CHAPTER 04

ATH3NA; Rise Of The Goddesses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 04

THE FINAL FITTING

 

Thursday, 14 Jan 2016

"What?" Haneul tried her very best not to sound judgemental, she really did, but she couldn't believe what she's hearing, coming from her cousin who had always been very realistic and sensible, "Are you joking around right now, oppa? Because if you are, it's not funny." 

"No! I'm not joking! I'm dead serious! This is very serious Haneul-ah.. I'm very worried about you," Jaejoong said, his face and voice mirrored his words, causing Haneul to sigh as she tried to comprehend what he's saying.

"But oppa, you're not the type who believes in this kind of thing.. You had always laughed at me and scolded me for reading horoscope and stuff.. so why the sudden change now? What makes you believe what this fortune teller told you?" Haneul asked. 

Jaejoong sighed. He understands why his cousin is confused about his sudden change of belief. Putting himself in her position, he would be too. However, he had his reasons. He was indeed suspicious at first, but upon hearing what the fortune teller had said and how the rest of his camp mates said that his readings were on point for all of them, he was left with no choice but to believe and take precaution. He couldn't lose her. 

"I know, Haneul-ah.. Honestly, I wasn't even interested to be there. But since we were given half a day out after lunch as we had some office errands to do, the boys wanted to have their fortune read for this year. And surprisingly, his reading for all of them were on point. Initially, I didn't want to take part in it but after the boys pressured me to, I decided what harm could it bring," Jaejoong explained as he told her his side of the story from the start and Haneul listened as she looked at how his face frowned upon recalling everything, "The fortune teller asked me to choose as many cards as I want but to have what they represented in my mind, and so I choose 4.. career, friendship, love and family. As I turned over each card, he explained what each one meant. For career, he said I'll be back to doing what I love most but it won't be easy. He said I'll have to choose certain things in future and reminded me to be careful and level headed whenever I make those choices. For friendship, he said I'll be reunited with some friends whom I had lost along the years. He told me to put my ego aside and embrace those friendships again but honestly, I don't really see this one coming true as of right now." 

"And that's why he said to put your ego aside. It's one of the thing that's holding you back most of time you know," Haneul intervened, grinning while he rolled his eyes at her words. 

"Whatever.. And continuing on, he said I'll find love soon," Jaejoong continued but only to be cut by Haneul again. 

"What?! That's great! When? Who? Where?" Haneul asked, excitement evident in her voice as her face suddenly lights up as she held onto his right hand. 'He'll probably focus less on me when he finally has a new girlfriend,' Haneul thought to herself when she's reminded on how committed and devoted Jaejoong was when he's in love.

"How am I supposed to know? And why are you so excited? Don't think you can get rid of me so easily young lady," Jaejoong said and Haneul feigned her ignorance by shaking her head innocently, and Jaejoong ruffled her hair as he continued, "Well, he did say she's someone I never expected as she's too close to me and that we have this love-hate thing going on. But other than that, nothing much was said. And now, its the last card.. family. When he turned over the card, he was shocked. Actually, he looked more frightened than shocked. It was the death card and he said that it was very rarely pulled from the stacks given. As there are a few death cards, the one I had pulled out was the worst one because it means that he or she will die doing or chasing what brings her to life."

Haneul's goosebumps raised upon hearing Jaejoong's last sentence. She had always believed in things like horoscope and fortune reading but as much as she's pretty afraid right now, she can't afford to let it hold her back. Besides, it might not be her since the fortune teller said it's his family members.

"I see.. I understand why you're afraid but it doesn't mean that person has to be me right? It could be anyone from our family," Haneul was saying but this time, it was Jaejoong who cuts her off. 

"Haneul-ah, you know that I have noone else right? There's only you and your mother as my family," Jaejoong said and Haneul sighed as she squeezed his hand tight.

Of course she knew. After Jaejoong had chosen to follow his dreams, the rest of their family members, and even the ones who had adopted him when he was given away, threw him out. He was practically struggling on his own when he first reached out to her mother when they were in Manhattan. From then on, he considered himself having no family except for the 2 of them. So of course she knew, how could she not when she witnessed how broken he was.

"Of course I know.. But that doesn't mean that I have to give up my dreams right? Besides, if you are in my position and was told about this when you were chasing for your dreams in the past, would you have given them up?" Haneul asked as she looked directly in his eyes, and Jaejoong sighed as he replied a soft 'No', and she continued, "See.. This is my dream and it's finally coming true.. Please don't stop me from doing what I love.." 

Jaejoong looked into the eyes of the younger girl and he saw himself, the younger version of himself when he was chasing for his dreams and would do anything to make it come true. He saw the same burning passion, the same desire, and he knew he couldn't stop her. No, he wouldn't stop her because he knew how exactly how she feels. 

Sighing for the umpteen times today, Jaejoong nodded his head and said, "Fine, I won't stop you. I'm sorry that I even stupidly thought of it. Perhaps I was just too worried about losing you. As your only big brother, I swear I will support you all the way. BUT! You have to promise me that you will take good care of yourself okay.. That and never forget me. I get lonely too you know..." 

Smiling as she kissed his hand that she had been holding as a sign of gratitude for his understanding - something that she always do when she's thankful towards him, Haneul said, "Thank you oppa.. And of course I won't forget you. But you can't expect me to be there 24/7 because I have endless training and rehearsals and my upcoming schedule is packed to the brim. Your loneliness is the reason why I said you have to find yourself a girlfriend..."

Chuckling at her last statement, Jaejoong flicked her forehead lightly and said, "I don't need a girlfriend.. I'll survive without one as how I had been doing for the past few years..." 

"Hmmm.. Your last one.. She hurt you that bad huh... Or are you turning gay?" Haneul cheekily replied, earning a light smack at the back of her head. 

"No, I'm not turning gay and I don't even remember who the last one was.." Jaejoong replied and Haneul laughed, the tension atmosphere between them had gradually began to fade. Looking at the left over foods, Jaejoong looked at Haneul and said, "I think I shall make a move now. You guys still need to practice right?" 

"Hmmm, yeah.. Can you call them in for me? I think they are probably at the open pantry," Haneul said and Jaejoong nodded his head. As the older guy stood up, he planted a soft kiss on her head as he bid her farewell and wished her all the best. Jaejoong was about to make his move when she grabbed his hand and said, "Before you leave, can you please apologise to Eunhee-eonnie? What you said to her was really harsh oppa.." 

Jaejoong sighed and nodded his head as he then left the room. However, to his surprise, the group of people he was looking for, including Eunhee and Taeyang, were sprawled on the floor just outside of the practice room.

"Urh.. Were you guys.. urhm.. listening?" Jaejoong asked as he watched them getting up on their feets. 

"No.. Why would we? We were just too tired to go to the pantry," Eunhee replied and Jaejoong nodded his head, showing them that he trusts her words.

"Hmmm.. Jaejoong-oppa, are you done talking to Haneul? I'm still very hungry and we still have to practice later," Jooeun said and Jaejoong nodded his head as he apologised.

"Yes, I'm done.. I'm really sorry about just now. Something.. urhm.. happened and I didn't know what came over me. I'm really sorry," Jaejoong said as he bowed, showing that he's sincerely sorry, and the rest of them panicked as they shook their heads. He was, afterall, way senior than any of them there.

"No, we understand.. It's okay.." Jiyong said with a smile as he then grabbed the first aid kit that Manager Joonyup had passed to him before going off for dinner and said, "I shall go in and bandage Hannie's leg now. Do you want to join us for dinner? We have more than enough foods inside.."

Knowing that it'll probably be uncomfortable for some of them, especially after what had happened today, Jaejoong shook his head and said, "No, its fine.. I'm in the mood for super spicy jjampong and soju instead so I'll call some of my friends down."

"Ooh.. Jjampong sure sounds nice.. Now I feel like getting some," Seungri commented, and everyone agreed as they laughed at his statement. 

Although the tense atmosphere had slowly dissipated, it was still slightly awkward for them to be standing at the hallway and stare at each other. Jiyong broke the ice as he bid Jaejoong farewell and re-entered the room,  followed by Seungri, T.O.P and Jooeun. Eunhee and Taeyang was about to follow suit when Jaejoong stopped the female leader. 

"Urh.. Eunhee-sshi, can I talk to you for a minute?" Jaejoong asked.

Surprised, Eunhee exchanged glances with Taeyang but as the older guy nodded his head assuringly with a small smile, Eunhee nodded and followed Jaejoong as he leads the way down the hall towards the lift. As they stopped right in front of the lift, Jaejoong and Eunhee looked at each other awkwardly for a few deafening silence seconds before he cleared his throat. 

"Hmmm.. I'm really sorry about earlier.. I didn't mean to doubt or question your leadership," Jaejoong was saying but, out of annoyance and still a tad bit of anger in her, Eunhee unconsciously cut him.

"Well, it sure does sound exactly that way though," Eunhee said but upon realising that she had said that out loud, she bit her lips and avoid looking at the older guy who seemed equally surprised as he stared at her. 

"Well, I didn't mean it that way at all.." Jaejoong said as he waited for further intrusion but since Eunhee didn't say anything, he continued, "I was just really worried about her. I had my fortune read and it says she would die.. Well, a family member of mine would die."

Upon hearing what Jaejoong had said, Eunhee's head shot up as she looked at him and asked, "What? When? I mean.. What did the fortune teller say?"

Flashing a small gentle smile, Jaejoong said, "You believed in fortune tellers and all those things too?"  

"Well, I'm a girl too right? Of course I believed in those things.. But it depends too.. So, what did he or she say?" Eunhee replied and asked as he looked at Jaejoong worriedly. 

"He didn't say anything much.. He said that the death card that I pulled meant that one of my family member will die doing something that gives her life.. And seeing how I only had Haneul and her mother as my family, who else could it be? So thats why I was very worried and acted rashly. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings," Jaejoong said and Eunhee nodded her head as she finally understands why he acted so out of character. Well, that doesn't mean he hasn't been so over protective of Haneul throughout the years though. He had always been but today was, in some other words, hysterical and crazy.

"It's okay.. I understand.. Maybe.. Well, just maybe, I would do the same thing if I were you too," Eunhee replied with a small smile. 

"Maybe.. But that doesn't mean what I did was right.. I'm really sorry.." Jaejoong apologised again and this time, Eunhee nodded as she forgave him. As awkward silence engulfed them once again, Eunhee thought they were settled and so she was about to ask the permission to return to the practice room as she was still hungry when Jaejoong said, "Yah.. Don't you think you need to apologise too? Your words were very harsh too. And worst, you even threw a chicken bone at me!"

Upon remembering the chicken bone scenario, Eunhee had to bite her lips to stop herself from laughing as she then muttered, "You were asking for it..."

Shocked at the younger girl's cheeky reply, Jaejoong closed the gap between them as he bend down and said, "What did you just say?"

Jaejoong's action caught Eunhee offguard. He was standing so close towards her that she could feel his fresh minty breath on her face. 'Oh, he smells good. Is that shampoo or cologne? And was he chewing gums earlier? His breath smells... What the hell Lee Eunhee?!' Eunhee thought as she mentally slaps herself the moment she snapped back to reality and realised where her mind was going. Eunhee thought of taking a step or 2 backwards but it was then she realised that she was already standing against the wall, and her mind raced to find a solution. Silently thanking God for the dimlight that hides her blushing red face, Eunhee gently pushed Jaejoong's shoulder to backaway and it was then the older guy realised he was standing too close. 

Clearing  to break the super awkward between them, Eunhee said, "Urh.. Fine, I'm sorry too. I didn't mean to be so harsh either."

Flashing his award winning smile, Jaejoong said, "Okay.. We're settled then. But hmmm.. Before I go off, can I request som

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter