01

Fantasy⑯
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I remembered hearing the trainees from inside the practice stage room to the hallway of the SM company. 

I had the heels of my feet and took a few turns to the left. I'd memorized this place being here for so long that I could walk with my eyes closed. But that would cause inconvenience for the other trainees lingering around 

If it weren't for Yerim giving me the wrong direction to where the trainee meeting was, I would have been there on time. Room 180 was on the other side of her so called "directions".

I pulled open the practice stage floor to be filled with other trainees. I sighed in relief with two minutes to spare. 

"Nayoung!" EunB waved over through the crowd of people.

I skimmed through the crowd. There were not only trainees but other SM artists and the just debuted groups of NBC? NTC, something like that.

Emerged in my own fantasy, I might have accidentally knocked someone back. 

He had brown hair and brown eyes but not much taller than I am. He bent his head forward a bit, seemingly to bow.

I left a gush of wind passing him by. It was a habit, a bad habit of not apologizing. I'm sorry.

I could feel his eyes bore straight through my back sending shivers down my spine. Was he really that desperate for an apology? I ignored him and continued walking between the small space the people left for me to pass through.

Yerim covered when her eyes darted across me. "Unnie, I'm sorry." 

"Don't talk to me." I sat beside her. 

She wrapped her arms around my shoulders and laughed. "Don't expect anything the next time."

EunB shook her head at us. "I'm growing older but I feel like you guys are getting younger." 

"Sad life, huh?" Jinah joined.

"Where are the others?" I asked referring to the twelve that trained altogether in a room with us. 

"Beats me." Jinah sighed. "Minji said this was a pointless meeting, Haeun had something to do, I don't think So Eun knows we're here. I don't know about the others." 

The speakers squeaked and the founder of SM himself stood on the stage. "Welcome trainees and artists." 

I tuned out as soon as he started speaking. I closed my eyes and crossed my arms until the word "debut" crossed my mind.

My eyes shot open and till then I actually started paying attention.

"As you know, we will be forming our first survival show." Lee Sooman spoke into the microphone.

My insides perked up. Survival show? No one had ever informed me about this. I whipped my head towards Jinah but she was too immersed in what she's hearing.

"Congratulations to the following." He began to read off of a piece of paper. One by one, Yerim and EunB were called. 

Even Minji and the others somehow found their way here to get called. How lucky.

I could feel my sweaty hands against my shorts. They'll call my name, I'd be up on stage. I gripped onto the chair for my dear life. I only found a way to loosen up with the call of my name. "Lastly, Im Nayoung."

I breathed out. I didn't realize that I had been holding my breath the whole time. Shakily, I made my way up to the stage facing the entire crowd of trainees I've seen for years, months or even days and artists I've seen ever since I was little.

"Please congratulate them. This will be the beginning of their career and hopefully not the last. I look forward to how this finalized girl group will turn out. We wish you all good luck." Sooman clapped which the audience followed in suit.

My eyes traveled to the same guy I bumped into a few minutes ago. He was already staring back straight into my eyes. His stare was firm as if he's staring right into my soul. 

Mesmerized by his eyes I seemed to have forgotten that time was still moving.

"-oung Nayoung!" Mina gestured me to come off the stage. "Let's go."

It took me three seconds to comprehend that the trainees and artists were gone and out the door. 

"What were you looking at?" Yubin asked.

Taken back, I replied. "Nothing."

-

I couldn't stop thinking about the mysterious guy. His eyes, his piercing eyes reappeared over and over in my mind.

I entered the practice room Jinah had told me to meet her and the others at. Whatever trick the guy was trying to pull, I still have a my career to pursue. 

"Oh, Nayoung you're here." Minji greeted in her own way. "We couldn't get an empty practice room today so we're going to share it with NTC, Neo something technology or whatever. Hope you don't mind." She lead me in the room.

That's what I liked about Minji. She was carefree and simple-minded very much to my liking as a friend.

I could see the other 14 in one corner while the NTC, TCN?ーNCT group took up the whole room. 

Did one group really need that many people? I know we have sixteen but they seemed to have 3x more members than we do.

I stopped in my tracks when I spotted that very same guy with the piercing eyesーlegs sprawled out with his hands behind him.

He seemed to have noticed my presence before tilting his head back locking eyes with me.

What's up with this guy? I looked away or this would've turned into a huge misunderstanding.

Still, I could feel his eyes follow my every move. 

"Unnie, let's introduce ourselves." Minzy nudged EunB.

I mentally begged her to say no because one, I hate meeting new people, two, I don't want to reveal my identity to someone in that group which may already be obvious.

"Good idea."

I slapped myself lightly in the face when no one was looking. Great, the two things I want to avoid.

EunB gathered everyone up while I stayed sitting hoping she wouldn't see me which wasn't too hard when she started greeting the Nct group.

"You guys must be from the new survival group 'Fantasy' am I correct?" The guy who introduced himself as 'Taeyong' smiled.

"Yes, it's nice to meet you. Nct right?" EunB copied their greeting.

Minji snapped her fingers. "I knew they were called Nct." She whispered.

"We thought since we're going to share the same room from now on, we should introduce ourselves." Hayoung said.

I pulled on Minji's leg. She turned and mouthed a 'I didn't know either we were going to share the room with them till the end' and shrugged.

Who isn't telling me the information I need to know? First about the survival show, and now this.

I leaned against the mirror remembering what I was in the company for.

As long as I can debut, it's all good.

I shook the thought off and sighed at their poor attempt to create nicknames for each other.

T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter