[Edit] Chapter 3

At Soul's End


 

 

 

 

It was finally ‘Adventure Time’ as Taehyung had taken to calling the coming week. The four boys had already shipped anything they couldn’t fit in their one suitcase per person, and carry on bag for the flight home, to Seoul. After a large breakfast at IHOP, they bundled into their rented car, the top down and a trot CD that Taehyung had pulled out of nowhere blaring through the speakers. Taehyung was well known for having random things on him at any given moment. Over the years, Jimin had often wondered if his best friend had magical pockets like Merlin’s magic bag in Disney’s ‘The Sword in the Stone.’

 

Traffic seemed a bit more hectic than usual as they headed out of L.A. Everything was still bumper to bumper at 10 am and the sound of horns honking cut through the music in the car as a few vehicles took to the shoulder and median to zoom past but, as they got further and further from the city, the traffic thinned out until finally, they seemed to be the only car on the road.

 

Jungkook, crammed into the backseat along with Jimin, looked at the passing scenery as he lamented his lack of legroom. He almost envied the shorter male at the moment but there was no way he’d ever admit it. The countryside was beautiful, grand trees and wide open spaces in abundance. Within an hour on the road, they were driving through the mountain like hills before the air grew arider and finally they were in an honest to god desert. To think there were so many different ecological regions so close to one another was mind-boggling.

 

“I can’t wait to get to Las Vegas,” Jimin said as he squirmed in his seat to get more comfortable.

 

“I know! It’ll be amazing!” Taehyung replied excitedly. “Playing in ‘America’s Playground’ where ‘what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.’ It’s gonna be lit!”

 

Hoseok laughed at the driver. “You’re just quoting every saying you’ve heard about Vegas. You forgot the one about it being ‘Sin City.’” he winked at the younger.

 

“Ooo, yeah! Wanna go to a strip club, guys? That could be fun.” The other three looked at Taehyung dubiously. “What? Wouldn’t it be cool to at least say you’ve been to one?” His reply garnered no response for the moment other than a few eye rolls. He decided to keep his argument for when they actually got there.

 

“Think we’ll see anyone famous?” Jungkook effectively changed the subject.

 

Jimin shrugged. “I guess it depends on what shows are going on? I bet we’ll see a dozen different Elvis’s though.” This statement got a number of small chuckles.

 

“Ugh! Are we there yet?” Taehyung complained.

 

“You’re the driver, Tae. You’re not the one that’s supposed to be asking that.” Jimin teased his friend.

 

“We’ve been driving for three hours now! I don’t think I’ve seen another car for the past hour and the view has been this same emptiness forever now. I feel like I’ve been stranded in a ing desert!” Taehyung protests.

 

“Bite your tongue!” Hoseok gasps. “Do not jinx us! How are the car gage thingys? Do we have enough gas? I swear if you get us stranded out here I will beat you.”

 

“Yah, hyung, we’re fine. I’m just so bored. I can’t remember the last time I just sat around with nothing to do like this.”

 

Nothing to do!? You’re freaking driving, Tae! Pay attention to the road!”

 

“The road that never changes,” Taehyung mumbled under his breath.

 

“Look,” Hoseok said, pointing out a sign for an upcoming gas station five minutes later. “Stop there and we’ll get some gas and snacks and stretch our legs a bit.” Jungkook and Jimin both released inaudible sighs at the thought of getting out of their cramped space. Taehyung just nodded. “We’re doing good, guys. Just two more hours to go.” Hoseok cheered them on, ever the representative of optimism.

 

 

 

After their much-needed pit stop and a change-up of the music, they spent another two hours in the car before finally reaching civilization once again. Las Vegas began as a number of small neighborhoods they sped past on the freeway before suddenly becoming more city like. However, it was a city unlike anything they had ever seen before. The billboards alone mesmerized the boys. There were advertisements for music performances, male and female strip clubs, magic acts, so many different circus and other shows, help with gambling addiction… the list goes on and on.

 

The giant billboards were posted between amazing buildings along the Las Vegas Strip. There was a castle, a pyramid, the Eiffel Tower, the New York City skyline with the Statue of Liberty, an amazing water fountain, the city of Venice, and so much more they could hardly take it all in. Hoseok had turned down the music as they made their way onto the strip and the car was filled with the ‘oohs’ and ‘ahhs’ of the four boys. They traveled to the far end of the Strip where one slim building topped with a needle stood far above all the rest.

 

“Wow,” Hoseok exclaimed. “There’s not enough money in the world to get me to go up in that.”

 

“Aw, hyung,” Taehyung whined. “It’d be amazing to look out of the top.”

 

“It sure would be.” Jungkook agreed wistfully.

 

You agree with me, right, Jiminie?” Hoseok asked, suddenly afraid the others would try to drag him to the top if he couldn’t get at least one of them on his side.

 

“Uh, I don’t think we’re staying here.” Jimin dodged the question. He did agree with Hoseok but he didn’t want to sound like a wimp. “Let’s go find our hotel.”

 

“Okay, okay,” Taehyung replied with a smile. He knew his best friend only too well and was willing to change the subject for his sake. “Where do we want to stay?” he asked the group.

 

“What do you mean, ‘where do we want to stay?’ I thought you had this trip all planned out.” Hoseok said, surprised. Jimin just rolled his eyes. He should have expected this lack of reservations from his best friend and blamed himself for not seeing to it that the planning was done. Jungkook didn’t mind, however. He felt confident that they’d get a room and whatever else they needed to have a good time. He was just excited to be here with his friends.

 

“Uh, I’m not really much of a planner.” Taehyung conceded. “Plus, it’s not like we had a lot of time in LA.” What he said was true. Although they were half a world away from their entertainment company, the CEO was still keeping close tabs on the group. Besides their six hours a day dance training, they had also continued their vocal lessons in the states and had weekly assessments via video calls. BigHit wasn’t about to let their investments slack off just because they were so far away from home.

 

“It’ll be fine, Hobi.” Jimin stuck up for his friend. “Let’s just find somewhere now.” With murmurs of agreement, the boys all got their smartphones out to look up where to stay. Soon enough they were driving back down the Strip to Bally’s hotel and casino. They pulled up in front of the sleek building and got their luggage from the trunk before a valet drove the car off to park it. The entryway looked just like any other hotel except it was larger than any the boys had ever stayed in before. Hoseok and Jungkook stepped in line to get their room while Jimin and Taehyung stood off to the side with the luggage so as to not take up so much space in the queue.

 

The duo spent the wait talking to a couple guys waiting to the side near them and discovered the reason for the long line was that the most recent flight had just bussed a number of arrivals to the hotels all along the Strip. After a 45 minute wait, Hoseok and Jungkook finally returned to them. They handed Jimin and Taehyung their own ‘credit card’ looking keys to the room then led the two boys through the casino towards the correct elevator for their wing.

 

The casino floor was tightly packed with slot machines and rows of individual computerized blackjack machines. They passed a room filled with TV screens and movie theater-like seating. All sorts of sports and races were on the screens, numbers and odds being displayed as well. Lights were flashing everywhere the eye landed and sirens blared as some lucky schmuck here and there hit it big… or at least won something. The air was filled with cigarette smoke and the tinge of alcohol. The whole floor was filled with a party vibe even while being only about half full of patrons if that.

 

“Wow!” Jimin exclaimed. “Not even the movies can do the real thing justice.”

 

The others agreed wholeheartedly. This was like nothing they ever imagined. Their eyes and ears were so busy taking it all in that they had a hard time looking at where they were trying to go. Hoseok did locate the right elevator eventually and they were momentarily relieved to leave the chaos behind even as they were excited to hurry back to it.

 

The boys got off the elevator on the 26th floor, Hoseok immensely glad the elevator and hallways were enclosed so he couldn’t see how high up they were. He and Jungkook followed the number signs on the walls, leading the way as they finally made it to the room.  Inside the room, just to the left of the door was a sink and mirror with a good sized countertop for a hotel. Just beyond this was the bathroom, white and sparkling clean. The room was only fair sized, a moderate room for the moderate price they paid. The walls were papered in a pale orange with gold filigree, and the cream-colored carpet looked clean enough. Two king size beds took up the majority of the space, the cream comforters and orange throw pillows matching well with the wallpaper. There was also a desk, a flat screen TV on the wall, and a small refrigerator in the corner. In the closet, near the front door, was a small safe, presumably for jewelry or in case someone won big in the casinos.

 

The air conditioning was on full blast, giving the room a slight chill. The curtains were partially open and Hoseok, refusing to look out, chose the bed farthest away before anyone had the chance to comment on a single thing. “I’m sleeping here.” he blurted out. Jungkook followed his lead, calling the spot closest to the window before looking out at the small cars driving on the street below. The pedestrians weren’t quite ant-like but they were far enough down to make all but the barest hints of colored clothing indistinguishable.

 

With a glance, Jimin and Taehyung had an unspoken conversation before Jimin moved to place his belongings on the bed next to Jungkook. He had figured out that Taehyung had been sprouting feeling for their eldest hyung and was more than happy to give his friend the chance to see where things led.

 

Smiling broadly, Taehyung bounded over to the only remaining spot, tossing his bag on the bed and leaving his suitcase at the foot. “It’s so good to have a place to call home for a couple days.” he declared happily. The others agreed readily. Hoseok and Jimin began unpacking as Taehyung stretched out on the bed and Jungkook went into the bathroom to freshen up. They all took turns at this and an hour later were finally ready to go take in the sights and sounds of Las Vegas.

 

 

 

“So, what should we do first?” Jimin asked the others as they rode the elevator down to the casino floor.

 

“I don’t actually know how to do any of the gambling,” Hoseok admitted.

 

“Let’s check out the slot machines,” Taehyung suggested. “That’s what they play on TV, right?”

 

“I wonder what money they take.” Hoseok mutter aloud as he pulled his wallet from his pocket. Did the machines take dollars? Coins? Would he have to exchange his money for tokens or chips of some sort?

 

“We’re about to find out,” Jungkook said quietly as the elevator doors opened, once again inundating them with the chaos of the casino floor.

 

Upon exiting the elevator, they were immediately surrounded by a maze of slot machines. The backgrounds of the slots varied from The Wizard of Oz to Star Wars, The Simpsons, traditional LV flamingo girls, Lucky 7’s and so much more it was hard to choose where to start. “How about that one?” Taehyung pointed to a machine covered in dragons breathing fire. It seemed as good a start as any.

 

The group converged on the machine together, Hoseok looking it over before pulling a single dollar from his wallet and placing it in the machine. The lights and sounds grew in intensity as the numbers and pictures on the spinning dial flew by. One by one they came to a stop. red lines seeming to randomly connect the 7’s and ‘SLOT’ on the screen. Below this read ‘WIN $2!’ with the option to ‘SPIN AGAIN!’ or “Cash Out.’

 

“Excuse me.” a feminine voice spoke behind the group. The four boys turned to see a woman with long brown hair dressed in what looked like a blue swimsuit with half a skirt covering her and carrying an empty drink tray. Once she had their attention she spoke again. “I need to see some ID before I can let you play on the machines.”

 

The boys hurriedly pulled out their passports, handing them to the waitress one at a time. She carefully scrutinized Hoseok’s passport first before handing it back with a smile. “Thank you,” she said to him as she next took Jimin’s passport in hand. “Um, you’re not old enough to be on the gambling floor, sorry,” she said as she handed Jimin’s ID back to him. The boys looked at her in confusion.

 

“I thought you need to be 18?” JImin asked.

 

“The gambling and drinking age in Las Vegas is 21,” she explained, holding her hand out for Taehyung’s ID.

 

“Oh.” was all Jimin could think to answer. There had been a group of girls at the dance studio in L.A. who had talked about going to 18 aged casinos in California and they had all assumed the age restrictions were the same around the country.

 

When Taehyung and Jungkook didn’t bother to hand their IDs over, the waitress knew they were too young as well. “I’m sorry but I’m going to have to ask you three to move along now.” the waitress stated. It was obvious that she had other things to do and needed them to go so she could get back to them. All four boys nodded and turned back towards the elevator.

 

“Well, this ,” Jimin stated, irritated and gloomy.

 

The ride back to their room was silent, Taehyung glancing frequently at his somber best friend. He knew Jimin well enough to know he was beating himself up on the inside, especially since this stop in Las Vegas had been his idea. When the elevator doors opened on their floor Taehyung slung his arm around his friend’s shoulders, pulling him towards their room. Jimin tried to drag his feet but Taehyung would have none of his pouty attitude. Meanwhile, Hoseok and Jungkook followed along behind the pair in silence.

 

“No worries, Chimchim,” Taehyung spoke affectionately. He quickly unlocked the door to their room, pulling Jimin in alongside him.

 

“Yeah, right,” Jimin said in a sulky voice. “What are we supposed to do now? Who knows when we’ll get a chance to do whatever we want again. And here I am, ruining everyone’s chance at fun by dragging us to Las Vegas where three of us aren’t old enough to have any fun and holding the only one who is old enough back. Is it too much to ask to have a little fun? I’ve always chosen to work instead of play. This is my one chance and I’ve ed it all up. I’ve ed it up for all of us.” As he spoke, Jimin threw himself on the bed, rolling up into a tight ball.

 

“Look at me,” Taehyung demanded, his voice serious but sympathetic. When Jimin refused to move he sat on the bed next to him, forcing his body open to the best of his ability. Jimin finally looked at him, irritation written all over his face. “You did not anything up, Jimin.” His friend just rolled his eyes at him. “I’m serious, Jimin. Now repeat after me. ‘I, Park Jimin, did not anything up.’” He waited a moment for the reply but didn’t get one. Sighing deeply, he repeated himself. “I’m dead ing serious, Jimin. Now say it. ‘I, Park JImin, did NOT ANYTHING UP!'”

 

Jimin huffed loudly  before finally mumbling, “I, Park Jimin, didn’t anything up.”

 

“Weak, Jiminie. Try again.” Taehyung goaded him.

 

This time Jimin rolled his eyes as he spoke a little louder, “I, Park Jimin, didn’t anything up.”

 

“Better.” Taehyung conceded. “Now, again. Mean it this time.”

 

“I, Park JImin, didn’t anything up,” Jimin exclaimed in mild exasperation. He got a wide, box-shaped grin from his friend for his efforts. He could feel the corners of his own lips spread upwards in return.

 

“See, was that so hard?” Taehyung asked with a giggle.

 

Jimin chuckled back. “ you, Kim Taehyung.” There was no bite to his words, however. Instead, he felt so lucky to have such a great best friend. He could see in Taehyung’s eyes that he knew it too and felt the same way.

 

Hoseok had been sitting at the desk looking at the hotel amenities brochure as the other two spoke and now that their ‘moment’ seemed to be over he in. “There’s a buffet here. Let’s get some dinner.” The others were quick to agree and soon they were headed back towards the elevator once again.

 

“Something tells me we’re gonna know this elevator really damn well by the time we leave this place,” Jungkook stated quietly. The others heard him and soon everyone was laughing.

 

 

A/N:  Ok, so slowly but surely I'm getting through my editing. I'm not completely used to life again yet so I'm not very disciplined with how I use my time but I'm working on it. Life, after all, is a work in progress until the day we die.