fourteen

Goddess Mistaken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

fourteen

Mount Olympus is quieter than it has ever been since the last time the gods had had a war. The air feels suffocating, tension strung taut as the council of the Olympian gods is in session. Not a single being living there can bear it, most choosing to descend down to Earth instead of staying, taking on disguises all so that they could avoid the heavy atmosphere. No one wanted to bring the wrath of the gods on themselves.

Among the twelve Olympian gods, most seemed too lax from the long period of peace they have been experiencing. Kai huffed in annoyance, and it didn’t help that the air around actually looked dark and shadowy. His presence didn’t invoke a single idea from anyone, let alone more than a single word from them. Zeus either didn’t notice or chose to ignore his moodiest brother, and focused on rousing the spirits of the gods that didn’t seem to care much. Poseidon, on the other hand, did his best to cheer up Kai.

After yet another unproductive day in the council, Kai doesn’t even walk home; he simply waves his hand tiredly and disappears into thin air in a dramatic puff of black smoke, surprising some onlookers. Zeus watches his brother disappear, shaking his head and walks back to the council room. Most of the council had left as soon as he had called it a day, however, when he walks inside, Aphrodite is standing at her seat, eyes on him as he approaches.

“May I have a word with you?” she asks in an almost timid manner. She’s probably reflecting on her usual domineering behaviour. No more diva hair-flicks for now, I suppose, Zeus thinks, noting that her usual fashion sense however, hasn’t changed one bit.

“Sure,” Zeus replies, taking a seat and gesturing for her to do the same.

Aphrodite takes a seat and pulls out her mirror, the very one that had caused a misunderstanding and a severe case of poisoning. Persephone has still yet to recover fully or wake up in the last five days. Zeus’ eyes harden as he looks at the mirror. “I know I’ve caused trouble, many times too, and I have reflected on your words,” she says quietly, fingers running over the ornate frame of the magic mirror. “But I checked the mirror again, and still it shows your image in relation to that girl!”

“And… what are you trying to say?”

“I-I am not entirely sure, but there must be some reason. Are we all sure that she is not a demi-god? Isn’t there a way for us to check?”

The way Zeus’ eyes shift in the light means that he knows something, Aphrodite is sure of it. She’s seen that look of his every time he held back a secret. She stares at him, not once breaking her gaze so that he knows that she is serious. Eventually, he sighs, dropping his head into one palm, “There is the Oracle. I am sure they know.”

Aphrodite stands from her seat in a rush, “Then shouldn’t we go and find out?”

Zeus grabs her arm, “No. You should know that some things are better off left unsaid and unfound. Secrets are made to be kept. Do not go looking for the Oracle, understand?” The severity of his tone made Aphrodite scared, looking more like a young girl than the beauty she normally is. Zeus lets go of her arm and she runs off. He just hopes that he had sounded serious enough for her to not disobey his orders, and to make sure she is not the first one to find out whatever the secret behind the connection is, Zeus decides that he’ll go find the Oracle first.

Luckily, he had the advantage of knowing the location the new Oracle is at.

***

At the same time, Kai is at the villa, pacing the atrium. “I’ve been staying here for five whole days, away from home, and yet, not much correspondence has come from Sehun. Is there really nothing happening down there?” he mutters to himself, a hand on his chin as he paces and thinks.

His worry does not dissipate even as he watches over Persephone, using warm cloths to wipe down her arms and legs as Apollo had instructed the day after the banquet. Apollo had even sent a young nymph to help him, bringing a fresh ch

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter