Chapter 12

Pinky Promise

"Please stay in your seat and never put any part of your body outside the car except it is invited." Our tour guide told us. "And remember to treat the animal nicely, they are lives like us." We have come to the Ueno Zoo, a zoo at the city center of Tokyo. This was my first time to visit a zoo and I was so excited to see all the animal. We first entered the herbivores area. The giraffe was so tall that I cannot really see him in the car.

"You can feed the giraffe with leaves." The tour guide passed us the forceps with the leaves that the giraffe usually eat. I stood up and stretched my arm as much as possible. The giraffe slowly lowered his head and

Stuck its tongue out to pull the leaf into its mouth. It moved his jaw and chewed on the leaf in a really low speed. Looking at this giraffe, I thought I played a video in slow motion. Unconsciously, I started to mock its eating action. When I turned, I saw all sunbaes looked at me. I froze immediately and they burst into laugh.

"OMG HeeYeon-ar that's cute!" IlHoon sunbae slipped laughter between each word.

"No no no… I am not." I blushed.

"You know what, BoMi can pretend gorilla very well!" IlHoon sunbae praised and earned a hit from his girlfriend.

"I can be the witness! She did that really well." HyunSik said.

"Please show me!!" I clutched BoMi sunnbae's arm and begged her.

"Oh! Jung IlHoon you will be a dead meat tonight!" BoMi sunbae warned him and pretend a gorilla. It was perfect in facial expression and voice.

"Maybe later you will meet your parents." IlHoon sunbae and he ended up being beaten by BoMi sunbae. The cart passed the habitat of other animal and they looked really tame. When we reached the gate of the carnivores, we have to change to a tour car with grids that have smaller square. After the car entered the area, we can see a tiger coming from a far distance. When it reached our car, our tour guide passed us a raw meat with the forceps to us. I tried to put the meat outside, the tiger stood up immediately and swallow the meat directly. Although that tiger didn’t look at us into our eyes as we were its target, the tiger and I matched our eyes for an few instant, I felt like he would really swallow me down his throat just like that piece of meat. The car kept moving forward and we saw a bear that stood up and walked, just like human.

Leaving the carnivore's area and bid our farewell to the tour guide, we went to the other animal zones. I read the map and rushed to the area with fennec fox. "HeeYeon-ah~ walk slowly please." Since HyunSik was linking my arm, when I rushed to my ultimate love, he was dragged by me.

"Andwaeyo~~ My lovers are waiting for me~~"

"Your lover? I am here babe~~" He tried to kiss me but I dodged.

"Aigoo Im HyunSik how shameless are you?" I lightly slapped his face.

"That's hurt!" He whined and touched his face but I just walked to the fennec foxes. They lied on the stones and I could see some visitors asked to touch the foxes and they were tame that seems like harmless. I read the instruction posted on the wall, it said the visitors need to wear protection clothes and completely sterilized our hands before touching the animal. When the feeder handed me a small fennec fox, I held it like newborn baby. It looked so fragile and tame. I lightly touched its hair, even though I was wearing gloves, I could feel that its hair was so soft. At that instant, it looked at me. Its black eyes seems endless and pulling me deeper and deeper. And then it looked away. Maybe it was a inborn hypnotizer. When our round was over and after visited all the other animals, our trip in the zoo also came to an end.

As we still got some time before our dinner in Skytree, IlHoon sunbae suggested to visit the Tokyo National Museum of Western Art, which was just a walkable distance away from the zoo. At first, I thought it would be quite boring as I was not a big fan of art, but I got some other thing to appreciate when we got into the museum. HyunSik sunbae started to look at every art piece with a serious look. People always said the most attractive moment of men was when they were being concentrate. I quietly raised my phone and took a picture of him. I admired the picture and smiled unknowingly. "HeeYeon-ar~" HyunSik sunbae called me. At that moment I thought I was caught by him that I took a picture of him secretly and immediately threw my phone into my bag. "Why are you so freaked out when I call you?" He laughed.

"Ahh…. No… I'm just thinking of something else."

"Oh~ Let's go, it's about time to go to Skytree."

We took the subway for few stations and reach Skytree. The restaurant was located at the Floor 350 which was 350 meters above the ground. As we had 4 people, we were assigned to one of the 4 person table by the window side. At this high altitude, the night view of Tokyo was shown clearly in front of us. The sky was gradually become darker, and the light decorations became sharper along time. It was like the galaxy in the sky had fallen down onto the ground. Luckily the menu was decided by the chef and I could take more time to enjoy the view.

"HeeYeon really has the full credit for bringing us to this high-end restaurant." IlHoon sunbae said.

"Should we take a pic or something?" BoMi sunbae brought her camera out and suggested. We took a picture and the waiter served us some champagne. "Should we also do some cheers thing?"

"For this trip!" IlHoon sunbae started.

"For our friendships and love!" BoMi sunbae followed.

"For HeeYeon's birthday." HyunSik shyly added.

"Hey my birthday is tomorrow. But anyway, CHEERS~~~" I announced and we lightly touch our champagne flutes together. After not a long time, the food was served. The food was so great and it was the highest class food. I must have saved the world in my last life to have a chance to taste these fancy dishes.

We still got sometime after dinner and the shops were not closed yet. Thus, we went back to Shibuya to wander around. "HeeYeon ar~ tell me if you want something, I will buy that for you as a birthday present!" BoMi sunbae linked my arm when we were wandering in an accessory shop.

"Tell me too! I will also buy you one." IlHoon sunbae said and walked to HyunSik sunbae. I expected HyunSik sunbae to follow the queue and suggested the same request but he didn't. I looked at him who was walking in far away. He mouthed something that I guessed it was 'I have some other thing for you', the both men also whispered for awhile and I was really curious about what they are talking. Then I saw a plain black choker and I asked BoMi sunbae to buy that for me. We went to another boutique afterward. There was an one-piece dress that caught my eyes. I was sure it matches with the choker and a denim jacket. And that's what IlHoon sunbae bought for me.

When everyone got what all their wants, we went back to the hotel. HyunSik sunbae slipped into the bathroom for bath first. It was unusual because he would usually let me take the shower first. Maybe he was tired or something. After awhile, he came out, it seems like he took more time than usual. Maybe he was touching himself... Aigoo Yoo HeeYeon what are you thinking!

 

HYUNSIK POV

After HeeYeon got into the bathroom, it is now 23:45. I texted IlHoon and asked him if he was ready or not. He just said everything is going within my plan.

 

30 minutes ago in a Shibuya boutique

"Hey bro did you plan any surprise for her tonight?" IlHoon approached me. But I have nothing in my head, I just think of what to send as a gift but not any surprise.

"No, what's wrong?"

"Im HyunSik you only know HeeYeon herself but nothing about relationship right? Women love surprises and events. You must plan something to do at her birthday so that she know how much you value her." IlHoon gave me a lesson and this must be his own experience with BoMi. "Look at how silent  you are now. But don't worry, BoMi and I will bring a cake to your room at midnight."

"So… so what do I need to do?"

"Just keep HeeYeon at the bathroom at midnight, and we will be standing by when she come out."

 

After five minutes, IlHoon and BoMi came with a cake that they just brought from the hotel café.  "What cake is that?" I asked them.

"I started to doubt if you really understand your girl or not, you don’t even know what is her favourite cake? That's disappointing!" IlHoon smack my arm and I sissed.

"No, I remember HeeYeon told me that she doesn’t love to eat dessert… about 13 years ago." Both of them shook their heads.

"It is New York cheesecake. She told me she loves cheese cake the most even she is not a dessert maniac." BoMi took the cake out and started putting candles on the cake. Suddenly, the water running voice stopped, we quickly wore the birthday hats and got ready in front of the bathroom door. After 3 minutes, it was midnight and she came out on time. When the door was opened, we started to sing birthday song in a Capella style. HeeYeon just stood there and became emotionless.

 

HEEYEON POV

Heol! I almost jumped when I cam out from the bathroom. I had never imagined sunbae-nim would prepare this surprise for me. Immediately after they finished their performance, I burst into tears. "HeeYeon ar why are you crying?" BoMi sunbae pulled me into her embrace.

"So long… I have never have my birthday celebration at midnight with my friends… Thank you so much!" I was so moved by what they had done for me. For all these years, except for HyunSik who lived next door when I was a child, I didn’t have any really close friend that would celebrate my birthday at midnight. But I was so lucky to meet these babo at my very first year in the university. When I calmed down, I made my wish and blew the candles off.

"Wa!! Happy 19 HeeYeon ar!!!" "Have a beautiful and sweet one!" "You have really grown up a lot HeeYeon ar." They all cheered for me and that's warm my heart.

"I don’t know what to say except for thank you. Thank you for the cake, your wishes, and... literally everything!"

"It's just a very small thing. We will do everything for you, right?" IlHoon sunbae said and elbowed HyunSik sunbae. He looked at IlHoon sunbae and nodded. We shared the New York cheese cake which was really delicious. BoMi and IlHoon sunbae went back to their room after we finished the cake. I lay on the bed and HyunSik did the same. He came closer slowly and hugged me. I turned to face him but he was so close, I almost crashed my lips onto his. He smiled and looked at me without saying anything. I slowly drifted my focus to his lips. At this close distance, I could clearly see even the smallest line on his lips. It seems like there is a hallucination calling me to taste these lips.

"HeeYeon ar…" My heart rate sped up at the instant when he called me. He looked at me intensely, maybe he wanted to… "We better sleep earlier as I will bring you to somewhere special tomorrow morning." I felt my heart just stopped when he told me to sleep earlier. He hugged me closer and turned off the light. Seriously, all this time it was just my own feeling to him that he seems like have something for me. And frankly, I also grew some feeling for him. It was all my guessing, maybe our feelings were not mutual, especially when he had another one to take care of…

-

The alarm went off at 8 am sharp. It was the day before we go back to Hong Kong. Even though the alarm was set by HyunSik sunbae, he was still sleeping peacefully when it was dancing on the table. Or maybe he just pretended sleeping like yesterday? "HyunSik ar~~ Wake up~~~" No response again, but this time I pulled away the blanket.

"Arrrr…. So cold HeeYeon ar…." He curled into a ball and stirred around, tried to get a warmer spot. But it was impossible as I pulled away the blanket.

"Wake up now!!" I pulled his arm and let him sit up. I held his face by both hands and made him look at me. He opened his eyes for just a little bit. It was so cute that I wanted to kiss him if my sane allowed me to do so. "If you wake up now then I will freshen up with you." Then he opened his eyes in all of a sudden which was a bit scary.

"Let's go!" He was so hyper and dragged me into the bathroom. He squeezed the toothpaste onto both of our toothbrushes and tucked one into my mouth. I started to brush my teeth and I looked at him. He was smiling like a fool and his smile was so contagious that I smiled as well.

HyunSik sunbae held my hand and led me to somewhere. I kept asking him where we are going, but he kept silence. Before I wanted to give up and ran away, we entered a salon. "Salon?" I looked at him curiously. "I did plan to make a hair cut when I go back to Hong Kong but not this soon."

"It is still the same to do the hair cut here. And I know you want to make dip dye, so that's why we are here." I widened my eyes. "Are you asking me why do I know?" I nodded. "Because I am a genius." He laughed so evilly. My only concern was that I don’t know Japanese so I couldn't really communicate well with the hair stylist. Luckily, HyunSik sunbae became our interpreter. As this was my first time to do dip dye, I let the stylist to choose a colour that suitable to my original hair colour but sharp enough. He mixed something in the bowl and applied it to my hair. He did the same to HyunSik's hair.

"You are dying your hair too?" I looked at his hair that cover with white paste.

"Yes, coz I want to change my look with you." He smiled with his teeth showing up. After the paste was on my hair for 45 minutes, we were brought to wash off the paste. As I thought all the procedures were done, I saw my hair become hazel colour.

"Omo! My hair was bleached!" Then the hair stylist applied another layer of paste to my and Hyunsik's hair. Both of them are white pastes, it was really hard to tell what colour we were doing. After my short nap for another 30 minutes and washing off the colour, the lower part of my hair became green in colour, to be exact ferrous green, which looked great. When I looked at  HyunSik's hair, I almost got a heart attack. His hair was now white in color but it suited him well. How could he be able to carry both light and dark hair colour. After the hair cut was done, I took out my wallet and wanted to pay for the bill. HyunSik stopped me and paid for both bills.

"This is the present that I want to give you. And luckily it suit you really well!" He ruffled my hair. We leave the salon and took the subway again. This time I asked him to go to a place called Hachioji with me. It is a place that one of my radio dramas was set. I really curious what it was like.

When it was only a stop before Hachioji, I could only see woods outside the window. I was puzzled that I brought him to a rural place that it might lose our precious time. After we arrived the station, it was located inside a large department store. I stepped out the store and it was out of my expectation. Hachioji was not a hustle district like Causeway Bay or Central in Hong Kong, not much tourists. It felt so cozy because of the low density of low storey houses were around. It reminded me of my home town. Walking down the street, the wind was not too strong and suited the aura of this place. There were not much people around, even the residents, maybe they went to work. "HeeYeon ar, how do you know this place? It is so healing!" HyunSik sunbae held my hand and walked around.

"It is actually from one of the radio drama. At first I thought it must be somewhere rural, but it is so comfy here." I commented and HyunSik smiled. "If I am married in the future, it would definitely be a fortune to live here." I looked around, it is really a place that people can enjoy relaxing life.

"Then we should buy one as our home later." He smiled and looked around to search for a nice apartment.

"Heol… who said I will marry you?" I chuckled at his confidence. Suddenly, he pulled me into his hug and placed his lips on mine. I was so shocked to react. This was the first time he kisses me. It was a short but sweet one.

"What about now? Not marry me?" He smirked but I wouldn’t give in that easily. I shook my head and he kissed me again. This time the duration was longer than the previous one. "How about now? Still not yet?" I keep shaking my head but couldn't hold my smile anymore. Of course he kissed me again and I reacted to his kiss. After what seems like forever, he pulled away as we both needed air. "Now?" He asked again. I decided to play with him the last time.

"Um……" I looked upward and pretended to think deeply.

"HeeYeon ar~~" He whined like a baby again.

"Ok I got it~ I will marry you."

"Oh yeah!!!" He threw his arms up and running around me. How could he be so cute. We wandered around a bit. HyunSik hugged my waist tightly, like he will lose me if he doesn’t do so.  We walked pass a music store when we kept wandering around. He pulled me inside and went to the instrument session directly. He sat down in front of a piano. "HeeYeon ar~ please listen to this, I start to compose this song just a few weeks and would like you to hear this as this is a song for you." He said timidly. He gently place his hands on the piano. He pressed down and the music come out in smoothly. He also added some ad-lib in the intro part.

"Woooooo~~~~ hooo~~

I only said this inside, only said it with my heart

My earnest prayer

At the darkness sky, without knowing

I prayed for you out loud

Please give me one chance

Please come back to me"

"Sorry I haven't come up any lyrics for this part." He smiled again and continue when the song reached its .

"I'll be your man, I won't ever let you go again

I can't just leave you like that again

Please call my name

I can't live without you, please come into my arms again

I can't leave you alone anymore, baby I just pray"

I stunned in my position with an aww. He may have taken me as expressionless. "How is it? You don't like it?" He asked nervously.

"No I don't like it but I really love it!! You do have a great ability of composing and singing. You should publish your song to the public!" I commented. Starting from Missing You, to Star, all were his self-composed songs and all were incredible. I wished one day he could be a famous singer-songwriter.

It was time for us to go back to Shinjuku and had dinner. As we had separate itinerary with IlHoon and BoMi sunbae, we had to settle our dinner by ourselves. I insisted to have some street food as our dinner since we didn’t have much money left after all the shopping and the salon trip. When we exited the subway station, a mini food cart was parked at the exit. We examined closely and saw that it sold Takoyaki that was as large as a baseball, which was unbelievable. The chef used an extra large grill mold and on top of the original ingredients, he put some cheese, lettuce and other fillings. We bought two of the four flavors which were cheese Takoyaki and original. We went to the supermarket afterwards. It was almost 8pm by now. We read some blogs before we came and they all said usually the supermarket would have a great discount on the handmade food like dumplings, sushi and sashimi. We bought another large box of dumplings and Sashimi on rice. We shared these food back in our hotel room. The takoyaki was so delicious that I couldn't get enough of it even I have already have two halves of them. The dumplings were also too much for us. Luckily HyunSIk ate a lot and he ended up eating all the remaining food.

We had a great day and trip in these few days. Except for the first bit of the trip that I had wasted a bit of time with him, he was being so sweet and caring. Even though he was like this, he didn’t actually confess or tell me that three magical words to me. I was really wonder what relationship we were having but it was too shy to ask him directly. Maybe this kind was the 'some' relationship that the Korean always said.

===================================================================

So after this chapter, there is a hidden chapter between chapter 12 and 13, I named it as chapter 12.5. 

You can read it here -> Chapter 12.5

WARNING: It contains MATURE CONTENT!!! Think twice before clicking the link. It is okay that you skip that.