Chapter 3

AEGIS

--Aeri’s Side--

 “Aeri-ah~! Where have you been? We’ve been worried sick~” Mrs. Lee hugged her precious daughter.

 

“I’m fine, mother~” Aeri hugged her back with her face, frowned. She have to admit that her feet were killing her.

 

Mr. Lee came into the scene, “What happened to your legs, Aeri? They’re bleeding.” he looked furious and Mrs. Lee gasped in shock.

 

The two bodyguards then quickly bowed down, “We’re really sorry, sir!”

 

Mr. Lee grumpily walked towards the two of them before Aeri blocked his way. “It’s not their fault, father. It’s mine. I ran in my heels. It is obvious I’ll get hurt like that.” Aeri hold her father’s wrist.

 

“But, it is their duty to make you’ll not get hurt.” Mr. Lee gave both of them a death glare.

 

“Yes, and they did. I hurt myself. Plus, the wounds are not that bad. I’m used to it. You know that I can be little bit clumsy, ever since I was little. So, don’t worry.” Aeri coaxed he father.

 

Mr. Lee sighed in defeat. “Fine. Now, come. We’ll get you fix up, okay?” he hold her shoulders and Mrs. Lee hold her hands, helping her to walk. “Thank you.” Aeri smiled.

 

“You are excused.” Mr. Lee said and the two man move out from the scene.

 

________________________________________________________________

 

“Here you go.” Mrs. Lee helped her daughter to lay on the bed.

 

Later after that, Nara came with the first aid kit and a bowl of water. As Nara was just about to prepare the things, Mr. Lee stopped her, “It’s fine, we’ll take it from here.” He said.

 

“Are sure, sir?” Nara asked for confirmation.

 

“Yes, dear… We’ll managed, you can go” Mrs. Lee said with a kind smile on her face. Then, Nara bowed at them and walked out from Aeri’s room.

 

“You know, Nara can do it. I’m sure both of you busy with work and such. Plus--”

“Dear… You’re our daughter. It’s a parents’ job to take care of you.” Mrs. Lee cut in and her husband nodded in agreement.

 

“This might sting a bit.” Mr. Lee pressed the wet cotton on Aeri’s wound to clean it first before putting the iodine.

 

Mrs. Lee sat next to her daughter and held her hand. Aeri turned to look at her mother, giving her a questioning look.

 

“Aeri-ah~ Why did you ran away like that?” Mrs. Lee asked. “Is it because of you don’t want to marry Mr. Byun’s son?” Aeri could see worries in her mother’s eyes.

 

“Ahh!!” Aeri frowned as she felt the pain. 

“Sorry, sweetheart.” Mrs. Lee apologized for pressing the wounds too hard.

 

“Did we burdened you, my child?” Mrs. Lee asked.

“Yes.”       “No.” Aeri answered.

“Is it that you don’t want to marry Mr. Byun’s son?”

“Maybe.”        “It is not like that…” Aeri tried to find the words.

“Mom, Dad. I don’t mind if both of you are going to arranged my marriage with a stranger.” Aeri spoke up.

 

Aeri’s words did hurt her parents’ heart. What she said was true. They were basically forcing her to marry a person that she doesn’t even know. They knew that somewhere in their hearts that it was wrong. But, the strings between their daughter and Mr. Byun’s son was meant to be tied together. No matter what. Mr. and Mrs. Lee bowed their head down upon hearing what she said.

 

“But, I know that both of you love me so much.” Aeri lifted her mother’s face and smiled lovingly at her.

 

“I know that you will give me away to someone that is as kind and loving as both of you are.” Aeri drifted her gaze to her father, who was just finished with the bandages.

 

Mrs. Lee eyes started to fill with tears, so does her husband’s. She wrapped her arms around Aeri and said, “Thank you for trusting us.” She cried. Mr. Lee came closer and softly planted a kiss on her head.

 

“You don’t need to thank me. You’re my parents after all.” Aeri smiled faintly.

 

“Aww… what did we do to deserve you” Mr. Lee said.

 

Mrs. Lee released Aeri from her embrace and wiped her tears away. 

 

“Then why did you run away so sudden?” Mr. Lee asked.

 

“Ahh~ That is because--”

 

With that, Aeri talked about her little action-adventure to her parents. She talked to them as if she was storytelling, with such energy and emotions. Not to mention her facial expression. 

 

It felt like the three of them were time travelling to the past where Aeri was just a child and she would tell about how much fun she had during the day, when she were getting ready to sleep. Mr. Lee and Mrs. Lee would sat next to her to hear her stories and in the end, Aeri would fall asleep on her own.

 

It may seems weird, since Aeri’s parents were supposed to tell her bedtime stories, but instead, Aeri herself never stopped talking all the way until she went to sleep on her own. 

 

During the night, right before Aeri went to sleep was the only moment where she could talk and spend time with her parents. There are some times when her parents were with her during the day, but those moments, she could count it with her fingers. Only when during the night that she could have her own sweet moments with parents and those moments never disappoint her.

 

“It’s late already. You need to rest.” Mrs. Lee said.

 

“Okay. I’ll sleep.” Aeri yawned sleepily.

 

“Goodnight, dear.” Mrs. Lee wished her before kissing her forehead and then followed by Mr. Lee.

“Goodnight, too.” Aeri looked at her parents lovingly as they walk across her room and to the door. Both of them stopped and the door and looked back at Aeri, only to find out that she already fell asleep.

 

Mrs. Lee smiled sweetly at her husband before she closed the door behind.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

Two days later…

 

Once again, Aeri was standing in front a large mirror, looking at her reflection that showed how nervous she was. Everything was almost the same. Same feeling, same posture, same nervous face, except for the dress and her legs that were wrapped with bandages.

 

“If you’re going for dinner then I’ll say dejavu.” Nara stepped in Aeri’s room.

 

“Yeah, but this time, lunch.” Aeri nervously smiled.

 

“Exactly.” Nara grinned. “Now, you look beautiful. It’s time for you to go.” Nara extended her hand to lead Aeri downstairs.

 

“You know, even if I’m injured. You don’t have to always help me walk like my legs are paralyzed.” Aeri jokingly slapped Nara’s hand away.

 

“As you wish.” Nara giggled and followed by Aeri’s laugh.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

--Baekhyun’s Side--

Baekhyun looked at his own reflection. He stared at his left shoulder. It was wrapped nicely with bandages. The wound still hurts but he could take it. As his gaze deepen, he had flashbacks about the woman who helped him on the other night. 

 

The fact that he couldn’t remember her face clearly made him mad. What he faintly remember were her eyes and her voice. But, fortunately, being a wolf, he perfectly remembered her scent. A scent was the one important thing for wolves, a scent is the only thing that can determined someone’s identity. Wolves can forgot the look of a face, the sound of a voice, but they can never forgot a scent.

As Baekhyun drowned in his flashbacks, images of the little girl popped into his mind. The advices about protecting someone and sorts. The images slowly changed into the images of his dreams for the past few days. Images of a back of a woman, wearing a dress that was as white as snow, then sudden change of the dress dirtied by crimson liquid. The images of drips of the liquid flowed down to her slender hands to her fingers and ended onto the ground.

 

*Knock knock*

 

Baekhyun’s daydream was destroyed by the sound of the knocking sound. “Come in!” Baekhyun shouted.

 

“The Lee family will be arriving soon. Your father wants you to be downstairs to welcome them.” Mr. Kim bowed.

 

“I’ll be there.” He answered short. Baekhyun slide in his arms through the white shirt and lastly wore his black coat. 

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

Baekhyun walk down the stairs, step by step and went straight to the dining room. Mr. Byun was already there sitting on one of the chairs. His father patted the seat next to him, signaling Baekhyun to sit there. Baekhyun rolled his eyes and do as he was asked to. He walk towards Mr. Byun and sighed loudly as he sat down. 

 

“Mind your manners when they’re here.” Mr. Byun warned his only son.

 

Baekhyun scoffed, “Mind your manners when they’re here. We don’t want to humiliate our famous company by your childish tantrums, which is throwing and breaking things around.” He said sarcastically. 

 

As Mr. Byun was just wanted to pull out the imaginary knife that stabbed his heart by his own son and throw it back to him, Mr. Kim came into the scene, “They’re here, sir.”

