10. Strength (Daejae)

31 Days of December

The alarm came around one, as they were just sitting down to start eating. Youngjae jumped up, shoving his sandwich into his mouth and following Himchan to put on his gear. He swallowed his bite as he shoved on the fire repellent boot and suit, making sure everything was working before getting in the passenger seat of the firetruck. Youngjae knew that Himchan could drive better than him so he let him navigate to where their alarm told them the house fire was. Youngjae realized, with a heavy heart, that he was near his parent's home. He hoped the fire wouldn't spread quickly and as Himchan parked their truck at an angle, Youngjae jumped out and started gathering the water hose. Himchan connected it to a nearby fire hydrant and when Yongguk came to take his spot, Youngjae prepared himself to enter the home. He was the smallest and quickest of the firefighters so once Himchan and Yongguk put out some flames near the door, he forced himself in. 

“Hello! Is anyone there?”

Youngjae couldn't hear anyone but that didn't mean anything. Someone could be passed out on smoke. He searched the kitchen and living quickly, finding only the sad remains of a dog. Youngjae kicked through a bathroom door but got nothing. The first bedroom had a good amount of fire damage and Youngjae briefly liked how it was decorated before moving on. Youngjae hoped the farthest bedroom had the least amount of fire damage and thankfully it did. He opened the door and panicked a little bit when he found a young man laying in a bed. The window was too high and small for Youngjae to pick him up and leave from, so he checked to see if he was still breathing. Youngjae saw a rising and falling chest and it gave him hope. 

He shoved an air mask on the young man and covered him in a fire blanket before remembering that the other bedroom had a big window. He cursed whoever made this house as he ran to the other room and broke through the window. He brushed off the glass off the man and moved quickly to a nearby ambulance, passing him off to a medic. He jogged over to Himchan, pulling down his mask, 

“It's clear. Nobody left.”

Himchan nodded and they blasted the house with even more water. The fire eventually died down and Youngjae let himself get checked out by a paramedic, who made sure he didn't inhale too much smoke. He asked about the man, wondering if he was fine. The medic waved him off, “He's doing fine. Inhaled a little too much smoke but he'll recover. He's asking to see you.”

Youngjae raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. The guy probably wanted to thank him for saving his life or maybe find out what happened to his dog. Youngjae winced, he didn't like giving bad news to people. He got up from his seat from the floor of the curb and went over to the ambulance. Youngjae peeked inside and smiled when he saw the young man connected to a machine. Youngjae winced at his roughed up clothes and coughed to get his attention. The eyes that locked on his body were wide and expressive, his teeth nibbling on his lip. “Are you the firefighter that saved me?”

Youngjae shrugged his shoulders. “All I did was take you out of the house. My coworkers took the fire down.”

The man blinked before chuckled, “So modest. Could I get the name of my savior?”

“Youngjae and yours?”

the man grinned, “Daehyun.”

Youngjae nodded, about to say Daehyun had a nice name before he heard his name be called. He glanced behind him to see Himchan waved him over. It was time to go back. He turned to Daehyun and ran his hand through his hair. “I have to go back. I'm glad you're ok.”

Daehyun pouted but he understood. “Alright. Good bye Youngjae.” He watched Youngjae waved to him as he walked away, his eyes roaming over Youngjae's body, liking the way the uniform looked on him. Maybe he would bring some lunch for Youngjae tomorrow and thank him again. Maybe they could out to dinner too.