Here Goes Nothing

Like Flying

            Her feet worked fast against the pavement. Lucky, she’d always liked running, it was her specialty they said. The thumping in her head was similar to the pounding in her chest. Almond shaped eyes flickered from the concrete ground to her hand, to the people in her way and back to the coffee in her grasps. The young woman kicked herself as the panic consumed her. She had to get coffee, when tardiness was already impending. Jae internally groaned, now later than she ever imagined. Yet, could she have survived an entire day without her caffeine dose? College had long set forth a bad addiction as well as poor habits with endless sleepless nights working on projects. There wasn't an out, changing her ways now was impossible. Chills ran up her spine as the adrenaline coursed through her body and the memory of her first day racked through her brain.

            With a violently racing heart inside her ribs, the brunette stared at the menacing four story building before her. In reality, there was absolutely nothing threatening about it. It was a typical commercial building, however, it clutched her future in its clasps. She gulped, her pale hands closed around her bag's strap in utter fear. Here she was standing in a foreign city, preparing herself for the start of a new career. Perhaps a new life.

            Jae had never concluded that she was particularly extraordinary in any way and as she stood there panicking with such an intensity that she thought she was going to faint; the conclusion rang harder in her head. What the hell was she doing?  Why was she there out of all places? Was she remotely good enough?

            Jae Maiya Toma from Seattle, interning in Seoul, South Korea for an architecture firm. Just 22 and recently graduated, her prospect of what her life was to become was dismal. In many ways it was over and it was just beginning. Starting a new sounded exceptional, yet beyond frightening to fail. Not to mention, she was alone. Oceans away from the one place she’d called home. She’d let out a small laugh as she realized her bad luck had to have followed her. Had she truly thought that leaving the country would allow her to lose it?

            Caramel locks brushed against her cold and reddened cheeks as she nodded. Summing up a human being in a few words felt all the more deceitful. She was so much more than she thought, than anyone thought. She had to be. Her slender fingers pulled her coat tighter around her shaking body. Jae was infinitely strong and stubborn and creative and loud. Worrying was a wasted emotion. Confident strides carried her into the building. “Here goes nothing,” she whispered in slight, choppy Korean.

            She jumped over a curb, her pace picked up as the building appeared in the horizon. In reality, her first day hadn't been as successful as she had wanted it to be. Though fascinated by her origin and education, her colleagues slowly began to get annoyed with her difficulty in communication. Jae had taught herself the language, however, there were several things that didn’t translate over very well. There was also a hint of something else in the atmosphere, but she struggled to determine exactly what it was.

            Before she could dwell any further on the issue, she crashed into someone. A small yelp escaped her lips as the hot coffee touched her skin and soaked into in her white blouse. “Sorry,” the stranger remarked after a groan.

             She pulled the wet fabric away from her skin and shook her head. “No, this is my own fault.” It had to be her. “I was--” She met the man's face, only to pause. He had removed his face mask and was quite attractive, but his warm brown eyes were what called her attention. “Too distracted.” Her cognac eyes looked over his ivory skin, she bit her lip and smiled. “I'm late to work,” Jae continued shaking herself out of her momentary daze.

            “No, I should have paid more attention to where I was going,” he replied, his breath catching at his throat. His own eyes settled on the beautiful woman that stood before him.  She looked slightly exotic, solely in the way that he couldn’t place what ethnicity she pertained to, but was evidently American. Though wearing a professional outfit, everything about her told him she was carefree and exciting. He gulped as he studied her long lashes and red, plump lips.

             She couldn't help smiling at the stranger. “No. This is clear karma from the Gods, I stopped to get coffee when I should have been running to the office.”

            He grinned, not only at her odd statement, but because of her thick American accent. How weird it was so fall in love with a stranger’s laugh so quickly. It was sort of deep, but smooth and genuine. “We all have our poison,” he responded, slightly in awe. Their eye contact remained for a few seconds despite the great hurry of the city around them.

            She was the first to break their gaze, looking at her destroyed blouse. “I should go before I get fired on my second day.” The odd sense of calm that had been brought on by the unfamiliar person faded into anxiety once more.

            He noticed the small frown on her face. The young man removed his scarf and placed it around her neck. “It should cover the stain.” He wrapped it around strategically. “Let's just hope the office isn't too warm.” He bared his white teeth as he teased.

            Jae beamed at his kindness and gummy smile. “I better go.” After a quick glance at her watch, she began to sprint once more, trying her best to only look back once. “Thank you.”

            He was left in wonder by the mystery of a women. His logic suddenly struck. “Wait, what's your name?” His question was drowned out by the distance and noise. He groaned and scratched the back of his head. “My name is Min Yoongi, it was nice meeting you,” he mumbled seconds too late. He abruptly smiled and shook his head. Why had he given away his scarf? He shrugged deeper into his jacket and worked fast to place his mask on. It was freezing and a part if his disguise had now disappeared. Yoongi dismissed his puzzlement, the grin still on his face. She was beautiful. Though he'd probably never see his favorite scarf again, he was strangely glad it was with the attractive woman.

            "Hyung," an equally secretive young man called as he came out with a bag from the convenience store. His brow furrowed. "Are you ready to go?” The taller young man watched his older brother carefully. Jungkook had never seen him smile that big as to touch his eyes. He took quick glances around them in search of the culprit. Or perhaps the utter mishap Yoongi hyung had to be making fun of. “Where's your scarf?"

                Yoongi laughed and bit his lip, resting his arm around his younger brother’s shoulders. "Long gone Jungkook.” He sighed and looked out to the spot her figure had long disappeared. “She appeared took my breath along with it and I'm okay with that," he exhaled. Jungkook stared at him in confusion. Before he could ask who, Yoongi added, "Now give your hyung yours."

***

               After the tiest week of her life, Jae strangely enough took in a refreshing breath in the booming nightclub. Her body was aching to reach the dance floor. To let go. To forget about the fact that her boss was frustrated with her not so good Korean. How some of her male colleagues didn't take her seriously being a woman and American. How the other female co-workers thought she was not assimilated enough and odd. She was almost sure she'd offended half of the staff at this point by some unknown, accidental action or statement.

            She shook her head in slight dismay, her straight coppery hair brushing against her cheek and bare shoulders. “Let's go,” one of her fellow interns announced, taking her hand. The short haired, petite Korean woman was one of the few people who seemed to like her, actually the only one. She smiled at Eunbi, relieved to have at least one person by her side.

            “Thank you,” she shouted.

            “Why?”

             Jae shrugged. “For liking me. Everyone avoids me like I'm dying from some sort of contagious disease.” Flashes of distasteful glances came to mind. She could part a sea of people in seconds flat.

            Eunbi laughed and shook her head. “It's not anything you did.” She sighed. “Don't you get it? You're different. The men are intimidated by you and the women envy you,” she put simply. She sighed and placed her hand on Jae’s shoulder. “Come on, you do know you’re scary beautiful, right,” she continued.

            Jae's medium, brown eyebrows knitted together.  “What?”

            She lightly chuckled once more and lightly elbowed her in the ribs. “People are strange. Life would be simpler if people would just stop wanting what they can’t have." She shrugged, her statement so casual despite it's heavy implication. "Do you dance?”

            The confusion and shock slowly faded away and excitement took over. At last she felt confident in doing something right. She nodded avidly. For as long as she could remember, dancing had been a part of her life. A love she couldn't escape.

            When she was eight, her parents had taken her and her little sister to see a beautiful dance about a cursed swan queen who fell in love with a prince. The way she danced... It was almost like flying. Jae had of course been in awe, her sister however, was utterly enamored. If she couldn’t, Jae would take on the mission for her. By the age of ten Jae was one of the best ballet dancers in her school and at the age of thirteen she actually got the part of Odette at her school's Swan's Lake. As she got older the love and sorrow of ballet remained, though her dancing largely changed as she meddled in hip-hop and modern dancing when she matured. It was freeing to flow as you wished, but ballet always seemed to keep her grounded.

            And as if a switch had been , she danced. Forgetting the world around her. Her wings were out and she was gliding. All of her problems and burdens abruptly became small and distant. They were a simple dot in the map of life. Despite the fact that she was in her own world, she hadn’t disappeared. Instead, Jae became the center of attention.

            It wasn't until a man tapped on her shoulder that she snapped back into reality. Her chest rose and fell quickly. For an instance, she considered punching him as a sheer reflex. The countless times she’d been at a club and some trying to force himself on her ran through her mind. However, the flustered young woman had to reminded herself she was in South Korea, which was quite a cultural distinction to what she was accustomed to. And as expected the man looked nice enough, wearing a business suit, tired and perhaps a little too old to be at such a place. “Are you a professional dancer,” he questioned over the blaring music after a polite greeting.

            “No. I've just been doing it for a very long time,” she answered as best as she could. She caught Eunbi watching her with concern. Was this man trying to make small talk in a nightclub? In the middle of the dance floor?

            He smiled kindly, aware of her humbleness and obvious American demeanor. He mentally complimented himself, as a man of instinct he had known she was special. From a distance he instantly knew she was a foreigner, talented, and not to mention attractive.  He handed her a card. “You are extremely good. You should give me a call if you are interested in showing the world your talent. What is your name?”

            “Jae Toma,” she found herself responding to the stranger.

            “Japanese, I see. I’ll make sure to keep an ear out for your name.” He bowed and gave the girl one last smile. “Have a great night.” He nearly patted himself on the back with pride, he knew such a place would be great to search for new talent.

            “What was that,” Eunbi yelled after he left. She eyed the middle age man’s retreating figure.

            Jae stared at the card in her hand. A talent agency? Her fingertips brushed against the phone number. “He wants me to professionally dance.” Her muddled expression looked from the card to Eunbi. She hesitantly handed her the white Bristol board.

            Eunbi abruptly scoffed with half cynicism and half genuine amazement. Jae gave her a curious look. “Woah, they want you as an idol." Jae's continued puzzled expression told her she didn't know what that meant. "An idol,” she repeated and sighed. “It is like a Korean Pop Star. You sing, you dance, you even act sometimes. It's difficult to get in, but as soon as you do, your life changes. And that," she pointed. "Is one of the biggest companies in the business.” She momentarily watched as Jae took in the information. “Are you actually going to go?”

            Jae chuckled, shaking her head as she found the whole idea ridiculous. “No. Architecture is my life, dancing is just... A hobby.” Even she could hear her own self-doubt. The brown haired woman shook her head and smiled. “Now let’s dance, it’s back to reality tomorrow!”

                She held onto the card despite assuring Eunbi she'd thrown it away. And with every morning that she prepared to go to work, her eyes lingered on the card stuck to her mirror. Her fingers twitching at the sight of it. Would it be that crazy if she called? Yes, too insane. She had a job. A career and she was happy. She was happy, wasn’t she?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Author's Note

   Hey guys, this is my first time posting anything. Like ever. Please leave a comment. Let me know what you think? Whether I should continue or not? Really, anything is appreciated! :)