 

Mr. Byun nodded and stood up, pulling Baekhyun as well. Baekhyun stood up forcefully by his father and sighed. Later, two figure came in walking towards the dining table. Mr. Byun walked to Mr. Lee and shook his hand with him, “It is a pleasure to see you again.” Mr. Byun said with a smile.

 

“Yes, it is a pleasure. It is getting kind of boring to see your face everywhere I go.” Mr. Lee said jokingly, causing Mr. Byun to laugh.

 

Baekhyun find it amusing and laughed quietly at the back. 

 

“And you must be Mr. Byun’s son.” Mr. Lee extended his hand towards Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun caught his hand and shook it lightly “Yes, sir. I’m Byun Baekhyun.” He said with a seemingly sincere smiled, but it was actually an act.

 

“You’re even more handsome than the pictures we saw.” Mrs. Lee suddenly spoke.

 

“Thank you, Mrs. Lee” Baekhyun said.

 

“It won’t be Mrs. Lee anymore later, isn’t it? You can call me, mom.” Mrs. Lee said.

 

Baekhyun chuckled, “Of course.”

 

“Well, where is your daughter?” Mr. Byun asked.

 

“Come to think of it. Where is she? Baekhyun questioned in his mind.

 

“Oh yes! Goodness. She might be shy. Aeri-ah~ Come on quick!” Mrs. Lee called her daughter.

 

“Shy? Seriously? I don’t have time for this wo--” Baekhyun’s sentence was cut off as he saw a beautiful silhouette white light pink dress that falls just above her knees. She was dark haired and had the most perfect s-line.

 

“--man” Baekhyun finished his sentence and followed by a gulp of his saliva.

 

Aeri was covering her face with her hand and was looking down at the shining marble floor. Baekhyun gaze followed her all the way until she ended up standing opposite of him.

 

“Hello there. May I know your name, pretty lady?” Mr. Byun asked with a smile of his face.

 

“My name is Lee Aeri. Nice to meet you, Mr. Byun.” At last, she placed down her hand from her face and looked up after the nudge from her mother.

 

Baekhyun eyes widen as her face was revealed. Aeri was the fairest maiden in the land indeed, no wonder Baekhyun’s stone heart wavered a bit even if without him noticing it. He stared at her face, one place at a time. Her beautifully curved lips, surprisingly cute nose, and those mesmerizing brown orbs.

 

“Your eyes…” Baekhyun suddenly spoke making everyone turn their attention to him. Including, Aeri.

 

Everyone in the room was giving him a questioning look but was lost in her gaze.

 

“Ehem! Ehem!” Mr. Byun awkwardly cleared his throat and nudge Baekhyun using his elbow automatically making Baekhyun stop building his castle in the clouds.

 

“Ahh… I… I’m sorry. It was nothing.” Baekhyun stuttered but managed to flash his prettiest smile.

 

Mr. Byun then insisted the guests to sit down and hoped that they will enjoy the lunch. So, everyone sat down on their seat and the parents started to chat about work and the marriage.

 

“Those eyes…” Baekhyun looked at Aeri with a serious facial expression, making the opposite person nervous.

 

The parents were happily chat while Baekhyun and Aeri were awfully in an awkward silence. Baekhyun never had the attention to talk a lot during the lunch except to answer questions given to him. He also never planned to even look at the girl in front him right now. But unfortunately, the plan doesn’t go well since the resemblance of Aeri and her are quite close.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 --Aeri’s Side--

Aeri was walking her way from the entrance of Byun’s mansion to the dining room, leaded by a 30’s butler. She was so nervous and to think about she will marry the person who she will meet a few seconds after this, makes her legs weak and felt like her heart wants to pop out of her chest. 

As she reached the entrance of the dining room, the butler announced the arrival of her family and she could heard the sound of two chair dragged from its’ original place. Aeri getting the cold sweats now. Aeri took a peak from the entrance and saw him. The man who was standing next to Mr. Byun

 

Aeri never thought she would feel this kind of feeling when she decided to marry this stranger. But, she felt it. Her heart skipped a beat. The sensation of the butterflies in her stomach makes her froze in her state. Aeri’s parents were already in and that time where she saw that smile from him, simply made her blushed at the view she was looking at.

 

After a while, she heard her mother’s voice calling her and she saw his gaze turned to entrance. She took a very deep breath and walked towards her parents, with her face covered and was looking down on the floor. 

 

“I don’t want to look! This is so scary~!” Aeri screamed in his mind. 

 

Aeri kept on walking and ended up standing in the opposite of Baekhyun and next to her mother.

 

“Hello there. May I know your name, pretty lady?” Mr. Byun asked with a smile of his face.

 

Mrs. Lee nudged her daughter, signaling her to put down her hand and face up, not down. Aeri mentally groaned at her mother and did as she was asked. “My name is Lee Aeri. Nice to meet you, Mr. Byun.”

 

Even if Aeri was looking directly looking at Mr. Byun, but she could see from the corner of her eyes that Baekhyun was staring her. If she is brave enough and maybe a little bit heartless, she would say that ‘staring is rude’ but she can’t. 

 

Aeri saw that Mr. Byun was about to say something in reply of her answer just now but suddenly a voice was heard from the person opposite of her instead. “Your eyes…” he said, making everyone turn their attention to him. Including, Aeri.

 

Aeri gathered her courage to look at him straight eyes. “My eyes? What’s wrong with them? Did I messed up my eyeliner? And he noticed? No!” she panicked in her mind.

 

After a few seconds of awkward silence, Mr. Byun break it with his fake cough and Baekhyun said with a smile “Ahh… I… I’m sorry. It was nothing.”

 

“Okay then, why don’t all of us settle down and enjoy our lunch, yes?” Mr. Byun said and all of them sat down.

 

Aeri felt tense up since Baekhyun was staring her seriously. She started to get restless and nervous. “Was it really nothing back then? Because he seemed like looking at me as if he wanted to tell me something but he didn’t…” she talked to herself.

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

--Author’s Side--

Aeri was so nervous that is her eyeliner really was messed up while Baekhyun didn’t stop staring at her. And their parents were seem to be so engrossed with their own conversation, leaving those two soon-to-be married couple in their ‘one-sided staring challenge’

 

Aeri couldn’t really stand it anymore and stood up all of the sudden, making all of the eyes fixed to her. “M-may I use the ladies’ room.” Aeri asked. “I really need a mirror right now.”

“Sure. The maids will show you the way.” Mr. Byun said while pointing his hand towards a maid near Aeri’s seat.

 

“Thank you.” She thanked him.

 

And as she was going make her steps away from the place, a soft breeze blew from the window behind her. Baekhyun who was staring at his empty plate suddenly smell the scent of a familiar scent. His eyes widen for the fact of the scent of that who woman that saved her that night was near.

 

He turned his face to the origin of the scent and find out the scent was from Aeri. “No way…” 

 

Aeri was already out from her seat and about the leave the table. But, Baekhyun swiftly stood up and before Aeri knew it Baekhyun was already in front of him. His speed was quite impossible for the normal human being but not for were-wolves. His speediness causing a force of wind that pushed Aeri from her standing state, resulting her to fall back.

 

But, Baekhyun caught her slim waist before she fell. Aeri was still confused with the situation but what she knew at that moment was Baekhyun’s arm was around her waist right now. Aeri was about to fall but Baekhyun caught her.

 

“Are you really her?” Baekhyun asked the clueless Aeri. She just started at him blankly.

 

“Are really…” Baekhyun face was getting closer to her and Aeri’s face were getting pink. “…her?” his face were buried in her neck and Aeri could feel his hot breath on her skin. 

 

Baekhyun got too close to her and his face was already at Aeri’s neck. Even if, he could felt that Aeri was effortlessly squirming in his arms but he didn’t care. He smell the scent of her with one long breath and let it go. His breath that touched her, making her gripping Baekhyun’s shirt on his chest area. 

 

Her scent brought the flashbacks of that night in his mind and without hesitating, “It is you…” Baekhyun said to himself. 

 

To Be Continue

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/Note:

Hey guys~! Here’s chapter 3~~~ 

Big thanks to those who subscribed, commented and upvoted!

And , I really hope you liked this chapter (>_<) 

So, those who haven't~ Please subscribe, comment and don’t forget to upvote~!

 

THANK YOUU~~ LOVE YOUU~~ 

Please participate on the next chapter too~

Sincerely,

Blue_Syo