Chapter 1

AEGIS

It was bright, so bright. The sunlight illuminates the little fur ball. He whimpered and took a step back every time he heard the children screamed at each other. The park was filled with children and their guardian, having their own wonderful Sunday holiday. At first he was afraid. But after a long while, he sat down and watched the children happily playing with their mom and dad. His eyes filled with longing and loneliness. How he hoped that he had that kind of family in his life.

 

“Hey there, are you alone?” he heard a voice from his back.

 

He turned around and saw a little girl her lips was curved into a smile. He did not respond to the girl at all. He just sat still and look her into the eyes.

 

“Don’t be shy. Come here.” The girl said, bending down and tried to pat his head but he stepped back.

 

She froze before she spoke, “Don’t be afraid, I won’t bite.” She giggled as found that what she just said was amusing.

 

He moved closer as she coax him that ‘it is alright’. The girl place her hand and patted his head. That was the first time he felt such warmth not just against his head but also in his heart.  He closed his eyes and let the warm sensation lasts as long as he can feel. The girl smiled sweetly as she found that he likes to be patted. 

 

“Are you lost little pretty puppy?’’ she asked even though she knows that would not get an answer for that question.

“Do I look like a normal dog to you?’’ suddenly a boy’s voice was heard.

 

“Who’s that?’’ the little girl asked and looked around her, wondering if someone was talking to her.

 

“It’s me, the ‘pretty puppy’ that you’re talking to” he spoke in again.

 

“You can talk pretty puppy? How can you talk without your mouth moving?” she asked innocently.

 

“Yes, but to make sure that only you can hear me, I talking through your head.” He tried to make it easier for her to understand. “And by the way, I’m not a normal dog. I’m a wolf.” He said sternly.

 

“Talking through my head?” She titled her head a little to the side. It took her some time to process it and hesitantly nodded.

“Pretty puppy is a wolfie?” Her face lit up in happiness since she never met a wolf before. 

 

“Well , I’m not, a ‘pretty puppy’ and I’m not a wolfie either. But, arghh~! whatever..” he groaned frustratedly.

 

The little girl giggled and took him into her arms. She walk to the nearest bench, she sat down and placed him on her lap. That day, the talk and chat for a long time. The feeling that he felt every time her hand touched him remain in his memory for as long as he can remember. Being a kid as he was, he never knew that the feeling, the warmth and the butterflies in his stomach was the feeling of love.

_________________________________________________________________

 

Baekhyun opened his eyes, only to found out that he was still on his bed while the sun was already up hours ago. He blinked a few times to adjust is eyes with the brightness of his surroundings. He took a deep breath and let out a sigh. He closed his eyes one more time and the flashbacks of his precious memories played through his mind.

 

Suddenly, a knock was heard from the entrance of his chamber, he sat up and spoke, “Who’s that?” 

 

“It is me, sir.” Mr. Kim answered short.

 

“Ah.. Come in.”

 

“Excuse me sir, did I wake you?”

 

“No, you didn’t, what is it?”

 

 “Your father has requested your presence immediately, sir.”

 

Baekhyun glared at his long life butler. Mr. Kim flinched and took a little step back. Baekhyun looked away and sighed. 

“What is it that he want?!” Baekhyun’s voice raised than his normal tone.

 

“He said that there is an important business he needs to discuss with you, immediately.” Mr. Kim answered, looking down to his feet.

 

Baekhyun frowned and groaned. “Fine! Tell him I’ll be there!” 

 

“Right away, sir” Mr. Kim bowed and went straight out.

 

“Immediately? Fine, I’ll give you ‘immediately’, old man!” 

Baekhyun smirked and slammed his body back to the soft and comfortable bed.

 

 

One hour later..

 

Mr. Kim announced the arrival of Baekhyun to the infamous Mr. Byun. Baekhyun stepped into his father office with a poker face, acting that he did nothing wrong. Mr. Kim closed the door behind the spot where Baekhyun was standing.

As the door was finally shut, leaving the two of them in the room, Baekhyun tilted his head to his side, before a glass vase smashed against the hard wooden door behind him. The damage produce a quite a loud sound in the quiet room. While on the other side of the door, Mr. Kim flinched at the sudden noise. “Here we go again.” He sighed silently and started to walk away.

 

“YAHH!! Are you crazy?!” Mr. Byun yelled at the poker faced Baekhyun. 

“I SAID IMMEDIATELY, DIDN’T I?!!” his face were red, showing how furious he was.

 

Baekhyun remain still and give a ‘do I look like I care?’ face.

 

“Are you even listening to me?!” Mr. Byun widen his eyes while he grabbed another vase of flower. He throw it directly at his son. Baekhyun normally turn his body to his right and walked forward, making his father’s aim, missed miserably. His actions raised the temperature his father’s arimony.

 

“You little rascal!!” Mr. Byun grabbed the nearest chair and threw it at Baekhyun. The young man casually bend down, preventing himself from getting hurt. 

“You coward! You!! Stay still! Yah!!!” the furious Mr. Byun kept throwing things around him at his stubborn son but, Baekhyun was so calmly averted the attacks. The time went on, and the elderly man started to pant for the lack of oxygen. While, Baekhyun just stood still and breathing normally, as if nothing had happened. Baekhyun placed both of his hand to his back, then took a careful step through the messy office, trying not to step on the broken glasses. He dusted off his father’s chair and sat on it with his leg-crossed.

Mr. Byun’s mouth gapped, dumbfounded by his own son’s actions. Baekhyun pointed the chair located opposite of him with his eyes at his father. The old man gave him ‘who the to you think you are’ face. But, he still did what Baekhyun asked. He sat down and let out a loud sigh. 

 

“So, what are you going to discuss?” Baekhyun asked.

 

Mr. Byun looked his son in the eye and said, “You are getting married soon.”

 

Hearing the word ‘married’, Baekhyun swiftly changed his direction to his father. “What the are talking about, you old geezer?!”

Before Baekhyun know it, a shoe smacked right at his face. “Ahhh~! I’m relived now! Wahh~” Mr. Byun screamed in joy. 

 

“Yah! I’m not going to marry anyone!” Baekhyun yelled at his father.

 

“And who do you think you are to deny me?” Mr. Byun looked at him grimly.

 

His father was right. He is practically the minister of the were-people in Seoul. Baekhyun will not survive if he deny his father’s demands. Ran away? He couldn’t even pass the way to the airport. His father was practically unstoppable. 

 

Baekhyun stared into his father’s eyes and so did Mr.Byun. “I.AM.NOT.GOING TO.MARRY.ANYONE.AND.THAT’S.FINAL.” Baekhyun growled. His eyes started to glint with red light. He slowly climbed on the study table. His nails from his slender fingers slowly turn into sharp claws. His white straight teeth started to become pointy and sharpen. His skin started to grow brownish fur and he completely transformed into a ferocious wolf. He growled furiously at his father. Mr. Byun didn’t flinched at all, not even once.

 

“Stop being a stubborn child and listen to me just this once, Baekhyun.” His father stand and stepped nearer to Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun growled louder and barked at him. His wolf voice was so loud, resulting the windows in the room shattered into pieces. The broken glasses scattered on the floor of the room. Baekhyun gave his father a deathly glare before jumped off the table and went through the window, leaving his father stood there, disappointed.

_________________________________________________________________
 
Baekhyun ran and ran, hoping he could run from his problems. He, then slowed down his pace and eventually stopped. 
It wasn’t a problem for him to be in his wolf form since he was a rural area that surrounded his father’s mansion. The idea of building a mansion practically in the middle of a forest was his father’s idea. Mr. Byun wished to make the forest as a remainder of the old habitat of the were-wolves ancestors. But, fortunately the forest isn’t really that big. It took about 30 minutes to reach their mansion, on foot. 
 
Baekhyun nearly reached the exit of the forest, he could already saw the city lights were getting brighter as the day slowly fall into darkness. It was already dusk, Baekhyun head was empty. He felt like he had a large hole in his heart. On second thought, there was always a hole in his heart, even when he was just a little innocent boy. Gloom went over him, he looked away from the sights of the city and lower his head, facing the ground. 
 
“Me? Getting married?” Baekhyun questioned himself.
 
A sudden flashbacks from the past played in his mind. Although the vision of her was blurry to him. But, he could never forget the warmth that he felt from her, the butterflies in his stomach trying to burst out every time she laughed, the heartbeats that racing each time she smiled at him. 
 
He smiled softly and as he was just about change into his human form, he felt a sting at his leg. Then, he felt sudden pain in his head, everything started to get blurry. He turn his head to the back, trying to identify the cause of the stinging pain and saw a pellet stuck at his leg. 
 
 “What the ?” he thought while gasping desperately for air.
 
 
The bushes on his surroundings were starting to shake as if there were winds that brushes against the leave. But, there was no wind. There was just the air from Baekhyun’s breathing. In and out. Baekhyun growled as he saw a dark figure coming out from the forest. Walking towards him, along with a few more people. Circling the vulnerable beast. 
 
The drug from the pellet making Baekhyun weaker. His vision were getting even more blurry, the headaches getting stronger, distracting his predator’s instinct.
 
“! This thing, weakens my strength, I can’t even smell the scent of this guy. My ears aren’t cooperating to detect the actual number of these people. ! This can’t good!” Baekhyun growled fiercely.
 
“Now, now, Mr. Byun Baekhyun. You just let the drug do its’ work. It won’t kill you anyways, it will just make you faint.” A deep voice spoken. Baekhyun didn’t know which one of the man was speaking, but he suspected the man whose standing tall in front of him.
 
“So, why don’t you be a good doggy and stay down, hmm?” he man smirked and his minions laughed grimly.
“These es going to pay for that!” Baekhyun gathered his strength and jump towards the tall figure in front of him but he dodge, making Baekhyun landed on the man behind him. The fallen man screamed for help as Baekhyun ripped his arm from its’ original location.
 
The men started to take a few step back after the witnessed that unpleasant scene, “What the are you guys doing? Are you afraid of that dog?!” the leader yelled at his minions. 
 
Baekhyun glared at the leader for calling him a dog.
 
“Well?! What are you fools waiting for? An invitation?! Charge!!” he yelled even louder.
 
The rest of the men were hesitating at first but they did as they were ordered to. A short man from Baekhyun’s right side made the first move. 
 
“Big mistake!” Baekhyun took a step back and leaped straight to the man. He bite off the man’s shoulder, causing a painful groan from him.
 
Once again, the men took steps back. As Baekhyun were just feeling triumph, the dizziness got stronger. He was losing balance and his legs were abstaining to stand up straight.
 
The tall man smirked, “The drug is working, he’s weak! Strain him now!” he ordered.
 
His minions nodded in reply and carefully walked towards the predator. Baekhyun’s vision darkened. He took a deep breath and gather his last strength. The let out his breath along with a deep growl, and ran towards the men. At the right time, he jumped above all of them and fled to the city.
 
“! Don’t let him get away! After him!!” the man shouted, while the others obeyed him.
 
_________________________________________________________________
 
 
Baekhyun ran with all his strength, despite hearing people screamed on the sight of him, a huge dark brown wolf, running around in the middle the sidewalk, he just kept moving forward.
 
He ran and ran.
Until he reached a familiar park. He was wasted, his strength was no more. He practically dragged his legs to find a hiding place, at least to lose those insolent fools who was chasing him around. But, luck was not on his side, his vision was getting darker and his legs were already worn out, causing his body to slam on to the ground.
 
His vision turned completely pitch black. “..” Baekhyun spoke in his mind.
 
“Hey there, pretty puppy.” She greeted him cheerfully.
 
“I’m not a ‘pretty puppy’..” Baekhyun said before he fainted.
 
 
TO BE CONTINUE
 
 
 
 
A/Note :
Hey guys~ This the first time I wrote a fantasy were-wolf theme kind of story, so I’m a bit awkward with it. Plus, it’s been a long time I’ve written a story.
So.. I’m quite rusty with the language and the tenses [btw, English is not my mother tongue] and . . . . . . yeah!
 
I really hope you liked this chapter (>_<) 
Please subscribe, comment and don’t forget to upvote~!
THANK YOU~ SO SO SO MUCH~~
Please participate on the next chapter ~!
 
Sincerely,
Blue_Syo💋