Chapter 14

At Soul's End

A/N:  I'm sorry it's been so freaking long since I've updated!!! I promise I haven't abandoned this and I'll do my best to be better about writing and updating in the future. This chapter is shorter than the most recent chapters but I thought it'd be better to get something out there rather than to keep sitting on it. So, please forgive my inadequacies and enjoy a little action with this update XD

 

          

Yeah, boi, you know what you're doing...

just kill me already.

 


 

 

 

“There. That does it.” Jin exclaimed as he and Namjoon dropped Sam’s lifeless body next to Belinda’s, brushing his hands together as he did so. The loading dock of the airport was far from his preferred ideal of a final resting place but there wasn’t anything better they could do for the pair.

 

“Do you see anything?” Hoseok asked hesitantly as Jimin and Yoongi peered through the gap around the semi-truck parked in the dock. Meanwhile, Jungkook and Taehyung were standing by the pedestrian door waiting for the ‘all clear’ from the couple since discovering how loudly the door squeaked when opening.

 

“There's movement out there but not much.” Jimin explained.

 

“I can’t really see any cars from here.” Yoongi added. “But I can’t see the parking lot from here either.”

 

“You think we’ll find a car big enough for all of us?” Hoseok asked hopefully.

 

“We’ll find something. We have to.” Taehyung chimed in confidently.

 

“Well then, let’s do this.” Namjoon sighed. He was tired of hiding in the shadows of the airport.

 

Everyone gathered their things together once more, weapons at the ready, and headed down the small flight of stairs so they were surrounding the heavy metal door that would finally lead them out.

 

“Okay, Tae hyung, we’ll follow you.” Jungkook declared.

 

With an answering nod, Taehyung pulled at the heavy door. The screeching sound was loud enough to cause shoulders to shrug upwards as the group tried to shield their ears. They each stumbled out of the dimly lit loading dock into the bright, late morning sunlight, eyes scrunching up at the sudden assault.

 

Taehyung pulled on a pair of sunglasses to protect his eyes just as a low moan sounded to their right. He had his katana out in an instant, sweeping it out to connect with outstretched arms before the rest of the group could even focus their stinging eyes on the attack. With a second sweeping motion of the sword, he had taken off the zombie’s head, the hollow thump of it hitting the ground echoing around them.

 

“Nice work, hyung.” Jungkook commended as his sight finally adjusted to the light. He swept the area with his eyes, noting a few zombies headed their way with the sound of the commotion. “I’ve got the one on the left.” he added, jogging towards the closest zombie, what had once been a young woman in a flowery dress, now covered in bloody patches.

 

“I’ll get the cop.” Yoongi sighed, his voice sounding put out by the inconvenience.

 

“I guess that leaves the tall guy for me.” Jin stated as he headed towards the final zombie. “Tae, you look for a car.” he added over his shoulder.

 

The other three looked towards the scuffle as Taehyung wandered around the corner of the loading dock towards the parking lot. They made it look easy as they attacked the zombies. Jungkook’s baseball bat rounded on the woman, taking her down in a single home run . Yoongi’s tomahawk arched through the air and embedded in the cop’s frontal lobe. He had to step on the zombie’s head to pull it free when he was done. Meanwhile, Jin had speared his zombie in the shoulder, knocking it off it’s feet before his axe came down in a final blow along it’s temple. All three were a bit bloodied after the assault but seemed to have a lighthearted spring in their step as they headed back towards Hoseok, Namjoon, and JImin.

 

“Where’s Tae?” Jin asked as he noted his cousin was missing.

 

“Looking for a car?” Namjoon suggested, remembering his hyung’s words to the boy.

 

“Alone?” Jin screeched. “What the hell, guys?”

 

Jimin and Hoseok shared a brief look of guilt. They had been so consumed in what could have been a full on fight with the zombies that they hadn’t even noticed Taehyung leave. Together, they their heels and raced around the building to find Taehyung, the others following close behind. When they rounded the corner, they saw him in the middle of the small employee parking lot next to a big, white cargo van with a red ladder on top and ‘Handy Andy’s Maintenance and Repair’ painted along the length of it. There were a few other cars in the lot but none big enough to hold them all. In the distance a field full of zombies could be seen but the boys’ attention was locked on Taehyung and their only possible escape.

 

Taehyung already had a length of heavy wire threaded through the top inch of the driver’s side window, his tongue poking out of his mouth in concentration as he continued to bend it and thread it towards the locking mechanism. Just as the others were slowing their pace, their concern for Taehyung appeased by the sight of him safe and sound, a figure in a white uniform shuffled out from behind the van. In the blink of an eye Taehyung reacted, bending the wire to stay in place as he quickly turned towards the figure. With his left hand he grabbed the stumbling man by the collar as his right hand dipped into his back jeans pocket. He pulled out a switchblade and embedded it in the zombie’s temple before the others could even race to his side.

 

“Where the did you even get that?” Jimin exclaimed as he rushed to his best friend.

 

“The Western store.” Taehyung replied nonchalantly as he cleaned the blade off on the zombie’s shirt and then put it away. As he released the body, it slide down the side of the van into a sitting position. “I’ve got more blades in my bag. Figured everyone would need a couple.” he shrugged, turning back to getting the van unlocked.

 

Once the group was all together again they stood around idly as Taehyung continued contorting the wire to get the van open, watching the corner of the building for movement.

 

Cha-chunk

 

“Yes!” Taehyung exclaimed, ripping the front door open and diving inside along the floorboards. “I’ll get this baby running in no time. You guys get loaded up.” came his muffled voice a moment later.

 

Rolling his eyes, Yoongi grabbed the dead body unceremoniously by the arm and began dragging it away from the van. Namjoon watched him struggle with the weight for a moment before joining him in the task.

 

“You didn’t even unlock the doors.” Hoseok mumbled in reply to the younger’s command to load up as he approached the open driver’s door. A second cha-chunk could be heard as he unlocked the rest of the doors.

 

“Oh, .” Jin exclaimed under his breath as he rounded the back of the van. He finally noticed the hundreds of zombies in the wide open field on the passenger side of the van. Most seemed to be wandering aimlessly but a few of the closer ones had turned towards the van and were making their way towards it. He wrenched the back doors of the van open as he hissed at the others, “We’ve got to hurry guys. They’re coming this way.”  

 

Hoseok was the first to climb into the back, dumping his bags to the side as he scrambled into the front passenger seat, locking his door as he did so. “Hurry, Tae. We’ve gotta get out of here.” He could hear the others climbing into the cramped, windowless back of the van as Jin and Jungkook stood guard and ushered them along. Outside his window he could see more of the zombies taking notice of them and turning their way.

 

“Almost…” Taehyung mumbled as sounds of scuffling came from the back. Hoseok turned in time to see Jin swinging at a zombie with his axe, Jungkook no longer in sight.

 

“Taetae!” Jimin yelled as a zombie stumbled into the open driver’s doorway. They had been too busy watching the back to notice it walking around the front. Now they could see several more through the windshield headed straight for them.

 

Taehyung reacted to Jimin’s yell instantly, cocking his knee up to stave the ravenous zombie off with his foot to the zombie’s chest. He kicked hard, throwing it from the open door as he finished striping the wires he needed to hotwire the car. It only took a moment to finally spark the engine to life, heavy death metal blasting from the speakers at full volume.

 

Another zombie tripped over the first, falling on top of Taehyung as he tried to scramble off of the floor of the van. The wind was knocked out of him but he didn’t have time to care as he fought off the monster, his body squirming and bucking as he he tried to hold it at bay but all his fighting was ineffectual in such a cramped space.

 

BAM!

 

The sound of a gunshot ricocheted around the van leaving everyone’s ears ringing while the body Taehyung had been fighting slumped lifelessly on top of him. Before he could wrap his mind around what had just happened, a hand was clutching at the zombie and pulling it off of him. Then Jin’s beautiful face entered his field of view and the relief that washed through him at the sight of his cousin was almost euphoric.  

 

“Jin, hyung, look out!” Hoseok’s screech broke through the moment just before a baseball bat took out the zombie reaching for Jin. More zombies were on the passenger side of the van, butting against it and making it rock as others began spilling around the front and back.

 

“Get the van moving, hyung! Pick us up closer to the building!” Jungkook hollered out as he swung at yet another zombie. Once it was down he was reaching for Jin’s hand and pulling him away from the van, death metal still blaring from the speakers.

 

Taehyung didn’t think twice before he was scrambling into the driver’s seat and pulling away from the parking spot, hitting bodies and driving over them as he went. There were several crashing sounds in the back of the van as the two tall toolboxes tipped over, a few items spilling out of the open back doors.

 

Meanwhile, Jimin and Namjoon were each standing on separate sides of the van, holding onto metal bars that lined each side, their other hands clutched on to Yoongi’s hips as he fired shots from a gun at the zombie that had latched onto the back door, one foot on the bumper, and was trying to pull itself into the van. The falling items had luckily missed them but had missed the zombie as well.

 

“!” Yoongi swore as a third shot hit the zombie in the chest but it didn’t relinquish its grip. “Let go of me!” he ordered Namjoon and Jimin, wanting to go kick the zombie free but they either didn’t hear him over the music or both decided to ignore him. With an annoyed huff he tried aiming the gun again before pulling the trigger, hoping Taehyung could steady the van just long enough for him to hit the damn zombie in the head.

 

BAM!

 

Finally Yoongi got the head shot he was trying for, the zombie instantly crumpling to the ground and bouncing along the pavement. Before he could even thank his lucky stars, the van was turning sharply, almost throwing him out the back as he lost his footing. Two strong arms tightened their grip around him however, keeping him locked in place as he got his feet back under him.

 

Suddenly, the van came to a screeching halt, Jin and Jungkook hopping into the back a moment later and slamming the doors shut. Instantly the van took off again as the five young men in the back finally sank to the floor in relief.

 

“How do you turn this damn thing off!?” Hoseok’s voice yelled over the music.

 

Jungkook turned towards the front to see the elder turning knobs uselessly. Crawling towards the front, he tried squeezing between the two front seats but the others seemed to have the same idea, no one able to fit through the gap.

 

“Look! We’ve got to help them!” Taehyung called out, pointing towards the nearest building where a woman seemed to be helping a limping man escape. He began to veer towards the people as the others began to argue.

 

“He’s hurt, hyung. What if he’s bit?” Jungkook argued.

 

“He’s hurt. We can’t just leave them.” Namjoon fired back.

 

“No, Tae, we can’t. Look.” Jin said, his voice firm, as a stream of zombies filed around the corner of the building just as the couple approached. They watched as the man and woman stopped in their tracks, seemingly frozen by fear. In a moment they were surrounded.

 

The air in the van seemed to grow cold as they watched the couple fall. Without a word Taehyung veered away from the building once again, keeping to the more open field around the airport. Despite the blaring music the van felt silent as those inside mourned to themselves.

 

“I can’t…” Taehyung mumbled to himself as he reached for the radio. He was finally able to turn the music down to a more acceptable level before he started messing with the dials. Static filled the van before cutting out, the numbers on the radio display scanning forward before stopping again and filling the car with more static and then scanning forward again.

 

“...Emergency Alert System. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beeeeeeeeeeep. The following message has been issued for the Greater Denver Metropolitan Area. All refugees of the current civil unrest are encouraged to make their way to the Pepsi Center at 1000 Chopper Circle in the city of Denver where National Guard units are in place to ensure your safety. Anyone acting out in violence will be turned away. This has been an announcement of the Emergency Alert System. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beeee”

 

Click.

 

The van was plunged into silence as Taehyung finally figured out how to turn the radio off. He let the message they had just heard set in for a moment before asking, “So, how do we get there?” So far, he was still driving around the airport, unsure how to even get off the property.

 

“I don’t know, Tae. Won’t there be a lot of people there? I’m not so sure that’s safe.” Jimin confided in a quiet voice.

 

“The military’s there. It has to be safe.” Jungkook stated with confidence.

 

“Do we know of anywhere else to go?” Yoongi asked, pondering the situation.

 

“Away from this airport would be a good start.” Taehyung declared, perturbed.

 

“You’re going the wrong way, Tae. You need the mountains to be on your left to get back up to the main road.” Hoseok instructed. With that said, Taehyung made a sharp turn in the open field, throwing those in back to the side.

 

Oof! , warn a guy next time.” Yoongi grumbled from the floor. Somehow Jin and Jungkook had landed on top of him and something hard was jabbing him in the back. As the two men scrambled off of him, he reached under himself and pulled a giant wrench out from underneath himself.

 

“Sorry, hyung.” Taehyung sang from the front seat, not sounding very sorry at all. Yoongi just rolled his eyes, still muttering to himself.

 

“What about Boulder?” Namjoon suggested once he had helped Jimin off of him. He was rubbing at his head where he had hit it on the side of the van as he spoke.

 

“What about Boulder?” Jin fired back. “All our stuff is in storage. It’s not like we really have anywhere to go back to there.”

 

“We could see if Troy is doing okay. He’d let us stay with him.” Namjoon countered.

 

“All seven of us? I don’t think we’d fit in his apartment.” Yoongi reasoned.

 

“It doesn’t matter. If the military is at the Pepsi Center then that’s the safest place.” Jungkook chimed in again, determined to get his hyungs there. He just couldn’t think of a place occupied by the military as unsafe. Not when that could possibly mean his family was unsafe. He wasn’t willing to even consider the possibility.

 

“How about if we try the Pepsi Center.” Jin suggested, understanding Jungkook’s need as well as the lack of a better plan. “If it doesn’t look safe we can decide on somewhere else to go instead.”

 

“They’ll have food there. And beds. And showers. A roof to go over our heads… Armed soldiers to keep us safe. I think it’s a great idea.” Hoseok speculated aloud.

 

“Fine.” Jimin acquiesced with a weary sigh. “By the way, hyung, where did you get a gun?” he asked, turning his attention to Yoongi.

 

“From the cop.” Yoongi shrugged. “I thought it might come in handy.”

 

“There’s the road!” Hoseok interrupted with a jubilant screech.


The van whipped to the right and with a hefty bounce over the curb, they were finally on the road. Hoseok began to navigate, reading the signs out of the airport and onto the freeway towards Denver as the others finally sat back and relaxed.

 


 

 

A/N:  Again, I'm sorry this is so late and so short. Please forgive me. I don't know why it was so hard to get the images in my head so I could finally write them down. Part of it was that I was looking for the right song to blare from the car but I obviously gave up on that one. I will do my best in the future to not let this happen again but for now I've got to try to get some sleep so I can work tonight. (Ugh. Work is great at sapping the creativity out of me but I'll work on writing more often so it doesn't get the chance to drain me so much.) 

Please don't forget to subscribe to get notifications of when I update. Also, I'd love an upvote and comments make my life worth living!!!