Exchange of Luck

Like Flying

            The three pampered women sat in chairs, waiting for their signal. Jae nervously shook her hands and Dae anxiously smiled at her. “I’m going to faint,” Dae mouthed.

            “Me too,” Jae whispered.

            Nae, as the execs decided to name her as they had noted the other girls’ nicknames, looked nonchalant as she filed her nails. Though she’d never admit it aloud, she was completely unnerved. This was their first interview as a debuted group. Their music video had been shot in just three days, edited in two weeks and released yesterday. SM was much too excited to show off the group to the world to think of taking their sweet time. “Okay, you’re up ladies,” a man in glasses instructed.

            Jae and Dae instinctively held hands as they approached the stage, Jae’s other hand clutching Chanyeol’s ring. They had practiced their entrance and interview before, but the roaring crowd made it all the more real. Jae squinted with the bright lights, her hands tightening around Dae’s. The shorter girl gave her hand a squeeze. They smiled and bowed at the host and audience. The trio’s eyes met and they did their practiced greeting, however, their synchronized salutation was atypical as they displayed one more related to boy group. “Hello, we are ACE 3.” They held three fingers against their chest and bowed. The host, along with the audience cheered. They sat down after shaking hands with the older man.

            He smiled at the strange array of women. “How about we watch your new music video and then get to know each of you!”

            The crowd cheered and the girls nodded with a grin. Even Nae had a smile on her face, making Jae want to laugh. Everyone’s eyes laid on the screen. Jae was the first to appear. She wore a tight, black bodysuit with a corset and heels. Her cheeks burned, instantly remembering the day of the shoot. The way had gaped and her heart raced when they handed her the outfit. She covered her eyes as she slowly made her way toward the camera with light smoke in the background, she smiled, red lipstick making her look entirely enigmatic. “Ace,” she whispered. She held three black manicured fingers to her plump lips. The music began and the rest of the girls appeared. Dae was wearing similar tight, black glossy pants, a black crop top and leather jacket. Her bright pink lips pulled into a smile, sporting the same ponytail. While Nae wore a leather skirt, combat boots and glossy lips. The video switched back and forth from an intense story line of explosions and shooting, to intense choreography never really done by a girl group.

            The viewers went absolutely insane when the ending credits appeared. The girls bowed in humbleness, Jae’s face genuinely blushing. “Wow,” the host shouted. He looked at the girls slightly longer, releasing another breath of utter shock. “That was truly incredible, unprecedented if I dare say.” He shook his head, smiling at the gorgeous women. “Unbelievable! Now let’s hear a little from each of you.”

            “Hello, my name is Nae and I am the eldest of the group, in charge of singing.” Loud claps echoed in the room.

            “Hello, my name is Dae, the maknae and responsible of dancing.” The claps were louder and hoots were thrown in.

            Jae gulped as the attention was brought to her. These introductions were of course just meant for association as each girl was far more talented then said role. “Hello, my name is Jae. I am the leader. I am in charge of rapping.” A roar of cheers made her jump and she smiled, utterly shocked to get the loudest response. Jae was oblivious to her popularity. Her fame was brought forth for various reasons. She was the most exotic from the group while remaining utterly gorgeous. She was considered the adaptive leader with several skills in her back pocket as more than just more than rapping. Not to mention, unbeknownst to her she’d received the golden seal of approval from the legendary EXO. She bowed repeatedly at the crowd, receiving awes as she fanned at her reddening face, which only embarrassed her more.

            The host went into each girls’ accomplishments. He raved on about Dae was a soccer player who’d received a scholarship and a superb break dancer winning several competitions. He expressed her incredible ability to be a tomboy and adorable all at once. Nae’s achievements were quite superficial, the host complementing her on her modeling years and ball room dancing skills and winnings. Her fascia was on full blast, though her notably crappy personality was peeking through. His eyes shined as he looked at Jae, she flashed him a sweet grin, her hand itching to reach for the ring around her neck.

            “So, I don’t even know where to begin with you,” he sighed. She bit her lip and bowed. “You’re the Swiss army knife of people. You’re Latina, Japanese and American. You speak four different languages.” He took another glimpse at his que cards with wide eyes. “You attended and graduated with honors from a college of architecture while excelling in dancing performances, singing, and gymnastic competitions.” He sighed, wiping non-existent sweat from his forehead.

            She momentarily covered her face. “Wow, I sound great on paper. I’m a mess in reality.” Everyone laughed at her statement.

