Chapter 5

Assassination Squad

"NOO!! LET ME GO!! DON'T STOP ME!! I NEED TO GO INSIDE! MAKNAE IS STILL IN THERE! DAESUNG IS STILL IN THERE!!"

"Stop it! Jiyong! Youngbae! Seunghyun!! The firefighters are trying their best! It's too dangerous!! You can't go inside!" Mdm Seo along with a few adults were restraining the three boys from going into the burning mansion. The boys were desperate. They flailed their arms attempting to break off the adults' hold but to no avail. They could only stare down at the burning mansion with tears streaming down their eyes like waterfall, the window to their soul losing life and hope for every dead body carried out. Despite the many dead bodies, some survived, but the children that survived did not include their maknaes. Soon, the boys were down on their knees, losing the strength to stand and witness the death of their many familiar friends.

Similarly, Jennie and Jisoo were crying their eyes out, to the point that the tears were unconsciously poured out.

"It's unnie's fault. It's my fault. I should have gone back with Chaeyoung..... It's me..." Both girls mumbled the same thing over and over again. No matter what Mdm Seo or whoever said anything didn't get through at all. Only the dead children that got out of the mansion filled their eyes with fresh tears once again.

After an hour of fighting with the fire, the rest of the bodies that weren't saved were taken out. One by one, the bodies were laid on the ground. Everyone, including Jiyong, Youngbae, Seunghyun, Jennie and Jisoo walked closer.

"NOO!!! HYE SOO AH!!" One of the girls screamed as she covered with one hand. Her bile threatening to spill. She recognised one of the dead bodies as her sister. The girl named Hye Soo originally had honey blond hair, but she was covered in ash now and her hair turned a dirty ash gray. Bruises and cuts were seen along her exposed burnt arms and legs. The most horrifying scene was that her right eye was apparently crushed by something. Some of the younger ones couldn't take it and vomited on the spot while the rest of the girls and boys turned away and hugged each other, seeking comfort. As some of the children were heavily disfigured, they weren't able to identify their identities immediately so they had to sent them to the hospital.

"Let me go! Please! I need to know if my maknaes are still alive!!" Jiyong pleaded desperately. Youngbae and Seunghyun were at his side, nodding to his pleas. Mdm Seo contemplated for awhile but decided otherwise.

"Alright. Let's go." Mdm Seo nodded understandingly as she led them to her car so that she can follow the ambulance immediately. The boys followed her anxiously to her car. When Mdm Seo unlocked her car door, they heard small quiet footsteps behind them. And the next thing she knew, two small delicate hands grabbed hers.

"M-Mdm S-Seo...... C-Can you bring us a-along? W-We want to know whether our maknaes are still alive." Jisoo choked on her tears, one hand holding onto Jennie's.

"Girls...... Alright then. Get inside. The ambulance is leaving." Mdm Seo nodded firmly before slipping into the driver's seat. She the engine and drove carefully behind the ambulance, making sure to not lose them.

~~~

The hospital was dead silent, except for nurses and doctors shuffling anxiously about, trying to save lives. The unidentified dead bodies were sent to be identified as the lounge was filled with children from the orphanage. Some waiting for the news, some accompanying their friends. Nobody said anything for the rest of the waiting time. The atmosphere was tense and thick, making the sobbing kids hard to breath. After waiting for another 20 minutes, the door to the lounge slid open, revealing a nurse dressed in white. The angel of the hospital. She hugged a file in her arms and her facial expression was solemn. As soon as she stepped in, everyone stood up immediately.

"Are the results out?" Mdm Seo asked, representing everyone. The nurse nodded as she flipped open the ring file.

"I'll announce the names of the deceased now." The nurse said out loud and clear for everyone in the room. The children visibly stiffened, preparing for the worse to come.

"There are a total of 10 children that are unidentified when brought in. After picking out their DNAs, these are their names. Nam In Sung, Pil Li Ri, Kim Soo In, Kim Soo Bin, Penny Lee, Wendy Kwon, Gong Woo Hye, Won Jae Seung, Goo Tara... and Han Tae Ji." With that, different reactions exploded around the room. Loud wails were heard as soon as a name was announced. However 5 children in the corner were not wailing. They breathed a huge sigh of relief.

"Maknae's not dead... Daesung too..." Jiyong mumbled to himself, seemingly not believing the truth.

"Yeah... They're not dead. But where are they?" Youngbae followed, still stuck in a trance.

"Let's report this to the police! We may still be able to find them!" Seunghyun is the only one to react realistically. His voice brought both younger best friends out of their thoughts.

"Yes... Yes! Let's go!" Jiyong nodded as the trio pushed their way out of their lounge.

On the other hand, both girls Jennie and Jisoo slumped down onto the couch. Too relieved for words to be exchanged. For awhile, both girls didn't say anything.

"U-Unnie... Lisa and Chaeyoung are not d-dead..." Jennie whispered after the long silence. Jisoo nodded slowly, eyes b with tears. Tears of joy and relief. Both girls hugged each other tightly, heart full of hope.

~~~

"Police-nim! Listen to me! Our maknaes are missing! The fire at the orphanage! We can't find them! They are not dead! Please help us!!" Jiyong held onto the police desperately. Youngbae managed to pry his friend away from hurting the police because of his desperacy.

"Yes. We know that. We have sent our colleagues out to find them. Lee Seunghyun, Kang Daesung, Park Chaeyoung and Lalisa Manoban. Their names weren't mentioned in the unidentified. There's a slight chance that they're alive." Hearing that their maknaes might be alive brought a smile onto their faces.

"Give us some time. I'm sure there'll be news on their whereabouts soon." The police smiled and reassured them with a pat on their shoulders. The boys nodded appreciatively and went back to the lounge.

"Hyung, the two girls that were mentioned. Do you know them? They were missing along with maknae and Daesungie." Jiyong asked tiredly.

"No. I think they're from the left wing." Seunghyun replied and yawned, fatigue hitting them full force.

"I think they're the maknaes of the girls that came with us in Mdm Seo's car." Youngbae recalled.

"Oh. Them." Jiyong remembered as they walked into the lounge. Many had already exited. Most possibly to see their friends or siblings the last time. The only ones left were Jennie and Jisoo. Jennie fell asleep on Jisoo's shoulder and she didn't have the heart to wake her sister up. And Mdm Seo isn't here as well.

"Annyeonghaseyo..." Jiyong greeted awkwardly. Jisoo raised her eyes at the boys standing in front of her, slightly intimidated.

"Jiyong! You're scaring her!" Youngbae accused.

"What?! I'm not!" Jiyong protested.

"Yes you clearly are!"

"Urgh!! If Seungri was here, we wouldn't be so awkward!!" Jiyong ruffled his hair messily. At the mention of the maknae, the boys' eyes fell to the ground. Seungri has always been the social butterfly or in his case social panda in their group. He didn't have any trouble communicating with anyone. Awkward doesn't exist in his dictionary.

"I'm Choi Seunghyun." Seunghyun tried to be friendly but came out to be intimidating instead.

"Hyung! You're too scary! ......But at least you tried. HAHAHAHA" Both best friends laughed together.

"Kekekekeke....." The laughter from the boys stopped when Jisoo giggled and laughed.

"Owh! We broke the ice! Anyway, I'm Dong Youngbae and this idiot here is Kwon Jiyong!" Youngbae introduced as he slumped his arm around Jiyong's shoulders, earning an annoyed look from his friend.

"Jisoo. I'm Kim Jisoo." Jisoo introduced as she nudged her sister awake before standing and taking a little bow.

"Wae...?" Jennie woke up blearily. Rubbing her eyes clear of sleep, she saw her sister standing up in front of three boys. On instinct, she stood up immediately as well, embarrassed that she was the only one that was sitting down.

"I'm Jennie. Jennie Kim." She said hurriedly as she flattened out her skirt and shirt with her hands.

"Nice to meet you girls. Sorry to ask but are you related to Park Chaeyoung and Lalisa Manoban?" Jiyong asked and he immediately regretted when he saw the girls stiffen up at the mention of the names.

"Y-yeah... Actually no. They're just very close dongsaengs of ours. We are not blood related. Why?! Do you have their news?!" Jisoo asked, hopeful.

"No... We just heard their names mentioned alongside our maknaes. It seems like the four of them are the ones that disappeared. They might be alive though. The police are working on it." Youngbae patted Jisoo's head gently, knowing how they felt.

"Oh...." Their eyes fell to the ground.

"Do you girls have a plan after this?" Seunghyun asked suddenly.

"No... The Orph was our home. Now that it has been burnt down...... We have no place to stay." Jennie shook her head sadly. They hadn't thought of that yet. The boys exchanged meaningful and expressive glances before deciding.

"How about you come with us? Seunghyun hyung's going to be an adult soon, we can live together if you girls don't mind. We'll find them together. For all we know, our maknaes might be with each other." Youngbae offered hopefully.

"W-w-what? Y-you sure?" Jisoo blinked multiple times at the boys.

"Yeah. Why not?" Jiyong smiled.

"T-Thank you!! I hope we won't be much trouble!" Jisoo thanked them as she bowed down 90 degrees along with Jennie.

"Don't worry! I'm sure the police will be able to find them soon!" Youngbae assured, but it wasn't true.

Days, months and years passed, but not a single news of them was heard.

 

Annyeong!! Thank you for your support!! Thankyu my subscribers!! I'm pretty awkward with words so byebye! Lol. I can't color my words :(

-Yuui-