The Death of Me

Like Flying

                Jae let her hair flutter in the strong wind, a small smile playing on her lips. She held onto her hat. Jungkook reached forward and placed his own hands on her hat, gaining a hard laugh from her. “Thank you,” she chuckled. Jin looked over as he drove the large van, shaking his head with his own amusement.

                Truthfully, Jae had been skeptical about going on this small trip to Jeju. There was always the risk of being seen and starting some scandal, which was why Jae had been very careful not to tell her manager. Keeping things from Taein felt awful, but what he didn’t know would only help him if the President found out somehow. There was also the small matter that occurred a few nights ago. Her heart fluttered as she thought of Namjoon’s full and soft lips. Jae closed her eyes shut trying to chase the memory away.

                Namjoon had been acting strange since then. He held small conversations with her and looked away as soon as she made eye contact. It was clear that he was avoiding her. It had been stupid of her to ever trust someone again. Thus, she felt angrier at herself than she did at Namjoon. As they piled out of the van into a quite isolated part of the beach, Jae avoided Namjoon’s eye contact as if her life depended on it. “Jae,” he softly spoke, almost startling her. He handed her a towel, his warm eyes making her dizzy. She instead reached for a towel held by Hoseok and headed toward the beach.

                “What the hell was that,” Jin whispered as he too watched her march toward the shoreline.

                “I don’t know. I did as you said hyung. I kept myself at a slight distance to not scare her away. Taking it slow as you said.”

                “Maybe the kiss truly didn’t mean anything to her,” Seokjin pondered aloud. “I mean how did she sound when you guys talked about it.”

                “Talked about it? We haven’t.’

                Jin’s eyes gaped wide as he stared at his brother in disbelief. “What,” he nearly exclaimed. “You haven’t?” His fingertips flew to his temples, glaring at the stupidly smart Namjoon. “Are you an idiot? When I said take it slow and don’t overwhelm her, I meant not to become a quick burden. That does not mean you completely pretend you never kissed!”

                They reached the rest of the boys, going silent. Namjoon was consumed with regret and sadness and a hint of fury towards himself. There he’d gone and completely ed everything up in a matter of days. He’d never been this terrible with a girl. Then again he’d never felt quite this way for a girl before.

                “Noona, come on,” Taehyung shouted as the seven men watched Jae comfortable on a towel. She shook her head, picking her book up. “Come on! We came out here to have fun,” he insisted.

“Let me read a bit. Maybe I’ll join.” She tore her eyes away from them wadding in the water and instead looked at the small text, doing her best to focus. This trip was rapidly proving to be a mistake if she couldn’t even be within a few feet to Namjoon.

                Seokjin snuck a gaze at Namjoon and sighed in determination, his brow furrowing as he marched toward her. A broad shoulder Jin picked up Jae. She let out a surprised yelp, utterly surprised by his strength, despite his thin frame. He trudged into the luke-warm water. “Oppa, no,” she half pleaded, half warned. He completely ignored her statement and continued to go deeper into the water. The boys cheered him on, chanting his name proudly. “Seokjin,” she began once more before she was dumped into the salty water. “I’ll kill you,” she choked out as she came up for air.

                The chants changed to her name as she tackled him into the water. Abruptly a massive water fight broke out.  Yells and laughs echoed in the empty beach. Suddenly, Jae went still as she came face to face with Namjoon in the chaos. She slowly breathed, feeling a tingling sensation in her toes. Her emotion no longer avoidable. Why hadn’t he talked to her since the kiss? Actually talked to her as they had before. Had it meant nothing? Was she the only one who felt something? She ripped her eyes away from his handsome face and casually cursed at the savages as she made her way back to shore.

                 They went silent as she took off the soaked, oversized white T-shirt. Their mouths gaped as they scanned her body in a red bikini. Her small fingers rung out the cotton. Namjoon shoved a gaping Jungkook and Jin splashed water on an overly attentive Taehyung. And just like that, another water brawl ensued before Jae noted their gazes.

                Namjoon made his way out of the hurricane and sauntered over to Jae. His heart pounded harshly in his chest, everything suddenly going blaringly silent as he made his way toward her. She absentmindedly dug her feet into the wet sand, flapping her shirt. He combed back his drenched bleach blond hair and attempted to control his strangled breaths. “Are you planning to dig your way back to America,” he lightly teased.

                “Maybe,” she softly replied, not looking up.

                He took her hand. She jerked at his abrupt touch and met his eyes. “Don’t do that. I’d miss you too much.” He smiled, gaining those dimples that made her knees weak. “Besides you’d end up in Brazil as it’s Jeju’s antipode.”

                A small smile played on her lips. She bit her lip and shook her head. “How do you know that?”

                He shrugged, his grip tightening on her hand. “I’m a genius. Who despite having the IQ he has, is terrible at just telling the girl he likes that he’d like to take her out on a date.”

                Yoongi’s eyes subtly watched them. His chest stung as he noted that Namjoon held her hand. He told himself not to feel this way. Sure, he’d laid his eyes on her first and completely fallen the moment she spoke, but that meant nothing. At the end of the day, his feelings were one sided. Despite how he felt about her, he had to convince himself it was alright. That at least it eventually would. How long could he truly like her this much? It was sure to fade. Right?

                “Really,” Jae replied.

                “I was thinking of dinner and a movie.”

                She laughed. “A classic man.”

                He shrugged and winked charismatically. “I’d take you out bowling or to an arcade, but that is sure to end up in some kind of injury,” he joked about his own gracelessness. Namjoon let out a nervous laugh as she giggled with him. “God, I wanted to ask you to be my girlfriend that very night, but I didn’t want to scare you away.” His long fingers reached toward her face and there it was again.

                Jae felt lightheaded. The butterflies in her stomach in complete and utter chaos. He tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear, her face filling with color. She bit her lip and shook her head. “There’s very little things I’m afraid of,” she countered. Their gazes locked and swiftly the entire world disappeared. Jae couldn’t help gulping as the fear of feeling something real became avoidable. The pressure in her chest, the spinning of her surroundings, and the stupid sense that the world had become brighter, were because of him. This feeling she had never  truly felt before.

                “Kiss her hyung,” Jungkook cheered happily.

                Jae’s cheeks burned. She smiled at Namjoon, but her stare hesitantly turned to Kookie. Her glare even scared the crap out of the other members. “What did you say punk.” Namjoon watched as the girl of his dreams charged the maknae at full speed.

                “She’s perfect,” he whispered with a goofy grin.

*     *     *

            Jae listened carefully to the lyrics, at least as best as she could. Yoongi's voice rang powerful, fluid and quick in her ears. From what did register in her mind, her heart fluttered with its impact. gaped and he studied her expectantly. "What do you think?"

            She bit her lip, speechless, and nodded eagerly. His brow rose, still watching her. "It's amazing. More than amazing," she breathed quietly, in shock and partly from not wanting to wake up the boys.

            They had all been watching movies, while Yoongi diligently worked on a song on his laptop. She smiled, understanding why a hardworking and persistent person like Yoongi would sleep every chance he got. The rest, on the other hand, had passed out after a few hours of movies. The three younger ones were sprawled on the ground, illuminated by the screen's light. Kookie's head laid on Jimin's stomach, who had his head on Tae's arm. Jin was fast asleep with a bowl of popcorn on his lap. Next to him on the couch was a sleeping Hoseok in the fetal position, his arm dangling off. Namjoon sat on Yoongi's other side, mouth slightly open, head tilted back. He had been helpful for a good hour before drifting off.    

            “You really like it? You don't think it's too sad?”

            She her lips and pressed them together for a second. “I think it's beautiful.”

            Yoongi slightly nodded, his gaze lingering on her. From the moment he had met her, he couldn't help picking up sadness hidden in that bright light that always seemed to radiate off of her. At that moment, even her eyes seemed to look off into the distance. He cleared his throat, finally getting the nerve to ask her. “Why do you always look so sad?”

            Jae looked at him and lightly laughed. “I'm not sad.” His eyes narrowed, nearly disappearing. He leaned in closer, unmoving by her fib. His eyes continued to stare, letting her know he knew her a lot better than she thought. “How can you tell,” she asked, voice a bit shaky.

            Yoongi released sigh, closing his eyes for a moment before returning his gaze. “Your eyes,” he answered. “You're filled with joy and happiness. You have the kind of laugh that makes everyone around you laugh. But behind those brown eyes, I see sorrow.”

            Her brow furrowed, a small laugh escaping her lips. She couldn’t help gawking at him, with what could only be explained as awe. Her head, lying on the couch, drew nearer to his. “You see it,” she whispered. How had he come to know her so well? “Most of my life has been a black hole.” He gulped, sensing her sincerity. “Disaster after disaster.”

            Her earnest words made him ache in a way he didn’t think possible. He took her hand in his. “But you're still so strong, so bright.” His words actually comforted her, far more than he could imagine. They didn't have the usual pity others gave her. The longer she stared into those familiar eyes, the more time she spent in this small apartment, the less significant the black hole became.

            Namjoon abruptly jolted upward, mumbling something about difficult choreography in his daze. She pulled away from Yoongi, though innocent her gut told her it'd be perceived otherwise. They both chuckled awkwardly at Namjoon's likely nightmare.  “I think I dozed off,” he announced.

            Jae laughed a little louder, tension leaving her. “Dozed off? You completely passed out for three hours.”

            He stood up suddenly. “Three hours?” He looked at his watch, noting it was a little past three in the morning. “Sorry babe!” He ruffled his hair. “I'll walk you home.”

            She nodded and then leaned in and gave Yoongi a tight embrace. “Goodnight.” His arms hesitantly wrapped around her. His eyes of course connecting with Namjoon’s, who was becoming better at masking his discomfort with a tight smile.  An awaiting Namjoon took her hand. Yoongi tried not to look uneasy with them taking each other's hands. Compromise. “That song Yoongi, it's truly life changing. Don’t change a single thing,” she added before exiting the dorm with her boyfriend.

            "Why did you let me sleep so long," Namjoon questioned as they walked through the dark and empty street.

            She smiled at him, his eyes watching her face attentively. "You just looked so cute asleep, I didn't have it in me to wake you up."

            "You think I'm cute," he cooed in his rough voice. He took her into his arms. She laughed, he kissed her cheek, causing more giggles. "You're supposed to say I'm hot or y, not cute."

            She chuckled. "You're all three." Her hands tightened on his arms. "And so much more."

            Dimples formed on his cheeks as his mouth turned into a grin. "Good. As long as you didn't keep me sleeping because you wanted to spend some alone time with Yoongi," he added. Despite his attempt at making a joke, there was a sense of honesty. He couldn't forget how easily she’d taken Yoongi in her arms... How Yoongi always could make her laugh or smile... How at times Yoongi got her better than he did.

            Jae was slightly surprised at the nervousness in voice as she laughed again. "Maybe I did want to spend time with him," she admitted. "He's like my best friend, Joonie," she aggregated. Both statements had not been deceitful, yet she felt as if she were keeping something from Namjoon. Their pace had slowed, she gracefully wrapped her arms around his waist. "I want to spend time with you. With Yoongi... With Jin, Hoseok, Tae, Jimin, and Kookie." Her smile returned. "You're my family," she confessed.

            His arm slowly wrapped around her shoulders and tugged her in. "Okay. As long as you want to spend the most time with me."

            "Always."

*     *      *

            The day had dragged on a little too slow for Namjoon, spending it all in a small cramped room. He rubbed his eyes as they stung from staring at the screen. He bit the inside of his cheek not particularly liking the sound he'd created as of now. He abruptly groaned in frustration, placing his arms behind his head. The opening of a door brought him back. Dimples instantly formed when he saw her. "Babe," he breathed. "I'm going crazy."

            Jae made her way into the room and tried to keep herself calm when his affection reached her. He did look tired, but remained handsome as ever. She grinned and took his face into her hands. "Stay strong," she whispered and kissed his cheek.

            His dimples deepened. God, he felt like he hadn't seen her in so long when it had truly been a short time. Yet, he needed her by his side to keep going. She was his beautiful muse. His eyes studied her curves, her high waisted skirt emphasized all the right features. She was truly gorgeous. He looked into her warm eyes and sighed, "I missed you."

            "I missed you too. That's why I thought I should visit you before I went to practice." Her hand was still on his cheek.

            "Practice? So you're going to leave," he whined.

            She nodded slightly sad. "I have to."

            He shook his head. His large hands laid at her waist and drew her nearer. "Stay." Her heart began to race as she stared at his plump lips pouting, his hands prompting her to sit on his lap. Despite looking nonchalant and confident, his own heart was pounding. She obliged and comfortably straddled him on the large leather chair. She peered into his powerful eyes. Namjoon brushed a lock of her hair behind her ear. "Stay. With. Me." He'd emphasized each word with a kiss. Her cheek, her jaw, her neck.

            Jae bit her bottom lip, her pulse was racing. A small enticing breath left . A smile played on Namjoon's lips. This was their first attempt at intimacy, other than kissing, and he was thoroughly pleased. His hands cascaded to her waist, then hips and lastly her full bottom. He wanted to groan with such perfection.

            Her nervousness hesitantly became desire. With her own sense of sensuousness. "Make. Me. Stay." She followed every word with her own kiss, from his ear, his jaw, the corner of his mouth.

            With every soft kiss, his breath became heavier. He gulped as his stomach fluttered. He swiftly closed the distance between their lips and hungrily covered her lips. The sound of their kisses was much more beautiful than any beat he could create. Pleased breaths escaped into as she tugged his hair. The heat was consuming him, quickly forgetting his work, all he wanted was her. He kissed down, nipping at her neck. Her grip tightened on his hair and he knew he'd found her weak spot.

            His tongue tenderly at her clavicle and she moaned. Namjoon's heart beat faster. His hands moved up, trailing under her shirt. She bit her lip, facing up to the ceiling, eyes closed. "Namjoon," she whispered. Her voice pushed him further, swiftly taking her shirt off. He had her small blouse in an iron grip as his lips traveled to her full . Jae's mind was spinning, it all felt so intoxicating, but she had to stop it. His kisses kept her from speaking, instead of halting him she pulled herself closer.

            A knock at the door made them freeze. "Hyung," Kookie's voice rang. "Can I come in?"

            They stared at one another, eyes wide. "No, I'm busy," Namjoon managed, clearly out of breath.

            There was silence at the other end of the door for a few seconds. "Are you watching those videos again hyung?" Jae's eyes returned to Namjoon from the door knowingly. His cheeks burned from embarrassment. She smiled, close to completely losing it. "You have a beautiful girlfriend, there's no need for that anymore," he prompted.

            Namjoon quickly covered Jae's mouth perceptively. A chuckle vibrated through her as he held his hand over her lips. "Thank you Jungkook-ah, I'll keep that in mind. I'll come look for you when I'm ready." When a good amount of time had passed he removed his hand, her laughs filled the room. "Stop," he complained.

            She pulled herself together. She leaned in and kissed his pouted mouth. When his hands inched their way to her back, she broke their kiss. A part of her was eternally grateful that her brat had broken them up momentarily to allow her to think straight. "I have to go," she muttered against his lips.

            "No," he groaned. He kissed her once more.

            "Yes," she forced herself to say. "And you have to work." She allowed a few more kisses before snatching her blouse out of his hands and standing on her feet. She quickly threw it on and headed to the door.

            He smoothly pulled her by her arm and pressed her up against the door. He'd gained confidence and a hunger for her. "Think of me today." He softly kissed her, his large hand making tender circles against her thigh, hesitantly getting higher.

            She bit his bottom lip playfully, instantly halting him in surprise and pure pleasure. "Always." She gave him a gentle peck before escaping out the door.

            He stood in disbelief as his hands ran through his hair. "She's going to be the death of me," he grumbled as he made his way back to the computer screen.