            “Not true,” Dae interjected. “She’s really smart and skillful.” Jae lightly pushed the girl. “I’m being honest,” she giggled. “And she’s incredibly sweet. She cooks for us and she always checks in on me.” Awes echoed once more. Dae began to laugh. “It’s never a dull moment with her. Sometimes she doesn’t even know what language she is speaking.” Jae’s eyes narrowed. “She’ll be speaking Korean and next thing you know Spanish is spilling out of .”

            “Let’s hear it, give us a greeting in all four languages.”

            Jae grinned and did as he asked. She looked at the camera and flawlessly spoke Korean, Japanese, English and then Spanish. Nae’s eyes slowly trailed to the admired, golden girl. She bit the inside of her cheek, at that very moment, making up her mind once and for all. She hated her.

*     *     *

            The members silently sat around the living room. Their leader had called together a family meeting. His face was tight, not necessarily angry, but more worried. Suho ran his hand through is hair, the events rushing through his mind. Sure it had all seemed like a joke at first, all of the members fighting over her, but it was slowly becoming real. He'd noticed the way Tao liked being with her at all times and the manner in which he got jealous when the others members flirted with her. The way Kai did everything to touch her, the way he froze when she began to dance. He gulped as he thought last night...

            Jae chuckled as Baekhyun told a joke while washing the rice. She chopped celery, beside Kyungsoo who chopped pork, his eyes sporadically resting on her. Until, they admitted defeat, slowly wandering from the meat to look at her concentrated face, which suddenly changed when laughing at Baekhyun's stupidity. She truly had a beautiful smile. She was beautiful. His eyes combed over her, hesitantly stopping at her neck. She tossed her hair back, revealing a thin chain he’d never quite noticed. Following its path... Was that-- Chanyeol's ring? Kyungsoo gulped, his insides becoming hot, his throat tight and he couldn't help feeling somewhat confused to why.

            Suho had noticed Kyungsoo long intense stare, his legs reflexively caring him to them to investigate or perhaps to truly stop it. He wasn't exactly sure why, but his gut told him it would be disaster if his suspicions were true. Tao and Kai were already making him nervous, but now Kyungsoo...

            "Is that Chanyeol's ring?" Kyungsoo asked a little harshly.

            Jae placed her hand on her chest and nodded.

            "," Suho murmured as he heard their conversation. He didn’t have to even hear her explanation to know what it all meant. What it implied. Not Chanyeol too.

            Hearing his name, Chanyeol appeared. "What?"

            "Why did you give Jae your ring?" Jae watched the strange interaction silently. Her eyes flicking between the handsome, tall man to the shorter, gorgeous man. She couldn't understand why Kyungsoo cared, or why he sounded almost mad for that matter. She nervously laughed, her smile faltering at Kyungsoo even more intense gaze than usual.

            "The exchange of luck," Chanyeol simply responded. He held out his wrist upon receiving a raised eyebrow from Kyungsoo. "Jae gave me this bracelet in return," he explained. Chanyeol, the gentle giant he was, never thought this would come out as bragging as it did.

            "She gave you a gift," Tao interrupted suddenly. "Where's mine?"

            "It's not a big deal right Jae? It's just a bracelet," Kai abruptly cut in, his ears red from envy.

            Jae tensely giggled, thinking it all to be a joke again. Suho stepped in lightly smacking Kai's and Tao's back. "Alright enough joking around. Let's not scare Jae," he emphasized with a laugh. "Besides we're all starving."

            "What's going on hyung?" Sehun questioned after a few moments of silence.

            "Yeah, what is this about?" Chen added.

            "Jae," he whispered.

            Eyes widened. "What about her?" Kyungsoo quizzed.

            Suho rubbed his temple, a small breath escaping him. "It's come to my attention that some of you..." He watched their expecting faces. "That some of you like her a bit too much." Tao cleared his throat and looked around. Suho rubbed his neck. "There is no point in denying it. Please let us clear the air. Those of you who like Jae as more than a friend or younger sister, please raise your hand."

            Tao groaned and raised his hand. Chanyeol slowly inched his long arm up. Baek shoved Kai, well aware of his attraction to her. Jongin grumbled and raised his hand. It was soundless for a few seconds. "Kyungsoo," Suho prompted. The members stared in shock as Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and hesitantly elevated his hand.

            "Oh, the rule of three," Yixing gasped.

            Xiumin puffed, his mouth slightly agape as he switched his regard to each man back and forth. Chen placed his hands on the side of his head, shaking it furiously.

            "I don't know if we should use that," Chanyeol interjected.

            A sudden explosion of murmurs erupted in the group as they discussed whether the pact should be activated. They hadn't used it since their trainee days. It simply stated that if more than three members like the same girl, they were all forbidden from flirting with her any longer and even worse, attempting to date her.

            "Okay, we'll take it to a vote," Suho sighed. "All in favor for the activation of the pact, raise your hand. Everyone, but Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun raised their hands. "Majority rules. No one can date Jae," he announced.

            Baek his teeth. “She's single now too,” he mumbled almost teasingly.

            "Is that it hyung," Kyungsoo questioned, doing his best to hide his anger. Suho nodded and he stood up, head shaking as he proceeded to his room. He found it ridiculous. Absolutely stupid. He was never really one to take orders gracefully. Boyfriend or not, rules or not, he was going to like her if he wanted to.

*     *     *

            The sweating group of performers grabbed their things as they slowly filed out of the room. Jae high fived Suho with a grin. Beginning tomorrow, she'd would be performing two different choreographies. Her palms were sweating just at the thought of it, but she was beyond excited. Perfection was all she could strive for.

            “Good work Oppa,” Jae breathed.

            Suho chuckled. “You too Jae-ah.” He lightly nudged her with his hip while squirting some water into his mouth. “How’s your day looking today?”

            She pursed her lips. “I’m not sure.” She laughed in slight embarrassment. “I haven’t really looked at my schedule.” She reached for her phone, only to come empty handed. “Crap,” she whispered. “I’ll see you later Oppa.” Her hair swayed back and forth as she ran into the practice room. Suho shook his head, almost afraid that she was too forgetful.

            Jae lightly let out a shocked sound as she nearly crashed into Chan. He held out his hand with her cellphone. “Forget something,” he teased.

            “Yeah, thanks Chan!” She gave him her radiating smile, leaving him a little speechless. “You’re the best.”

            He shook his head, snapping out of it at the same time. “You’d lose your head if it wasn’t attached.”

            She softly pushed him. “Not true! Besides, like you are the most coordinated and put together person here.” She stuck out her tongue.

            Chanyeol’s deep laugh echoed in the empty practice room. His bright smile made her stomach flutter. She blushed and cleared . Her fingers tucked a stray hair behind her ear as she shyly looked at her phone. She giggled once more. He always made her laugh. God, she needed that. The sadness had the ability to suddenly creep up on her, but these days... The flushed girl looked up at the kind young man standing across from her. He had the talent of chasing it all away. She looked into those puppy dog eyes that warmed her to her core. “Hey Chan,” she began, gaining his warm expression. She looked down at her hands nervously, her heart beating fast and hard. She met his gaze. “Do you want to get some drinks tomorrow? Maybe some jajang?”

            He studied her beautiful face.  That gentle smile of hers had the capability to make him lose his words. “Umm… Just—You and me,” He softly asked.

            She bit her lip and slightly shrugged. “Yeah.”

            He bit his tongue, until he could taste blood, to keep him from instinctively saying yes. He wanted nothing more than to spend every minute with her alone. To find out what she thought of, how she felt, simply enjoy her presence. How he wanted to forget what he had agreed to with his brothers. He gulped. He couldn’t betray them, no matter how much he liked her. "I just really like being around you," she shyly admitted.

            His stomach fluttered with a massive amount of butterflies. A kind smile spread across his lips as he wanted nothing more than reach out and take her hand. “I’d love to, but I’m not sure if that’s such a great idea,” he responded.

            Her cheeks burned even brighter with the rejection. She slowly nodded. “You’re right,” she nearly whispered. “We could get in trouble with the company.” Jae apprehensively rubbed her neck and did her best to smile. “Besides, I don’t want to embarrass you, I can totally out drink you,” she cracked to end the awkwardness.

            His heart sank and lifted at the same time with her sweet attempt to keep things friendly. Chanyeol scoffed. “As if! Look at you, you’re tiny!”

            She beamed, relieved at how quickly they’d surpassed the bump. She tried not to think about how perfect they’d be together. “Even more embarrassing for you!”

            They walked side by side to the rest of the group. “Hey we have some beers in the fridge. You, me, throw down,” he announced.

            “You’re on Channie!”