Hermès

The Idol & I

In 691 Madison Ave, New York, Hermès store, a young woman was seen pacing back and forth, asking questions to the sales associate. "What do you think would be the best gift for a.. 17 years old girl?"

"I would like to recommend..." Taeyeon ignored whatever she's saying as she spot something she likes, scratch that, someone she likes. Jessica Jung. On her phone screen, Television screen or whatever screen she has been watching her from, Jessica looked beautiful but now, looking at her with her own eyes was different. Jessica Jung possessed ethereal beauty. Taeyeon could have sworn that if this whole situation was a movie, the editor would have made it into slow motion and they would be focusing on her starstruck expression. If it's a comedy movie, drools would have had come out from the corner of . Taeyeon smiled unbeknownst to anyone. She walked towards her idol as she pretend to be so interested in the handbags that were close to the idol. Honestly, Taeyeon was not someone who bought branded stuffs. She wore them, but Sunny, her trusted personal assistant slash best friend, had always been the one choosing the stuffs. Being best friends since primary school, Sunny knew what kind of clothes she liked, which brands were her favorites, basically, Sunny knew all her preferences. Taeyeon had never missed her best friend more than that right moment. If Sunny was here, she would not need to choose what birthday present she should give to her sister and she could covertly gawk at Jessica Jung. Sighing, while still secretly following Jessica, she settled to buy her sister a bracelet and a wallet. She also did not forget to buy for Sunny, a random dark blue coloured handbag that looked the most appealing for her eyes.

After all this time, Taeyeon just realised that Jessica was with her sister, Krystal Jung. Their visuals and auras were overwhelming that Taeyeon literally stopped and stared for 2 seconds before the sales associate asked whether there's something wrong. She mumbled nothing to the sales associate before looking at the products that were close to the cashier counter as she waited for the idol and her sister to finish their payment.

"Soojung-ah, I think my card has gone over-limit. Lend me your card, first" Jessica said using Korean to her sister. She had noticed that a girl seemed to be following them but she let her be as the girl did not really do anything harmful to them. She figured that speaking Korean would be safe, less probability for the girl to understand.

"What? Unnie, I told you I left my wallet in the hotel" Krystal spoke in distraught manner. That caught Taeyeon's attention, she wondered whether she should step in or just pretend she's not Korean. They would not know anyway, Taeyeon thought. 

"Soojung, I cannot pay for this. My card is blocked, what to do, Soojung-ah?" The look in Jessica's eyes were desperate and it felt like a sort of cue for Taeyeon to step in.

"Sorry, may I know what's the problem here?" Taeyeon asked casually in her perfect American accent. She contemplated on personally asking her idol in Korean, but Taeyeon did not want to embarrass her so she decided to ask her in English. At least, she would think that I did not understand all her desperation, Taeyeon thought. Before anyone could reply, she continued. "Ah.. Honestly, I've been.." She cleared . "Checking you out for quite some time." She chuckled. "I know it's rude so let me buy you a present." She handed her card to the sales associate and told her that she'd pay for everything as the Jung sisters just stayed silent, too stunned over the situation. "A sorry gift." Taeyeon smiled as she gently takes Jessica's hand so that she can hold the 'gift'. "I'm sorry for being rude, but you're really breathtakingly beautiful. Hope I can see you again." Taeyeon winked at her before exiting the store. When she was all confident and flirty inside the store, as her left foot stepped outside, she cursed herself. All she could think of was, Taeyeon, now she would think you're a byuntae. Congratulations!

 

Reaching their hotel room, Jessica put the 'gift' on her bed as she stared at it. Her mind was jumbled. She was thankful, shocked, happy, sad, basically, it felt like all her emotions were mixed together. "Soojung-ah, who was she?"

"Just now? I don't know, I've never seen her before in any news, her face does not look familiar at all. I don't think she's Korean though, if she was, she could have asked us in Korean instead of English." Krystal took her biscuits and put it inside . "But unnie..." She swallowed. "She was very cool though but a little ed." She chuckled.

"Yah!" Jessica threw a pillow to her sister. "Don't remind me of her checking me out."

"But you started to talk about her first.. Anyway," She hugged the pillow. "If she was not ogling you, we would've been so embarrassed unnie. You should feel luckly that she finds you.. what did she say? Oh!" Krystal snapped her fingers, "Breathtakingly beautiful." She laughed

"Yah!" Jessica threw another pillow. "Stop teasing me!"

"She even winked at you, unnie," she laughed again. Seeing her little sister's state, Jessica could not help it and joinned the laugh. "But unnie, does that mean she's one of your fans or not? She makes it sound like it was her first time seeing you"

"Hmm..? I don't think she's one of my fans, Soojung-ah. She didn't sound nervous  at all. I-"

"Yes unnie, normally your fans would've asked for your picture, or shake hands or signature or something but she didn't do any of-"

"She kind of hold my hand, Soojung, when she handed me the 'gift'" 

"True.. I forgot about it.. Unnie, let's just forget about her. I don't think we'll ever meet her again."

"I don't think I can forget about her, Soojung-ah. Ahhhh!!" She screamed into the pillow to vent her frustation. "Hermès girl!! If we ever meet again, I hope I can at least get your name." Jessica mumbled as she stared at her 'gift'.

"Unnie, you're ok? You sound like you're into girls now." Krystal laughed at her unnie again before Jessica snatched the pillow Krystal was holding and hit her head with it.

 

Sighing and hitting the steering wheels lightly were all what Taeyeon has been doing since she got into her car. Why did I do that? I must be an idiot. She would remember me as a byuntae forever. Taeyeon-ah, congratulations!! Taeyeon stopped hitting the steering wheels as she started to feel the pain but banged her head once to the window. After sort of calming down herself, she sighed for the last time and drove to Aunt Nancy's house with James Blunt's song, "You're Beautiful" playing. Nancy Lee, or Nancy Kim like what people call her now, lost both of her parents in a car accident and Taeyeon's grandparents who were close to her family decided to adopt the child.

"Auntie, I'm back!" Taeyeon shouted as she entered the house with her shopping stuffs. "I bought the cake!!"

"Oh! Hayeonnie will come home soon," Aunt Nancy took the plastic containing the cake and put the cake on the table. "I'll set all the candles first, so later we only need to light up the candle."

"Is she coming home real soon?" Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows, "Don't we need to put it inside the fridge first?"

"Taeyeon-ah, she'll be here in 5 minutes."

"What?!"

"You took your own sweet time to shop, honey" Aunt Nancy was finally done in putting all the candles.

"A-ah.. it's almost 5 already, I didn't realise." Taeyeon scratched her not-itchy nape. "I hope she'd be happy though, although daddy's not here"

"Taeyeon-ah, she'd be ecstatic to see her older sister is here in New York just for her birthday"

"I hope so.." Taeyeon mumbled as she put some fruits she bought on the way home in the fridge, Taeyeon then decided to enter her sister's room. She put Hayeon's present on her study table and looked around her sister's room. Nothing much has changed, she noticed. She remembered vaguely from 2 years ago, a photo frame with the same picture was still there, a violin hard case was still at the corner of the room and numerous post-its on her wall. Taeyeon chuckled, it's a habit that Hayeon took from her as both of them were quite forgetful over simple things.

"Tae-taeyeon unni?" Hayeon dropped her school bag as she ran to hug Taeyeon.

"Aigoo, my Hayeonnie grew taller," Taeyeon ruffled her sister's hair as she dragged her sister to sit on the bed. "How is everything?"

"Unnie, I miss you," Hayeon hugged her sister again as she sobbed. "I thought this year w-would be like last year, unnie. Why you or daddy didn't come to New York?"

"As much as you hate to hear it, Hayeon-ah, we were busy. Daddy was devastated over Aunt Audrey's death and I needed to take care of the company," Taeyeon patted her sister's head softly as she let her sister to continue hugging her.

"B-but unnie.. I thought, you're not supposed to work until next year?" Hayeon broke the hug and stared into her sister eyes.

"Hmm..? No, I started to work bits by bits ever since I entered University. It's just that, my identity will be revealed next year. Up till now, everyone only thought I'm a random rich kid," she chuckled, "I've never stepped my foot on any of daddy's company, you know. His assistant would bring the work to our home." The sisters became silent for a while.

"Sunny unnie is not with you?"

"She's staying in Korea to keep me updated on what's going on in the company. Why? Do you miss her too?"

"Yes, unnie. Oh! That means you travel alone? Where's my present? I want to see it!! Sunny unnie didn't help you choose at all?" Hayeon stood up and went to her study table. "Unnie, these things are.. so expensive", Taeyeon smiled at her sister.

"You sound like you've never worn any expensive things before, Kim Hayeon," she ruffled her sister's hair again as her sister kept mum, checking her presents, "At least use one of those, so I'd be happy." After catching up with her sister, both of them went downstairs for dinner. It was a happy day for Taeyeon as she saw her sister smiling and laughing happily. She was pleased at herself as she remembered her decision several years ago, when she was 17. She told her daddy that she'd handle K Group as long as her little sister can choose whatever she wants to do. Taeyeon was perfectly aware that her sister did not have any interest in business.

 

"Unnie, do you know what did I wish for?" Hayeon asked her sister as both of them were lying on her bed.

"No, would you tell me?"

"I wished that you'd meet Jessica Jung," Hayeon turned her head to face Taeyeon grinning.

"I already met her," Taeyeon smiled at her sister and patted her head, "Thank you though, all your wishes has always been about my goals and dreams or daddy's. You should learn to wish for yourself too, Hayeonnie."

"What? You met her? When?" Hayeon ignored Taeyeon's previous hope and just asked the question. Taeyeon then told her sister everything, leaving not even a single detail behind. "Pftt, unnieee... you're such a byuntae!!!"

"Yah! I-I-I did-didn't want to embarrass her, ok? At least, even if the employees gossip around, they'd remember me more than her. A byuntae customer would always be a more funny story than some girls' credit cards which are blocked. I-"

"It was such a cool act though, without the 'checking her out' of course. If I were her, I'd remember you forever unnie-"

"As a byun-"

"As a byuntae who knows manners," Hayeon's words made her sister stopped whining, "You should give yourself a little credit, you saved her from embarrassment. Just like what you said, people would remember you more. She'd realise that you saved her, unnie."

"Aigoo, my Hayeonnie has grown a bit smarter also. I thought it's only your height," both of them chuckled

"But unnie, if I don't stop growing by this year, you realise I'd be much taller than you, right? I'm slightly taller than you already"

"Goodnight," Taeyeon turned her body back facing her sister

"Unnieeee, talk to me... Stop sulking, you're old already," she shook her sister's body

"Night.."