fifteen

Goddess Mistaken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

fifteen

Just as the sun rises the next day, spreading its warmth over Mount Olympus and into a certain guest villa, lighting up the small bedroom shared by the two residents living there, one of them begins to stir to the sound of birdsong.

My eyes crack open a sliver, the sunlight streaming in from the window above my head, warming my feet. However, I can’t feel a single limb, not even a finger or a toe. My throat feels sore and dry, and my head sort of throbs. I kind of want a drink right now, but I can’t even move. I swivel my eyes around the room, wondering where I am, confused by my current physical state.

Memories slowly begin to flood back as I try to look around. I was attending… an event with Kai. Something, no, someone had provoked me. A very beautiful woman with long blonde hair. Then, an overwhelming feeling of wanting to prove myself made me drink… ambrosia. I passed out after that. I remember most of what seemed to have occurred, although my memory is somewhat patchy and incomplete.

I don’t dwell too much on it, although that would most likely be due to my throbbing head. It feels a bit like I had drank too much alcohol – at least, with what my parched throat and throbbing headache are indicating. Speaking of, I try to find Kai. Being unable to fully move or turn my head, I do my best to turn my eyes to each side, managing to shift my head a little to follow my sight. I find him on my left side, sitting in a large comfy chair, head lolling to the side, mouth slightly open as he sleeps. It’s kind of endearing seeing him like this.

Still unable to move, I focus on that. It’s an uncomfortable feeling, being so stiff. How long have I been unconscious? I take deep breaths and try my best to lift even a single finger. Sensation slowly floods through my arm and everything begins to tingle, prickling like pins and needles. At least I now Know I’m not paralysed. I breathe a sigh of relief and concentrate on moving each limb, one by one.

Suddenly, Kai lets out a soft groan and seems to stretch like a cat as he wakes up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. He extends his impossibly long legs out, turning his head this way and that until he feels a little more awake. As soon as he’s done, he looks my way. Kai’s eyes widen seeing me awake.

He stumbles from his seat in his haste to get to my side. “How are you feeling?” he asks, worry colouring his voice. I can only let out a dry croak, and he stands to fetch a glass of water, bringing it over. Kai helps prop me up into a sitting position so that I can drink. My entire body tingles uncomfortably from all the movement.

Kai brings the glass to my lips, tilting it slowly so that I can drink easily. Once I’ve drunk every last drop, my throat feeling a little more soothed, I try to say something but grimace instead at being unable to convey my thanks, my voice still not back yet.

“It’s alright, just take your time,” Kai says, “I’m just glad that you are awake now. Honestly, you were being completely irresponsible doing what you did, brave but stupid.” I wince a little from his scolding. Then Kai takes hold of my face between his hands, his black eyes boring into mine, “Don’t worry me like that ever again. I don’t want to see you lying almost lifeless for nearly a whole week, wondering whether you will wake again.”

Then, he pulls me against him firmly, holding me tight as if, at any second, I could slip from his grasp like water. “I don’t want to lose you,” he whispers into my hair. I feel my heart clench, and I want to reply but all I can do is sit there and let him hold me.

Kai pulls back after a few moments, letting out a sigh as his hands rest against my face, thumbs over my cheeks. He admires me quietly, our eyes simply looking at each other’s, before he leans in and presses a soft kiss over my eyelids, then a peck on my lips. “It feels like an eternity since you last spoke to me.” The smile he gives me is so innocent, so soft and joyful that I wonder if it's even the same person I have been with for over these past three months. It's a different but welcomed side of him.

“Can you move?” He asks, his hands running down my arms to take hold of my hands. I manage a slight shake of my head.

“I… feel very… numb,” I croak out the words. “I don't… think I… have… much… strength yet.”

Kai nods, “Makes sense, since you've been out cold for the last five to six days. I'll help you,” he says, lifting me easily into his arms. He walks towards the bathroom and in my helpless state, helps me get ready, although he fumbles a few times while helping me into fresh clothes – I feel like he's turned into a blushing teenager, not quite knowing where to look.

I can't help but ask, “Have… you not… helped me… while… I was… unconscious?”

He shakes his head, “Apollo had a nymph come over to help out with changing your clothes,” he answers.

Once we're done, Kai brings me out to the dining table, setting me down in one of the seats. While Kai seems to putting together breakfast, I wonder about my tattoo. The first circle is already empty of ink, a sign I still don’t completely understand except that it is all related back to Cronus. I still haven’t told Kai, but maybe I should. I quietly clear my throat and prepare myself to tell him.

“Ka…i?” I say tentatively, my hands sweating a little from nervousness.

“Hm?” comes his reply as he brings over the food. “What is it, my love?” Kai smiles questioningly, as he places the food down before us.

“Um, I have… something… that I’ve… been hiding. I’ve… been meaning… to tell... you but – You remember… the day… I got… taken down… to… Tartarus?” I murmur, w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter