Chapter 9

Pinky Promise

NOVEMEBER - WEEK 13 OF SEM 1 

 

Before the lesson on Wednesday, my girls come to the lecture hall with worried faces and frowns. "What's up? What are those frowns for?" I asked and raised my eyebrow.  

"HeeYeon-ar… honestly… have you broken up with HyunSik sunbae? Or have a fight with him?" SeungYeon asked with her worry voice. 

"Well I am not his girlfriend, obviously I am not having my breakup with him. We just didn't meet each other for a long time doesn't mean that we are having a fight. Why are you guys so worried?" I explained but their frowns still existed. 

"HeeYeon-ah promise us first, you won't be angry or suddenly depressed or something, just keep calm can you?" I nodded, YuJin continued. "When we are walking to this classroom from the subway, we saw HyunSik sunbae linked arms with a girl…' What…? I widened my eyes involuntarily, my habit when I was shocked. 'We took a picture and struggling whether we should tell you or not. But at the end we think you should know." She handed me her phone, showed me the picture. I could see the side cut of HyunSik sunbae and a girl who seems to be the same age with him. They smiled lovingly when they were linking arms. It was weird but I felt my heart sank to my stomach.  

"Do you know who this girl is?" YeEun asked, I shook my head and looked at the picture silently. Why did I feel like this? I had never felt like that, not even for my ex-boyfriend. It just like I was betrayed and felt unutterably disappointed. So HyunSik sunbae was someone like JiHoon sunbae?... 

 "Wait… I found it. That girl is called Son NaEun, no.1 goddess in our school. She is a year 2 sunbae in Hotel and Tourist Management and went to Swiss for exchange this semester, just came back few weeks ago.' That's why I have never seen her and sunbae has a lot of time to play with me... 'She has a lot of fans because of her beauty and family background. Her father is a professor under faculty of Health and Social Science." Our smarty SeungHee reported. Faculty of Health and Social Science?! They were the smartest ones in our university, always described them as god students. So she must be very smart with her father's gene. "There are some comments under the post too' She continued. 'Other students said they saw her being very close with a male student and that is…" 

"HyunSik sunbae…" I helped SeungHee to finish her words. My eyes lost focus and I just stared at the front blankly. Now everything made sense. HyunSik sunbae was busy being with NaEun, so he didn't accompany me anymore, late for his audition, skipping committee meetings. Ha… I know you now Im HyunSik…  

I didn't listen to a word form the lecturer even though I kept staring at the front. My mind went blank and the same question was looping: 'Why?' It was much hurt than any realization that JiHoon sunbae or my ex-boyfriend brought me. And there was a Japan trip coming around the corner. If I said I withdraw at this moment when all things were booked, it would be very awkward and was a trouble to amend the bookings. So I had to go anyway. Hopefully I was in the same room with BoMi sunbae... 

Suddenly, my phone was vibrating. It was HyunSik sunbae calling. I looked at the caller ID, feeling so disgusted. How could I face him anymore. I simply cut it and placed it at the bottom of my bag, made sure I would not feel any vibration so I could shut him off. But the constant vibrations and intensity annoyed me. I fished my phone from my bag, the message kept flooding in.  

 

HyunSik sunbae: HeeYeon-ar~ are you in the lesson?         (12:04) 

HyunSik sunbae: Are you free for lunch?         (12:06) 

HyunSik sunbae: HeeYeonnie~~ Are you here?         (12:13) 

HyunSik sunbae: If you have finished your lesson, call me;)         (12:17) 

HyunSik sunbae: Anyways~ I will wait outside your lecture room. See Ya:3         (12:19) 

 

Why was he insisted to bother me? He could just accompany his girlfriend and forget me. After the lesson, I knew sunbae should be waiting outside the lecture hall, so I took the other door and escaped to the next block which he would not noticed.  

 

HYUNSIK POV  

Why HeeYeon hadn't come out yet? Her girls just came out but I couldn't see HeeYeon was with them. Suddenly someone patted my shoulder. I turned and only saw IlHoon. "What are you doing here?" He asked. 

"I am waiting HeeYeon but I can't see her and she didn’t reply my messages." I sighed. 

"Oh? I just saw HeeYeonnie at block R." He pointed the block that sat behind block N, where we were. So I guess she was avoiding me… but why did she need to do that? A big sigh left my mouth. 

"Hey bro what's with that sigh?" 

"HeeYeonie didn't pick up my calls or reply my message recently and I don’t know why." 

"Maybe I know~' I widened my eyes and let him carried on. 'I just heard her friends talking about NaEun just now before they greeted me. So she may mistake something and that's why she ignored you."  

"HeeYeon knew about NaEun? That's impossible!" I kept thinking how could she know. 

"That's NOT impossible. Do you know you become famous as Goddess NaEun's boyfriend?" IlHoon showed me a Facebook post with a picture of NaEun and I linking arms. 

"… That's not good…" 

"That's totally absolutely not fxxking good bro. You have to explain a lot to our HeeYeonnie~~' He patted my shoulder again. 'I am just wondering why she haven't withdrawn from our trip though. Maybe she wants to give you a second chance. And now you must reveal your identity before you never see her again." I sighed. How desperate I wanted to tell HeeYeon that I had a reason behind to act sweet with NaEun. I just wanted to tell her so bad but I couldn't do it… HeeYeon-ah…  

 

HEEYEON POV 

Here comes the day, the day that we departed for our Japan trip. I arrived at the airport at 7:20 am which was 10 minutes earlier than our gather time. After 7 minutes, BoMi sunbae and IlHoon sunbae arrived. 15 more minutes later, HyunSik sunbae finally arrived. "Sorry I am late." He apologized. Of course you were late, he must be having a lot fun with NaEun sunbae yesterday night for sure.  

"It's okay though, luckily we decide to gather earlier." IlHoon sunbae . Throughout the check-in and waiting time, I barely uttered a word. They didn't scold me or say anything about it, seems like they already knew what had happened. And HyunSik sunbae kept looking at me, which I simply ignored him.  

After 3 hours flight, we finally got there! This time we went to Tokyo since they said they wanted to buy clothes and stuff. When we got out the airport, I linked arms with BoMi sunbae as I didn't want to walk with HyunSik sunbae. We both talked and joked about the boys. That was fun. At least I found something that could distract me from HyunSik sunbae. 

 

HYUNSIK POV 

"Ya Im HyunSik.' IlHoon knuckled my side. 'When are you going to explain to HeeYeon? He is snatching my girlfriend away!" He whined as if it was the main problem now. 

"I will do it tonight." I sighed. I worried whether HeeYeon would accept my explanation or even believe in what I was going to say. Looking at her, walking with BoMi was hurt. Originally, I should be the one who linked her arm or held her hands, I should be the one who could make her laugh and happy. But seems like I had no right for now. After tonight, things would only go better or worse. I hoped it would go better.  

 

HEEYEON POV 

After 1 more hour for JR from the airport to Shinjuku, where our hotel located, it was almost 4pm. We finished the check in and went out again directly, not having a chance to look at our rooms, because we were too hungry. IlHoon sunbae and BoMi sunbae stuck together, and I was on BoMi sunbae's right. HyunSik sunbae changed his position from IlHoon sunbae's left and walked beside me. I didn't bother to look at him at all, or even talked to him. Actually since this morning when we met, we didn't say a word to each other. I was trying to memorize what shop we had around our hotel as we were touring around and looked for what we could have for dinner. This was the first time I went to Japan, everything was written in Japanese and I become illiterate immediately. But I had asked sunbaes at the airport earlier, they knew Japanese, so it would be good to have them as the interpreter. If I got lost or something, I would be doomed.  

"Should we have Ichiran later?" IlHoon sunbae suggested. I had heard this ramen shop before but never had a chance to try even they got a shop in Hong Kong. There was a long queue waiting so it scared me off.  

"But you always eat Ichiran back in Hong Kong, don’t you feel a bit boring?" BoMi sunbae retorted. They always had the couple bickering, which I found it quite cute. 

"That's different! You always eat sushi in Hong Kong but you still want to eat them when you come Japan right? HyunSik also like it a lot and I know our HeeYeonnie has not tried it before." I looked at him in confused, how come he knew? 

"Fine. But we can only have Ichiran for once in this trip. I want to try some new food this time." BoMi sunbae defeated. As we kept walking, I was attracted by a shop that selling leather products. I paused and looked at the window. 

"Can I go in to have a quick look?" I asked and they all nodded. When I first looked at the wallet displayed on the window, I was sure I would be a good souvenir for my mum. After asking BoMi sunbae on the choice of colour, I went to pay. Surprisingly, HyunSik sunbae was paying. Driven by curiosity, I peaked at what he brought, I saw two leather bracelet. One was brown and one was deep blue. For sure, it must be the present for his girlfriend. After I finished paying, we went to Ichiran as IlHoon sunbae said there might be a very long queue so we had to go there as soon as possible. Originally I thought he was exaggerating, as usual, but when we arrived to the shop, even it was only 6 in the evening, people were lining up already.  

"There are a few groups of people here, we might have to wait for a bit longer." BoMi sunbae said when she was doing the counting.  

"Never mind, we have time and not very hungry though." Other nodded when I said. Even though the queue was a bit long, the four of us were able to get into the shop. The tables were arranged like self study room and all faced the stoves that were on the sides. We took some pictures before our noodles arrived. I satisfactorily growled when I first tasted the soup. People always say soup was the soul of noodles. Although I was a bit dull in tasting, I could taste that their soup was quite rich and the portion was so big, compared to the price that it cost.  

After filled our stomach, we headed back to our hotel room. We didn't arrange who was our own roommate and visit our room, this was the first time after we arrived. We brought our luggage up to our level and we now stood in front of the rooms. "So BoMi and I will use this room." IlHoon sunbae grabbed a key card from HyunSik sunbae's hand. I widened my eyes. For all this time, I thought I would be stay in the same room with BoMi sunbae, but now it was out of my expectation.  

"Wait… Shouldn't I be in the same room with BoMi sunbae?" I proposed and IlHoon sunbae shook his head.  

"HeeYeon-ar~ You should be sharing room with HyunSik, just like what you did at o-camp. And I am sure he has something to say to you." He dragged BoMi sunbae inside their room. I blankly looked at the closed door, million thoughts were passing my head.  

"HeeYeonie?" HyunSik sunbae called in a low voice and snapped me back to reality.  

"Let's get in.. I am a bit tired…" I grabbed the key card and passed in to the room. After a few steps down the corridor, a double bed greeted me. "What the...!" I looked at HyunSik sunbae who lowered his head. 

"I thought you are scare of light and is okay to share a bed with me after the o-camp, so I asked IlHoon to book a double room..." He admitted it was his fault. But I was so furious and I knew it would be hard to change room in this high season. I started to unpack my luggage and went to take a bath directly without saying anything or have eye contact with him.  

 

HYUNSIK POV 

Sigh. HeeYeon was really pissed at me now. I took out the ring from my backpack. Did she really forget everything? Would this work for her if she really didn't remember anything. I lay on the bed and stared at TV blankly. After 30 minutes, it feels like forever though, HeeYeon came out with a Japanese bath rob provided by the hotel and I went in and took bath. 

 

HEEYEON POV 

Sigh. That's make me even more regret for going this trip. Maybe I was too much, it was so normal for a good man like HyunSik sunbae to have a girlfriend. I was just his hoobae, I couldn't name a reason for myself to be angry with him, maybe I just didn't want to admit. But I just couldn't stop the fire inside my heart. Maybe I have fallen for him. But it was time to move on… HyunSik sunbae came out with his bath rob and sat down on the other side of the bed. I busy myself with my phone.  

"HeeYeon-ah…" He called me. I struggled should I answer him or not, but I didn't know how to face him. 

"What…?" I softly answered. 

"Ummm… I want to sing a song for you, just listen, okay?" I nodded. It was just a song, not a big deal right.  

 

"A noisily breaking glass bottle, 

is that how we are? 

The sky seems so low, 

it seems like it'll collapse at any time 

You used to ask why I came so late, 

that you waited for me, happy for my love 

But now you're frozen, 

colder than a stranger you run into by chance  

Your bright smile (bright smile) 

your warm embrace (your face) 

It feels like I can't see it or touch it now, 

it scares me 

 

Right now, 

We're like the clock hands at 12:30 

Our backs turned against each other, looking at different places, 

about to throw everything away 

Right now, we're like the clock hands at 12:30 

We're walking to a place 

that we can never return from 

 

Time used to follow us but now it has stopped 

Instead of an "us' it's just "you" and "me" 

Rather than saying every little thing passed by 

It feels like I've lost it instead, 

your hands used to be so warm 

I already know you were being shaken 

so I held onto you tighter 

I held you, I trapped you, 

because my love became more venomous 

Yeah I know it's all my fault but 

I couldn't let go 

of the feelings, the hope 

 

Your bright smile (bright smile) 

your warm embrace (your face) 

It feels like I can't see it or touch it now, 

it scares me 

 

Right now, 

We're like the clock hands at 12:30 

Our backs turned against each other, looking at different places, 

about to throw everything away 

Right now, we're like the clock hands at 12:30 

We're walking to a place 

that we can never return from 

 

When our break up starts to kneel before me 

Then I believe time will follow us once again, 

I believe that time will come 

I'm letting you go right now, 

I'm letting you go and everything has stopped 

But I believe the broken clock 

will move once again 

 

Right now, 

We're like the clock hands at 12:30 

Our backs turned against each other, looking at different places, 

about to throw everything away 

Right now, we're like the clock hands at 12:30 

We're walking to a place 

that we can never return from" I was so shocked. I had never imagined HyunSik sunbae would sing a Korean song. He must have practiced long enough to sing it with high accuracy. "I have practiced so long and hope you will like it." He hanged his head low and murmured. 

"Sure your singing is good, but what are you trying to say?" I turned to him and he took a little box from the night stand. 

"Actually I want to say NaEun and I are totally innocent. I really don't want you to misunderstand us…" 

"It's not like I am someone important to you. You are not necessary to explain anything to me…" I was cut off by him. 

"No. You are someone special to me, it is just that you forgot me." I tilted my head and was confused. He took out something from the box. It was something that I also have. "Do you remember this glass ring? Do you remember my promise? Do you… remember me?"