It's Easier This Way

Like Flying

            Jongin felt exhausted, dancing with Taemin was always fun, but on that particular day he simply couldn't get his mind or heart into it. His hands worked quickly to open the dorm's front door. He needed to lie down and just sulk. Dancing wasn't helping him feel better, perhaps some rest would. He wanted to act clueless to why he felt so strange, but it was impossible to do so when the answer was so clear. It was Jae.

            How could she not be affected by his charm? He had never struggled so much before to capture a woman's attention. It didn’t help that he had that image of her in her glowing glory by the moonlit lake stuck in his head constantly. His grip tightened on his gym bag. It wasn't like she hated him or even ignored. They spent plenty of time together. But it was different the way she interacted with him as opposed to Tao or even Kyungsoo. He shook his head.

            His gym bag slipped out of his grasp as he walked into the sight of Jae sitting next to Kyungsoo on his bed, her hands in his hair, his fingers at her waist, their lips engulfing one another's. The couple jumped at the sudden sound of something hitting the ground. Jae's cheeks flushed upon noticing Jongin and Kyungsoo cleared his throat, getting both himself and Jae to their feet. “You—How long—Are you—?” Jongin found himself struggling for words. His body felt like it was beginning to ignite and the pressure against his chest was making it impossible to think clearly.

             Kyungsoo noticed Jongin's hands clenched into a fist. He took Jae's hand and moved her behind him. “We've been seeing each other for a little over two months now,” he confessed abruptly. “But Jongin, this isn't just some hook-up, we really care for each other.” Her hand squeezed his in reassurance.

            “Kai,” she whispered. The heat slightly cooled as he met her gaze. “He's right. I know you guys can get in trouble and I’d never want that,” she added, completely oblivious to the real issue at hand. “But I really do care about Kyungsoo.” The pressure on his chest doubled. The heat suddenly felt like fire on his skin. His penetrating gaze returned to Kyungsoo.

            Kyungsoo's jaw clenched and he swallowed with difficulty. “I think you should go Jae,” he softly spoke.

            She looked up at him in confusion. “But—”

            “Don't worry about it. I just have to talk to Jongin alone.”

            She lingered, her eyes switching back and forth between Kai and Kyungsoo. She sighed. What could be the worst that could happen? “Fine.” She squeezed his hand one last time. “Goodbye. Kai, I know I have no right to ask, but please don't tell.” She hesitated for a second before him, she'd become accustomed to hugging him every time she departed, but something told her this was not the time to do so. She slightly nodded and gave him a meek smile as she placed her hand on his arm. Her touch leaving him even more lost than before.

            The men stood in silence until they heard the front door closed. “Jongin,” Kyungsoo began.

           “No save it,” he spat, putting manners and the formalities aside. “You've been dating her for over two months without telling any of us. But how could you? When you know you're betraying all of us by being with her.”

          “, I hate that stupid pact we made! Can't we be adults about this?”

          “Adults? You've been acting like a child by sneaking around!”

          Kyungsoo groaned and pinched the bridge of his nose. “I want to be with her. What's so wrong about that?”

          “What's wr--? Brotherhood, loyalty, that's what's wrong with it! More than three members claimed to have deeper feelings for her. We agreed!”

          “ that! If the situation were reversed, you would be with her too! I know you Jongin, you wouldn't hesitate! You're just angry because she likes me and not you!”

          Jongin took a step forward, Kyungsoo's words ripping through him, only to be pulled back. They were so focused on the fight at hand that they didn't even notice when the rest of the members had returned. Tao held Kai back and the rest stared in panic. “What's going on,” Tao questioned, his brow furrowed.

          Kai fought against his restraint. “Tell them what's going on! Tell Tao!”

          Kyungsoo bit his lip, almost begging Jongin not to tell Tao. He abruptly knew how this would affect him. His heart felt heavy. Did he not know the whole time how this would end? Did it truly just hit him? No, he always knew deep down inside but he hadn't cared. “Tao—”

          Xiumin joined in on holding Jongin back as he noticed Tao losing his grip. “Tell him Kyungsoo!”

          “Quiet down. What is this,” Junmyeon's motherly voice interjected.

          “You won't tell them? Fine, I will.” He stopped fighting and his eyes bore holes into Kyungsoo. “I caught Kyungsoo kissing Jae.” The room went silent. “They've been secretly dating for over two months and he finds absolutely nothing wrong with his actions.” Kyungsoo felt all of their judging stares.

          Kyungsoo met Tao's gaze. He instantly noticed the redness in his face. The look he got right before he cried. “Zitao—”

          Tao suddenly let go of Kai and swung at Kyungsoo. He landed a right hook on his jaw before the members scrambled and pulled the martial artist away from Kyungsoo. “How could you,” he yelled. “You know how I feel about her! We agreed, you agreed!” Chanyeol watched in disappointment, his throat so tight saying anything became unfathomable.

            "Kyungsoo,” Junmyeon breathed. “Please tell me it isn’t true.” He averted the leader’s eyes, all of the excitement and prospect of dating her dissipating. “We made a pact.”

            “Do we not matter,” Tao continued. His teeth were clenched. "It all meant nothing to you." He shook his head, everyone staring in shock. His eyes began to water with tears. "Then you mean nothing to me."

            Junmyeon took a hold of Tao’s arm. “Zitao, wait. Let us discuss this. We can figure this out. Ma—Maybe she can come over less. She’s--- We can’t let Jae—" The loud thumping of his blood made his head hurt. He couldn’t think straight. Everything was ruined, everything they’d worked for. It was slipping away.

            Tao ripped his arm out of his grasp, freezing mid storm out. His fists unclenching. “No, please continue,” Jae exhaled, on the verge of tears. “What were you going to say Sunbaenim,” she insisted coldly, the rest shocked with her sudden formality. “We can’t let Jae ruin us? Ruin everything,” she finished.

            “Jae-ah,” Junmyeon attempted hoarsely.

            “A pact? Seriously? What? I’m good enough to have around, but not to date. ‘She’s too ed up.’ Is that it?” Jae laughed lightly, her heart hurting beyond description. ‘She’s too damaged.’ “

            Suho shook his head. “That’s not—“

            Jae released a controlled breath. “No, you’re right.” She met all of their gazes. “I’ll make it easy for you. Our business it done. As of now, that’s all we ever were and will be. Business.” She bowed before heading to the front door. The men too shocked to chase after her. She was gone.

*     *     *

            Dae sipped at her mocha, her eyes studying Jae. She looked lost in her own world. That was the expression she’d been sharing for over a week now. Strangely quiet and immersed in some inner thoughts that Dae was afraid she was much too under qualified to handle. However, this was enough. Seeing her like this was painful to watch. “Yah, what’s wrong?”

            Jae snapped out of it and drank her already cold Americano. “What? What do you mean?”

            Dae’s eyes narrowed. “No, don’t give me that confused expression. You know what I’m talking about. You’ve been out of it the past week.” She leaned in closer. “I’m not as naïve as I look. I know when your sad Jae. I’m your friend.” She bit her lip. “And I know it has to do with EXO sunbaes.”

            Jae’s mouth gaped and closed once more. “How?”

            Dae shrugged and took another sip. “You stopped mentioning them exactly eight days ago.” She peered down at Jae’s phone that was faced down. “Besides, I’ve see you ignore Junmyeon and Chanyeol sunbaes calls several times.”

            The brunette let out a heavy breath. “Unbelievable. My mom always said I was like an open book.” She couldn’t help thinking of all the times she had tried to be strong for her mother, pretend she was able to handle the fact that her sister was no longer with them, but she’d always failed. Her face much too expressive. “It’s easier this way.”

            “Is it?”

            “They made a pact Dae, not to date me.”

            Dae in a breath through bared teeth. “Really?” She rubbed at her temple. She knew Jae much too well to know that forgiveness would be difficult. For that reason, Dae had always respected Jae. It took something big to truly make her mad, but once she was, there was no going back. "What about Kyungsoo Sunbae?"

            Jae's eyes widened. "You knew that too?"

            "Come on. They might be oblivious, but I'm not. I could sense it between you two the moment I entered the van. He broke the rules, that must say something."

            Jae laughed. "You'd think. I've ignored all of their calls, except his, because he hasn't called."

            “It is easier then.” Dae smiled and took her hand. “Don’t let it get you down. Just do what you do best: Dance.”

*     *     *

            As if by fate or perhaps a curse, she saw them. All of them. Jae's heart beat harshly inside her chest. It had been three weeks since she'd actually seen them. With their collaboration over, there was absolutely no reason why she should see them. Suho and Chan had called her every day, worried. While Baek, Jongdae, and Sehun sent her constant messages. The others had sent her text messages and called her a couple of times before halting out of fear of annoying her. With the exception of Kyungsoo, who never tried to contact her.

            They all prepared themselves as she made her way toward them. How was it possible for her to look even more beautiful? Perhaps they had simply forgotten of her beauty with her absence. The four members in charge of the activation of the pact couldn't help, but stare at the goddess approaching. Chanyeol cleared his throat, Tao blinked rapidly, Kai clenched his fist, and Kyungsoo struggled to breathe.

            Jae could feel her heart tearing out of her chest. The tears prickled behind her eyes. She refused to look at him. "Like your dancing. Forget the world. No one else exists," she reminded herself. She momentarily bowed at the young men, continuing her walk. Their mouths gaped in shock. Every single one. She'd been so close, they could smell that strawberry and floral scent that always followed her. She'd continued onward, as if they were strangers. She'd only bowed, as if they all hadn't spent four months with her. As if they were nothing.

            She released a slow, heavy breath as their presence faded behind her. "Don't cry," she whispered. As her emotions of pain and betrayal shook through her, she realized that what she was about to do was the best thing for her. She had not been much of an individual to pass her time dwelling on sad events, as her life was abundant of them. Crying was distasteful, weak, and pointless. No amount of crying could fix things. She knew that better than anyone else.

            It was in her clarity that she put together the binder she held in her hands. While some of the employees of SM had attended college, none had attended for architecture. Jae's entire education was based on presenting your ideas and convincing a client to invest their time and money on such aspects. Which is why the CEO of SM, Lee Soo Man, was in utter shock as Jae presented her diagrams and projections in full detail. It was not only in her own best interest, but in the interest of SM, if she expanded her horizons. Jae was fully capable of interacting with other companies with grace and success. As long as it was approved by her own company.

            The man's brow furrowed as he flipped through the pages, his eyes zeroing in on the amount of money. He rubbed his chin, his calculating eyes meeting Jae's. A small smile crept on his lips. This woman was no joke. She had her striking looks, her charisma entirely magnetic, her endless amount of talent, and now her brains far superior to some of his own employees. He began to nod. “Fine.” He released a soft chuckle. “I'll allow it. However, you will adhere to a three-month trial period, in which you must be taken on by at least one project from another company while maintaining your duties in your own company.” He ordered his assistant to take notes as to create an official document. “And if you cannot succeed in said time, your proposition will be void.” His grin widened. “And I can oversee that a new contract is created for you or you leave the company to continue on your path where such ideas,” he announced as he touched her carefully pieced presentation. “Are better received.”

            Jae nodded. She attempted to look as little phased as possible by the man's warning and binding contract. “Yes sir.” She bowed. “Thank you, sir. I will not let you down.”

            He returned a stiff bow. “I would hope not, for your sake.” He took the binder and handed it to his assistant. “Off you go Miss Toma.” Jae bowed once more before exiting the tense office. The strict man looked at his assistant menacingly. “Make sure the team closely analyzes the girl's data.”

            “To search for any faults, sir?”

          He shook his head with a cynical grin. “No, so they can learn how to properly and effectively give a financial investment presentation. My, my, that girl is sharp. Tell security to keep a close eye on her.” 

 

Author's Note: This was long over due, hope you enjoyed!