thirteen

Goddess Mistaken
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

thirteen

“Are you a demi-god?” Aphrodite asks, casting the room into silence. Whispers begin to float about as everyone begins to wonder about my identity. But it doesn’t help that I, the one under scrutiny, have no idea what on earth Aphrodite could be talking about. I know the gods tend to be… quite active in human affairs but for me to be the result of one? Impossible.

“That can’t possibly be true,” I say, “There’s no way I’m a demi-god. I can’t even do all that magical stuff like… making things float, or disappear and reappear, or conjure something out of nothing. It’s all impossible.”

Aphrodite doesn’t look convinced, so I continue, “And I’m very sure my parents are one hundred percent human and I am their child. The only thing that could possibly link me to Zeus is most likely the fact that I’m a Descendant of Persephone, and even that, I have no idea how it works.” Kai takes my hand in his and squeezes tightly, his trust in me giving me a boost of courage.

“I mean, you are the gods and goddesses, how am I supposed to know how this sort of thing works?” I ask, meeting each of them in the eyes. My gaze suddenly fall on a glass of the ambrosia the gods drink. I pick it up and hold it high, and from my peripheral, I see Kai stiffen in his seat. I know I shouldn't drink it but I can't help this feeling of bitter resentment that seems to well up inside of me from out of nowhere. “How about this? Ambrosia is poisonous to humans, no? I’ll drink this and prove to you that I’m no demi-god.” The words fall from my mouth one by one.

Kai stands at that moment in an attempt to stop me, but he is too late as I’ve already brought the glass of shimmering golden liquid to my lips, the ambrosia washing down my throat in a fiery burn. I cough, dropping the empty glass onto the table as Kai holds me close. My eyes widen in shock; what have I just done? My hands had moved on its own without my realising it.

Suddenly, Kai presses his lips to mine, perhaps trying to take away the ambrosia, but it’s a futile attempt as I feel every artery, every vein in my body burn with the golden liquid. I manage to gasp out an apology to Kai, “I’m sorry, Kai.” I reach towards his face, fingers grazing the side of jaw as my body falls limp and my mind becomes blank.

Each and every one of the Olympians become convinced at that moment that this girl is telling the truth, watching as her body slumped in Kai’s arms, his face ashen as he clutches her close, a hand resting on her cheeks. And each and every one of them freeze in their seats as Kai looks up, his eyes no longer the warm brown he had when he looked at her, but the steely pitch black obsidian that brought shivers down all their spines. Although Zeus seemed to watch on with amusement in his eyes.

The first to be on the receiving end of such a chilling stare from Kai is Aphrodite. Kai doesn't even blink once as Aphrodite shrinks under his gaze. “You...” his voice rumbles, “look what you have done with mere words.”

Aphrodite has no reply for his as opens and shuts wordlessly, her face paling the longer Kai glares at her.

Kai stands, bringing with him Persephone’s limp body, cradling her close as he leaves the room in long, clipped strides. Zeus stands from his seat and follows behind, motioning for Apollo and Artemis to follow. As soon as their footsteps are no longer heard, everyone nervously stands from the table and begin to leave the ballroom until only the Olympian gods are left behind.

They each look at one another, speaking with their eyes before also leaving one by one. Aphrodite is the last to leave with Ares supporting her. “I… but my mirror shows the truth. There is something we are not seeing,” she mutters, the cogs in her mind beginning to turn. “And it's right in front of our eyes.” Ares only nods along as they make their exit.

***

“Slow down, Brother,” Zeus says as he follows along behind Kai. “She will be just fine. Just let Apollo take a look at her,” he continues.

“Indeed, Uncle. What my father says is true. Apollo is the best at healing, and if you delay in having her treated, the more likely it is that what you fear may come true,” Artemis adds in an attempt to back her father up. Her br

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter