twelve

Goddess Mistaken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

twelve

Kai watches her fall asleep while slowly patting her shoulder. She looks calm and peaceful sitting there in his arms, unaware of the world. He remembers the look she had on her face earlier that morning, the way she had stuck out her wrist with a look of sheer panic. Looking down, he picks up her wrist to examine it, running a finger over her smooth unblemished skin. There wasn't anything there on her skin that should cause her such worry, yet he had a feeling there was. That there is something he can't see.

Maybe that's why she had asked to come along. Maybe she wanted to find someone who could see whatever it is she had tried to show him. A feeling of frustration wells up inside of him for being unable to help her the longer he looks at her wrist and seeing nothing.

Kai gently moves her so that she now lay on the couch, getting up and stretching his limbs. Looking outside, he can see how the sky is slowly being dyed orange as the sun sets over the horizon. I'll let her sleep for a few more minutes, he thinks, glancing down at her.

He decides that a walk around the villa they're staying in would be a good idea. It has been such a long time since Kai had last set foot on Mount Olympus, and he was surprised by how little everything had changed. It looked the same as it was all those many thousands of years ago when he had come to negotiate with his brother about taking Persephone.

Thinking about Zeus brings a scowl to Kai's face, but he closes his eyes and in an instant, he is standing before the palace again. Speak of the devil, Kai laughs internally seeing his brother waiting for him. “Were you waiting?” Kai asks with a smirk.

“So, what was it that brought you here?” Zeus asks, dodging Kai's question.

Kai chuckles, knowing his brother wouldn't admit it to save his pride, and begins to speak in a low voice as they walk inside a small garden to the side of the palace, taking a seat under a gazebo. He tells him of what has been happening in the Underworld and what had happened to the current Persephone, and his theories based on what she had told him. At the same time, his brother listens attentively.

“What do you think? I believe her words. If our father does return, he will cause chaos. It's already been enough trouble for me to keep the Underworld in order,” Kai concludes, dropping his head onto his crossed arms on the table.

Zeus remains silent as he thinks. “Bring her over later,” he simply says then stands from his seat. “We'll have a banquet prepared as a welcome for you two. It has been a rather long time since everyone had last seen you, and I'm sure everyone would like to meet your…” he trails off.

“My soulmate,” Kai finishes.

“Hahaha! To think a god would ever have a soulmate! Well, good for you. As for me, I'm off to see to my other duties.” Zeus waves a hand and walks off, leaving Kai alone.

Kai rubs a hand over his brows as he chuckles at his brother’s behaviour. Leaving the garden behind, he strolls back out, glancing behind his shoulder to watch his brother making his way back into the palace. Kai could see the calm confidence in Zeus’ steps, his thoughts turning nostalgic, he has certainly grown much over the years we have not seen each other.

Continuing down the main road back to the villa, watching the way the citizens of Olympus seemed to hide their faces and avoid his gaze as he walked past them.

“Oh, if it isn’t Brother Hades?” a female voice calls out, sounding less than friendly. “What are you doing here on Olympus?”

Kai turns towards the voice to see Aphrodite standing under the shade of a tree, her platinum blonde hair seemingly glowing from the light of the setting sun. Kai suppresses the need to sigh and ignores her, choosing to turn away to avoid her caustic words that he is more than familiar with.

Seeing her brother simply walking away without replying, Aphrodite becomes incensed by his clear dismissal of her. “Have you become the better man now? No longer easily angered?” She says, trailing behind him.

There's a part of Kai that makes him want to simply teleport back to the villa but that would only give Aphrodite the satisfaction of seeing his feathers ruffled. So, he keeps walking, pretending she doesn't exist. Yet she continues to follow him.

Kai, she's just trying to antagonise you. Just ignore her; she's not worth your time, he thinks, wondering when she would leave him alone. This is just one of the many reasons he doesn't like Olympus.

“I hear Persephone is back,” Aphrodite says casually, twirling a strand of her hair, “Is she still the same pretty little airhead?”

“She is more than you could ever be,” Kai mutters under his breath.

“What? Did you say something?” She asks, and when he doesn't reply, continues to speak, “Well, I suppose I'll see her again tonight at the banquet.” Kai notices the slight devious quirk of her lips, knowing she would most likely be scheming something.

He watches Aphrodite wave to him goodbye in her usual seductively charming way, her hips swaying as she finally leaves him alone. Kai shakes his head and turns toward the way back home.

***

I wake to a light shake of my shoulder and someone calling my name. Rubbing my eyes and letting out a yawn, I blink to focus my gaze on Kai kneeling before me. The soft smile on his face sort of takes my breath away before I remember to say something. “Did I sleep too long?” I ask, while closing my eyes again at the sensation of Kai's fingers brushing through my hair.

Kai shakes his head, “You slept for… an hour in mortal time. Not that long at all. Go get dressed and wash your face, we'll be attending a banquet at Zeus’ palace. Everything's prepared for you already in the bathroom.” He pulls me up from the couch and leads me there.

He lets me get ready on my own, leaving me to freshen up and put on the clothes he had hung on the back of the bathroom door. It's a violet gown that falls to my ankles, the fabric seeming to shift colour depending on the light, accented by the gold trim on the neckline and the matching gold accessories. I leave my hair mostly down, pinned by some small olive-branch hair clips to look a little nicer.

I step out once I'm done to be greeted by the sight of Kai dressed all in white; no longer is he wearing his usual black button up shirt and ironed black slacks, instead he's wearing a white version with accented violet sleeve cuffs that match my dress since he's rolled them up. Kai has left his shirt open at the collar as usual, his black hair looking no different than usual except for perhaps a little hair gel to keep his bangs out of his eyes for what I'm guessing is a bit of a formal occasion.

I watch as he gives me a once over, eyes traveling the length of my body. I give a twirl, feeling just a hint of shyness under his appraising gaze. “Thank you for the dress,” I say, unable to help myself from looking down at the way the fabric shimmers with every movement. “I love it!”

Kai raises an eyebrow, “You're welcome, but are you sure you don't love anything else?”

I laugh, “Nope! The dress is absolutely gorgeous and I really love it!” I reply teasingly.

But his answer comes unexpectedly, “And you are indescribably gorgeous that no simple dress can match your beauty,” Kai says, resting a hand on my cheek, his thumb rubbing soft circles on my skin. I can feel the slight blush heating my cheek where his hand rests.

“Thank you, Kai. You're being awfully honest today, aren't you? I think I quite like it,” I chuckle, taking hold of his hand and intertwining my fingers between his. “But why this dress?” I ask as we walk towards the front door.

“I didn’t choose it. Zeus sent everything over,” he replies, shrugging his shoulders. “Though I suppose he has good taste.” I chuckle as I listen to him grumble over this.

After we put on our shoes and Kai grabs his black cloak and we set out for the palace in his carriage. Arriving at the palace in style like all the other deities attending this banquet, every carriage and chariot look like they’re all trying to outshine the others in terms of how extravagant they looked. However, it seems all is forgotten as soon as Kai opens the door of our carriage and steps out, holding a hand out to h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter