Marry Me

Like Flying

            Most of the members laid on the floor, their chest heaving from exhaustion. Others sat against the wall, trying to catch their breaths. Jae leaned against the mirror, tired herself. Though she wasn't surprised, this was it practically everyday for the past two weeks. If she wasn't here she was in the studio, she couldn't remember the last time she slept more than three hours. “What is this,” Jongin yelled, his hair stuck to his forehead with sweat. “Are we tired?” The members groaned. “We can't be tired. We're just getting started.”

            Jae chuckled. “We've been practicing since six in the morning sunbae,” she defended her angels. Most of them groaned in agreement. Even the man in charge of recording their practice looked drained.

            Kai gave her one of his legendary smiles. “Six hours is nothing. I still have energy in me for more.” He gracefully glided toward her and extended his hand out. “Do you?”

            The members stood up in outrage and embarrassment at Kai's blatant cheesiness, despite how exhausted they were. Xiumin looped his arm around Jae's waist and dragged her away, while Chen pushed Kai away shaking his head in utter disgust. Baek apologized profusely for such a gross use of words, combined with such an abominable move. She laughed in amusement at their peculiar reactions to such things.

            “Okay tough guy,” Chanyeol interjected. “Let's go. Freestyle dancing and singing from all of us like we used to in the trainee days.” The members clapped in excitement. Chanyeol bit his lip. “Try to keep up Jae and shows us what you've got.”

            Jae gave them her best devil may care smile. “I'm not tired, I was only sticking up for your lazy butts.” They all wooed at her sudden informal statement. She chuckled, always surprised at how rowdy they got.

            Chanyeol nodded and plugged his phone into the stereo. A familiar song filled the practice room. Unfortunately for them, this was one of her favorite Korean songs. She could taste the victory. The members watched one another expectantly. Kyungsoo sang the opening line to Hug Me by Crush. She instantly glided to his side. They watched in awe as she tugged his shirt forward wrapping her leg slightly on his waist. Kyungsoo had to focus on keeping his voice from shaking. He stared into her beautiful brown eyes, hesitantly placing his hand on her back. He managed to move with her fluid body. Most watched in incredulity, others in slight jealousy.

            She draped her arm around his neck. They continued this way until most of the members sang a part impeccably and tried to keep up with Jae's intimate moves. Slight awes escaped their lips when she ran her hand through Chen's hair seductively, and when she pressed her forehead against Suho's, and they lost it when she tugged Kai so forcefully that he nearly fell into her. Chanyeol took over the rapping with Tao and they playfully passed her between them. She was utterly confident in her actions until they began to chant for her to sing right as the rap was ending.

        She shook her head furiously. "I can't sing,” she hissed. She had only sung in the shower, never in front of people. There was no way she was about to embarrass herself before these gorgeous creatures. Sehun suddenly made a chicken impersonation, the rest following suit, and her skin lit on fire. Her brow furrowed and she forced her heart to settle. She took in a deep breath, just as she always did before a dance and zeroed in her focus. She flawlessly continued the song, even pronouncing the Korean words to near perfection. Her hands clenched into fists as she hit the high note.

            The members stared in complete astonishment, never in a million years expecting her flawless performance. Jae sang “hug me” in a rough and y way like Crush was famous for doing. She straightened herself, as she had powerfully crouched down, exhaling the spotless note. Her legs felt weak as she found all the members staring at her. The room went silent when the song ended, the camera man halting the recording as he stared in disbelief. “What,” she whispered, color filling her cheeks.

            “I can't sing,” Sehun mocked her previous statement.

            “That was incredible,” Kyungsoo breathed.

            Jae rubbed her neck nervously. “That was okay.”

            “Okay? OKAY?!” Baekhyun stared at her in astonishment. “That was amazing!”

            Kai couldn't take his eyes off of the perfect being standing before him. “So not only are you a better dancer than most of these guys, but you can also out sing them,” he questioned and clarified all at once.

            “Seriously, you could be a soloist if you wanted,” Chanyeol insisted.

            “No,” she protested. “Besides I always thought I flowed a lot better in the rap than the singing.”

            “You rap,” Sehun questioned in pure astonishment. He suddenly knelt before her. “Marry me!”

            The members looked at their maknae for a split second before all dropping to their knees in unison. “NO MARRY ME,” they all shouted in chaos.

            Her face burned from the blushing. “Stop,” she yelled in laughter. They continued to ask for her hand in marriage. “I'm leaving!” They all reached for her, keeping her from running away. “You’re ridiculous!” Her giggles echoed in the practice room. It was becoming quite clear that they were much more than just co-workers. "I'm never coming back," she theatened. As if she could ever do that.

*     *     *

            President Lee Soo Man sat before the recording rubbing his clean shaven chin. His analytical eyes watching the practice video playing on the flat screen. He hesitantly sat up as he heard the young American woman’s voice. His eyes squinted as he quickly overplayed the benefits. In a matter of minutes, the doe-eyed girl was sitting before him. He clasped his hands together. “Ms. Toma, I assume you’re curious to why you’re here today.”

            She softly smiled and nodded politely. “Yes President Lee.” Jae cleared and uncomfortably shifted in her chair, which suddenly felt too large. Her eyes studied the intimidating older man. Of course, there was nothing particularly terrifying about him. However, just as the typical four story commercial building had intimidated her on her first day, he was her boss. He now held her future in his hands.

            “Well to get to the point, it has come to my attention that you can sing.” Before Jae could shake her head in humbleness or perhaps embarrassment, the President played the practice video. His calculating eyes returned to her when the video was paused. He bit his lip and actually smiled. The smile slightly making her more unnerving than his scowl. “I originally had only intended the group to be dancing affiliated, however, as your other talent has surfaced, it had me thinking several things. First, is there anything else that you’re particularly good at that is not dance?”

            Jae felt her palms sweat and she sighed. She peered down at her small hands, never had she felt so intimidated before. She met his gaze with more confidence. Why should she be scared? “I—Sir, I’m somewhat skilled in gymnastics.”

            He sat forward and set his scrutiny on her. “What do you mean?”

            She cleared once more. “I—um—took gymnastics for seven years.” Her mind couldn’t help going through the years she took ballet and gymnastic classes simultaneously. Ballet had always been for her sister, while gymnastics had been for her. So she’d taken the difficult task to learn both. No matter how sore she was, how sleepless she was, how bruised she was, she never missed a class.

            He lightly laughed. “Somewhat?” He studied the lovely American girl and shook his head. “I am beginning to think you are seriously underselling yourself. Perhaps this is my fault for not allowing you to go through the usual screening process.” He let out a breath and looked at his assistant who up to this point had been fairly invisible. “Have Ms. Toma go through the series test that we would have our auditioning trainee’s go through. As well as the other four girls. Create a profile on each and bring that to me.”

            Jae stared fairly opened mouthed at the situation unraveling. “Excuse me sir, if you do not mind me asking. Does that mean I will be expected to do more than dance?”

            The President grinned, making her anxious once more. “Perhaps Miss Toma, I suggest you be ready at five in the evening to begin the examination.”

            Jae gulped and tried her best not to sigh at the statement. She simply stood up and bowed. “Yes sir, I will not disappoint you.” She exited his office slightly dazed. The pale face young woman pressed her back against a nearby wall, her head spinning. She couldn’t imagine what she would be expected to do. Dancing was just a hobby. She gulped, her trembling hand reached into her pocket. She reflexively called the number in her contacts.

            “Hello,” Suho spoke a little out of breath.

            “Sunbae,” Jae whispered.

            “Jae? What’s wrong?” He instantly detected the panic in her voice. Though he’d only known her for a few weeks, he already knew when she was in distress... He already cared for her.

            “I just met with the President,” she replied in a bewilderment.

            Suho gulped, freezing in his tracks. The other members who were all de-stressing before an interview, stared at their leader. “You met with President Lee Soo Man,” Suho questioned. The members neared practically piling up on each other to hear her voice. The leader sighed and placed the call on speaker phone.

            “Yes.” She sighed. “He called me into his office.  He found out I can sing and asked me what else I can do?” She ran a nervous hand through her hair. “They’re going to put me through some examination.” She bit her bottom lip and tried to control her heart rate. “Should I be worried sunbae?”

            Their eyes widened as they all began to consider the implications of such a test so late into the game. Suho’s older brother instincts took over. “Don’t be worried. Just give all you’ve got. The President must see something in you. If he sees half of what we’ve seen, he’ll be blown away.”

            Jae pressed her lips together and nodded. “I will. Thank you sunbae.”

            “Everything will be okay.” He looked at the smiling members. “We’re all here for you no matter what.”

 

Author's Note: Thought this one should start a little funny. Have that one scenerio we've all wished for come a little true! Happy reading, more to come.