2. Powder (Jinkook)

31 Days of December

It was a weird decision to become a nail artist once Seokjin left college. Everyone thought he would be a fantastic lawyer from how he aced all his business classes but when he came home with an official license to do nails and a prime location to have his nail studio, they had been stumped. Seokjin smiled, his pink hair falling into his eyes, not even bothering to explain how he got into nails but he did show off his skills with his older sister. He had done her nails beautifully. He had used pink and purple acrylic and a nice chunky silver glitter, even putting a cute little diamond on her ring finger as an accent nail. She loved them and at every opportunity, she bragged about her baby brother to everyone. 

Seokjin had a place to have his salon, he had the permits and he had two other technicians to help him. He even had his good looks to help out. He made money by doing some cases as a lawyer to help buy supplies because Seokjin liked to be very stocked up in case there was a new trend on the market. Seokjin loved buying all different kinds of brands, even thinking about making his own brand of acrylics in the future. But for now, he focused on the main reason he had started his own nail business. 

Back in his third year of college, he had joined his friend Minah on her shopping spree which meant he had to join her as she was getting her nails done. He passed on getting a manicure but did get himself a pedicure. As he was playing on his phone, Minah had nudged him with her elbow, pointing to a really hot guy getting his nails done. 

“Isn't he hot? Look he's getting coffin shaped nails! Isn't that hot?”

And it was. Seokjin liked the way the guy's fingers were accented by the matte black coffin nails. Not too short and not too long, Seokjin could imagine them against his skin. His eyes moved from the guy's nails and glanced up at the guy's face, liking how adorable he looked. Seokjin wanted to go over and talk to him but he was stuck while the lady in front of him was massaging his feet. If the guy was still here when Minah finished getting his nails done, he would go ahead and try to get to know him. Seokjin went back to playing with his phone, not noticing the guy briefly looking over and getting teased by the lady attending him. Minah did notice though and chuckled, Seokjin seemed to attract people without knowing it, if only she could do that. 

Unfortunately the guy left before Minah's nails were done but Seokjin was told from one of the girls working there that Jungkook (what a name) came about every three weeks, to get his nails filled in. That was a lot of work so Seokjin debated on whether he would come back or not. But as the days went on, he couldn't stop thinking of matte black nails. So he gave in and went to the nail salon to camp out. He obviously couldn't stay for free so he got another pedicure. He closed his eyes as his feet were massaged. He actually needed this, his feet had been swollen for a couple of days since he had been on his feet non stop. He didn't notice the hot guy from weeks ago coming in and smiling at Seokjin before sitting down and letting someone start on his nails. Seokjin stretched his arms and checked his phone, glancing up only to freeze at the sight of the hot guy. This was his chance but did he want to chat up some random stranger? He could be a murderer for all Seokjin knew. 

Seokjin sighed and just decided to just take a picture of the guy, pretending to taking a selfie. He knew he was being a coward but he couldn't help it. He usually had trouble talking to cute boys. He waited until his pedicure was done and he paid for it, just leaving right after. Seokjin told himself he wasn't going to come back and when he told Minah this, she had a brilliant idea. Start a nail salon and maybe Jungkook would come and maybe he would be able to gather up the courage to talk to him. So he learned how do nails, using all his free time to practice. He took classes, making sure he tried many many brands and soon, he knew what he was doing. 

So now, watching Yoongi and Taehyung do their work, Seokjin felt proud. He loved doing nails, his favorite part was finding new brands to work with. He almost forgot why he did all this but when he saw Jungkook come through his front door, looking around, Seokjin felt confident enough to finally talk to him. Seokjin watched him come up the the welcome counter, his eyes making contact with Seokjin's. He gave Jungkook a big smile, “Hello, welcome to Beautiful Genie. How can I help you?”

Jungkook smiled, “I heard that this was the hottest nail salon around the block so I came to see if it was true. I was told to ask for a 'Seokjin' since he had the magic touch.”

Seokjin chuckled, “Well I didn't know that I had the magic touch but I'll see what I can do. Is there a particular design you want?” Seokjin led him to his worktable, offering him a bottle of water. Seokjin pulled out a face mask and looked at Jungkook's nails, liking how neat they were. Jungkook shrugged his shoulders, “Not really. I just want something y.”

Seokjin nodded, “Alright. Go ahead and wash your hands in washroom. It's down that hallway and to your left.”

While Jungkook left to wash his hands, Seokjin went ahead and started pulling small little jars of product out from his work cabinet. He thought about doing a coffin or almond nail, red and black themed nails with studs at the base of the nail. He debated between gel and acrylic nails before sticking with acrylic. He sat back down and smiled at Jungkook, “Ready?”

Jungkook gave Seokjin his hands, leaning forward a little bit. “Ready.”

Seokjin got to work. He got rid of any leftover product Jungkook had on his nails with a drill bit, grabbing his primers and such, making sure he got to each finger. He started with Jungkook's pointer finger, picking up a bead of beige and worked on shaping the nail. “Coffin or Almond?” Jungkook tilted his head, biting his lip as he thought it over. Finally he chose, “Almond seems nice.”

Seokjin nodded and made nail, making sure he made it stable so it wouldn't break. He moved onto Jungkook's middle finger, only going back to Jungkook's pointer finger to put a pincher on it. He got a large bead of red acrylic and crafted a nail out of it. The ring finger was all black and the pinky was beige like the pointer finger. The thumb was completely black as well. In the beige fingers, Seokjin made a red and black checkered pattern, while on the red nails he covered them with some gold studs at the base of the nails. Lastly he added a chrome pigment to the black nails, liking how it became reflective. He added a gel top coat to each nail and had Jungkook cure his nails in a LED lamp. 

Jungkook looked at his nails and loved them. It was like Seokjin put Jungkook's personalty on his nails. He paid for his nails and looked at the business card Seokjin gave him to make appointments with. Jungkook finally took the plunge and asked for another business card, writing his number on the back of it and gave it to Seokjin. Jungkook winked at Seokjin, “Call me. Maybe this time we can go out for coffee instead of giving each other looks in a nail salon.”

Seokjin blushed, “Sure. How about this Friday? At 4?”

Jungkook nodded, “Sounds good to me. See you then.” He left the salon with a backwards glance at Seokjin, who was clenching Jungkook's number in his hands. He couldn't wait to tell Minah that he finally talked to Jungkook. All it took was becoming a nail artist to finally gather the courage.