CHAPTER 07

ATH3NA; Rise Of The Goddesses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 07

THE DEBUT SHOWCASE

 

Sunday, 14 Feb 2016

As he made his way to meet his childhood bestfriend for the first time in 4 years, EXO's famous rapper Park Chanyeol was more than just excited. He was ecstatic. Looking at the beautiful bouquet of flowers in his hands, his usual goofy grin spread across his face as he recalled teasing her the night before that he won't be bringing anything for her. 'I wonder how she'll react upon seeing this,' Chanyeol thought to himself, grinning as he looked at his phone to check for any incoming messages. He had been doing so for every few minutes that he was beginning to annoy his plus-one that's seated beside him.

"Yah, stop checking your phone every 5 minutes and relax.. We're arriving soon and she's probably getting ready right now," EXO's main vocalist and one of Chanyeol's closest friend amongst the many EXO members, Byun Baekhyun said as he shook his head and chuckled at his best friend's behaviour.

"I know.. I.. I just want to be sure that we won't be late.. I don't want to be late.. She wasn't late for our debut showcase ya know.. I just want to be there for her on one of the biggest day of her life as how she had always been there for me," Chanyeol replied and Baekhyun nodded his head understandingly.

"Yes, I know you want to be there for her, Yeol-ah.. But looking at your phone every few minutes wouldn't change anything. Besides, we're just around the corner.. We'll be there in no time and still be early to check up on them if we're allowed to," Baekhyun said, smiling reassuringly, and Chanyeol nodded.

As they fell into comfortable silence, Chanyeol smiled as he looked at Baekhyun who has turned to look at his phone. Although the 2 of them tease, bicker and argue with each other on a daily basis, there was no doubt that they were very close with each other and Baekhyun is one of the members that really understands him. Thus, when his mother was not able to join him and he has to bring one of instead, he thanked God and Heaven that it was him that he has miraculously picked during the draw lots where he has to fairly pick out a member's name from the container that his leader has prepared.

"Yeol-ah, how long have you been friends with her again?" Baekhyun asked, snapping the boy out of his daydream. 

"Hmmm.. Since I was 6 I think? I don't exactly remember when but I know it's when she moved in to live in the same building.. Why?" Chanyeol asked. 

"Ahhh, nothing.. I was just asking because you talked a lot about her but you never really tell us the story of how you became friends with her. And, which one is she again in ATH3NA? I know her name is Shin Jooeun but it's hard to recognise when they all have platinum grey hair. I don't want to embarrass myself and greet the wrong girl," Baekhyun said, grinning, and Chanyeol almost smacked him for not knowing when he has actually met the girl before.

"Yah! How can you not know?! You met her before! I just told you that she came for our debut showcase!" Chanyeol said but seeing the blur expression on his friend's face, he sighed and said, "She's the one with short, slightly darker platinum grey hair. But during the showcase, she has long dark red hair.."

Upon remembering who he was referring to, Baekhyun snapped his fingers and said, "Ahhh! I remember! She's the one that Luhan-hyung had his eyes on and he even confessed to her that she was his style! And then you got so angry that you dragged her away from all of us. She was the one, am I right?"

Blushing red as the embarrassing moment was brought up, Chanyeol nodded his head and said, "Yes.. And then you guys thought she was my girlfriend.. She was so surprised and embarrassed when Suho-hyung and Kris-hyung started introducing her to everyone there as my girlfriend.. Stupid idiots."

Laughing as he recalled those memories, Baekhyun said, "But that, you can't blame them! You were the one who gave the wrong idea! You dragged her out when Luhan-hyung was hitting on her. Who wouldn't have thought that she was your girlfriend? Anyway, when was the last time you meet her?"

Still blushing red, Chanyeol decided to ignore whatever that Baekhyun had said and simply answer his last question. "Our debut showcase.. that was the last time I met her. So, it should be about 4 years? Yeah, 4 years.." Chanyeol said, smiling sadly, and Baekhyun understood the reason behind the smile.

"I guess it can't be helped huh.. It's one of the sacrifice we have to make to be an idol.. But hey, at least you get to meet her now. And since we'll probably share stage every now and then, you'll get to meet her more often," Baekhyun said and Chanyeol nodded, grinning excitedly at the thought of sharing the stage with his bestfriend. It was, after all, one of their shared dreams. 

As they continued talking, the 2 boys soon arrived at the Olympic Park. Looking at the huge number of reporters and fans already gathered outside, the 2 boys looked at each other worriedly. As they're going to a personal event, they did not have any bodyguards to help them fend off any overly excited fans and just the thought of being in the middle of the huge crowd sent chills down their spine. They had enough experience to know what those fans can do.

"Hyung, how are we going to enter like this? I don't think we'll make it out alive and in 1 piece if you let us off here," Baekhyun said, frowning as he looked at their manager who is the one who drove them there in their company van. 

Chuckling at Baekhyun's exaggerating statement, EXO's manager said, "Of course I won't let you off here. I'll drive you to the back door entrance and the staffs will guide you to your VIP seats."

Both boys nodded and dramatically thanked their manager for not sending them to their deaths. After going around in circles a couple of times, they finally arrived at the back door entrance. After the usual reminders - to answer any interview questions with their agency's given model answer, to not be overly friendly or touchy with any girls no matter how close they actually are as there are always cameras lurking around to capture any wrong movement, and to always be poised and careful of their idol image, the 2 boys stepped out of the van. 

"Call me when you guys are done. Don't be out too late as you still have practice tomorrow," their manager said and once they replied and closed the door behind them, their manager went off.

"Let's go?" Baekhyun asked, and Chanyeol smiled and nodded as he felt the excitement and nervousness fluttering in his stomach. Finally, he's meeting his one and only childhood bestfriend. Finally, he's meeting his Shin Jooeun. 

'Joonie joonie, here I come!'

"Girls, you're left with 15 minutes and then you're up! Minjung and team, check on their in-ear monitors and make sure everything is working," Manager Soohwan said, and both ATH3NA and their fashion coordinator team nodded. 

Dressed in their first outfit - Eunhee's, Jooeun's and Haneul's - and ready to hit the stage, ATH3NA was extremely nervous. Although this wasn't the first time that they are performing in front of thousands of people, this would be their first time to perform in front of such a huge crowd as ATH3NA. Hearing the loud fan chants and cheers coming from the performance hall, the 3 girls could feel the adrenaline rushed in their system and their heart beats so fast that they could barely breathe. 

"Alright girls, your in-ear monitors are ready.. You're good to go," Minjung said, and the 3 girls simply nodded as their nerves were really getting to them. 

While waiting for their cue to head out, ATH3NA did their best to calm their nerves down by jumping up and down, warming up their vocals and did a few stretches. They were doing their own calming down activities when someone knocked on the door, shocking the hell out of them. Thinking that it was time for them to hit the stage, they were about to gather to do their group cheer when the door opened to reveal that it was none other than their seniors Big Bang, 2NE1, WINNER, iKON and Akdong Musician who have come to support them. Their spacious dressing room suddenly became overcrowded that it was difficult for anyone to move, but ATH3NA was really grateful for their presence as they managed to calm down listening to the silly conversations.

"Wow! Now you girls look like a YG baby," Mino said with his overdramatic hip hop gesture, and everyone laughed at how true yet silly his statement was.

"Yessaahh! Our new YG babies are ready to bring the house down!" Seungyoon said in a really funny voice which caused everyone to laugh even louder.

While everyone was busy talking over one another and laughing at the random silly jokes, Jiyong and Taehyun had their eyes on Haneul. Jiyong knew the younger girl was trying to avoid eye contact with him. She had been avoiding him ever since he gave her the shoes and he wondered if he had hurt her or offended her in any way that he wasn't aware off. Looking down at her feet, Jiyong frowned as he realised that she wasn't wearing the shoes that he has bought for her. 'Maybe she doesn't like them, or she doesn't like me.. I guess she doesn't like me.. But that's good, right? She should not like me anyway,' Jiyong thought to himself, turning to look away from Haneul as he felt his heart squeezed in pain. It has been a while since he felt this kind of pain. 

However, what Jiyong didn't know was that his presence was driving her crazy. Ever since he kissed her, or maybe even before that, Haneul's heart would race and she would have breathing problems whenever she laid her eyes on him. Her mind would be a huge mess and shut down whenever she hears his voice. She wasn't sure what all this means but she was sure that she wouldn't want him around her for the time being until she has sort out what is it that she's feeling for him. Taehyun, on the other hand, noticed the awkwardness between the two of them and he couldn't help but to wonder if anything has happened. He has a strong urge to ask Haneul but he knew this isn't the right time, and knowing the younger girl, she probably wouldn't tell him too. 

A sudden knock on the door caused everyone to immediately stop talking as they turned their attention to the wide open entrance. "ATH3NA, it's time," Manager Jisoo and the 3 girls took a deep breath and they looked at each other, the wild adrenaline rushed they felt earlier returned with a full force. This was the cue for the seniors to go to their seats while ATH3NA get themselves in position backstage. Knowing how nervous the girls were by looking at their faces, some of the seniors shouted out some cheers to motivate the girls and ease their nerves before leaving the room. 

"My YG baby es! You know you got this! Go rock the stage!" 2NE1's leader CL said as she and her 2NE1 members highfived the 3 girls. 

"Yeah man! Ya got nothing to worry! Ya got this! Just give it to 'em!" iKON's Bobby said as he and the iKON members highfived the 3 girls too.

"I know you girls are very nervous right now, I totally understand.. You might think that I'm lying but we do feel nervous once a while too.. It's very normal, and it's not a bad thing at all. But, what's important is how you focus and conquer the feeling on stage.. No matter how nervous you are, always remember why you are on stage and never fail to give your best. Treat every stage as your last stage, and most importantly, have fun.. Okay? Don't be too nervous! I know you girls can do this!" Taeyang said and the girls smiled and thanked the older guy as they gradually felt more confident to hit the stage. 

"If you're still nervous, find someone in the crowd and perform for him or her. I remember that works for me for my first stage, and maybe it will help you too," Daesung said and the girls nodded. 

"And if you're still nervous," Seungri said, and everyone laughed at how this conversation never seems to end, "Just remember that we're always here for you. I'll be at the side watching you while your Big Bang oppas will be standing at the open control booth with Director-nim. We're doing this together."

"Okay oppadeul.. We'll keep that in mind," Eunhee said, smiling as her heart feels lighter and she's now more than ready to hit the stage. 

As soon as all their seniors had left the room, ATH3NA continued with the filming of their Mnet TV show for a short few minutes and then they headed for the performance hall. Once they were at the bottom of the stage where they will be performing on, they gathered at the center to do their group cheer.

"1,2,3, let's kill 'em!" the 3 girls shouted. 

With their microphone all checked and ready in their hand, ATH3NA stood in position and they awaited the cue for their appearance. The video could be heard playing and their heart beats so fast upon hearing the fans' cheering and screaming for them. All they could hear was the sound of their heart beat and the excitement coming from their fans. And finally, the time has come for them to make their appearance. 

"First up, we have the strongest powerhouse in YG! The one you think off when you hear the word charisma and elegance.. The leader of the Goddesses, I present to you Lee Eunhee aka Grace!"

As soon as the lights dimmed, all the fans in the hall screamed as they waved their fan boards excitedly. A video starts playing, showing a very young Lee Eunhee as she sang to Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You. The video soon changes and many different short clips of Eunhee singing, dancing and playing the violin during her training day keeps appearing one after another until it forms her face, and then the video stopped. 

"First up, we have the strongest powerhouse in YG! With a voice that's able to bring down the entire rooftop when she sings, she's the one you'll think off when you hear the word charisma and elegance! The leader of the Goddesses, I present to you Lee Eunhee aka Grace!" Seungri's voice could be heard introducing from backstage, and Eunhee appeared from under the stage in the same pose she used on I Can See Your Voice.

Although the stage light was still turned off and all they could see was her dark silhoutte, the crowd still went wild. They continued with the next video, this time it featured a young and cute Jooeun as she rapped and danced to Seo Taiji and Boys' Come Back Home. As how the clips kept changing during the first video introduction, the same thing happens for Jooeun's too. The video showed many different clips of her rapping, dancing and even singing before it ended up forming her face as it then stopped. 

"Next, we have YG's youngest queen of rap! With her ability to rap in many different styles from strong to y to dissing to even a cute style, her rapping skills had been acknowledged by Korea's queen of rap Yoon Mirae-sshi herself! The undeniable rapper of the Goddesses, I give to you Shin Jooeun aka Pearl!" Seungri introduced from backstage, and Jooeun appeared from under the stage posed in the same way as she did in I Can See Your Voice too. 

As the crowd went wild with never ending cheers for the girls, they continued with the last introduction video. Unlike the previous videos which started with clips that were filmed in the training room, this video started with a very old pixelated clip that features a very very young Haneul performing with her guitar to Daniel Powter's Bad Day in the street of Manhattan. It was taken by Director Yang Hyunsuk himself on the day he first saw her and he just so happened to have his video camera with him. The video soon changed to many other training clips of her dancing, singing, and playing the guitar and piano, and it continued until it formed her face before coming to a stop. 

"And lastly, we have YG's dancing queen! Being the only YG artist that was scouted by Director Yang Hyunsuk himself, she's the one you'll think off when you hear the words music and talent! The talented maknae of the Goddesses, I present to you Kim Haneul aka Haven!" Seungri introduced and, as how her 2 members appeared, Haneul emerged from under the stage in the same pose she had in I Can See Your Voice. 

Once all the members were ready on stage, the stage lights and spot lights as it shone directly on the 3 girls. As the live band began playing the bass and drum as an intro to their first performance, their YG dancers joined them on stage and got ready in position.

"HEY OLYMPIC PARK! ATH3NA IN THE HOUSE! ARE YOU READY?!" Jooeun shouted, and once the crowd responded excitedly as they screamed and cheered at the top of their voice, Jooeun smiled ily and added, "Then what are we waiting for? Let's hit it!"

Upon hearing the cue to start, the live band started playing their debut song GODDESS and ATH3NA began their first performance. Conquering the entire stage without losing their breath or missing a beat, ATH3NA impressed everyone with their performance. They're a rookie idol who had just debuted more or less a week ago but their professionalism and stage presence awed everyone in the audience, and especially all the VIP guests whom had been invited to this showcase. They rocked the stage so good that they don't look or sound like a rookie idol group at all. 

"Woah! They're really good! Are you sure they are a rookie idol group? Just look at how they control the crowd! I've never seen a rookie group does this before," FT Island's vocalist Lee Hongki said as he looked at his leader and friend, Choi Jonghoon, who simply nodded as he was equally amazed as well.

Being very good friends with Seungri, Jonghoon had been invited to the showcase by the Big Bang maknae and since he was given 2 tickets, he decided to bring his good friend along. Although he has no idea why he was invited since the person who invited him was busy being the MC for the day (he had been questioning himself why did he even bother to go when he didn't even attend any of his junior groups' debut showcase and even Hongki's birthday party last year), he was actually enjoying himself. These girls are really talented and their skills are definitely on par with their successful seniors.

Once the song GODDESS ended, ATH3NA posed and the stage lights turned off for a short few seconds before it again and began to flicker in tune with the live band's bass and drum. Spreading across the huge stage so that everyone were able to see at least one member, the 3 girls waved and bowed to their fans. As the beat changes, it's the cue to start their next song. 

"Everyone! You guys like Big Bang, right?!" Haneul shouted, and upon hearing the loud choruses of 'yeah' and 'yes', she continued and said, "Good! As we all love Big Bang, the next song is for you! Opening the night with a huge big bang, here's Jessie J's Bang Bang for you! Let's go! Bang with us!"

Haneul's opening adlib caused everyone, even their director, Big Bang seniors and her members, to laugh. The live band gave them half a minute to settle down on their laughters and once they were ready, they began playing the next song. With Eunhee taking on Jessie J's part, Jooeun on Nicki Minaj's and Haneul on Ariana Grande's, they began dancing to the choreography that they had created specially for this event. As they're performing live without any background singers, Jooeun was given more parts than the actual parts in the song itself and she had also modified the names mentioned in the rap to fit ATH3NA's. As they had to change position every now and then as the members who are singing their parts will take center stage and not participate in the dance, the girls blew the audience away with their perfect vocals and strong choreography. 

"She might've let you hold her hand in school, but Imma show you how to graduate~ No, I don't need to hear you talk the talk, just come and show me what your momma gave~ Ooh yeahhh~" Haneul sings, and the crowd goes wild with her y dance gesture. 

"Your love gotta be baby, love but don't say a thing~" Jooeun sings, her y facial expression caused everyone to scream. 

"See anybody could be good to you, you need a bad girl to blow your mind~" Haneul sang as she then winked and stepped to the side so as to share the center stage with Eunhee who's singing the chorus with her. As they reached the rap part, Eunhee and Haneul stepped back and joined their YG dancers while Jooeun takes center stage. Without missing a beat, Jooeun set the stage on fire with her strong and charismatic rap.

"Batman robbin' it.. Bang bang, cocking it.. Queen Joonie dominant, prominent.. It's me, Eunhee, and Hannie.. If they test me they sorry.. Ride us up like a Harley, then pull off in this Ferrari.. If he hangin' we bangin'.. Phone rangin', he slangin'.. It ain't karaoke night but get the mic 'cause I'm singing," Jooeun rapped, fast and steady without losing her breath. As soon as Jooeun finished her main rap part, Eunhee and Haneul joined her at the center stage. 

"See anybody could be good to you, you need a bad girl to blow your mind~ Your mind~" Eunhee sang the highest note with such power and perfection that everyone in the hall got on their feets as they screamed, cheered and applauded excitedly. 

With the mood running high and wild, ATH3NA went down the stage and continued singing as close to their fans as possible. As this wasn't rehearsed or planned, their actions caught their producer, director and Big Bang seniors off guard as they watched from the control booth worriedly. However, seeing how the security guards had it all under control and the girls didn't seem to be in danger, they sighed in relief and relaxed. Seeing the 3 girls going down the stage, the fans screamed and cheered excitedly as they extended and waved their hands as they hoped that either of the 3 girls would shake or simply even touch them. As they were reaching the ending part of the song, ATH3NA returned back on stage and finished it perfectly in a strong pose. 

Blown away by ATH3NA's performance, everyone stood up and applauded. The 3 girls set the stage on fire and slayed the entire performances that even the VIP guests were up on their feets as they were extremely surprised and in awe by how professional and amazing these girls are. Feeling happy and glad that the first part of their showcase performance went better than expected, the 3 girls bowed humbly as they repeatedly thanked the audience. As the production staffs brought out 4 high stools and prepared the stage for their interview session, Seungri joined them on stage and introduced himself. 

"Woah! Wasn't that one hot and fiery performance?! Let's give it up one more time for YG's new girl group, ATH3NA!" Seungri said and the crowd cheered and applauded as the 3 girls bowed over and again as they t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter