CHAPTER 02

ATH3NA; Rise Of The Goddesses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 02

THE THRESHOLD TO THE LIFE OF A ROOKIE IDOL

 

Thursday, 14 Jan 2016

"Eonnie, this should be okay. Since it's their first post recording team dinner, I think this is perfect.. It's casual, not too new and over-dressed," one of ATH3NA's coordi-eonnie said as she showed the head of the fashion coordinator team, Kwang Minjung, the top she had picked for Jooeun.

Looking at the printed top in the younger girls' hand, Minjung paired it to the 2 tops that her team had picked for Eunhee and Haneul, and said, "Okay, I think these are good. Get the girls to pair it with their own jeans and training shoes. Once they have changed, undo their hair and lighten their makeup and they are good to go."

The fashion coordination team nodded and immediately got moving. ATH3NA was watching the rest of the I Can See Your Voice recording via the television in the room when their coordi-eonnies dragged them off the sofa and passed them their clothes to change.

"But.. But.. Eonnie, can't this wait? It's almost done! I want to see whether the contestant they picked can sing or not," Jooeun said, her eyes still glued to the television.

"No! Move along!" one of the coordi-eonnie said as she pushed Jooeun towards the changing cubicle, "It's because the show is almost over that we need you girls to quickly change and get ready."

"I know.. but.. but.. just a while more? 5 minutes! Just 5 minutes! Please eonnie!" Jooeun begged as she looked at the slightly older girl with the best puppy eyes she could give but Minjung stepped in front of her.

"Shin Jooeun, you want to become an idol right? Stop pampering yourself and act like one. This dinner isn't just a dinner, it's the make or break of your career. You are having dinner with directors, producers, staffs, crews and many senior idols who will judge your character. So you cannot be late and thats why we are getting you ready ahead of time. Do you understand?" Minjung said sternly and the rest of ATH3NA looked at their dejected member. They know she meant no harm but this must be a very important dinner that everyone seems so worked up about it.

Looking down, Jooeun apologised and immediately entered the changing cubicle. Once they changed, the coordi-eonnies get them to sit in front of the mirror to undo their hair and lighten their makeup as instructed by Minjung earlier. Although the atmosphere had relaxed and gone back to normal, Eunhee and Haneul knew Jooeun isn't okay yet. She's too quiet to be okay, and even Minjung noticed it.

"Joonie-ah, sorry if I sounded harsh earlier. I didn't mean to scold you. It's just that this dinner is very important and I need you to realise that," Minjung said softly as she herself undo the girl's hair.

"No, it's okay eonnie.. I understand. Today has been so unbelievably crazy that I think the excitement is stuck in my head.. I was just curious about the ending of the show that I forgot I could watch it when it airs on television.." Jooeun said, flashing a small smile, and her 2 members nodded along.

"Yeah, I totally understand the excitement part.. I still can't believe we just appeared and performed as ATH3NA," Eunhee said, the same excitement started bubbling in the pit of her stomach again as she recalled how everyone in the studio cheered and grooved to their song.

"Tell me about it! It's so crazy!" Haneul said as she then looked at Minjung and said, "But urh, eonnie.. I got something to ask you. I know this is a very important dinner but I don't really understand why. Also, why do we have to wear something else? Can't we just wear the same clothes that we came with earlier?"

Sighing as she heard the question, Minjung said, "I knew one of you were going to ask that question but I thought you would ask your manager, as it's his job and he would answer it in a better way than I do.. But it's okay, I'll try and give the best answer I could think off. So, hmmm.. how do I say this.. Actually, all post recording team dinner is important. It's meant to create a bond or relationship between the directors, producers and idols. If they like you, they will call you for future shows and productions. For senior idols, it meant future collaborations and duets. And since this is your first one with a very big team, it's important for you to get your mindset right and not play around. They will ask you to relax but don't put your guards down and always be at your very best behaviour. You understand?"

Nodding her head as she finally understood, Haneul replied, "Ahh, now I get it. Is that why you got us to dress up nicely?"

"Yes, it's to look pretty, presentable and that your agency takes very good care of you. You wouldn't want to wear your worn out top and look like some new idol trainee that has just started training, would you?" Minjung said and seeing how the girls shook their heads, she continued to say, "Good. Now that I've answered your questions and you girls are almost ready, I'll call your managers and inform him you're good to go."

After waiting for almost 15 minutes, their managers entered and gathered ATH3NA in the centre of the room. As they looked at the 3 girls, they had this weird, creepy smile which made the girls exchanged looks with each other.

"Urh, oppa.. Why are you guys looking at us like that? You didn't just sell us to some creepy old man, did you?" Haneul said, her imagination running wild and everyone, excluding the girls, laughed.

"Of course not silly! We're looking at you because of this!" Manager Joonyup said as he excitedly flashed out 'the thing' that they had been hiding for the whole day from the girls.

"OH MY GOD!" Haneul exclaimed, her hands flew to cover as her eyes widened in shock.

"Are.. Are you girls seeing what I'm seeing?" Jooeun asked in disbelief, her eyes reflect the same emotions as her members'.

"You guys had been hiding that from us for the entire day?" Eunhee asked, her eyes watered while her managers nodded their heads.

There, presented right in front of their faces, are ATH3NA's first debut album package. Designed in an elegant off white and gold, and topped off with a splash of soft pastel colours of their faces with flowers in their hair, their debut album looked nothing short of perfection. And above all, it presents as a physical evidence for the 3 girls of how their dreams have indeed come true.

"Oh God, why are you girls crying again? Can you guys stop making these girls cry? It's hard to keep touching up their makeup when we are supposed to be packing up our stuffs and also, you all are supposed to already head out and make your way to the team dinner," Minjung said, more of nagged actually, as she took a piece of tissue and wiped Jooeun's tears while the other coordi-eonnies wiped Eunhee's and Haneul's tears. But beneath those words, everyone knew she was just teasing the managers and the girls.

"We didn't know they would cry! I thought they would be happy," Manager Soohwan said as he helped to pass another piece of tissue to Minjung.

"We are happy! We are so so happy that the tears came out automatically!" Eunhee said as she sniffled slightly and asked for another piece of tissue.

"Yes, we are so happy oppa! Will we get one for ourselves? Oh! And for our family too?" Haneul asked and their 3 managers laughed as they nod their head.

"Of course you would! You each will be given a few pieces that you can keep and give out to your family members and friends. However, the ones that we have here.. these are for the directors, producers and senior idols that you have worked with today. You will give it to them before the dinner start, okay?" Eunhee's manager, Lee Jisoo, replied and the 3 girls nodded as they chorused out a soft 'okay'.

Once ATH3NA had their emotions under controlled, they had their makeup touched up for the final time and were almost immediately rushed out of the room by their managers. As they were making their way out of the basement's carpark in the agency's van, they saw BtoB, BEAST and GOT7 heading towards their own respective vehicles. Throughout their ride towards the restaurant, their managers played their debut album and the girls couldn't be happier. They sang and dance along excitedly, all the while still trying hard to accept that those songs are indeed their songs. Upon reaching the venue of the team dinner, Manager Joonyup stopped the music and got their attention.

"Alright girls, listen very carefully.. I know you girls are tired and hungry but eating and relaxing is not the reason why you have been allowed you to join the team dinner. Those people in there are the ones who will contribute to your future success in this business and it's your responsibility to show them what you are capable off. Do your best and respect all of them at any cost. Do you understand me?" Manager Joonyup said as looked at them from the front passenger seat.

"Yes oppa," ATH3NA answered as they nodded curtly.

"Good. Remember, you're a rookie idol. You want them to like you so that they'll always have you in mind for whatever productions they are going to come up with in the future. So to do that, you'll have to be very polite and respectful, and most importantly, be cute and adorable. Also, since you're the newly debuted idol group, you'll have to pour them their drinks, cook the meat at your tables and do whatever that they tell you to do. Remember, this is your first team dinner and we want it to be the very best start of everything. Okay?" Manager Jisoo said and the 3 girls nodded.

"Okay oppa!" ATH3NA answered confidently, all the points mentally noted down.

"Good, let's go," Manager Jisoo said and the 3 girls exited the van along with Manager Jisoo and Soohwan. Apparently, Manager Joonyup will have to meet ATH3NA's reality TV producers to check out the recording that they had got from today's special filming.

Upon entering the Korean BBQ restaurant, they were greeted by 2 female junior script writers who were to lead the 3 girls to their tables while their managers joined the other managers in the corner of the restaurant. Before going off to their tables, their managers passed ATH3NA's debut albums to the girls and reminded them to give it out once everyone has arrived.

"Everyone! The main for today's filming has arrived! Give it up for ATH3NA!" one of the female script writer announced, surprising the 3 girls with her super loud voice and sudden introduction.

ATH3NA greeted all of them politely and before they could even react, the 3 girls were separated and seated at different table. Eunhee was seated with the director, Jooeun was seated with the senior script writer, and Haneul was seated with the sound producer. Before they could settle down, they were joined by the rest of the idols who had been with them for the filming earlier. BEAST's Gikwang and Yoseob, and GOT7's Bambam and Yugyeom joined Eunhee's table, while BtoB's Sungjae, Super Junior's Leeteuk, and GOT7's Jinyoung and Youngjae joined Jooeun's table. The remaining idols BtoB's Minhyuk, and GOT7's Jaebum, Jackson and Mark joined Haneul at her table. Once they settled down, the waiters and waitresses brought dozens of bottles of already opened alcohol drinks, side dishes and light snacks to the table.

Standing up as he holds a bottle of alcohol in his hand, the director said, "Before we open the bottle, let me say a few intelligible words before we start drinking and the alcohol seeped into my brain," and everyone started laughing, clapping and cheering, as he then continued to say, "This season's of I Can See Your Voice, and especially today's, had been one of the best variety show I had ever directed. From the production crews to the very fun artists and idols involved, it creates such a great atmosphere that it shows in the episode itself. Our percentage increases week by week and I have noone else to thank but all of you. So, thank you and I look forward to working together with everyone of you in the future. Let's hope there will be another season of I Can See Your Voice and we can bring more laughters to the screen! Cheers!"

"CHEERSSS!!!"

ATH3NA watched as the production crews at their table pour all of them a glass full of alcohol. Being very new to all this cheering and drinking, they decided that it's best to follow what their seniors do. As they saw how their seniors drank down their shot of alcohol in one gulp, ATH3NA followed suit. They took their glass of alcohol, turned around and down the drink in one shot.

"Wow! These girls can drink! Let's pour them one more shot!" Leeteuk said excitedly, and the girls almost immediately regretted their actions.

ATH3NA is not new to drinking. They did went out to drink with their seniors every once a while, or just at their apartment amongst themselves. They don't always drink but they can hold their alcohol down pretty well. After taking another shot as re-filled by the seniors at their table, ATH3NA had never been happier when the waitresses passed the metal tong and meat to them for them to start grilling. Small talks started amongst the table and the girls are the cetre of attention.

"Grace-sshi, as we're not filming, do you prefer for us to call you by your stage name or your real name?" Gikwang asked.

"Urh, I don't mind being called my real name.. which is Lee Eunhee," Eunhee replied, smiling as she looked at Gikwang.

"Okay.. So Eunhee-sshi, how long have you been training? Have you been with YG all this while?" Gikwang asked again.

"Hmmm, it's been a long time.. I started training in 2006 under SM Entertainment but I quit in 2009. I was focusing on my studies when I was scouted by YG agency in 2010.. and I had been with them since," Eunhee answered casually but upon looking up at their faces after turning the meat, her eyes met 5 other pairs that were staring straight at her in pure astonishment.

"Since 2006? It has been 10 years?!" Yoseob asked, his eyes widened in surprised at how long this younger girl had been training to become an idol.

"Urh, yeah.. I guess.. I'm sorry but I don't really remember the exact date as it has been a very long time," Eunhee said, unconsciously biting her lips nervously and the rest of the guys immediately shook their heads upon seeing the slight frown on her face as she looked at them.

"No, it's okay! We were just surprised and blown away by how long you had been an idol trainee and your dedication to reach your dreams," Yoseob said and the rest of them, even the director, nodded their heads.

Upon hearing the word 'dream' from Yoseob, Eunhee was suddenly reminded of ATH3NA's debut albums that they had to give out. However, with the tong in her hands, she isn't sure on how to stop grilling and go about to give out their albums. Eunhee turned around and both of her members seemed to be equally preoccupied with cooking and talking too. 'Oh my God, how do I give this albums now? It would be so weird,' Eunhee thought to herself but unknown to her, someone had been watching her as she frowned and fret to herself.

Bambam stared at the new leader seated next to him. He noticed how beautiful she is; her big eyes, her straight nose and especially her full lips. She looked like a real life barbie doll and he is strangely excited. The feeling he gets and the butterflies in his stomach reminds him of his all-time favourite female idol, Heo Youngji, but it's a little bit more. As he kept staring at her, he noticed how she suddenly seemed distracted. Bambam looked around at the guys around the table but none of them seemed to realise this as they were busy eating and talking amongst themselves.

Not wanting to get the others attention, Bambam tapped Eunhee's hand gently and asked, "Eunhee-sshi, is everything okay? You seemed distracted. Did something happened?"

Shocked by the sudden skinship by a stranger she had only heard off, Eunhee blushed a sweet pink as she shook her head and said, "N.. No. I.. We had our debut albums here and we were supposed to give out to everyone as a small appreciation gift before the event start. But now that we have started eating and drinking, I'm not sure how to give them out anymore."

The older girl's reaction made the boy think she's cute, and the reason even more so. Bambam smiled as he took the tong fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter