twenty

Goddess Mistaken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

twenty

Training with Kai feels a lot like what I’d always imagined hell to be like – a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Okay, I’m just exaggerating but he’s so serious about it that he’s working me like some pack mule. Also, imagine trying to fit in years of training into just a couple of hours. You’d think he’d go easy on me.

“Kai, you are one hell of a personal trainer,” I huff out after having just done several rather intense hours of exercise in a gym that I should have known Kai would have in this massive palace of his.

“Why, thank you,” Kai says as he continues lifting small hand-sized weights, flexing the muscles on his arms.

I narrow my eyes at him and he just grins right back. “You’re totally trying to show off,” I mutter, flopping down on the floor; the cool marble tiles feel nice against my sticky skin.

“Of course. Besides, you should exercise more often if you’re so easily out of breath from some running,” he shrugs.

“Shut up. It wasn’t just some running. You purposely made the treadmill go super-fast,” I glare, pointing an accusing finger at the said machine. Kai just laughs. “And aren’t you supposed to give me some tricks for close combat fighting in the case that Cronus decides to do that when I come up close to him? I’d even asked you to go easy on me, but nooo,” I drawl, rolling my eyes. “Anyway, I’m the one coming up with the plan remember? I need some easy moves – jabs, kicks, some elbow-to-stomach kind of moves.”

“Well, aren’t people always running away from the bad guys?” Kai asks, “Thought I’d do you a favour and have you practice some running. If you can’t even run away when the moment calls for it, then I don’t know what kind of plan you’re thinking of.”

“Never thought I’d see the day a god would tell me to run away from a fight,” I roll my shoulders and stretch my legs out on the floor. “I suppose you’re right but still, teach me some easy but powerful moves.”

Kai puts down the weights and comes to sit beside me cross-legged, “Then how about you give a rundown of whatever plan it is you have brewing in that head of yours, hm?” He says, tapping the side of my head for emphasis.

I think for a moment, going over my plan in my head. “Well, I’d say that like all villains in any movie, they often like to show off with some sort of spectacular display of their power, somewhere where they can get everyone’s attention easily. From what Zeus – uh, Chen, has told us, there’re large storm clouds gathering in a particular area at the moment. It’s obvious where he’ll be, right?”

Kai nods, “Okay, then what? We lure him out?”

“Yep. I’ll have you guys placed in strategic positions with full view of wherever we’re luring him out to and when the time is right, you’ll all jump in and trap him and somehow capture him.” I look at Kai as he contemplates my plan.

“Well, it’s so simple though,” he sighs, “Are you sure it’ll work?”

“What, are you doubting me?”

“Yeah,” he replies, “But then again, your plan is so simple Cronus would probably not even think of it. You’re no master strategist but it’ll have to do for now. We’ll have to be cunning; I don’t think we can use force this time – we’ve not nearly enough men for the job or for a large-scale war that I'm a hundred percent sure Cronus wants to happen.” Kai pats my head with a troubled smile, “I still don’t want you being involved in all this though.”

I take his hand in mine and clasp it tightly, “It’ll be fine. I have powers now that I can use as well, I’m not just some silly squishable human anymore. I can be tough too.”

“Right, I still think you’re pretty squishable to me,” Kai laughs, pulling me close to his chest. I roll my eyes at his comment and give him a look. “What, I prefer you being squishy than not. It feels nice to hold you,” he continues, lips quirking up in a silly grin.

“Sheesh, whatever. Let’s get back to you teaching me, we’re running out of time as it is,” I pout a little, pushing away from him. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind staying in his arms a little longer but knowing of the imminent danger, it kept gnawing at my thoughts.

Kai stands and pulls me up with him, “Well then, let’s train a little more before we leave the Underworld. But promise me, that if you do come too close to danger and need to fight, call for me. I’ll fight and protect you.”

Love swells up in my heart for him. I can see how much Kai has changed now for him to easily say such words to me. “Thanks, I’ll be sure to do that,” I reply with a smile.

***

After a few more hours of training until I could at least throw a sufficient punch and manage to do a relatively alright kick, Kai had me call up Zeus to meet us.

Zeus tells us to meet him at the “usual” place. I’m left confused as to where it is while Kai answers in the affirmative before ending the call.

“Where’s this ‘usual’ place?” I ask afterwards.

“You’ll see. Come on,” Kai says as he pushes me in the direction of the staircase, “Go get dressed. Clothes are on your bed – ask Tia if you need anything to eat. We’re leaving the Underworld in 10 minutes.”

“Wait, so we’re going… u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter