Falling Today

When They Fell

Part 2/2

        The train ride to Mark's  (and Yugyeom's) apartment was rather awkward for Jackson. Mark and Yugyeom chatted now and again and tried their best to involve Jackson too, but Jackson could not cope with their ramblings and gave up trying to fit in the conversation. Thus he gave his seat to a man standing near him and he himself stood, looking aimlessly outside through the glass of the door. 

         Jackson noticed Mark looking up at him at intervals and it made his heart flutter to some extent. But whenever Mark looked back at Yugyeom to continue their talk, Jackson felt disappointed. And he did not know if he had the right to feel that way or not.

          Their apartment turned out to be pretty nice, kind of cozy. It was not very spacious, but enough for two souls. They had an attached kitchen and living room, separated by a wooden block which came upto Jackson's belly. There were many pictures which hung on the wall of the living room. It had Mark and Yugyeom, doing stupid poses or eating or just standing. Two pictures caught Jackson's attention specifically. In one of the pictures, Mark was squished between two guys and in the other, Mark and Yugyeom stupidly smiled to the lens with pizza boxes in their hand, in their matching red hair, just to annoy Jackson. 

        While the second picture left a bitter feeling in Jackson's gut, he pointed to the one with three people and asked Mark about the identity of the two other people with him. "That's Jinyoung and Jaebum." Mark said, looking at the picture adoringly. Jackson raised his brow in astonishment. Mark led out a chuckle and went to say, "I never got to introduce you to Jinyoung when we were..." Mark trailed because what could he say? Dating? Together? No. Though he loved Jackson and Jackson loved him back, they were never official. So he left the ending word to be silenced and continued, "Anyways, I was so certain that I would never see him again. I knew I had lost Jinyoung forever. But I was wrong. One day I got a call from an unknown international number. I picked it up and when the other person called my name, I knew it was him." Jackson listened attentively as Mark carried on, "I won't lie Jackson. I cried. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard Jinyoung's voice. I was scared to even speak back but he told me he had to called to thank me. He, and Jaebum of course, thought that I was responsible for their relationship. Jinyoung realised that Jaebum was perfect for him and vice verca, they were like soulmates and had I never cheated on Jinyoung, they would never get to become closer."

          Jackson scrunched his face at the explanation, which he thought was pretty lame. "Wow" he exclaimed. (He regretted never asking for Mark's number himself while Jinyoung had. But then again, he was not sure if Mark would be happy if he called him so he cancelled the regret part.) Mark openly laughed at Jackson's reaction and continued, "I know you think it's lame, right? But I am just happy that I got back my best friend. They even visited us some months ago. And I would be lying if I say I didn't feel a bit  jealous seeing them so happy and lovey-dovey. But now we are in good terms. We even Skype from time to time." Mark seemed to get lost in his thoughts about something for a while so Jackson had to cough to bring him out of his reverie.

         Jackson dared not ask Mark about the second picture, so Mark proceeded to show Jackson the rest of the house, which was not much. Mark showed him their little balcony, the toilet and bathroom. And then Jackson noticed something which crushed his heart. There was only one bedroom.

       While Mark was busy showing Jackson their home, Yugyeom appeared from the bedroom with his bag and came towards the two who were now standing in the balcony. "Mark hyung, I'm leaving for class. Have fun with your friend. If I'm late, don't wait up for me. Just eat your dinner and go to sleep." "Okay Yugie. Go show Youngjae that you can do anything" Mark said as he put his thumbs up. Yugyeom left with a loud "bye hyungs" which got lost as he shut the door. 

          The apartment was suddenly filled with silence. Jackson leaned on the railing of the balcony and fixed his attention on a paper ball that was lying on the road below. Mark copied him and both of them stared at the ground together. 

       Mark finally spoke. "Seriously Jackson, what about Bambam?" "Seriously Mark. I don't know. He told everyone that he dumped me because I was a dickhead. And then after a month he started dating this really hot girl, Sharon or Shayon, whatever her name was. I recently heard that the two are engaged. But seriously again Mark, I don't give a about it. So stop asking about him." The previous silence took over. And yet, once again, it was broken by Mark's sudden question, "Do you want tea?" Jackson released the breath he was holding and looked at Mark. So Mark asked another, "Or coffee?"

       As Mark was preparing coffee, Jackson sat on a stool near the counter in the kitchen. He kept staring at Mark's back, which Mark could obviously feel. He finally gathered the courage to ask Mark about Yugyeom, "Mark. Why do you have matching hair colours?" Mark looked towards him and then to the photograph that hung on the wall with a thoughtful face and smiled while saying, "I'll tell you. But promise not to laugh." "I promise." Jackson immediately replied. So Mark proceeded, " So me and Yugyeom had this stupid discussion about who could eat more pizza when Jinyoung and Jaebum were here. Jinyoung announced that we should have a competition and whoever could eat three boxes of pizza would win and the loser had to dye his hair red for six months." Mark paused to pour the coffee into a cup and handed it to Jackson. He then continued, "Jinyoung took that photo when we both lost and had to dye our hair. Isn't it hilarious? I was not going to do it but Yugie proposed we should not back out from our words. I really did not want to but that kid really has his ways with me."

          Jackson was not sure what was happening but as Mark continued to talk affectionately about the younger, he could feel his blood getting hotter than the coffee in his hand. He sipped the hot coffee and he was sure he burned his tongue and palate but he had to keep his mouth shut lest he should say something bad to Mark. Mark had been constantly talking about Yugyeom's cute ways, "And then this one time we were so drunk we almost kissed.." Mark was stopped but a loud noise of porcelain hitting the floor and he could see the cup Jackson was holding now laying scattered on the floor in multiple pieces. Jackson gritted his teeth and said in almost a growl, "ing stop it Mark. I cannot take it anymore. I cannot sit here, listening to your love story, in this house, where I don't know you've done what not with that kid." 

     Mark's eyes went wide at Jackson's harsh words and realization of how his talk about Yugyeom had seemed to Jackson. He was shocked to know that Jackson would think that way about him so he tried to clear things out, "Jackson please. Don't assume anything. I'm not...." But he he cut off by Jackson again who seemed all red with anger, "Mark. I've been thinking about you everyday for the past three years. All I wanted was you. All the fame I earned seems so incomplete without you. But look at you. You are so enjoying your life having fun with friends and a little kid. What are you? A e?" Jackson's voiced raised to the highest with the last words.

       Jackson heard it before he felt it. The stinging feeling after Mark slapped him slowly spread on the left cheek. "That's what you think of me? A e?" Mark said with red eyes. "Get out of my house." He growled, his tears threatening to fall. Jackson turned in his heels to leave but Mark spoke again. "Actually wait. Let me enlighten you before that." 

       Having said that, Mark grabbed Jackson and led him to his room which, to Jackson's surprise had two beds with a big table in between. He was more surprised to see tiny himselves pasted on the wall on one side, in his various poses from different advertisements he didn't even remember. Mark then said, "You think it was hard for you? It was harder for me. To see and hear you in T.V but be unable to touch you. I would listen to your interviews even on the radio Jackson, just so I could hear your voice and imagine you were talking to me. I ing collect the papers and magazines which have even a small picture and article about you like a crazy fan. You don't know how much I wanted to come back to you. But you know what? I thought I should not complicate things for you and I was content seeing you in the other side of the screen if it meant your career to flourish. How much I wanted to call you when Jaebum and Jinyoung told me about you and Bambam separating long time back and how hard it was to control myself, it is known only to me. How I wanted to hold you and be held..." Mark's tone softened as his tears lefthis eyes. "Mark.." Jackson tried to move closer but Mark flinched away and said in a colder tone, "But what am I gonna do? The person I love eternally says that I'm a e doing bad things to kids. Heck I didn't even know Yugyeom was interested in guys until yesterday when he revealed to me his plan of proposing to Youngjae to become his boyfriend." 

"Mark. I'm sorry for assuming." Jackson said looking down.  "No Jackson. I need to clear my head. You really hurt me. I thought we could someday have a good reunion with kisses and love yous but I guess you don't trust me. I guess you never read my note. Now please leave."

         Jackson slowly walked towards the main door, his mind replaying Mark's note. "I'll always love you" it had read. And Jackson cursed his mind for doubting the words but the damage was already done. He shut the door to Mark's house and sat down on the floor softly rambling sorry. He didn't know he was crying until he saw a spot on  the floor below, wet and shiny with his tears.

 

 

Author's note: Longest chapter till now. Misunderstandings creating havocs. Stupid Jackson making assumptions. 

Hope you like the chapter. The story is going to end in the next two chapters.