugged them all with smile. Like a mother embracing her children. Watching them from afar, Crown Prince, King Taejo, Choi Ji-Mong, and Court Lady Oh smiled.