Something Else

Collision
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Moon Byul's POV 

It's been three days since Eric's arrival and our house has been on a bright mood lately because of that. I was glad though. Even my mother was really shocked at first but she was all jumpy and really happy that her one and only nephew would be staying for a few months with us. It's been 2 years since we had seen each other in personal although we see each other on FaceTime or on Skype but still it wasn't enough. He's been busy for the past years because he's been helping Uncle Jin, his father, with their business and also with his college life. He was accepted in New York University that's why he's fluent in speaking English. Even he's outside of the country, he never failed to help Uncle Jin with their business. He has always been an obedient and responsible son to his father. And that's what I admire about him. 

By the way, he's taking up medicine. He's actually a nerd. 

But now, it's all different and i hate to admit this, but I really missed him. He's my one and only cousin and he's 3 years older than me so he's like a big brother to me. 

We've been asking him why he's returned here in Korea and why he's here. 

"Why are you here though? It's not that we don't want you here it's just that we're all surprised because you've been out of the country for your education for the past years.." my mother questioned him with a deep thought. "Jin hasn't said a word to me that you'll be coming back and even you staying here in Bucheon when in the first place you and him live in Seoul," she added. 

"Ah, I told him not to tell you anything about this because I really want to surprise all of you. I arrived two weeks ago and stayed there in Seoul with him. I even helped him with stuffs about his business. I just missed Bucheon more than Seoul, I guess." 

"But how can you miss your studies in New York? You have a scholarship, right? And you're on your second year in college... so why miss it?" I asked out of my curiosity. 

"I thought you'd never ask," he let out a sigh and rubbed the back of his neck. "I had a scholarship... But I lost it. I just couldn't manage two jobs, Byul. And I'm really disappointed of myself. I really wanted to pursue medicine and I was really good at it... but I just couldn't leave my father alone with our business. I know he's been really sorry for what happened to me but I really want to be by his side especially in times of troubles. I always knew studying outside of Korea was a tough choice. There were times where I'd starve myself so that I could just pay for the rent and for the things that I needed for school. I never told him about it until I decided to tell him before I came back here. He was really broken to hear it and I was too, but the truth is already out and I have accepted it. It was both our dream but it's just too high for us to reach. Right now, what's important is that I am here and I'm healthier than ever and that I can help him more. And I know that someday, I'll reach my dream. Not now nor tomorrow but someday. Maybe all I need is time." 

I felt sorry and broken to hear this from him. I never knew he has gone through a bad condition for the past years. I felt sad that he hasn't told me anything about him starving himself just to pay for his rent. I always thought he was doing fine there in New York because that's what he's been saying to me when we call each other. But I could never blame him. I could never get angry about him. I knew he made a very tough choice but what can I do when he's already here? All I can do right now for him is to support him and help him heal. Maybe all he truly need is time. Time to heal and time to regain his strength back. I should be happy that's he's a lot healthier than before. 

"I really want you to finish your studies there in New York, Eric. You're smart and I know there are many opportunities waiting for you here and there. And I know it's your dream that almost came true... You know you could've called me. I'm really willing to help you. You're my one and only nephew and I'm really broken to see you like this. I want to help you, Eric. If you decide to go back there, you know I'm just right here," my mother assured him. 

"Uh, auntie. That's too much. I really want to help my father with our business and I just can't—" 

"Please, Eric. Think about your future too. And I know your father really wants you to finish your studies there in New York. He really wants you to be successful. And we want to see you in your success. You've been fighting all your life, and now you're giving up? What's the point of having a smart mind if you don't use it?" my mother tried to persuade him. 

"I know. I know, auntie. I really want to be successful with my own career too. And I know there are many opportunities open for me out there. Just like I said earlier, all I really need right now is time. I've been thinking about it but I don't want to get stressed yet. But I'll keep that in my mind. Thank you aunt Hyun for your concern," he gave him a weak smile. My mother just nodded at him and gave him an "alright" look. 

"But did you have friends there? Was New York that awful?" I joked to ease the drama. He chuckled. 

"New York is very breathtaking though they are also other beautiful sceneries in America. Like beautiful girls," he wiggled his eyebrows at me. And from that, his left arm earned a slap from me. "And yes, I have good friends there. But you know, it's different there. I just can't bother them with my own problems either because I know they have theirs too to handle," he shrugged. 

"Maybe that's why you failed some of your classes because instead of listening to your teacher you're busy looking at those girls," I retorted. 

"Stop it, Byul. Wait I have to buy ingredients in the market for our dinner later. I'll be back. Please don't rip each other's throat okay?" my mother quickly got up from her seat and grabbed her car keys and went outside. 

Meanwhile, me and Eric still continued to annoy each other. 

"I never said that i failed some classes! I never failed one of my classes! And no, I have no time for that. I may admire them but I will never try to make a move on them. It's a waste of time and money," he rolled his eyes at me. 

"Yeah, you just can't be broke and have a broken heart at the same time. And maybe you're not their type!" I stuck my tongue out at him. 

"Excuse me ma'am but girls have gone war for me," he ran his hand through his slick black hair. 

Gross. 

I faked puking at his remark and he just started shaking his head at me. We just continued bickering at each other until we heard the doorbell rang. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter