two

Goddess Mistaken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

two

After everything had happened, Kai didn’t say another word to me, seemingly too annoyed with my presence. He walked off between the columns, leaving me no choice but to follow him. I was bound to get lost if I tried to navigate this unknown place and cause more trouble instead. He walked several paces ahead of me, and I followed just close enough that I could at least see him when he turned the corner.

Eventually, the white expanse around us changed, and expanded into a beautiful Greek garden, the perimeter lined with the same white columns, a small pool in the centre with water-dwelling plants growing on the surface, the garden beds neatly lined and trimmed, and stone statues placed decoratively around. It looked like any other garden you might find in Greece, beautifully picturesque and absolutely stunning in its simplicity.

We walked along one edge of the garden, following the path to the entrance of a building. Once inside, Kai continued onwards, his clipped steps echoing in this marble expanse. I could only stare at everything in awe; surely, it is too beautiful for mortals to behold, and yet I am lucky to take in these sights. Except I’m stuck with a man, no, god who doesn’t even want to lay eyes on me anymore.

We pass by many floor-to-ceiling doors that looked to be made of marble, all closed, travelling up winding staircases, until he stops in front of one particular door with a gold nameplate on the front that said ‘Persephone’ and finally turns to look at me. He pushes open the heavy-looking door with ease and gestures inside, “This is your room. Do whatever you please here, but on this condition: do not, whatsoever, bother me or cause trouble in my domain. I will know, and you will pay for it,” he says, almost in a low growl, his obsidian eyes flickering dangerously.

I nod quickly and walk inside the room, turning around just as Kai walks away and the doors to my new room closing behind him. “I suppose I’ll have to get used to his sudden cold attitude,” I mutter, glancing around me. “Where’s that handsome gentleman I had bumped into earlier today?” I sigh, walking towards the huge bed.

There’s a canopy above the bed, the lightweight, semi-transparent material billowing in the breeze coming from the slightly ajar balcony doors. They draw my attention but I’m beginning to feel drowsy after being dragged down to the Underworld at Kai’s pace. Is that even his name? Who cares. I’ll just call him that, since all I can imagine when I think of Hades is a far more mature-looking man who doesn’t act as broodingly as Kai currently is. Like a typical teenage boy despite his rather attractive looks and charismatic aura.

I climb into the bed, letting the softness of the mattress draw me into the world of dreams so I don’t have to think about Kai.

***

Feeling the warmth of daylight, I woke up, pressing the heel of my palms against my eyes. Looking around, I feel disorientated at the unfamiliar surroundings. This is definitely not my bedroom, but soon enough, I remember where I am and a feeling of hopelessness wells up inside me, causing my eyes to water. I blink the oncoming tears away and focus on simply being in the present. Taking in a deep breath to calm myself, I then take a proper look around the room. I hadn't paid much attention at night from the drowsiness, and didn't notice just how extravagant the room really is.

It seemed the entire place was decorated in white and cream colours in a very Grecian style, but then again, this must be – no, it is – Hades’ palace in the Underworld and he’s a Greek God. I had imagined that being in the Underworld had no light but here I am, being bathed in the warm light streaming in from the balcony doors. Is it sunlight? But there can’t really be a sun underground, right? Are we even underground?

The more I questioned everything, the greater my confusion grew, but it was broken when my stomach decided to let out a hungry growl. Food! What am I supposed to eat? It’s not like I know where the kitchen is, and I certainly had not seen a single soul when we had arrived in the middle of the night – but who am I kidding? Of course, they’d be sleeping like a sensible person. Or so I hope.

Pulling away the covers and slipping out of bed, I let out a yawn just as I noticed a smaller door to my left. I guess there’s three doors then – with the huge main doors facing the foot of the massive bed, the balcony doors on the right side of the bed and the smaller door to the left, and all were within my view even while I lie on the bed. I could easily see anyone who came through the doors.

I make my way towards the small door, hoping it’d be a bathroom, and lo and behold, the size of the door betrayed just how large the room looked. A beautiful claw-foot bathtub sat as the centrepiece of the room, decorated with golden taps. A skylight allowed soft natural light to fill the room and seemed to spotlight the bathtub.

Everything about this palace was just extraordinary. I wonder briefly how expensive it would cost to recreate on Earth, and secretly giggle at the fact I get to use it all for myself. Deciding that I can’t wait for the evening when I usually take baths, I strip myself of my clothes piece by piece as I walked closer to it until I stood stark while remembering that I hadn’t the water yet. As soon as I thought that though, steaming water began to fill the tub.

“Oh my gosh, this is really crazy,” I said to myself while dipping my fingers in to test the temperature. It felt just right, so I carefully slipped into the water to enjoy myself. I found soap placed neatly next to me on a small table and picked them up, smelling each bottles’ contents and adding them to the water. It’s like someone is taking care of me from the shadows.

As soon as I finished, I put on one of the fluffy bathrobes that had been folded neatly and brushed my teeth. Mint toothpaste in the Underworld does seem a little out of place but hey, modern technologies are good for our own hygiene and I didn’t really want to walk around with smelly morning breath.

 

Finished with my morning routine, I went back into the bedroom to find someone unexpected. Kai sat at the small table on the balcony and there seemed to be a tray of breakfast ready. Cautiously, I walk towards him and hover by the open door, unsure of whether to greet him or not. His face still looked moody.

“Sit,” he said, so I did, pulling out the empty chair across from him. “Eat.” He pushed the tray towards me. I noticed that the food on the tray all had labels on the packages rather than presented on plates. Don’t tell me he actually went and bought Earth food for me? Was there something wrong with food in the Underworld?

“Eat anything here, and you will never be able to leave,” he answered. Oh no, I spoke aloud again.

I opened one of the brown paper bags and pulled out a gourmet sandwich. Huh, he has good taste. I take a bite and hummed happily at the deliciousness. Between enjoying bites of the sandwich and taking sips from the cup of hot chocolate, I notice Kai’s unceasing stare in my direction, watching as I ate. It felt a little creepy – I mean, who wants to watch someone else eating? – but I ignored him and hoped he doesn’t s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter