three

Goddess Mistaken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

three

Sehun leads the way towards a black wrought iron gate located at the back of the courtyard, where it stands tall and imposing. A hooded cloak materialises around him, covering him from head to toe before he pushes open the gate and beckons me to follow him. He takes my bag and puts it down on a nearby table then gestures me forward until I stand beside him.

I hesitate, “Should I really follow you? Can I trust you to take me to where Kai is?” I ask. Sehun turns to look at me; I can’t read his expression now that it is hidden in the shadow of his hood.

He shrugs, “Doesn’t concern me, but no one ever lies in the Underworld. Didn’t Kai already tell you?” I remember vaguely that Kai had said something similar. I nod, although I still narrow my eyes at him.

“Well then, lead the way, I guess,” I shrug, and follow him through the gate.

The places we pass through gradually grow darker, an eerily suffocating atmosphere seemingly hanging in air, making it almost too difficult to breathe but I manage somehow. It reminds me of when Kai led us along a pitch-black path. It must be the part of the Underworld where Death truly lingers.

It wasn’t long before the path brightened up, but only by a small margin, enough that I could see where I placed my feet. But with the light, I could also see that a heavy fog hung in the air.

I followed Sehun onwards until we reached another large wrought iron gate, however, this time it was far, far larger and a humongous dog sat before it. A humongous three-headed dog that anyone would realise as Cerberus. Both amazed and a little frightened, I couldn’t help but hide behind Sehun and watch as the dog bounded over to him.

Its large paws seemed to thunder across the ground and the three heads sniffed the air. It’s smelt me and I am doomed, I think, wilting until I hid even more in Sehun’s shadow. Then it let out a bark and sat down on its behind, tongues hanging out as it wagged its tail happily. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the tail was in fact a serpent.

“Good boy,” Sehun said, patting one of the beast’s heads and walked past it. I quickly followed; who knows what that dog would do if I lagged behind.

It watched us walk past and then went back to guarding the gate.

***

“Welcome to the Judgement Room,” Sehun says quietly, as we entered a cavernous area that looked like an underground cave deep inside a mountain. Except this isn’t a cave, nor are we under a mountain I don’t think. The fog still hangs in the air, obscuring my view and hiding a lot of the stalactites and stalagmites that jut from the ceiling and floor.

There are a few times where I nearly scream from tripping over rocks and other hidden things, and only just manage to keep my mouth shut while Sehun hushes me. “Stay quiet. Kai doesn’t know I brought you here, okay?” he mutters.

Well, at least I finally have an answer. I guess I really am not wanted. But it’s been a long while since I’ve been back down here in the Underworld and I’m going to give Kai a piece of my mind for starting everything in the first place. Although, I do feel a little cautious about what he might do if I decide to start a fight with him.

Kai’s voice suddenly rings out, “Thanatos, are you back?”

Sehun seems to roll his eyes before striding forward while I wondered whether to follow or not. He didn’t say anything, so I did. But before I can follow him too far, he pushes me behind a large stalagmite column, where I am close enough to see and hear Kai talking to Sehun.

“Where’d you go off to?” Kai asks, his legs stretched out in front of him as he leans on an arm of the throne he’s sitting on. Glittering gemstones embedded into the chair all seem to gleam with a light from within them, while also catching the light of the flickering flames from the wall sconces. The light seemed to make Kai’s expression even moodier.

Sehun shrugs and says nothing.

Kai sighs and waves him away, only saying, “Just do your job.” It seems he hasn’t noticed my presence yet. Until I shift on my spot and dislodge a loose rock under my foot.

“Come out!” His loud command echoes in the cavern and pulls me away from my hiding spot. When he lays eyes on me, his face darkens as he narrows his eyes. “You.”

“Hey to you, too,” I reply, straightening my back, eyes darting around to see that Sehun stood beside Kai, face still hidden by the shadow of his hood.

I wasn’t about to let Kai belittle me, yet at the same time, my heart thrilled at the sight of him. My heart and mind were conflicted but I came here with things to do. I won’t get distracted.

I decide to say whatever is on my mind before I get too scared. “So, I came back and this time, I need to know why I was… chosen by you to be brought down here. I know the Fates explained it, but I want to hear it from you,” I say, loud and clear, doing my best to act authoritative.

The furrow between Kai’s brows deepened as he regarded me, his obsidian eyes unreadable. I watch as he stands from his seat and walks towards me, standing close enough to me that I can feel his breaths blowing over my hair. “You want to know,” he says quietly, “Why I had brought you down in the first place. What my reasons are for doing so.”

I nod.

“Then you’re mistaken if you think I will tell you anything, mortal,” he says, “Now, get out of my sight!” He turns around, his long cloak trailing behind him and walks back to his seat, but not before he pauses and says over his shoulder, “Don’t you dare try anything. I will have Sehun bring you back to the mortal realm. Immediately.”

My mouth falls open as I stare at his retreating back, only closing when Sehun appears beside me silently. I vaguely hear his quiet “Come with me,” as I keep my gaze on Kai, hoping he’d turn around.

***

I’m sitting at one of the garden tables in the courtyard while Sehun has gone off somewhere, telling me that he’ll be back soon. I guess it might be his way of saying that he’s giving me some space to think. All I can do, however, is wonder about why my heart beat changed when I saw Kai at last.

It’s impossible for me to feel anything for him though. I’ve barely talked to him, and most of the time, he’s been a cold jerk. The only quality of his that I like is his looks, but if he’s going to keep being such a blockhead, then I don’t think I’d be able to handle him anymore.

Maybe it’s his job; he’s probably feeling a little frustrated from what he’s doing, a voice in my head says. Or maybe, he just really doesn’t like me. I sigh and stretch in my seat, preferring to break my train of thought before it got too out of hand. There must be a reason why he isn’t telling me anything, and I will do everything I can to find out.

The scent of flowers grows heavy in the air, the perfume of it drawing me closer to where the multitude of plants grew. I leaned in closer and gently brought the white flowers closer to my nose; I could feel myself relaxing, the tension in my shoulders slowly dissipating as the strong, heady aroma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter